University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Stomatological Society of Evans Dental Institute records

Ms. Coll. 1008

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
Creator:
University of Pennsylvania. School of Dental Medicine.
Title:
Stomatological Society of Evans Dental Institute records
Date [bulk]:
1947-1964
Date [inclusive]:
1897-1964
Call Number:
Ms. Coll. 1008
Extent:
0.4 Linear feet (1 box)
Language:
English
Abstract:
The Evans Dental Institute, today known as the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, was founded in 1878 as the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery. The Stomatological Society was a professional organization based within the school, active in the middle of the twentieth century, that served to further the knowledge and interests of dentists and dental students. The collection is comprised of papers used by officers of the Stomatological Society to manage the organization. Financial documents, membership applications, secretary and treasurer's ledgers and a small amount of memorabilia comprise the bulk of the collection.
Cite as:
Stomatological Society of Evans Dental Institute records, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

The Evans Dental Institute, today known as the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, was founded in 1878 as the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery. After merging with the University of Pennsylvania in 1909, Thomas W. Evans, a prominent dentist to European nobility including Napoleon III, left the school a generous sum of money to construct what would be, at the time, the best equipped dental building in the United States. The Stomatological Society was a professional organization based within the school, active during the middle of the twentieth century, that served to further the knowledge and interests of dentists and dental students.

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of papers used by officers of the Stomatological Society to manage the organization. Financial documents, membership applications, secretary and treasurer's ledgers and a small amount of memorabilia comprise the bulk of the collection.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts,  2014 July 11

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Justin A. Bortnick

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research use.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Form/Genre(s)
  • Correspondence
  • Financial records
  • Membership lists
Subject(s)
  • Dentistry--Study and teaching

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Business affairs, 1952-1964.

1

Membership and internal correspondence, 1950-1961.

1

Membership applications, 1952-1962.

1

Membership lists, 1947-1954.

1

Memorabilia, 1897, 1951.

1

Provident Tradesmens Banking, 1959-1962.

1

Secretary's record, 1948-1961.

1

Tradesmans Land Title Banking, 1950-1955.

1

Treasurer's ledger, 1948-1959.

1