Search Finding Aids
Ms. Coll. 1371
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- circa 1850
- Call Number:
- Ms. Coll. 1371
- 1 box (0.2 linear foot)
- Language Note:
- Captions in German and French.
- A scrapbook created in Gemany by an unnamed person aroung 1850. The scrapbook comprises cut-outs of lithographs and various prints. Several examples of 19th century Scherenschnitte in black silhouette images appear throughout the volume.
Cite as:Ms. Coll. 1371, Scrapbook, circa 1850, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania
- Finding Aid's Permanent URL:
Scope and Contents
A scrapbook with a patterned paper cover created in Germany by and unnamed person around 1850. The scrapbook comprises cut-outs of lithographs and various prints, chiefly in color. Several examples of 19th century Scherenschnitte in black silhouette images appear throughout the volume. The illustrations, some full page, are artistically arranged. The scrapbook includes images of birds, children playing, dogs, farm animals, men hunting, people, and soldiers in various uniforms. Spanning three pages is an illustrated alphabet of famous men. There are a few religious scenes from the life of Jesus. Some pages are accented with images of butterflies. Some of the illustrations have captions in German or French. The picture scrapbook was probably inspired by the children's educational books published by Friedrich Justin Bertuch. Spine is cracked and covers are loose.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Donna Brandolisio
This collection is available for research use.
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Source of Acquisition
Sold by Christel Morner Buch und Kunst (Hamburg, Germany), 2018.
Controlled Access Headings
- Albums (books)
- Color lithographs
- Cut-paper works
- Manuscripts, German--19th century
- Animals--Pictorial works
- Birds--Pictorial works
- Scrapbooks--19th century--Specimens
- Silhouettes--Germany--19th century
- Sodliers--Pictorial works