Search Finding Aids
Photograph album by a British soldier
Ms. Coll. 1324
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- Photograph album by a British soldier
- Date [inclusive]:
- Call Number:
- Ms. Coll. 1324
- 1 box (.3 linear foot)
- Photograph album kept by an unidentified British soldier in the Royal Air Force stationed in India during World War II. The album spans from 1944-1945 and is comprised of 330 photographs.
Cite as:Photograph album by a British soldier, 1944-1945, Ms. Coll. 1324, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania
- Finding Aid's Permanent URL:
Scope and Contents
A photograph album kept by an unidentified British soldier in the Royal Air Force stationed in India during World War II. Spanning approximately one year from 1944 to 1945 the album comprises 330 black-and-white photographs with captions in white ink. The images are of fellow soldiers, military stations, planes, temples, churches, landscapes, local people, and cultural customs. The photographs were taken at several cities in India including Agra, Avadi, Chennai, Kashmir, Lucknow, Mumbai, Port Suez, and Wellington. There are images taken in Pune of Air Force stations with soldiers, bomber, and reconnaissance Mosquito planes. Other military sites include Arkonam, Avadi, and Wellington. Several pages in the volume are dedicated to historical sites in Agra, Kashmir, Lucknow and include sightseeing images of temples, buildings, and people. There are two pages with views of the Taj Mahal. Several pages have a heading at the top: "General scenes of Indian life". The scenes depict beggars, families, dances, festivals, fishing, house boats, historical sites, landscapes, snake charmers, and streetscapes. The years 1944 and 1945 appear on the verso of many of the snapshots. A few photographs in the volume are loose. The green album is housed in a black canvas slipcase. Several pages at the end of the volume are blank.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Donna Brandolisio
This collection is available for research.
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Source of Acquisition
Sold by Davephotopics (eBay), 2017.
Controlled Access Headings
- Manuscripts, English--20th century
- Photograph albums
- India--History--British occupation, 1765-1947--Pictorial works
- India--Social life and customs--pictorial works
- Great Britain--Royal Air Force--Pictorial works
- Soldiers--Great Britain--20th century--Pictorial works
- World War, 1939-1945--India--Pictorial works