University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Methodist Episcopal Hospital (Philadelphia) School of Nursing records

MC 190

Methodist Episcopal Hospital (Philadelphia) School of Nursing records

MC 190

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
Creator:
Methodist Episcopal Hospital Training School for Nurses.
Title:
Methodist Episcopal Hospital (Philadelphia) School of Nursing records
Date [bulk]:
1905-1944
Date [inclusive]:
circa 1900-1991
Call Number:
MC 190
Extent:
18 Linear feet
Language:
English
Text: [Box]
1
Abstract:
The Methodist Episcopal Hospital was located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It opened in 1892 and soon afterwards established a nursing school. This collection contains student nurse records from the early 20th century and financial records from the World War II period.
Cite as:
Methodist Episcopal Hospital (Philadelphia) School of Nursing records, Barbara Bates Center for The Study of The History of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Summary Information

Repository:
University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
Creator:
Princeton Community League. Visiting Nurse Committee.
Title:
Princeton Community League Visiting Nurse Committee records
Date [bulk]:
1924-1938
Date [inclusive]:
1924-1950
Call Number:
MC 3
Extent:
0.2 Linear feet
Language:
English
Abstract:
The Princeton Community League Visting Nurse Committee collection includes administrative, financial, and miscellaneous records, primarily dating from the 1920s and 1930s. The collection documents the growth and expanded services of the Visiting Nurse Committee, the relations with Princeton Hospital, and other individuals and agencies concerned with public health in the early twentieth century.
Cite as:
Princeton Community League Visiting Nurse Committee records, Barbara Bates Center for The Study of The History of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

The Methodist Episcopal Hospital School of Nursing, Philadelphia, was started by nurse Linda Richards at the time the Methodist Episcopal Hospital, Philadelphia, opened for patients in 1892. Originally the hospital was located on a full city square in South Philadelphia at Broad, Wolf, Ritner, and 13th Streets. The Hospital became affiliated with Jefferson Medical College in the 1950s, and in 1961 its name was changed to Methodist Hospital. In 1996, the Methodist Hospital became part of the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Its present address is 2301 S. Broad Street.

Biography/History

The Princeton Community League traces its origin to 1898 when the Village Improvement Society was established. The sole nurse was Majorie Cox who worked for the Village Improvement Society until 1902, when the Society hired Jennie E. Yates. During Yates' tenure, the Society incorporated in order to secure property and start a small hospital. Ida W. Anderson replaced Yates as the Society's nurse in 1908 and Ella Johnston replaced Anderson in 1917. Through the Society's efforts, the Princeton Hospital opened in 1919 with the chairman of the Visiting Nurse Committee as an ex-officio member of the Hospital's Board. Johnston stayed on as nurse only two years before entering private duty work. Upon her departure, the Society appointed Marjorie Leedom as visiting nurse with her residence at the Princeton Hospital. Leedom remained until 1922 when the Society re-appointed Johnston as the visiting nurse, who remained in that position at least until 1938 when the documentation begins to thin out. The Village Improvement Society changed its name to the Princeton Community League in 1923 with the Visiting Nurse Committee continuing under its auspices. The Committee's peak service year occurred in 1935 with Johnston looking into 4358 cases, of which 971 were free.

Scope and Contents

According to the donor, these volumes are among the few remaining records of the Methodist Episcopal Hospital and its nursing school. Most of the records were severely damaged in a flood at the Methodist Hospital sometime after it became part of the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, circa 2000-2001. Other surviving records were donated to Drew University and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.

This collection consists of three volumes: Two volumes of student records, 1900-1915, and one volume of "Financial Contributions to U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund," 1943-1948.

Scope and Contents

The Visiting Nurse Committee of the Community League of Princeton records constitute .2 linear feet and include administrative, financial, and miscellaneous files. Although the collection dates as late as 1950, the bulk of the records range from the Committee's incorporation in 1924 to 1938. The collection documents the growth and expanded services of the Visiting Nurse Committee, the relations with Princeton Hospital, and other individuals and agencies concerned with public health in the early twentieth century.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing

Publication Information

University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Bethany Myers

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Bethany Myers

Access Restrictions

This collection is unrestricted.

Access Restrictions

This collection is unrestricted.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift of Jean Kunkle Magilton, 2012.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift of Princeton Medical Center.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Methodist Episcopal Hospital Training School for Nurses.
Form/Genre(s)
  • Financial records
  • School records
Geographic Name(s)
  • Philadelphia (Pa.)
Personal Name(s)
  • Magilton, Jean Kunkle
Subject(s)
  • Nursing schools.
  • Nursing students

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Princeton Community League. Visiting Nurse Committee.
Form/Genre(s)
  • Administrative records
  • Financial records
Geographic Name(s)
  • Princeton (N.J. : Township)
Occupation(s)
  • Public health nursing
Personal Name(s)
  • Doody, Dennis W.
Subject(s)
  • Community health nursing
  • Visiting nurses

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Series 1.  Student records, 1900-1915.

Volume I, October 4, 1900-March 22, 1912.
Scope and Contents note

Student records. Includes names of applicant, date entered, acceptance status, date accepted, date finished, records of work on wards or service, number of days in each service, and remarks.

Volume 2, March 1904-October 1915.
Scope and Contents note

Grade book. Volume includes the following information: name of student, monthly average marks in each subject, name of examiner, scores on lectures and classes, and ward experience for years 1-3 of the program.

Beginning in 1909, record also includes additional personal information on each student including age (in years), height, weight, level of education completed at time of admission, comments on the student’s performance, and notes on any illnesses during the student’s period of enrollment at the school.

Correspondence regarding students, circa 1947-1991.
Scope and Contents note

This file contains several letters relating to former students Methodist Episcopal Hospital School of Nursing. Also included is a maternity ward card for the Hospital.

Return to Top »

Series 2.  U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund financial records. 1 folder of loose pages.

Record of Financial Contributions to the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund, 1943-1948.
Scope and Contents note

Ledger showing amounts contributed to support the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund. Contributions are broken down to show the type of expense covered including Maintenance, Stipend, Tuition, Textbooks, Indoor Uniforms; Outdoor Uniforms; and Miscellaneous (Fees, etc.). Figures show amounts “allowed by USPHS” [U.S. Public Health Service].

It is not clear from entries who is doing the collecting. Record for Dec. 1945-May 1946, for example, lists names of contributors: these include names of physicians, the Methodist Hospital, the payroll department, and possibly outside companies such as General Biological Supply.

Sums are substantial. For instance, figures for May-July 1946, for “USPHS Quoted on 35 Cadets,” show that the account was debited $35,169.

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Series 1.  Administrative, 1924-1938.

Scope and Contents note

This series consists of records that document the organization and growth of the agency. The annual reports, arranged chronologically, provide a very general overview for each year. The reports include the number and types of cases treated, and usually includes financial information. The 1936 annual report provides an historical sketch of the agency tracing back to the 1898 Village Improvement Society and statistics and charts documenting six years of service. The correspondence files cover the acquisition and maintenance of automobiles which were increasingly used by the visiting nurses, the relationship between the Committee and Princeton Hospital, and the National Organization for Public Health Nursing.

Box Folder

Bylaws, 1924.

1 1

Annual Report.

Box Folder

1931.

1 2

1932.

1 3

1933.

1 4

1934.

1 5

1935.

1 6

1936.

1 7

1937.

1 8

1938.

1 9

Correspondence.

Box Folder

1934.

1 10

1936.

1 11

1937.

1 12

1938.

1 13

Return to Top »

Series 2.  Financial, 1929-1950.

Scope and Contents note

This series consists of an indenture establishing the Ellen Scott Memorial Fund, agreements with Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, and financial ledgers.

Box Folder

Ellen Scott Memorial Fund, 1929.

1 1

Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, 1944.

1 2
Ledgers.
Box Folder

1934.

1 3

1935.

1 4

1936.

1 5
Box Folder

Information, 1950.

1 6

Return to Top »

Series 3.  Miscellaneous, 1936-1950.

Scope and Contents note

This is a small series of newsclippings and community publications, and some miscellaneous notes covering the latter years of this collection. The notes include such things as brief correspondence, hours of service, and reconditioning a 1946 Studebaker.

Box Folder

Newsclippings, 1936-1946.

1 1

Notes, Miscellaneous, 1950.

1 2

Return to Top »

Methodist Episcopal Hospital (Philadelphia) School of Nursing records

MC 190

Methodist Episcopal Hospital (Philadelphia) School of Nursing records

MC 190

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
Creator:
Methodist Episcopal Hospital Training School for Nurses.
Title:
Methodist Episcopal Hospital (Philadelphia) School of Nursing records
Date [bulk]:
1905-1944
Date [inclusive]:
circa 1900-1991
Call Number:
MC 190
Extent:
18 Linear feet
Language:
English
Text: [Box]
1
Abstract:
The Methodist Episcopal Hospital was located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It opened in 1892 and soon afterwards established a nursing school. This collection contains student nurse records from the early 20th century and financial records from the World War II period.
Cite as:
Methodist Episcopal Hospital (Philadelphia) School of Nursing records, Barbara Bates Center for The Study of The History of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Summary Information

Repository:
University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
Creator:
Princeton Community League. Visiting Nurse Committee.
Title:
Princeton Community League Visiting Nurse Committee records
Date [bulk]:
1924-1938
Date [inclusive]:
1924-1950
Call Number:
MC 3
Extent:
0.2 Linear feet
Language:
English
Abstract:
The Princeton Community League Visting Nurse Committee collection includes administrative, financial, and miscellaneous records, primarily dating from the 1920s and 1930s. The collection documents the growth and expanded services of the Visiting Nurse Committee, the relations with Princeton Hospital, and other individuals and agencies concerned with public health in the early twentieth century.
Cite as:
Princeton Community League Visiting Nurse Committee records, Barbara Bates Center for The Study of The History of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

The Methodist Episcopal Hospital School of Nursing, Philadelphia, was started by nurse Linda Richards at the time the Methodist Episcopal Hospital, Philadelphia, opened for patients in 1892. Originally the hospital was located on a full city square in South Philadelphia at Broad, Wolf, Ritner, and 13th Streets. The Hospital became affiliated with Jefferson Medical College in the 1950s, and in 1961 its name was changed to Methodist Hospital. In 1996, the Methodist Hospital became part of the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Its present address is 2301 S. Broad Street.

Biography/History

The Princeton Community League traces its origin to 1898 when the Village Improvement Society was established. The sole nurse was Majorie Cox who worked for the Village Improvement Society until 1902, when the Society hired Jennie E. Yates. During Yates' tenure, the Society incorporated in order to secure property and start a small hospital. Ida W. Anderson replaced Yates as the Society's nurse in 1908 and Ella Johnston replaced Anderson in 1917. Through the Society's efforts, the Princeton Hospital opened in 1919 with the chairman of the Visiting Nurse Committee as an ex-officio member of the Hospital's Board. Johnston stayed on as nurse only two years before entering private duty work. Upon her departure, the Society appointed Marjorie Leedom as visiting nurse with her residence at the Princeton Hospital. Leedom remained until 1922 when the Society re-appointed Johnston as the visiting nurse, who remained in that position at least until 1938 when the documentation begins to thin out. The Village Improvement Society changed its name to the Princeton Community League in 1923 with the Visiting Nurse Committee continuing under its auspices. The Committee's peak service year occurred in 1935 with Johnston looking into 4358 cases, of which 971 were free.

Scope and Contents

According to the donor, these volumes are among the few remaining records of the Methodist Episcopal Hospital and its nursing school. Most of the records were severely damaged in a flood at the Methodist Hospital sometime after it became part of the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, circa 2000-2001. Other surviving records were donated to Drew University and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.

This collection consists of three volumes: Two volumes of student records, 1900-1915, and one volume of "Financial Contributions to U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund," 1943-1948.

Scope and Contents

The Visiting Nurse Committee of the Community League of Princeton records constitute .2 linear feet and include administrative, financial, and miscellaneous files. Although the collection dates as late as 1950, the bulk of the records range from the Committee's incorporation in 1924 to 1938. The collection documents the growth and expanded services of the Visiting Nurse Committee, the relations with Princeton Hospital, and other individuals and agencies concerned with public health in the early twentieth century.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing

Publication Information

University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Bethany Myers

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Bethany Myers

Access Restrictions

This collection is unrestricted.

Access Restrictions

This collection is unrestricted.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift of Jean Kunkle Magilton, 2012.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift of Princeton Medical Center.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Methodist Episcopal Hospital Training School for Nurses.
Form/Genre(s)
  • Financial records
  • School records
Geographic Name(s)
  • Philadelphia (Pa.)
Personal Name(s)
  • Magilton, Jean Kunkle
Subject(s)
  • Nursing schools.
  • Nursing students

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Princeton Community League. Visiting Nurse Committee.
Form/Genre(s)
  • Administrative records
  • Financial records
Geographic Name(s)
  • Princeton (N.J. : Township)
Occupation(s)
  • Public health nursing
Personal Name(s)
  • Doody, Dennis W.
Subject(s)
  • Community health nursing
  • Visiting nurses

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Series 1.  Student records, 1900-1915.

Volume I, October 4, 1900-March 22, 1912.
Scope and Contents note

Student records. Includes names of applicant, date entered, acceptance status, date accepted, date finished, records of work on wards or service, number of days in each service, and remarks.

Volume 2, March 1904-October 1915.
Scope and Contents note

Grade book. Volume includes the following information: name of student, monthly average marks in each subject, name of examiner, scores on lectures and classes, and ward experience for years 1-3 of the program.

Beginning in 1909, record also includes additional personal information on each student including age (in years), height, weight, level of education completed at time of admission, comments on the student’s performance, and notes on any illnesses during the student’s period of enrollment at the school.

Correspondence regarding students, circa 1947-1991.
Scope and Contents note

This file contains several letters relating to former students Methodist Episcopal Hospital School of Nursing. Also included is a maternity ward card for the Hospital.

Return to Top »

Series 2.  U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund financial records. 1 folder of loose pages.

Record of Financial Contributions to the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund, 1943-1948.
Scope and Contents note

Ledger showing amounts contributed to support the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund. Contributions are broken down to show the type of expense covered including Maintenance, Stipend, Tuition, Textbooks, Indoor Uniforms; Outdoor Uniforms; and Miscellaneous (Fees, etc.). Figures show amounts “allowed by USPHS” [U.S. Public Health Service].

It is not clear from entries who is doing the collecting. Record for Dec. 1945-May 1946, for example, lists names of contributors: these include names of physicians, the Methodist Hospital, the payroll department, and possibly outside companies such as General Biological Supply.

Sums are substantial. For instance, figures for May-July 1946, for “USPHS Quoted on 35 Cadets,” show that the account was debited $35,169.

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Series 1.  Administrative, 1924-1938.

Scope and Contents note

This series consists of records that document the organization and growth of the agency. The annual reports, arranged chronologically, provide a very general overview for each year. The reports include the number and types of cases treated, and usually includes financial information. The 1936 annual report provides an historical sketch of the agency tracing back to the 1898 Village Improvement Society and statistics and charts documenting six years of service. The correspondence files cover the acquisition and maintenance of automobiles which were increasingly used by the visiting nurses, the relationship between the Committee and Princeton Hospital, and the National Organization for Public Health Nursing.

Box Folder

Bylaws, 1924.

1 1

Annual Report.

Box Folder

1931.

1 2

1932.

1 3

1933.

1 4

1934.

1 5

1935.

1 6

1936.

1 7

1937.

1 8

1938.

1 9

Correspondence.

Box Folder

1934.

1 10

1936.

1 11

1937.

1 12

1938.

1 13

Return to Top »

Series 2.  Financial, 1929-1950.

Scope and Contents note

This series consists of an indenture establishing the Ellen Scott Memorial Fund, agreements with Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, and financial ledgers.

Box Folder

Ellen Scott Memorial Fund, 1929.

1 1

Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, 1944.

1 2
Ledgers.
Box Folder

1934.

1 3

1935.

1 4

1936.

1 5
Box Folder

Information, 1950.

1 6

Return to Top »

Series 3.  Miscellaneous, 1936-1950.

Scope and Contents note

This is a small series of newsclippings and community publications, and some miscellaneous notes covering the latter years of this collection. The notes include such things as brief correspondence, hours of service, and reconditioning a 1946 Studebaker.

Box Folder

Newsclippings, 1936-1946.

1 1

Notes, Miscellaneous, 1950.

1 2

Return to Top »