University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Starr Centre Association of Philadelphia

MC 9

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
Creator:
Starr Centre Association of Philadelphia.
Title:
Starr Centre Association of Philadelphia
Date [inclusive]:
1894-1973
Call Number:
MC 9
Extent:
5.5 Linear feet
Language:
English
Abstract:
The Starr Centre was a settlement house with an extensive array of programs in South Philadelphia and Germantown. Through its Medical Department and a cooperative agreement (later a merger) with the Visiting Nurse Society of Philadelphia, the Starr Centre provided home health care to Philadelphia's African American and immigrant communities. This collection contains the agency's administrative records documenting its long history of service, as well as photographs, artifacts, and scrapbooks.
Cite as:
Starr Centre Association of Philadelphia records, Center for the Study of the History of Nursing, School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

Mr. Theodore Starr (b.1841-1884) established Philadelphia's first Progressive Working Colored Men's Club with the Coal Club from 1878-1893. This began a series of philanthropic establishments that would develop later into a fully-fledged cooperative community service association. Soon afterward, Mr. Starr founded the Starr Bank, the first Penny Bank in Philadelphia, in 1879. The Penny Bank was established to provide local South Philadelphia residents with a place to set aside and save a certain amount of their money and wages for future purposes. As a forerunner of the City Parks Association, Mr. Starr bought two small plots for gardens on St. Mary Street between 1880 and 1882. These plots, named the Starr Garden, were used as a public playground and gardening center for the neighborhood children. Starr also founded the St. Mary Street Day Nursery in 1880, one of the first programs to care for young children while their mothers were at work. The Starr Public Kindergarten was started two years later. The St. Mary Street Free Library also began in 1882. In 1895, the Starr Kitchen was established to serve low-priced, nutritious meals.

With a combination of all these and other efforts, the Philadelphia Starr Centre Association was organized in 1897. Mr. Starr had begun the building operation for the Starr Centre at 700 Lombard Street in 1880, but due to his death in 1884, it was not resumed until 1887 by Miss Hannah Fox. The Octavia Hill Association, based on a London philanthropic organization established in the 19th century by Miss Octavia Hill to improve working class conditions, resumed this building operation for the Philadelphia Starr Centre in 1896. The completed building consisted of a bakery in the cellar, an office and kitchen on the ground floor, the relocated free Library on the second floor, and tenants on the third and fourth floors. The free Library, renamed Starr Library, was the same Saint Mary Street Library. The Octavia Hill Association also influenced the Saint Mary Street Library to begin a Stamp Saving system. Philadelphia was the fourth American city to do so. This Stamp Saving system was incorporated as a Starr Centre committee and encouraged the local neighborhood children and adults to save their money.

On October 31, 1900, members of the reorganized Starr Centre Association met to "provide for and to promote by practical methods, the educational and social improvement of those poor neighborhoods; primarily in the vicinity of the Starr Garden." This reorganization included a more structured system that combined the various clubs and branches which had previously existed under the Starr Centre. Miss Susan P. Wharton was the first chairperson and president of the Starr Centre Association which began with a total of $4,152.18 in membership donations and loans for the first month of operations. The Centre's expenses for rent, food, salaries and supplies were met, and shortly afterward a program of selling penny lunches, milk for babies, coal, and other necessities was spearheaded.

Nine committees were established in 1900: Executive, Finance, Starr Library, Coal Club, Stamp Saving, Starr Office, Starr Work Bureau, Starr Real-Estate, and Auditing. An annual one dollar donation was asked of persons who desired to be contributing members. Several people were in more than one committee at the same time, and though faces changed through the years, the purpose of each committee remained consistent. The Starr Library Committee was a continuation of previous efforts to maintain the Starr Library located on Saint Mary Street. These committee members were responsible for recording resource circulation, attendance, obtaining new resources, and helping local schools when necessary. The Starr Office Committee controlled the main office maintenance, supplies, workers, and committee records. The Starr Work Bureau hired neighborhood residents and distributed the work force among the Starr branches. The Starr Real-Estate Committee headed a search to secure larger, more efficient quarters for their work. The Starr Auditing Committee worked along with the Finance Committee to maintain financial records. The reorganized Starr Centre still retained the Kindergarten and the Kitchen.

Between 1900 and 1905, the Starr Centre succeeded in increasing the amount of coal, food, and milk that they sold to the community. But the costs of keeping the program alive increased to more than double of when they began. With great generosity, Miss Susan P. Wharton loaned the center $1500. Within this five-year period the Starr Centre secured the deeds to 727 and 725 Lombard Street. The 725 Lombard building became known as the Starr Centre Neighborhood House. Though the main office was in 725 Lombard Street, Miss Wharton frequently offered the use of her home at 910 Clinton Street for the Centre's meetings. By the end of 1905 it was clear that the Centre was indispensable to the local neighborhoods, and demands for services increased. The Centre's income was constantly being challenged to meet the ever increasing amount of capital necessary to maintain the Starr Centre.

A medical department was finally added to the Starr Centre because the Centre saw an increasing number of unhealthy visitors to the Neighborhood House. The facilities consisted of one washstand, an examining table, and a number of surgical instruments. Tuberculosis was one of the most commonly reported chronic illnesses. A doctor was first added to the Starr Centre work force in 1905. Miss Mary E. Clarke, furnished by the Philadelphia Visiting Nurse Society, joined the Centre as the first trained nurse to aid the doctor in 1906. Two dispensaries were established, one at 790 S. 7th Street and the other at 729 Lombard. By 1906, the Starr Centre services were grouped into the Health Clinic, the Free Circulating and Reference Library, Penny Lunches, and the Neighborhood House with modified vocational, recreational, and thrift programs.

The next decade saw both success and danger. There was a constant fluctuation of the Centre's debt and credit balances. This was also the period when the nursing staff was increased. In 1907 the number of nurses' calls totaled 339, an increase of 83 percent over the previous year. Milk sales increased by 70 percent. But Penny Lunches' profits decreased by 94 percent. Various safety modifications were made to the Neighborhood House and Library which also set back their budget. By 1908, milk sold for one penny, nurse care was a dime per visit, doctor's advice a dime, and doctor home calls fifty cents per visit. The Milk Station and Health Center revamped their system and focused more on the medical situation of their visitors because it was decided that mothers could be taught how to prepare milk formulas in their own homes.

By 1914 the Starr Centre's revenue base had strengthened, allowing continuation of services. This same year, more than 35,000 books were circulated in the Starr Library, nurses' visits increased by 87 percent, and prenatal care was established. Five years later the Starr Centre established a dental clinic. The Centre also became the first health agency in Philadelphia to adopt Schick testing and immunization against diphtheria.

In 1920, Mr. Henry Collins, as President, led the program into the new decade with enhanced services. A new clinic was established, the number of lunches rose, and there was increased knowledge within the general public concerning cause and prevention of diseases. The Division of Child Hygiene of the Philadelphia Department of Public Health closed its Hygiene Center, making the Starr Centre solely responsible for Philadelphia's child health problems. These programs dove-tailed with other community service establishments such as the National Conference of Social Work, Keystone State Library Association, and the Welfare Federation.

The Depression of the 1930's posed some financial difficulties for the Starr Centre. Staff turnover was high, contributions dwindled, and income from investments dropped. By the late 1930's, the penny lunches were abolished because public school lunch programs made this service unnecessary. There were also several member agencies of the United Charities Campaign serving the same neighborhoods as the Starr Centre, yet many other sectors did not have such services. A 1937-38 reevaluation showed that though the Starr Centre's past activities were worthwhile, the Health and Nursing Service was still far more valuable. This bolstered the decision to eventually relocate the Starr Centre.

The pivotal 1937-38 reevaluation showed that the Starr Centre's focus should be on the Health and Nursing Service. As a result, it was decided that the Visiting Nurse Society of Philadelphia, the City Department of Public Health, and the Philadelphia Mouth Hygiene Association should be invited to participate in the Starr Centre's new generalized public health nursing service program. As other health services became established in South Philadelphia, the Starr Centre's services were becoming redundant.

Operation of the Library was taken over by the City in 1943 as part of the larger Philadelphia Free Public Library. With the loss of the library and the decreased need for the Centre's health services in South Philadelphia, a decision was made that the Starr Centre would be relocated. The Germantown location was selected from a choice of Frankford, the 34th Ward in West Philadelphia, Manayunk, and Germantown. Germantown was selected because of the area's need for additional child health services, as well as burgeoning health problems related to Philadelphia's growing defense industry. The cooperation of existing agencies was assured, and vital statistics indicated that this particular section was in need of improved health. The property located on 58 East Haines Street, Germantown, which was a Fire House at the time, was secured in 1943.

The role of the nurse was much more vital to the Centre's overall goals in this decade than ever before. The nurse service would be responsible for the family as a whole. Therefore, more than one nurse was required to service an entire family. The increased health services included maternal health supervision, child health supervision, morbidity service, control of tuberculosis, control of venereal disease, crippled children, group education, and dental service.

Under Sydney E. Longmaid's chairmanship, such details as the nurses' hours and wages, service fees, and form of payment were decided. New committees were added to the old, including Executive and Finance, House, Health, Medical Advisory, Membership, and Nomination. The Steering Committee consisted of both Starr Centre members and various local educational and health institutions.

In 1945, after the first full year of the revised program, the agency's income and funds totaled nearly $63,000 as a result of the increased number of visitors and the liquidation of their South Philadelphia property. Expenditures in this same year totaled over $21,000 due to normal expenses and the rehabilitation of the Starr Centre's new headquarters. The Centre also received income from the Philadelphia Community Chest. But World War II made it difficult for the Centre to maintain the full nursing staff required to handle its medical case load. The year 1945 saw over 11,000 home visits, 139 diagnosed tuberculosis cases, and a small but growing number of venereal disease cases.

The focus on children's health was intensified through the development of the Child Health Conference, which began in April of 1944, but did not flourish until after 1945. At the conclusion of 1945, the number of children per session grew from 2 per week to 19 per week. The total number of children attending the first year of these conferences was 1,873. When it was discovered that 82 percent of respiratory infections occurred in children ranging from pre-kindergarten to second grade children, a part-time nurse was assigned to help this age group of children in the local schools.

As the forties drew to a close, the agency's health programs continued to be effective. Pre- and post-natal instruction, infant and child health supervision through the Child Health Conferences, dental care (performed and supervised by the Philadelphia Mouth Hygiene Association), and the control of tuberculosis and venereal disease added to the success of Starr Centre's revised health program.

The first meeting of the Committee for the Planning for Starr Centre Association was held on May 7, 1951. Mr. Longmaid presided the meeting in which various committees were formed to guide the relocation of services. The committees were Executive, House, Membership, Personnel, Volunteer Aid, Publicity, Medical Advisory, Community Relations, Chronically Ill, and the Nominating Committee. With the amalgamation of the Visiting Nurse Society, the Centre had to re-evaluate their fees. Nursing fees were the following for 1950-51: $2.50 regular fee; $3.50 hourly appointment; $4.00 for evening visits. The fees were on a sliding scale, according to one's ability to pay. The development of the Well Baby Clinic at the Germantown Hospital decreased visits to the Starr Child Health Conference.

In response to press coverage of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and the general atomic hysteria of the 1950s, Starr Centre joined the rest of the country in taking precautions against potential nuclear strikes. The threat of nuclear war motivated the creation of two defense committees, state and city, to plan First Aid classes for the community. The city commenced the "Philadelphia Plan for Defense" program which divided the city in four sections. Four hundred First Aid Stations were distributed throughout the city to treat possible casualties and provide care for the injured. The Centre offered such facilities as first aid and blood typing stations.

In 1957, the Centre began working with other health programs for the purpose of expanding generalized nursing service in other areas of Philadelphia. When the Philadelphia Mouth Hygiene Association discontinued operation of the Dental Clinic, the Community Nursing Services, Inc. was created from the three parent organizations: the Visiting Nurse Society, Philadelphia Department of Public Health, and the Starr Centre. Two years later, the Board of the Community Nursing Services, Inc. held their first meeting and resolved to sell the 58 East Haines Street property at its market value of $22,500. It was also decided that Starr Centre would move from 58 East Haines Street in order to expand it work processes and health services. The Visiting Nurse Society merged with the Starr Centre's Board of Directors. Half of the Starr Board resigned and the Visiting Nurses Society filled these vacancies, fully integrating the two agencies.

Throughout the 1970's much of the Centre's focus was on maintaining financial solvency.

Scope and Contents

The Starr Centre began in 1900 as a traditional settlement house in the heart of Philadelphia's South Central district, a predominantly African-American neighborhood. From its early years, the Starr Centre initiated many programs to aid black residents of the neighborhood, and later eastern European immigrants, at its health clinic in South Philadelphia. Its programs included a cooperative coal club, a lending library, a penny lunch club, and a stamp savings bureau. In 1905, the Starr Centre began its Medical Department, employing one nurse and sometimes contracting for visiting nurse services through the Visiting Nurse Society of Philadelphia. The Starr Centre merged with the Visiting Nurse Society of Philadelphia in the 1950s and relocated to the Germantown section of Philadelphia due to the increasing number of health care facilities in South Philadelphia. The strength of this collection is the detailed information within the Starr Centre's annual reports and meeting minutes, concerning the kinds of service the Starr Centre provided. The collection sheds light on issues of health care in ethnic communities.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Bethany Myers

Sponsor

This collection was processed with funds provided by the National Historic Publications and Records Commission as part of the Nursing History Processing and Cataloging Project.

Access Restrictions

Series 9 is restricted.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift of G. Lloyd Kirk, 1987.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Starr Centre Association of Philadelphia.
Form/Genre(s)
  • Administrative records
  • Financial records
  • Photographs
Occupation(s)
  • Public health nursing
Personal Name(s)
  • Starr, Theodore, 1841-1884
Subject(s)
  • Community health nursing
  • Immunization.
  • Influenza Epidemic, 1918-1919.
  • Visiting nurses

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Series 1.  Administration, 1900-1973.

Scope and Contents note

This series includes materials documenting the Association's founding and early architecture. It contains a nearly complete set of annual meeting minutes (1900-1973) and board meeting minutes (1900-1961) which provide a detailed overview of activities. Included in this series are the Association's original constitution and by-laws (1900) and subsequent revisions (1912-1960); President's reports (1945-1958); Executive Director's Reports (1946-1958); individual Presidents' files; and correspondence and pertinent information concerning board members.

Box Folder

Constitution, by-laws, and minutes of Annual and Board of Directors, 1900-1906.

1 1

Charter and by-laws, 1912 (two copies; revisions 1937-1939).

1 2

Amendment to by-laws, 1943-1960 (correspondence regarding by-law amendments, by-laws, 1943).

1 3

Correspondence, by-laws, 1943 (By-law amendments, 1943-1960).

1 4

Minutes, annual meetings and Board of Directors, 1906-1908 (Ledger).

1 5

Minutes, annual.

Box Folder

1908-1914.

1 6

1915-1921.

1 7

1922-1928 (extra copy of first page of 1922 minutes, no page for 1925).

1 8

1929-1939 (missing 1938?).

1 9

1940-1946.

1 10

1947-1949.

1 11

1950-1964 and 1968-1973.

1 12

1908-1909.

1 13

1910-1911.

1 14

1912-1913.

1 15

1914-1915.

1 16

Minutes, Board of Directors.

Box Folder

1916-1917.

2 17

1918-1919.

2 18

1920-1921.

2 19

1922-1924.

2 20

1925-1926.

2 21

1927-1928.

2 22

1929-1930.

2 23

1931-1932.

2 24

1933-1934.

2 25

1935-1936.

2 26

1937-1938.

2 27

1939-1940.

2 28

1941-1942.

2 29

1943-1944.

2 30

1945-1946.

3 31

1947-1948.

3 32

1949-1950.

3 33

1951-1952.

3 34

1953-1954.

3 35

1955-1956.

3 36

1957-1959.

3 37

1960-1961.

3 38

Minutes, Board of Directors, Starr Centre Association and Visiting Nursing Society, 1960.

3 39

Annual Reports.

Box Folder

1900-1901.

4 40

1903-1908.

4 41

1910-1920.

4 42

1943-1944.

4 43

1944-1945.

4 44

President's reports.

Box Folder

1945-1947.

4 45

1948-1951.

4 46

1952-1955.

4 47

1956-1958.

4 48

Executive Director's reports.

Box
4
Box Folder

1946-1950.

4 49

1951-1955.

4 50

1956-1958.

4 51

Individual Presidents' files.

Box
4
Box Folder

Sidney E. Longmaid, 1935-1937.

4 52

Sidney E. Longmaid, 1938-1939.

4 53

Sidney E. Longmaid, 1940-1942.

4 54

Sidney E. Longmaid, 1943.

4 55

Sidney E. Longmaid, 1944-1945.

4 56

Sidney E. Longmaid, 1946-1949.

4 57

Sidney E. Longmaid, 1950-1958.

4 58

William Hord, 1958-1959.

4 59

Other individual files-correspondence.

Box
4
Box Folder

Charles R. Kimbell, Board member, 1938-1943.

4 60

Marion Shand, Executive Director, 1943.

4 61

Mrs. Wheeler H. Page, Corresponding Secretary of Board of Directors, 1960.

4 62

Correspondence-appointments, resignations and business activities of Board Members, 1933-1957.

5 63

List of Board and Committee members, 1896-1957.

5 64

Memorandum, administrative changes, May 10, 1939.

5 65

Name, address and dates served as Board member, 1901-1954 (index cards).

5 66

Obituaries-Board members, 1944-1946.

5 67

Starr Library business transacted, 1933.

5 68

Starr Library work, 1921, 1929, 1931, and 1932.

5 69

Return to Top »

Series 2.  Histories, 1901-1943.

Scope and Contents note

This small series consist of a handwritten biographical profile of Theodore Starr (b.1841-d.1884) as well as published and unpublished histories of the social and health programs by and about the association. These files range in date from 1897 to 1943.

Box Folder

Biographical information, Theodore Starr, 1901.

5 70

Historical sketches, 1912-1937.

5 71

History of a street - St. Mary Street, 1901.

5 72

Introduction to Starr Centre Association, 1943.

5 73

Story of Starr Center Association, 1911.

5 74

Return to Top »

Series 3.  Committees, 1909-1959.

Scope and Contents note

This series contains committee minutes, the majority of which are from the period 1937-1959. These committees include advisory, building, executive, finance, membership and nominating, and reorganization. Also included are reports for determining and planning future health care programs.

Box Folder

Advisory Committee minutes, November 2 1944.

5 75

Advisory Committee minutes for Planning Future Program, May 11, 1943.

5 76

Advisory Committee minutes regarding health activity, June 18, 1937.

5 77

Building Committee minutes, November, 1937.

5 78

Determination of Neighborhood House Services Committee minutes, 1941.

5 79

Executive Committee minutes, 1909-1913.

5 80

Executive and Finance Committee minutes, 1911-1959.

5 81

Expansion of Generalized Nursing Service in Germantown Committee minutes, 1951.

5 82

Expansion of Generalized Nursing Service in Germantown Committee correspondence, 1951-1952.

5 83

Finance Committee minutes, 1909-1939.

5 84

Library and Kindergarten Committee minutes, 1910-1913.

5 85

Membership and Nominating Committee minutes, 1959.

5 86

Milk and Medical Committee minutes, 1909-1913.

5 87

Organization Meeting minutes, November 17, 1937.

5 88

Steering Committee for Planning Program for Starr Centre, 1942.

5 89

Sub-Committee minutes.

Box Folder

Building Committee minutes, 1951.

5 90

Location for Centre Committee minutes, 1943.

5 91

Plan for Expansion of Generalized Nursing Service in Germantown Committee minutes, 1951.

5 92

Committee Reports.

Box Folder

Clinic Survey Committee report, 1938-1939.

5 93

Special Committee on Health Activities, preliminary report, 1941.

5 94

Special Meeting, Future Plan for Services report, 1951.

5 95

Sub-committee Nursing Policies and Practices for Proposed Generalized Nursing Service-Germantown, 1943.

5 96

Sub-committee, Study Adequacy of City of Philadelphia Health Centers, 1951.

5 97

Committee Correspondence.

Box Folder

Determination of Health Services Committee correspondence, 1941.

5 98

Return to Top »

Series 4.  Public Relations, 1900-1944.

Scope and Contents note

Found within this series are a variety of material used for public relations purposes such as pamphlets, calendars, and newspaper clippings highlighting services mainly provided for the years 1900-1919. It includes newspaper clipping (1944) of the health association.

Box Folder

Calendar, Cooperative Coal Club, 1909.

6 99

Coal Club Branch, pamphlet, 1911.

6 100

Health Agency Information, newspaper clippings, 1944.

6 101

Health Teaching, newspaper clippings, 1910-1923.

6 102

Milk and Medical Department, pamphlet, 1911.

6 103

Negro Branch of Starr Centre, pamphlet, 1909.

6 104

Neighborhood House, Starr Centre Association, services available pamphlets, 1901-1913.

6 105

Nursing Health Service, brochure, 1940's.

6 106

Pictures, reprints, Starr Centre's services and headquarters, 1900's.

6 107

Pre-natal, Child Health Services, pamphlet, 1904-1919.

6 108

Services available, pamphlet, 1901-1913.

6 109

Starr Centre Library, pamphlet, 1904.

6 110

Starr Centre Neighborhood House, pamphlets, 1900's.

6 111

Starr Centre Stamp Saving Branch, pamphlets, 1900.

6 112

Summer work, pamphlet, 1911-1919.

6 113

Return to Top »

Series 5.  Amalgamation of Agency Services, 1942-1959.

Scope and Contents note

This series documents the initiation of generalized public health nursing programs linking the Starr Center Association, Visiting Nurse Society of Philadelphia, and the City of Philadelphia with headquarters in the Germantown section of Philadelphia. It includes agreements and correspondence concerning the amalgamation.

Box Folder

Agreement between Visiting Nurse Society and Starr Centre Association, March 3, 1959.

6 114

Agreement and ordinance between Starr Centre and City of Philadelphia, no date.

6 115

Correspondence.

Box Folder

Amalgamation, Visiting Nurse Society and Starr Centre Association, 1951.

6 116

Combining Services, "Community Nursing Services", 1958-1959.

6 117

Headquarters, 56-58 E. Haines Street, building plans, legal description and photographs, 1951.

6 118

Health Centre, newspaper clippings, 1951-1952.

6 119

Progress of Starr Centre Services, 1944.

6 120

Properties, Lombard and Catherine Streets, 1943.

6 121

Proposed Plan for Starr Centre Services, 1943.

6 122

Plans for Starr Centre Services, 1943.

6 123

Purchase of Starr Centre Site by Board of Education, newspaper clipping, 1960's.

6 124

Statement of intent, relocation of Starr Centre, 1942.

6 125

Statement for selection of location for Starr Centre, 1942-1944.

6 126

Statement for combining Agencies, Secretary, Health Division, Council of Social Agencies, 1942.

6 127

Statement for consideration of the Visiting Nurse Society Board on amalgamation with Starr Centre Association, 1942.

6 128

Return to Top »

Series 6.  Nursing Services, 1900-1955.

Scope and Contents note

This series includes reports, booklets, surveys, and various memos concerning the service programs sponsored by the Association or by other agencies. It includes two surveys, one by Philadelphia Health Survey (1949) and the other by Philadelphia Hospital and Health Survey, Public Health Nursing (1928). There is a file for the proposal of a Community Nursing Service, Inc. (1955).

Box Folder

Case Histories, 1900's.

7 129

Dispensary, memorandums, minutes and correspondence, 1932-1942.

7 130

La Madre Ed Il Bambino, City of Philadelphia-Child Health.

7 131

Little Mothers Leagues, Organization and Equipment, Child Federation, Philadelphia booklet, 1919.

7 132

Manual, Nursing, Visiting Nurse Association, Phila., 1931.

7 133

Philadelphia Public Health Survey, Starr Centre survey, pages 176-179, 1949.

7 134

Proposal, Community Nursing Services, Inc., Health and Welfare Council, Inc., Health Division, 1955.

7 135

Statistical Service reports, 1952-1954.

7 136

Survey, Public Health Nursing, Philadelphia Hospital and Health Survey, 1928.

7 137

Return to Top »

Series 7.  Financial Information, 1909-1962.

Scope and Contents note

Found in this series are reports of the Association's audits (1958-1962); ledgers of cash disbursements, cash receipts, budgets requirements, and invoices from 1909-1959. Also, there are correspondence files pertaining to bond and insurance; the Community Chest of Philadelphia and Vicinity; tax information; transfer of securities; trust estate; and income and expenses.

Box Folder

Agreement and Correspondence, United Fund of Philadelphia, 1959.

7 138

Application for Exemption Certification for use by charitable organizations, 1956.

7 139

Auditor's reports, 1958-1962.

7 140

Bond, Indemnity Insurance Company of North America, 1940-1954.

7 141

Bond, Special Ordinance Bond to City of Philadelphia, 1944.

7 142

Change of Registration Office, Visiting Nurse Society, Philadelphia and Starr Centre Association, 1960-1963.

7 143

Correspondence.

Box
7
Box Folder

Bond and Insurance, 1958-1959.

7 144

Budget, Community Fund of Philadelphia and Vicinity, 1940.

7 145

Certification of Offices, banking processing, 1960 and 1963.

7 146

Community Chest of Philadelphia and vicinity, 1957-1959.

7 147

Financial Grant, Germantown Relief Society, 1959-1960.

7 148

Funding, availability of payment for social and health care, re: Samuel H. Ashbridge Fund, 1944-1959.

7 149

Legal: Noerr Motor Freight, Inc. vs. Eastern Railroad Presidents Conference, et al., 1958-1960.

7 150

Refunding and Services, 1933-1938.

7 151

Transfer of Securities, 1959-1962.

7 152

Income and expense, 1931-1934.

7 153

Refunds to the Visiting Nurse Society, 1951-1958.

7 154

Tax Information, 1958-1977.

7 155

Trust estate-Joseph Lapsley Wilson, 1937-1938, 1962-1970, 1976-1979.

7 156
Flatbox

Ledgers, Cash Disbursements, June to December, 1934.

16

Ledgers, Cash Disbursements, May, 1943.

16

Ledgers, Cash Receipts, 1939-1943.

16

Ledgers, Budget Requirements, 1939-1942.

17

Ledger, Cash Disbursements, 1938-1943.

17

Ledger, Cash Disbursements, 1956-1959.

17

Ledger, Invoices, 1909-1910.

17

Return to Top »

Series 8.  Health and Social Agencies, 1894-1942.

Scope and Contents note

This series includes annual reports of other community social and health agencies, such as College Settlement, Kitchen and Coffee 1896 and 1898; St. Mary Street, College Settlement of Philadelphia, 1894-1895; Child Federation Philadelphia, 1914-1916; and Babies Welfare Association, 1916-1917.

Box Folder

Babies Welfare Association, annual report, 1916-1917.

8 157

Charitable Institutions, Germantown area, 1942.

8 158

Child Federation Philadelphia, Pa., annual report, 1914-1916.

8 159

College Settlement, Kitchen and Coffee, annual report, 1896 and 1898.

8 160

St. Mary Street, College Settlement of Philadelphia, annual report, 1894-1895.

8 161

Return to Top »

Series 9.  Employees, 1915-1959.

Scope and Contents note

Found within this series are files of the Starr Centre Association employees and of nursing personnel assigned to Starr Center Association from the Visiting Nurse Society of Philadelphia and the City of Philadelphia Public Health Department Administration.

Conditions Governing Access note

This series is restricted. Consult the Center for use guidelines.

Box

Personnel Files, 1928-1967 (Bulk, 1940-1960) .

9

Absalom, Emily, 1945-1946.

9 162

Bennett, Celestine, 1955-1958.

9 163

Blackman, Eleanore Whittaker, 1940-1943.

9 164

Bovio, Catherine M. Hahn, 1944-1945.

9 165

Byrne, Lillian E., 1928-1944.

9 166

Cavedon, Mary K., 1957-1958.

9 167

Chan, Pheng Looi, 1952-1953.

9 168

Chetowska, Elsie Barbara, 1945-1947.

9 169

Coley, Dorothy May, 1955-1959.

9 170

Corey, Helen Hyatt, 1936-1942.

9 171

Crocker, Fran, 1949-1962.

9 172

Davis, Alonzo, 1939-1946 (custodian).

9 173

Davis, Mary Louise, 1943-1944.

9 174

Dickerman, Eva K., 1936-1941.

9 175

Eakle, Mary H., 1946-1949.

9 176

Ego, Mary Adele, 1955-1956.

9 177

Fidler, Sylvia E., 1941-1943.

9 178

Garrett, Mae, 1944-1945.

9 179

Glinka, Martha Rose, 1947-1948.

9 180

Goldberg, Evelyn L., 1944-1945.

9 181

Goluboff, Ruth, 1941-1942.

9 182

Greiner, Dorothy Nauman, 1936-1937.

9 183

Groff, Edith H., 1944-1945.

9 184

Gross, Marta, 1957-1958.

9 185

Hart, Velma M., 1944-1946.

9 186

Hesson, Mary E., 1945-1946.

9 187

Hill, Mary Alice, 1951-1952.

9 188

Hirsch, Gertrude, 1946-1947.

9 189

Horvath, Irene, 1946-1949.

9 190

Hudson, Catherine Cleo, 1951-1952.

9 191

Iungerich, Zoe, 1952-1955.

9 192

Jaschik, Eva, 1950-1951.

9 193

Johnston, Pauline Gladys, 1948-1951.

9 194

Laubach, Frieda, 1946-1947.

9 195

Leuchak, Elizabeth, Aug. 1956-Dec. 1956.

9 196

Lex, Evelyn, 1938-1940.

9 197

Maguire, Mary Murphy (Kathleen), 1955-1957.

9 198

Matthy, Helen Foertsch, 1944-1946.

9 199

McCaffrey, C. Eleanor, 1915-1944.

9 200

McGrath, Mary A., 1947-1948.

9 201

McNervey, Carolyn, 1938.

9 202

MacOwen, Amy A., 1939-1942.

9 203

Meyer, Marian Gibson, 1954-1955.

9 204

Miller, Mildred A., 1931-1943 (librarian).

9 205

Moore, Janice E., 1945-1947.

9 206

Nieto, Jean Rodger, 1953-1954.

9 207

Obermiller, Mary L., 1950-1953.

9 208

O'Donnell, Sara F., 1944-1949.

9 209

O'Donnell, Elizabeth, 1948-1950.

9 210

Pickens, M. Elizabeth, 1949-1950.

9 211

Pubillores, Eleanor G., 1948-1950.

9 212

Rainey, Margaret, March, 1952-Sep. 1952.

9 213

Ranson, Elsa Jean, 1946-1947.

9 214

Rhea, Katherine, March, 1945-July, 1945.

9 215

Richardson, Mildred, March, 1943-July, 1943 (librarian).

9 216

Roper, Louise, 1948-1950.

9 217

Rucker, Justine, 1951-1957.

9 218

Rule, Joan Marie, 1953-1955.

9 219

Ryan, Lilian A., 1947-1948.

9 220

Sheppard, Anita Faller, 1950-1951.

9 221

Smith, Margaret Hannah, 1950-1953.

9 222

Smith, Mary Emma, 1953-1955.

9 223

Snarr, Blanche, 1946-1949.

9 224

Sulock, Anna, 1946-1948.

9 225

Swet, Emily Wharton Henley, 1947-1949.

9 226

Thomas, Sally S., 1944-1945.

9 227

Thomton, Mary Ella, 1950-1951.

9 228

Treloar, Cordelia W., 1948-1950.

9 229

Uhrich, Jennie, 1944-1946.

9 230

Usilton, Anne Montgomery, 1936.

9 231

Veith, Marily Jane, 1950-1952.

9 232

Wallis, Alice, 1957-?.

9 233

Walsh, Elizabeth, 1947-1948.

9 234

Weber, Emma Gertrude, 1949-1950.

9 235

Weiner, Sara, July, 8-16, 1943 (library assistant).

9 236

Wilson, Anna B., 1939-1947.

9 237

Woodlock, Nila, 1944-1946.

9 238

Yanov, Nadya, 1944-1946.

9 239

Zachwieja, Anna, 1945-1947.

9 240

Return to Top »

Series 10.  Photographs, 1897-1937.

Scope and Contents note

The photographs making up this series are mainly from 1897-1937. The Association used photographic images to communicate their services to the community. The association reproduced some of the photographs found in this series in annual reports and pamphlets. The photographs include nurses working in the home; Association headquarters; other facilities such as the library, clinics, kindergarten, playground, and savings bank; and neighborhood housing.

Neighborhood - Exterior.

Box Folder

Where Old Europe Meets New America, 1909.

10 1

Alley Near the Casa Ravello, c.1910.

10 2

Alley Near the Casa Ravello, (Glass Negative).

10 2.1

Families in Alley, c.1909.

10 3

Alley without People, c.1910.

10 4

Street with Clothes Drying in the Air, c.1910.

10 5

Crooked Alley with Hanging Clothes.

10 6

Little Boys and Girl in Costume, c.1910.

10 7

Little Girls and Boy on Center Steps, c.1910.

10 8

Girls Outside Center, c.1910.

10 9

Theodore Starr Savings Bank, c.1910.

10 10

Casa Ravello Starr Center, 7th and Catherine Streets, c.1910.

10 11

Sign for Casa Ravello Starr Centre, c.1910.

10 12

Filippo Giovanni Door, Closed.

10 13

Filippo Giovanni Door, Open.

10 14

Interior.

Box Folder

Nurse with Family of Eight (Glass Negative), "The Work of a Nurse" on Reverse Side.

10 15

Family in One Room Apartment, c.1915.

10 16

Family in One Room Apartment.

10 16.1

Growing Pains.

10 17

The Preparation of Formula, c.1915.

10 18

The Preparation of Formula, c.1915.

10 19

Nurse Weighs Baby, c.1915.

10 20

Nurse Weighs Baby While Two Mothers Wait with their Children, c.1920.

10 21

Mother Bathes Baby While Nurse Watches, c.1930.

10 22

Mother Dresses Baby While Nurse Watches, c.1930.

10 23

Dentist Examines Girl, c.1930.

10 24

Two Dentists Examine Girl, c.1930.

10 25

Mother With Babe on Lap Chats with Doctor, c.1930.

10 26

Nurse Gives a Shot to Boy Toddler, c.1930.

10 27

Keeping Tabs on Mary Ann, April 1937.

10 28

Nurse and Doctor Examine Sick Baby, c.1935.

11 29

Nurse and Doctor Examine Sick Baby.

11 29.1

Nurse and Doctor Examine Sick Baby (Glass Negative).

11 29.2

Nurse and Child with Books at Door, c.1935.

11 30

Nurse Gathers Medical Information from Woman, October 1919.

11 31

Children.

Box Folder

One-Year Old Girl Seated, 1910.

11 32

One of Our Neighbors Who Needs Consideration.

11 33

Kindergarten Children Outside Starr Centre (Glass Negative), 1915.

11 34

Large Group of Children in Front of Hanging Rings (Glass Negative).

11 35

Smaller Groups of Children in Front of Hanging Rings (Glass Negative).

11 36

Group of Children Around Swings (Glass Negative).

11 37

Group of Children at See-Saw.

11 38

Group of Children in and Around Sandbox.

11 39

Children in Horse-Drawn Buggy, c.192?.

11 40

Group of Girls, Posed, c.1925.

11 41

Mothers and Children.

Box Folder

Two Mothers with Baptismal Babies, April 1914.

11 42

Neighborhood Types, c.1915.

11 43

Mothers with Children in Front of Baby Saving Station, c.1915.

11 44

Six Mothers, Each with Twins, c.1915.

11 45

A Customer, an Italian Woman with her Baby.

11 46

A Customer, an Italian Woman with her Baby.

11 46.1

Woman Holding Two Babies.

11 47

SCA Seated Group Shot.

11 48

Interior.

Box Folder

Seven Mothers, One Father, 10 Children Waiting, c.1910.

11 49

Four Mothers and Babies Waiting, c.1910.

11 50

Six Mothers and Nine Children Waiting, c.1910.

11 51

Six Mothers and Nine Children Waiting, c.1910.

11 51.1

Mother, Son and Grandson, c.1940.

11 52

Mother, Son and Grandson, c.1940.

11 52.1

Library.

Box Folder

Group of Girls Sewing, April 1914.

11 53

Group of Girls Knitting, c.1915.

11 54

Eight to Ten Year-old Boys and Girls Reading, April 1914.

12 55

Children Sit in a Circle, April 1917.

12 56

Library Check-Out, Summer 1918.

12 57

A Busy Time at the Library Desk Following the Close of School, c.1920.

12 58

A Busy Time at the Library Desk Following the Close of School.

12 58.1

Asking for the New Books, c.1918.

12 59

Groups of Students Read and Play Checkers, c.1918.

12 60

Two Boys, Four Girls, Study at Table (Teens), c.1918.

12 61

Music Lesson Time-Two Youthful Students,.

12 62

Music Lesson Time-Two Youthful Students,.

12 62.1

A Corner in the Library.

12 63

Penny Lunch With Children.

12 64

Woman with Three Young Helpers Standing Behind Tables, c. 1915.

12 65

Penny Lunches at the McCall Annex Public School,, c. 1915.

12 66

Children with Soup and Crackers, Long Tables, c.1915.

12 67

Children with Soup and Crackers, at Desks, c.1915.

12 68

Children with Soup and Crackers, in a Square, c.1915.

12 69

Penny Lunch Children, Forten School, 1897.

12 70

Forty-three Years of Penny Lunches, c.1940.

12 71

Milk Store.

Box Folder

Modified Milk Store, c.1915.

12 72

Modified Milk Store.

12 72.1

Modified Milk Store.

12 72.2

Mothers at Milk Counter, c.1910.

12 73

People at Milk Counter, c.1915.

12 74

Girl with Milk Bottle, c.1915.

12 75

Return to Top »

Series 11.  Artifacts and Scrapbooks, 1902-1922.

Scope and Contents note

This small series includes a mimeograph and ledger keys. It also contains several scrapbooks (1902-1922) of the Association's promotional material of its services to the community such as appeals, reports, statistical data and newspaper clippings.

Artifacts.

Box
13

Mimeographs and ledger keys, (no date).

Box
13

Scrapbooks, 1902-1922.

Box
14

Cooperative Coal Club Rainy Day Fund calendar, 1909.

14

Appeals, Reports and Statistics.

Box
14
Box

1., 1902-1905.

14

2., 1906-1910.

14

3., 1916-1920.

14

4., 1911-1916.

15

5., 1920-1922.

15

Return to Top »