University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Methodist Episcopal Hospital (Philadelphia) School of Nursing records

MC 190

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
Creator:
Methodist Episcopal Hospital Training School for Nurses.
Title:
Methodist Episcopal Hospital (Philadelphia) School of Nursing records
Date [bulk]:
1905-1944
Date [inclusive]:
circa 1900-1991
Call Number:
MC 190
Extent:
18 Linear feet
Language:
English
Text: [Box]
1
Abstract:
The Methodist Episcopal Hospital was located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It opened in 1892 and soon afterwards established a nursing school. This collection contains student nurse records from the early 20th century and financial records from the World War II period.
Cite as:
Methodist Episcopal Hospital (Philadelphia) School of Nursing records, Barbara Bates Center for The Study of The History of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

The Methodist Episcopal Hospital School of Nursing, Philadelphia, was started by nurse Linda Richards at the time the Methodist Episcopal Hospital, Philadelphia, opened for patients in 1892. Originally the hospital was located on a full city square in South Philadelphia at Broad, Wolf, Ritner, and 13th Streets. The Hospital became affiliated with Jefferson Medical College in the 1950s, and in 1961 its name was changed to Methodist Hospital. In 1996, the Methodist Hospital became part of the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Its present address is 2301 S. Broad Street.

Scope and Contents

According to the donor, these volumes are among the few remaining records of the Methodist Episcopal Hospital and its nursing school. Most of the records were severely damaged in a flood at the Methodist Hospital sometime after it became part of the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, circa 2000-2001. Other surviving records were donated to Drew University and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.

This collection consists of three volumes: Two volumes of student records, 1900-1915, and one volume of "Financial Contributions to U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund," 1943-1948.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Bethany Myers

Access Restrictions

This collection is unrestricted.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift of Jean Kunkle Magilton, 2012.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Methodist Episcopal Hospital Training School for Nurses.
Form/Genre(s)
  • Financial records
  • School records
Geographic Name(s)
  • Philadelphia (Pa.)
Personal Name(s)
  • Magilton, Jean Kunkle
Subject(s)
  • Nursing schools.
  • Nursing students

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Series 1.  Student records, 1900-1915.

Volume I, October 4, 1900-March 22, 1912.
Scope and Contents note

Student records. Includes names of applicant, date entered, acceptance status, date accepted, date finished, records of work on wards or service, number of days in each service, and remarks.

Volume 2, March 1904-October 1915.
Scope and Contents note

Grade book. Volume includes the following information: name of student, monthly average marks in each subject, name of examiner, scores on lectures and classes, and ward experience for years 1-3 of the program.

Beginning in 1909, record also includes additional personal information on each student including age (in years), height, weight, level of education completed at time of admission, comments on the student’s performance, and notes on any illnesses during the student’s period of enrollment at the school.

Correspondence regarding students, circa 1947-1991.
Scope and Contents note

This file contains several letters relating to former students Methodist Episcopal Hospital School of Nursing. Also included is a maternity ward card for the Hospital.

Return to Top »

Series 2.  U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund financial records. 1 folder of loose pages.

Record of Financial Contributions to the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund, 1943-1948.
Scope and Contents note

Ledger showing amounts contributed to support the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps Fund. Contributions are broken down to show the type of expense covered including Maintenance, Stipend, Tuition, Textbooks, Indoor Uniforms; Outdoor Uniforms; and Miscellaneous (Fees, etc.). Figures show amounts “allowed by USPHS” [U.S. Public Health Service].

It is not clear from entries who is doing the collecting. Record for Dec. 1945-May 1946, for example, lists names of contributors: these include names of physicians, the Methodist Hospital, the payroll department, and possibly outside companies such as General Biological Supply.

Sums are substantial. For instance, figures for May-July 1946, for “USPHS Quoted on 35 Cadets,” show that the account was debited $35,169.

Return to Top »