University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Mercy-Douglass Hospital records

MC 78

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
Creator:
Mercy-Douglass Hospital.
Title:
Mercy-Douglass Hospital records
Date [inclusive]:
1896-1977
Call Number:
MC 78
Extent:
26 Linear feet
Language:
English
Abstract:
The Mercy-Douglass Hospital was an African-American hospital and the first black nurse training school in in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It existed from 1895-1960. This collection contains the institutional records of Mercy-Douglass, along with over 200 photographs of the hospital and nursing school.
Cite as:
Mercy-Douglass Hospital records, Barbara Bates Center for The Study of The History of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

In the late 19th century, healthcare revolutionaries, Dr. Nathan F. Mossell and Dr. Eugene T. Hinson, worked to overcome the ill treatment of African Americans by establishing a healthcare system that served to adequately train African American health professionals, and fairly provide treatment to patients. Dr. Mossell founded the Douglass hospital in 1895 to create opportunities for African-American “physicians and young women desirous of nurse training.” A decade after the establishment of Douglass Hospital, talks began amongst Dr. Hinson and other community members regarding the development of an additional institution “where the young physicians might have the greater opportunity for development.” In 1907, Dr. Hinson, together with a supporting community, inaugurated Mercy Hospital, and eventually appropriated state aid for its operations. However, not long after beginning operations, in 1931, both Mercy and Douglass Hospitals faced deep throes of a financial crisis. In 1938, first talks of a merger between Mercy and Douglass Hospitals were initiated. A decline hospital administrators’ morale stimulated thought on whether merging Mercy and Douglass Hospitals’ clinical and administrative efforts would result in better health care related services for the African-American community. Following the establishment of Mercy Hospital’s Reorganization Committee in 1940, committee members presented strong points in support of the merger between Douglass and Mercy hospitals. The hospitals were merged in March 1948, with Dr. Wilbur B. Strickland, a former army hospital administrator, serving as the first Medical Director of Mercy-Douglass Hospital. Consequently, the merger resolved the problems experienced by both hospitals in 1948.

Dr. Nathan F. Mossell, the first African American to graduate in medicine from the University of Pennsylvania, met with African American doctors and a small group of Philadelphia citizens on June 25, 1895, and conceived the idea “of a hospital where [African American] physicians might have an equal opportunity to practice, where [African American] patients could be cared for, and where [African American] nurses might be taught the art of healing the sick.” The Frederick Douglass Hospital and School for Nurses opened its doors for service on October 31st, 1895, in “a private three story dwelling” at 1512 Lombard Street. Dr. Eugene T. Hinson, a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Medical School’s class of 1898, joined the Douglass Hospital staff in 1898, with the aligned objective to create opportunities for “[African American] physicians and young women desirous of nurse training.” Before attending medical school in 1894, Dr. Hinson spent two years teaching, first at Gravity Hill in Maryland, and then the Institute for Colored Youth in Philadelphia. After graduating from medical school in 1989, Dr. Hinson was refused entry into the University, Philadelphia General and the Presbyterian Hospitals internship programs, “even though [he] was an honor student, a taxpayer and a Presbyterian.” Nonetheless, Dr. Hinson’s professional shortcomings stimulated spirit behind the Episcopal Divinity School’s proposal for Douglass staff to acquire their site at 50th Street and Woodland Avenue as one of the properties during the hospital’s expansion. Douglass hospital continued to grow, and in 1908, acquired two more properties at 1522-34 Lombard Street. Dr. Hinson became a member of the Douglass board in 1900, and held his tenure as a board member for five consecutive years. A decade after its opening, Douglass hospital set up new departments, and increased its patient number, year by year. In 1909, the Board of Managers at the Douglass Hospital decided that its financial condition was good, and constructed a $100,000 building at 1532 Lombard Street. Despite Douglass Hospital’s financial progress, in around 1920, the hospital’s failure to meet basic requirements resulted in Douglass Hospital’s de-recognition by the Philadelphia Federation of Charities. Furthermore, in 1927, Douglass Hospital lost its endorsement for nurse training. However, in the latter part of the year, Douglass Hospital still erected a new nursing, despite not meeting regulatory standards. Two years later, in 1929, Douglass Hospital had also been dropped from the state’s accredited list recognizing training schools for nurses, and was only “conditionally approved by the American College of Surgeons with respect to meeting the minimum requirements of a Class-A hospital.” In the 1930s, Douglass Hospital faced deep financial challenges that constrained their ability to provide affordable healthcare services. The hospital had to decide, after several years of operation in financial deficit, to “curtail the treatment of free patients.” The first few years of the 1940s showed more promise for Douglass Hospital’s future. Following Dr. Douglass Stubbs appointment as Medical Director of Douglass Hospital in 1942, Douglass Hospital was re-endorsed by the American College of Surgeons, and newly endorsed for preceptor resident training. Furthermore, in 1942, the Community Chest of Philadelphia acknowledged Douglass Hospital for attempting to cooperate with the proposed Merger with Mercy Hospital, and permitted the institution, on June 1st, to join the Chest to receive its first annual grant. However, Douglass Hospital’s progress was short-lived as the hospital failed to meet basic requirements set by the Pennsylvania State Board of Medical Education and Licensure, which subsequently removed the hospital from the list of approved institutions for interne training. In 1948, the Douglass building no longer served of purpose since the merger of Mercy and Douglass Hospital - the Douglass Hospital’s building closed, and operations remained at Mercy Hospital’s site.

In 1905, Dr. Hinson left the board of Directors at Douglass Hospital, and, with the help of other community figures, began laying plans for “a new “progressive” hospital” that would “provide young physicians with a greater opportunity for development than what was offered at Douglass under Dr. Mossell.” On December 1905, a group of Douglass physicians met to reorganize a new progressive hospital, and acquired a private dwelling on the Northwest corner of 17th and Fitzwater Streets. In 1907, Mercy Hospital opened its doors for service, and, within the first few months of operation, appropriated state aid. In 1908, there was a significant shortage in Mercy hospital’s inventory of medical supplies. Furthermore, the hospital’s financial conditions made it impossible for administrators to pay hospital employees, and meet other capital-related financial obligations. In 1912, Mercy Hospital set to expand operations, and was approached by the Episcopal Divinity School at 50th Street and Woodland Avenue regarding the possibility of using their site as a new location for Mercy Hospital. Mercy Hospital purchased the west Philadelphia building in 1919 for $130,000, expanded the Nursing School, and established an Interne Training Program. The Mercy Douglass Board of Managers made an attempt to increase the community’s awareness of Mercy Hospital by instituting a series of community based lectures on health and sanitation in various churches. While Mercy Hospital experienced financial difficulties in the 1930s, it solicited funding from the Rosenwald fund through a success fundraising campaign, which made it possible for the hospital to construct a new modern home for nurses. By 1931, Mercy’s Hospital’s Nursing School had increased student enrollment to forty. In 1940, Mercy Hospital established a reorganization committee that presented strong arguments in favor of a merger with Douglass Hospital. Mercy Hospital initially rejected the proposed merger in interest of harmony. The board of Directors took another vote on March 1941, and repudiated the merger on the grounds of avoiding a “divided” and uncooperative environment. Dr. Henry M.Minton, who led Mercy Hospital as the Superintendent, resigned after twenty five years of service. The hospital’s reorganization committee decided to abolish the office of Superintendent, and divided the affairs of the hospital into a Business Administrator and Medical Director. In 1946, Mercy Hospital received a $50,000 gift from Mr. Lessing Rosenwald “to tide it [Mercy Hospital] over its difficulties.” Following the merger of Mercy and Douglass Hospitals, Mercy Hospital’s site remained operational, and housed the merged institution.

The first talks of a merger between Mercy and Douglass Hospitals were initiated in 1938, in attempt to find a solution towards fulfilling the large financial obligations of both Mercy and Douglass Hospitals. Doctors Russell F. Minton, Douglass Stubbs, and Arthur H. Thomas embarked on acountrywide tour to visit seventy hospitals largely controlled by African Americans. They concluded the medical situation of African Americans in Philadelphia at the time was by far the worst of all cities visited, with the exception of New York. The reorganization committee at Mercy Hospital in 1940 argued in favor of the merger suggesting that it would ease financial constraints, and provide the opportunity for physicians and patients to experience better healthcare related services. In 1941, the benefits of a merger between Mercy and Douglass hospitals became evident to both African American and White communities, who fully understood Mercy and Douglass Hospitals as institutions that provided opportunities for African American physicians and nurses. In 1946, a joint committee representing Mercy and Douglass Hospitals, as well as the Community Chest was established to investigate the idea of a merger. In July 1946, Dr. Eugene Hinson, one of the original founders of Mercy, was against the idea of a merger, and asked that the merger attempt be dropped. However, in 1947, the joint committee published their findings on the idea of a merger, and recommended Mercy and Douglass Hospitals merge to avoid financial instability, and eventually, closure. Mercy and Douglass Hospitals merged in March 1948, and was named the Mercy-Douglass Hospital. In addition to the merger, a group of notable physicians from teaching institutions were invited to aid the hospital in developing an adequate training program for residents, which led to Mercy-Douglass’ affiliation with the Children’s Hospital for pediatric training, Temple and Jefferson in radiology, and the University of Pennsylvania in surgery. The merger subsequently resolved the problems experienced by both hospitals. The school recessed from 1957 to 1958, reconvened for 1959, and then graduated its last class in 1960. Arrangements were made, however, to provide clinical training experiences for students from the Tuskeegee Institute School of Nursing and other schools which continued intermittently until the Mercy-Douglass Hospital closed in 1973.

References: Minton, R. F. "The History of Mercy-Douglass Hospital." Journal of the National Medical Association 43.3 (1951): 153-59.

Rudwick, Elliot M. "A Brief History of Mercy-Douglass Hospital in Philadelphia." The Journal of Negro Education 20.1 (1951): 50-66.

Scope and Contents

This collection was donated by the Alumnae Association of the Mercy-Douglass Hospital which took care of the hospital records after the hospital closed down in 1973. The collection consists mainly of records of Mercy-Douglass Hospital and its two predecessors, records of the school of nursing (predominantly its student files), and some 200 photographs related to both hospital and school. The collection provides important documentation of the black experience in nursing. The records of the alumnae association has been kept separately under MC 27.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Bethany Myers

Sponsor

This collection was processed with funds provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission as part of the Nursing History Processing and Cataloging Project.

Access Restrictions

This collection is unrestricted.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift of the Alumnae Association of Mercy-Douglass School of Nursing.

Return to Top »

Related Materials

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
  • Alumnae Association of Mercy-Douglass School of Nursing.
  • Mercy-Douglass Hospital.
Form/Genre(s)
  • Hospital records
  • Photographs
  • School records
Geographic Name(s)
  • Philadelphia (Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • African American nurses
  • Influenza Epidemic, 1918-1919.
  • Nursing schools.
  • Nursing students

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Series 1.  Frederick Douglass Hospital, 1896-1947.

Scope and Contents note

This series contains some historical information of the hospital, annual reports, and about 60 personnel files kept by the hospital.

Box Folder

History.

1 1

Annual reports from Board of Managers, 1896-1897.

1 2

National Conference of Hospital Administrators, Souvenir Program, 1946.

1 3

Testimonial Banquet, 1947.

1 4

Personnel files.

Box Folder

Adams, Laura B.

1 5

Adams, Mattie.

1 6

Alston, Annette.

1 7

Anderson, Edith M.

1 8

Bailey, Dorothy L.

1 9

Bailey, Mary N.

1 10

Banton, Naomi.

1 11

Barnes, Blanch F.

1 12

Barrett. Shirley H.

1 13

Beaty, Evelyn E.

1 14

Bennett, Ossilyne.

1 15

Bishop, Nannie B.

1 16

Bowser, Dorothy A.

1 17

Bronner, Jeanette A.

1 18

Browning, Coretha O.

1 19

Burris, Rochell D.

1 20

Byers, Dorothy B.

1 21

Caldwell, Dorothy E.

1 22

Camachio, Mamie G.

1 23

Carter, Elizabeth F.A.

1 24

Carter, Emma B.

1 25

Carter, Nacoma W.

1 26

Chainey, Ruth M.E.

1 27

Charleston, A.C.

1 28

Clarke, America L.

1 29

Clayton, Wrennetta O.

1 30

Clifton, Lillian R.

1 31

Coble, Martha V.

1 32

Cochran, Mary L.

1 33

Cooper, Ada E.

1 34

Craddock, Rosalie.

1 35

Crawford, Willie M.

1 36

Day, Lena D.

1 37

Donaldson, Eva M.

1 38

Drake, Geneva L.

1 39

Eleby, Annie D.

1 40

Evans, Winnifred.

1 41

Faison, Theopia E.

1 42

Farris, M. Towns.

1 43

Folk, M. Julia.

1 44

Foreman, Carolyn J.

1 45

Francis, Edith I.

1 46

Galey, Mary M.

1 47

Gardner, N. Roberta.

1 48

Garrison, Pauline E.

1 49

Gideon, Annie E.

1 50

Glenn, Helen E.

1 51

Goins, Daisy T.

1 52

Gordon, Flora L.

1 53

Green, Mary E.

1 54

Griffin, Alice R.

1 55

Hagans, Jeuverna.

1 56

Haith, Ruth E.

1 57

Hall, Edna O.T.

1 58

Hamilton, Mildred.

1 59

Harrall, Agolda A.

1 60

Hawkins, Helen I.

1 61

Henry, Lucy N.

1 62

Hines, Lattie B.C.

1 63

Quarles, Gladys H.

1 64

Roache, Arnetta.

1 65

Winters, Ruth A.

1 66

Return to Top »

Series 2.  Mercy Hospital, 1919-1952.

Scope and Contents note

This series includes history, annual reports, and correspondence.

Box Folder

History of Mercy Hospital and School for Nurses, undated.

2 1

Announcement, 1937-1938.

2 2

Annual Reports, 1919-1939.

2 3

Annual reports to State Board of Examiners for the Registration of Nurses, 1933-1947.

2 4

Brochure: "For the Health of a Race", 1930.

2 5

Commencement program and Capping ceremony, 1944-1946.

2 6

Correspondence, 1938-1946.

2 7

Henry M. Minton, "Problems of Hospital Administration", 1927.

2 8

Qualifications of nursing executive staff, 1942-1952.

2 9

School for Nurses.

Box Folder

Applications to the State Board of Examiners for Registration of Nurses, 1921-1932.

2 10

Nurses' Home dedication, 1930.

2 11

1929 class programs.

2 12

Programs, 1938-1948.

2 13

1934 class yearbook.

2 14

Regulations for student nurses, undated.

2 15

Survey of Negro Nurses in Philadelphia Summary, 1946.

2 16

Student Government Association.

Box Folder

Constitution and bylaws, undated.

2 17

Return to Top »

Series 3.  Mercy-Douglass Hospital, 1948-1968.

Scope and Contents note

This series contains history, annual statistical report to the Board, publications, and a big news clipping scrapbook.

Box Folder

History, 1951.

2 1

Annual statistical report to the Board of Directors, 1951-1952.

2 2

Handbook for psychiatric attendants, undated.

2 3

Organizational and operational charts, [1961].

2 4

Philosophy of the Nursing Department, undated.

2 5

Proposed budget, 1955.

2 6

Publications, 1960-1968.

2 7

Turnover statistics, 1958.

2 8

Miscellaneous, 1948-1965.

2 9

News clipping scrapbook, 1956-1965.

Return to Top »

Series 4.  Mercy-Douglass Hospital Auxiliaries, 1950-1962.

Scope and Contents note

This series documents the activities of both the Mercy-Douglass Hospital Auxiliaries Board and the Women's Board.

Box Folder

Board, Constitution and bylaws, undated.

2 1

Programs, 1957-1962.

2 2

Pyramid Club, group photograph, 1950.

2 3

Women's Board.

Box Folder

Charity ball program, 1961.

2 4

Miscellaneous, 1951-1962.

2 5

Return to Top »

Series 5.  Mercy-Douglass Hospital, School of Nursing, General Files, 1909-1977.

Scope and Contents note

This series contains all administrative records of the school of nursing. Included are annual reports to State Board of Examiners, class lists, a class yearbook, correspondence with State Bureau of Professional Licensing and State Department of Public Instruction, student handbook, etc.

Box Folder

Annual report to New York State Education Department, 1939-1951.

2 1

Annual report to State Board of Examiners for the registration of nurses, 1948-1961.

2 2

Bulletin, undated.

2 3

Class lists, 1935-1960.

3 4

Class yearbook "Invictus 1953", 1953.

3 5

Commencements, Capping ceremony, Proms, 1950-1960.

3 6

Contracts with other institutions for nursing student practice, 1930-1961.

3 7

Correspondence.

Box Folder

General, 1938-1977.

3 8

Graduate outfits, 1957-1959.

3 9

Director of Nurses, Reports, 1959-1960.

3 10

Faculty organization, Constitution, undated.

3 11

Graduation prizes for classes of 1954 and 1960.

3 12

List of Graduates, 1909-1960.

3 13

Miscellaneous, 1923-1952.

3 14

Nursing care instructions, 1961.

3 15

Nursing School Committee.

Box Folder

Minutes, agenda, reports, 1951-1958.

3 16

Correspondence, 1949-1958.

3 17

State Board examination results, 1950-1961.

3 18

State Board of Examiners for Registration of Nurses.

Box Folder

Reports and Statistics, 1942-1959.

3 19

State Bureau of Professional Licensing, Correspondence, 1957-1973.

3 20

State Department of Public Instruction.

Box Folder

Statistics and correspondence, 1928-1957.

3 21

List of schools of nursing in PA approved, 1946.

3 22

State Department of Welfare, Appropriation requisition forms, 1949-1960.

3 23

Students handbook, undated.

3 24

Testimonials, 1954-1960.

3 25

Return to Top »

Series 6.  Mercy-Douglass Hospital School of Nursing, Student Files, 1909-1960.

Scope and Contents note

This series is purely of individual records of students. They are divided into three major groups belonging respectively to the three hospitals--Frederick, Mercy, and Mercy-Douglass. The student files are arranged chronologically in each group and then alphabetically by the students' last names within each time period.

Frederick Douglass Hospital Student Records.

Box

Class of 1909-1935.

4

Mercy Hospital Student Records.

Box

Class of 1920-1934, Daily Time Books.

5

Class of 1935-1939.

6

Class of 1940-1942, 1943 (A-R).

7

Class of 1943 (R-W), 1944, 1945 (A-I).

8

Class of 1945 (J-W), 1946.

9

Class of 1947.

10

Mercy-Douglass Hospital Student Records.

Box
10
Box

Class of 1948 (B-G).

10

Class of 1948 (G-W), 1949.

11

Class of 1950-1951, 1952 (C,D).

12

Class of 1952 (D-R), 1953.

13

Class of 1954, 1955 (B-G).

14

Class of 1955 (G-W), 1956.

15

Class of 1959, 1960 (incomplete).

16

Incomplete, Dropped, Withdrawal, Special Students.

Box

A-R.

17

S-Z.

18

Cards.

Group A.

Box

Scheduled for Testing (blue color).

19

Students awaiting testing (3 x 5 inches).

19

Miscellaneous (including lists of members, professionals--active, emeritus, courtesy) (3 x 5, white color).

19

Rolodex cards.

19

Student record cards, Mercy-Douglass Hospital, up to 1956 (4 x 6, white color).

19

Drop-outs, Mercy/Mercy-Douglass Hospitals, 1919-1954 (4 x 6, white color).

19

Group B.

Box

Miscellaneous student record cards, Mercy Hospital (?) (3 x 5, yellow color).

19

File cards for Frederick Douglass students (orange color).

19

Return to Top »

Series 7.  Other Organizations, 1939-1962.

Scope and Contents note

This series contains miscellaneous material documenting the relations between the Mercy-Douglass Hospital and University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Visiting Nurse Society of Philadelphia, and one more organization.

Hospital Clothing Co.

Box Folder

Promotion brochure: custom made uniform, University of Pennsylvania, School of Nursing, [1939].

20 1

Meeting of representatives of cooperation agencies: agenda, Visiting Nurse Society of Philadelphia, 1962.

20 2

Correspondence, 1940-1955.

20 3

Return to Top »

Series 8.  Photographs. 208 photographs.

Scope and Contents note

This series contains 208 photographs grouped under the time periods of the three hospitals. Within each group, photographs are assorted under such subjects as "Buildings," "Facilities," "People (either students, interns, or staff)," and by all kinds of activities.

Frederick Douglass Hospital.

Buildings.
Box Photo

Frederick Douglass Hospital, 1896.

21 1
Facilities.
Box Photo

Reception Room.

21 2

Sewing Room.

21 3

Sewing Room with nurse Charlotte Carr sitting at the table.

21 4

Laundry Room, pre-1920.

21 5

Laundry Room, post-1920.

21 6

Dining Room.

21 7

Dining Room.

21 8

Roof Garden decorated for Halloween.

21 9

Roof Garden at Halloween, filled with the students of Durham School.

21 10

Nurses Bedroom.

21 11

VD Clinic Building Room.

21 12
People.
Box Photo

Nathaniel F. Mossell, Superintendent and Medical Director of Frederick Douglass hospital upon its founding in 1895. Also first graduate of University of Pennsylvania's medical school, 1882.

21 13
Ceremony.
Box Photo

A group of Douglass Hospital nurses presenting a check to the Stephen Smith Home to buy a bathroom chair-lift in memory of Mrs. Marie Carter, a deceased Douglass nurse.

21 14

Frederick Douglass Hospital and School for Nursing.

Students.
Photo

Class of 1923.

15
Box Photo

Beatrice Cooley, student, circa 1928.

21 16
Mercy Hospital Buildings.
Box Photo

Mercy Hospital, 1907-1919, 17th and Fitzwater Streets.

22 17

Mercy Hospital, 1907-1919, 17th and Fitzwater Streets.

22 17a
Photo

Mercy Hospital, 50th and Woodland Ave., 1919.

18

Mercy Hospital, 50th and Woodland Ave., 1919.

18a

Mercy Hospital, 50th and Woodland Ave., 1919.

18b
Box Photo

Mercy Hospital, circa 1920s.

22 19

Mercy Hospital, circa 1930s.

22 20

Mercy Hospital, circa 1930s.

22 20a

Mercy Hospital, circa 1930s.

22 21

West Front corner of Mercy Hospital, Philips Auditorium, lower right.

22 22
Facilities.
Box Photo

Children's Ward.

22 23

Mercy Hospital Ambulance.

22 24

Recreation Room.

22 25

Recreation Room.

22 26

Living Room.

22 27

Dining Room.

22 28

Supply Room, 2nd Floor.

22 29
People.
Founding Fathers.
Box Photo

Group photo includes: Dr. Strickland, Dr. James, Dr. Hilton, Dr. Cherry, Dr. Warrick, Dr. Abele, Dr. Boyer, Dr. Minton, Dr. Jackson, Dr. Howard, Dr. Hinson, and Dr. Coates.

22 30

Group photo.

22 30a
Photo

side A Group photo.

30b
Box Photo

Dr. Eugene T. Hinson, on first Board of Managers of Mercy Hospital, 1907-1922.

22 31

Plaque erected in honor of founding fathers.

22 32

Staff.

Nurses.
Box Photo

Miss J. Imogene Howard, first Superintendent and Board of Directors at Mercy Hospital, seated right.

22 33

Miss J. Imogene Howard, first Superintendent and Board of Directors at Mercy Hospital, seated right.

22 33a

Unidentified nurse making a phone call.

22 34

Unidentified nurse making a phone call.

22 34a

Unidentified nurse making a phone call.

22 34b

Unidentified nurse making a phone call.

22 34c
Photo

Group of Nurses, 1921.

35
Box Photo

Mercy Hospital Nursing Staff with Miss Lula G. Warwick at center: Earnestine Eller, Fredericka Jones, Thelma Johnson Smith,Viola Terrell White, Eva Taylor Kinzer Reid, Eleanor Cain, Nora Lloyd Norman, Alberta Martin, Frances Young, Alvie Madison, and Dorthy Maguire (dietician).

22 36

Mercy Hospital Nursing Staff, Miss Lula G. Warwick standing, 3rd from right.

22 37
Photo

Miss Lula G. Warlick, Director of Nurses, 1917, 1920-1943.

38
Box Photo

Miss Lula G. Warlick, 1943.

22 39

Reta Miller, class of 1924, Educational Director.

22 40
Photo

Interns and Nurses in front of an ambulance.

41
Box Photo

Mercy Hospital Attending Staff: Standing-Dr. James L. Martin, Dr. Carter (5th from left), Dr. Chancy Harlett, Dr. Aldridge Burton, Dr. Sullivan (10th from left). Sitting-Dr. E. Hinson, Dr. William J. Harvey, Dr. W. Sutton, Dr. George Strickland, Dr. Fred Hopkins, Dr. Henry Minton, Dr. Edberg Scott, Dr. Frank Baston, Dr. V.S. Wiggins. Sitting on the ground-Dr. Sammual F. Sewel and Dr. Frederick Fortune, 1930.

22 42
Interns.
Box Photo

Mercy Hospital Interns: Standing-Townes, William Jackson, Lester Freeton. Sitting-Johnson and William Sullivan, 1928-1929.

22 43

Mercy Hospital Interns: includes Dr. Minton, 1929-1930.

22 44

Mercy Hospital Interns: far left-Dr. Earl Fisher, 1930-1931.

22 45

Mercy Hospital Interns: far left- McKnight, far right- David Taylor, 1930-1031.

22 46

Mercy Hospital Interns: 2nd from left-Sims, 4th from left-Gaskins, far right-Hawkins, 1931-1932.

22 47

Mercy Hospital Interns: 2nd from left-Sims, 4th from left-Gaskins, far right-Hawkins, 1931-1932.

22 47a

Mercy Hospital Interns: 3rd from left-Dr. Harold Farmer, 1932-1933.

22 48

Mercy Hospital Interns: 3rd from left-Dr. Harold Farmer, 1932-1933.

22 48a

Mercy Hospital Interns:3rd from left-Dr. Harold Farmer, 1932-1933.

22 48b

Mercy Hospital Interns: far left-Arthur Thomas, 2nd from left-Farmer, 5th from left-Earl Hawkins, 1933-1934.

22 49

Mercy Hospital Interns: far left-Arthur Thomas, 2nd from left-Farmer, 5th from left-Earl Hawkins, 1933-1934.

22 49a

Dr. Graves, intern, early 1930s.

22 50

Dr. Russell Minton.

22 51

Unidentified intern, 1930s.

22 52

Unidentified intern.

22 53

Unidentified intern with nurse.

22 54
Miscellaneous.
Box Photo

Miss Valentine Green.

22 55

Three unidentified men.

22 56
Ceremony.
Box Photo

Unidentified people at special dedication ceremony.

22 57

Cornerstone laying of the Nurses' Home, 1930.

22 58

Cornerstone laying of the Nurses' Home, 1930.

22 59

Miss Lula G. Warlick at special function with Dr. Henry Minton and Mrs. Vioris Kirton Bartholomew.

22 60

William P. Roche Post 21 of the American Legion, presents gifts to MDH, 1943.

22 61-66a
Miscellaneous.
Box Photo

Civic Exposition of Mercy Hospital at the Commercial Museum, May 15-June 10, 1916.

22 67

Mercy Hospital School of Nursing, 1922-1947.

Formal Class Portraits.
Box Photo

Class of 1922: Standing-Ellenteen E. Deas, Bertha Bryant, Adelaide Harty Fleming, Rosa Lee Turner, and Margie Anderson. Sitting- Irene Estella Morris, Bertha Ramsey Bolden, Lucille V. Darnell, and Oralce Brown Harris.

23 68

Class of 1922.

23 68a

Class of 1922.

23 68b

Class of 1922 with nursing capes.

23 69

Class of 1923: left-right, Viola Abrahams (Pierce), Flora Alexander Brown, Elsie Davenport Raymond, Geraldine Pollard Briggs, Florence Mae Richardson and Frances Richardson Addeson.

23 70

Class of 1923.

23 70a

Class of 1924: Rita Miller, RN, Educational Director Mercy-Douglass Hospital; Ethel Davis (Dackett), RN; Inez Sasportas (Bosnett), RN Public Health Nurse; and Senora Robinson (Hosein), RN.

23 71

Class of 1925: Ethel Campbell, Hannah S. Booker, Elsie Harris, Emily Arrington, Lonnie Theus, Clarice M. Blue, Ruth Wright, Mary Thompson, Georgia L. Brown, and Myrtle Crigler (see back of photo for titles and positions).

23 72

Class of 1928: Gladys Jenkins, Laura Cook, Garnett Armstrong, Gertrude Scott, Ruth Mason, and Alberta Banks (titles and positions on back of photo).

23 73

Class of 1929: Helen Richardson, Doreas Taylor, Hester Garner, Catherine Belton, Marion Ewell, Dora Oxley, Mae Turner, Zoella Young, and Beala Jessie (titles and positions on back of photo).

23 74

Class of 1930: Lazerenah Miller, Corrine Woodson, Viola T. White, Ruth Duncan, Nettie Mae Robinson, Annie Allen, Vioris Kirton, Elinor Turner, Willa Mae McCrum, Catherine Cheatam, and Grace Cheatam (titles and positions on back of photo).

23 75
Photo

Class of 1930.

75a
Box Photo

Training School Students, 1930.

23 76

Class of 1931: Anna Roberts Smith, Lenora Erby, Helen McClellen, Cleo C. Hudson, Myrtle M. Booth (Ashhurst), Gladys Armstead, Mary F. Rochester, Marguerite F. Burris, Edith Curtis (Longly).

23 77

Class of 1932: Marion Griffen, Pauline Turner, Lucy Hammon, Marjorie Stokes, Emily Johnson (Cromwell), Estella Smith, Rachel Conner, Carolyn Hubbard (Smith), Henrietta Hulbell (Butler), Clyda Barrett, Martha Lloyd, and Janice R. Phillips.

23 78

Class of 1932.

23 79

Class of 1933: Susie E. Watson, Elizabeth Morgan, Mary Louise Grass, Gertrude I. Daley, Alice G. Johnson, Marion E. Jackson, Mary L. Mazique, Viola Steward, and Wilhelmina McKinney.

23 80

Class of 1933.

23 80a

Class of 1934: Anna Webb Hogan, Nora Floyd Norman, Ester P. Henry, Margaret Busbane, Eleanor M. Thompson, Margaret Jackson, Clara B. Motley, Marquerite Parker, and Juanita Bentley.

23 81

Class of 1934.

23 81a

Class of 1935: Louisa L. Brashears, Virginia Burrell Lang, Margaret L. Campbell, Caroline Crosby Lovin, Virginia L. Coad, Cecelea Finke, Edith Francis, Hyacinth Freeman, Florence M. Hargett, Pauline Holland Hord, Margaret Richardson, Alice Rogers Mayo, Dorothy Savage Miller, Lenora Williams Cole, Ruth B. Hutchins Gray.

23 82

Class of 1935.

23 82a

Class of 1936: Garret Carter Bridges, Ruth J. Cornes Odom, Ruby Lee Hatcher King, Nancy B. Johnson Allen, Mae Elizabeth Lane Benson, Evelyn J. Pearce Issacs, Dorothy Shields, Francis Turner Forsyth, Loretta Smallwood, Nora Elizabeth Wallace Cave, and Wilma R. Washington Bravis.

23 83

Class of 1936.

23 83a

Class of 1937: Helen E. Allie Nightingale, Helen Brown, Lucille Copeland Mitchell, Hattie B. Dabney Mishoe, Louise H. Lindsay, Ellis Davis, Ethel E. Hall Gashins, Mary P. Hammond Lawrence, Marguerite Huston Lucas, Betty Martin Falver, Freda Reese Davis, Edna Templeton Collins, Hildegarde Simons, and Edna Wheeler Smith.

23 84

Class of 1938: Louise E. Brown Wise, Thelma Marie Clark, Marie C. Crawford Cowans, Carrie D. Durry Taylor, Racel Elliott Robinson, Edith Gertrude Harrison, Katherine Henderson Peterson, Florence May Lee Dobyn, Marian Morton, Ella Mae Colbert Murray, Evelyn Pannell Crampton, Margaret J. Patterson Jones, Ernestine Hill Ransome Thomas, Nettie B. Townsend Berronett, Hazel Wagstaff Bush, and Shirley Willis Nolley.

23 85

Class of 1939: Phyllis Brodis Barton, Alice Cash Chavous, Dorothy Doyle Watts, Frances Farmer Graves, Joanne Franklin Jackson, Mildred Heidson William, Edna Phillips Fisher, Alya I. Macky, Thelma Faliafer Heywood, Janet Magurdor Edward, Edith A. Parker Williams.

23 86

Class of 1940: Hazel Bayard, Bertha Fulton Bolden, Rebecca Woods, Dorothy Bailey, Autren Shepherd, Mary Parker, Winifred Sinclair, Daryl Vaster, Frances Watkins, Reid, Laura Smith, Parsons, Ruth Washington, and Lillie Lesene. Taken in 1937 in front of the Nurses Home.

23 87

Class of 1941: Louise Warren, Marian Fripps, Esther Burrell, Joyce Harmon, Irene Simons, Marion Sessons, Pauline Wilson, Julia Joseph. Top row-Sarah Henry, Louella Mitchell, Lourene Martin, Danease Mason, Sarah Harris, Arthurlyn Vassel, and Armentry Hullum.

23 88

Class of 1941 with signatures.

23 89

Class of 1942: Top row-Gene Payne, Louise Jenkins, Elizabeth Meredith, Frances Kee. 2nd row-Mildred Wheeler, Alberta Martin, Harriet Hubert, Marie Brown, Winifred Sims, Rosetta Jones. Bottom row-Jeanne Stone, Catherine Harris, Frances Gill, Vera Adams, Catherine Jenkins, and Gladys Nickleby.

23 90

Class of 1943: Mary J. Reynolds, Helen E. Robinson, Hattie M. Johnson, Mabel M. Harmon, Ethel M. Huie, Margie M. Rodman, Minnie K. Reeves, Ruby L. Rose, Rose S. Wilson, Evelyn R. Page, and Anne E. Terrel.

23 91

Class of 1944: Myrtle Collins Lawler, Bertha Fletcher, Madeline Griffin Hayman, Nora Haith Bingle, Emma Harris Smith, Virginia Hawkins Garland, Freda Hill Wilson, Nellie King, Marion March Austin, Salom Pearson Moffett, Annie Press Edwards, Evelyn Lawrence Robinson, Alberta Wyche, and Elizabeth Whitney Haddin.

23 92

Class of 1945: Seated-Eva Bibbins, Corrine Brown, Rose Cyburn, Olivia Cuff, Jessie Dantzler, Harriet Graves. Standing-Earline Johnson, Lillian Allen, Anna King, Ruby Reid, Mary Macklin, Louise Robinson, Valburg Marquis, Mary Quarles, Dorothy Montague, Frances Talyer, Anna Parker, Leona Wycoff, Jo V. Parrion, Dorothy Hammond, and De Melba Price (not shows- Justine Ingersoll, Carolyn Jone, Mattie Moore, Ruth Pinders, and Elizabeth Tames). From a copy made by Earline J. Ford, August 17, 1977.

23 93

Class of 1946: Corine Adams Fortune, Dorothy Baynard, Daisy Alberta Bell, Mary Frances Bragg, Dorothy Caldwell Prichett, Norma Cave Wolcott, Martha Ford Hopkins, Catharine Virginia Fortune, Rosemary Goens Burkes, Beatrice Greene, Ruth Sarah Harris, Elva Heastie, Carmen Olivier Lewis.

23 94

Class of 1947: Edith Virginia Carter, Martha Diggs, Naomi Hicks, Doris Higgins Harris, Thelma Johnson Smith, Anna Lee Jones Garland, Lorraine Jones Hinton, Beryl Elaine McLeod, Louise Mitchell Small, Hazel Palmer Fletcher, Louise Thornton Bector, Delores Watson Bennett, Cora Bell Williams, Dorothy Williams, Elnora Wilson, and Lela Ruth Bethel.

23 95
Unidentified Class Portraits.
Box Photo

Unidentified.

23 96

Miss Lula G. Warlick is present.

23 97
Classes in session.
Box Photo

Class of 1929 attending lecture.

23 98
Individuals.
Box Photo

Dora Axley (Atwell), class of 1929.

23 99

Catherine Belton, class of 1929.

23 100

Class of 1929 student holding a newborn.

23 101
Extracurricular Activities.
Box Photo

Nurses Basketball Team, 1924-1925.

23 102

Basketball team, circa 1946.

23 103
Dorm Life.
Box Photo

Not room enough for two, not air enough for one.

23 104

Ministering to health of others--yet risking their own by overcrowding.

23 105
Buildings.
Box Photo

Postcard of the pre-1956 Mercy-Douglass Hospital.

24 106

Mercy-Douglass Hospital, 1956.

24 107

Sketch of the new hospital.

24 108

Sketch of the new building by architect Howell Lewis Shay.

24 109

Sketch of the new building by architect Howell Lewis Shay, circa 1958.

24 110

Nurses' Homes--The Warlick Building.

24 111

The New Nurses' Home.

24 112

The New Nurses' Home.

24 113
Facilities.
Box Photo

Laboratory.

24 114

OB ward in old Mercy-Douglass Hospital.

24 115

Tuberculosis Department--White Haven Sanitorium.

24 116

Operating Room.

24 117

Pathological Laboratory.

24 118

Women's Surgical Ward.

24 119
People.
Staff Doctors.
Box Photo

Dr. Beck, pathologist, 1956-1960.

24 120

Dr. Daniel B. Taylor.

24 121

Dr. John L. Graves and Helen Brown ('37) in pediatric ward.

24 122

Dr. Minton performing an X-ray with the help of two nurses.

24 123

Anesthesiologist preparing a patient for surgery.

24 124
Nurses.
Box Photo

Mercy-Douglass nurses, circa 1950.

24 125

Group of nurses with Mr. Prosoe: Mrs. Alfred Smith, Fredericka Jones, Mrs. Johnson Smith, Annie Johnson, Catherine Jenkins, V. Terrell White, and Mrs. Mohr Norman.

24 126

Mrs. V. Terrell White, Directress of Nursing 1950-1956, October 12, 1956.

24 127

Terrell White, Directress of Nursing.

24 128

Mrs. Davis, class of '59, Head Nurse of Nursery.

24 129

Mildred Lee, class of '59 with pediatric patients, 1959.

24 130

Pauline Hammand and unidentified others with newborns.

24 131

Unidentified nurse holding cardex.

24 132

Unidentified nurse.

24 134
Meetings.
Box Photo

Includes: Dr. Russell Minton, Dr. Lances McKnight, Dr. Daniel B. Taylor, Dr. Arthur Thomas, and Dr. Wilson Strickland.

24 135

Includes: Dr. Russell Minton, Dr. Lances McKnight, Dr. Daniel B. Taylor, Dr. Arthur Thomas, and Dr. Wilson Strickland.

24 136

Attending Staff Meeting: Dr. F.M. Hopkins, Dr. C. Hardee, Dr. E.T. Hinson, and Dr. Russell Minton. Seated-Dr. H.E. Iownes, Dr. Lances McKnight, and Dr. F.W. Fortune.

24 137

Group of physcians and one nurse. Meeting includes: Dr. Edward Holloway, Dr. Arthur H. Thomas, Dr. Edward Cooper, Dr. Wilbur Strickland, Dr. Melvin Chisum, and Dr. J.O. Brown.

24 138
Demonstrations (for the public?).
Box Photo

Nurse shows guests components of medication/supply cart, circa 1940.

24 139

Personnel demonstrates use of electron microscope.

24 140

Gracie Hill Perry ('60) conducts tour of respiratory isolation ward.

24 141

Unice Davis explains the isolette.

24 142
Red Cross.
Box Photo

Unidentified student donates blood to the Red Cross.

24 143

Red Cross nurse hands 1 unit of citrated whole blood to Beverly Russell, class of 1960, circa 1960.

24 144

Unidentified nurse showing patient Red Cross poster Hospital Women's Board of Auxiliaries.

24 145

Easter Zone Regional Women's Auxiliaries to the NMA. Includes: Dr. Russell Minton, Dr. C.T.C. Nurse, Dr. Eugene Hinson, and Dr. Helen Dickens, March 15, 1950.

24 146

Les Dilettante Belles present a check from their 4th annual soiree to the Hospital Women's Board of Auxiliaries.

24 147

Les Dilettante Belles present a check from their 4th annual soiree to the Hospital Women's Board of Auxiliaries.

24 147a

Last Board of Auxiliaries present a check to MDH.

24 148
Miscellaneous.
Box Photo

Directress of Nurses, Terrell White (3rd from left), present honor to Estelle Massey Osbourne (2nd from left).

24 149

Unidentified award.

24 150

Nurses Tea: far left-Dr. E.T. Hinson, far right-Dr. John H. Graves.

24 151

Mercy-Douglass Hospital School of Nursing, 1948-1960.

Box
25
Formal Class Portraits.
Box Photo

Class of 1949: Zelpha Baltimore, Lois Jean Bentley, Mancey Busherville, Sarah Eberhardt, Edna Hibbert, Moyelle Merrett, Louise Murphy, Annabelle Peterson, Lillian Thomas, Alma Thompson, Martha Watkins, and Louise West.

25 152

Class of 1949.

25 153

Class of 1950: Mary June Hill, Careen Fields, Lucille Woody, Lois Pelzer Pearson, Elma Dunbar, and Ruth Elaine Tate.

25 154

Class of 1951: Alberta Alston, Earlene Christopher Chester, Bernice Fields, Amelie Gladman Gabriel, Virginia Winchester Gray, Charlotte Hatcher, Annie Lynton Johnson, Alice Kyler, Cordelia O'Connor, Hermine Odom, Corrine Pannel Sampson, Helen Peterson, Rosa Rybor, Jeannette Robert, Evelyn Shaw, Edna Simon, and Gladys Chester.

25 155

Class of 1953: Marine Allman, Phyllis Blackston, Ella Bryant, Maryland Dunston Mobley, Grace England Scott, Florence Hawell, Mary Lowe Evans, Verna Laidley Longstretch, Marnie Nicholson, Elizabeth Ramsey, Shirley Smith, Mollie Ware, Josephine Washington, Barbara Upshaw Floyd, and Peggy Long.

25 156

Class of 1955: 1st row-Mrs. Viola T. White, Director of Nurses; Fillian Harris; Elsie Lee Wakefield; Herbertz Mae Gibson (honor students); Miss Frederick Jones, Educational Director. 2nd row- Geraldine Bradford, Cora L. Burton, Thelma Danbar, Vera Garvin, Alberta Gillard, Era C. Gomez. 3rd row-Anna Jackson, Geraldine Johnson, Doris Jones, Naomi Lee, Lydia Guattlebaum. 4th row- Delores Parker, Bertha Rawley, Valerie Swarez, Ester Taylor, Grace Tyson, and Juanita Williams.

25 157

Class of 1955.

25 157a

Class of 1955.

25 158

Class of 1956: Gwendolyn E. Braxton, Elnora Haynes, Myrtle Feilds, Barbara Jordan, Sylvia Kitchen, Etlel Williams, Loretta Mitchell, Jeanette Haye, Victoria Fields, Mary Frances Wright, and May Leoia Caley.

25 159

Class of 1956 in streetclothes.

25 160
Unidentified Class of Portraits.
Box Photo

Unidentified.

25 161

Unidentified.

25 161a
Classes in session.
Box Photo

Class of 1959 in a laboratory.

25 162

Class of 1959 in lecture.

25 163

Class of 1959 in library.

25 164

Class of 1959 touring new observation room.

25 165

Unidentified students with dietary staff.

25 166

Unidentified students viewing an isolette.

25 167
Ceremonies.
Capping and Candlelighting Ceremony.
Box Photo

1952.

25 168

1954.

25 169

1955.

25 170

1959.

25 171

undated.

25 172
Graduation.
Box Photo

1954.

25 173

Depressa Burgless receives diploma, 1955.

25 174

1959.

25 175

Joyce Davidson Chapman receives diploma, 1959.

25 176

Joannette Warrington receives diploma, 1959.

25 177

undated.

25 178
Class of 1960 Graduation Luncheon.
Box Photo

Group photo.

26 179-180e

Head table with Alumnae Association members.

26 181

Head table with Alumnae Association members.

26 181a

Front of room with head table.

26 182

Front of room with head table.

26 182a

Four alumnae members at head table.

26 183

Four alumnae members at head table.

26 183a

Two alumnae members at head table.

26 184
Reception.
Box Photo

Unidentified students.

26 185
Special Dances.
Box Photo

Prom: Front row-Louise Thornton, Thelma Johnson, June Stout, Lela Bicks, and Anna L. Jones. Back row-Geraldine Felton, Sara Butler, Eleanor Jenkins, and Iduma Beard, 1947-1948.

26 186

Class of 1960 in formal dresses: Gracie Hill Perry--President, Marcia Archibald Newcombs, Alice Hedgemen, Evelyn Beach Dawson, Beverly Russell, Marcia Gray Pope, and Prisilla Hampton Mosley.

26 187

Class of 1960 in formal wear.

26 188

Alumnae members honoring class of 1960.

26 189

Alumnae members honoring class of 1960.

26 189a
Individuals.
Box Photo

Louise Murphy, Alma Thompson, Audrey Thomas, and Martha Watkins, class of 1949.

26 190

Gloria Dabney, class of 1954.

26 191

Gloria Dabney, class of 1954.

26 192
Extracurricular Activities.
Box
26
Box Photo

Basketball Team: Top row-Alberta Martin, Alma Fleming, Beatrice Brummel Leubada Marbury, Imogene Penn Maryland Dunston, Constance Hill. Bottom row-Virginia Gray, Jeannette Roberts Inez Grenat, Helen Harrison, and Molly Ware, 1950-1951.

26 193
Photo

Basketball Team, 1950-1951.

193a
Box Photo

Glee Club: Front row-Ethel Beach Duneson '60, Ann Sutton '59, Alice Christine '59, Marcha Cribba '59, Delores Dean '59, Arnetta Curney '59. Row 2-Joyce Davidson '59, Janette Warrington '59, Jean Wilson '59, and Leona Hill '59. Row 3- Dora Webb '59, and Mildred Lee '59, 1959-1960.

26 194

Glee Club, 1959.

26 195
Dorm Life.
Box Photo

Unidentified students in dorm.

26 196

Unidentified nurses playing ping-pong, 1959.

26 197

Mercy-Douglass Hospital School of Nurses, after 1960.

Students.
Box Photo

Greeting Tuskegee students for affiliation (1961-1962). Fourth from the left is Mrs. Wormsley (1963-1965).

26 198

Greeting Tuskegee students, 1962.

26 199

Unidentified group of students, 1962.

26 200

Class 3-11, January 24-February, 1966.

26 201

Class 5, Practical Nurse, completed 1967.

26 202
Classes in session.
Box Photo

Learning lab, March 11, 1961.

26 203
Ceremonies.
Box
26
Box Photo

Practical Nurse Class #2 presents lamps to MDH for hospital, 1966.

26 204

Licensed Practical Nurse, Class #3 present gifts to MDH, 1960.

26 205

Class #5 presents wheelchair to MDH.

26 206
Other.
Box Photo

Carla Mintz, first recipient of the scholarship with family and scholarship committee, circa 1970.

26 207

Scholarship Committee with Carla Mintz: Katherine Alexander, Gwendolyn E. Braxton, Marie Sherman Hamilton, Gracie Hill Perry. Winner, Carla Mintz seated, center, circa 1970.

26 208
Oversize Photo

Frederick Douglass Hospital, School of Nursing, Class of 1923.

27 15

Mercy Hospital, 1919.

27 18-18b

(side A) Group photo.

27 30b

Group of nurses, 1921.

27 35

Miss Lula G. Warlick, 1917.

27 38

Interns and nurses in front of an ambulance.

27 41

Class of 1930.

27 75a

Basketball team, 1950-1951.

27 193a

Return to Top »