Search Finding Aids
Ms. Codex 1979
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- Commonplace book
- circa 1805-1820
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1979
- 1 volume
- Language Note:
- Chiefly in English with some items in Latin.
- A volume containing excerpts and quotations of various authors compiled anonomously in England between the years 1805 to 1820.
Cite as:Commonplace book, circa 1805-1820, Ms. Codex 1979, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania
- Finding Aid's Permanent URL:
Scope and Contents
A volume with marbled paper covers containing excerpts and quotations of various authors compiled anonymously in England between the years 1805 to 1820. Included are excerpts from the works of Edmund Burke and Shakespeare and the poem We are seven by Wordsworth. There are anecdotes, ballads, elegies, epigrams, drama, essays, and parodies. Additionally are items regarding England. Many of the passages from Shakespeare at the beginning of the volume were written in shorthand. Some extracts are in Latin. A printed portrait of King George III is pasted on the front cover.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Donna Brandolisio
This codex is available for research use.
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Source of Acquisition
Sold by Blackwell Rare Books (Oxford, England), 2018.
Controlled Access Headings
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuscripts, English--19th century
- Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797--Works--Selections
- Commonplace books--England--19th century--Specimens
- Shakespeare, William, 1729-1616--Works--Selections
- Shorthand--19th century--Texts