Search Finding Aids
Pharmacy prescription book
Ms. Codex 2019
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- Pharmacy prescription book
- Date [inclusive]:
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 2019
- 1 volume
- A volume comprising over 1,700 formulas for prescriptions spanning the years from 1872 to 1874. The volume was probably created by a pharmacy or druggist's shop located in Nottinghamshire, England.
Cite as:Ms. Codex 2019, Pharmacy prescription book, 1872-1874, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania
- Finding Aid's Permanent URL:
Scope and Contents
A volume comprising over 1,700 formulas for prescriptions spanning the years from 1872 to 1874. The volume was probably created by a pharmacy or druggist's shop located in Nottinghamshire, England. The prescriptions are arranged chronologically and in numerical order beginning with number 227 and ending with number 1963. Presumably this is one of at least two volumes since the first number in the volume is 227. Written for each numerical entry is the patients name, street or town, formula, and the initials or name of the chemist or physician. Some items list the patient dosage and instructions. Ailments or titles of the prescriptive formulas are rarely listed. An alphabetical index is at the end of the volume arranged by patient's last name. A portion of the index for letters A to most of H is lacking. One leaf near the beginning of the volume is detached. Label on inside back cover: Robt. B. Earp, Mercantile family & fancy stationer, ... Nottingham.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Donna Brandolisio
Ths codex is available for research.
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Source of Acquisition
Sold by Alastor Rare Books (Lymington, England), 2019.
Controlled Access Headings
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Formularies (Medicine)
- Manuscripts, English--19th century
- Medicine--19th century--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions
- Pharmacy--England--Nottinghamshire--19th century--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions