Search Finding Aids
Photograph album, India
Ms. Coll. 1343
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- Photograph album, India
- circa 1905-1915
- Call Number:
- Ms. Coll. 1343
- 1 box (.20 linear foot)
- A photograph album containing twelve leaves with ninety-nine black-and-white photographs. The album was kept by an unnamed Indian family between the years 1905 to 1915. The photographs document the family at their estate or country home and while on vacation.
Cite as:Photograph album, India, circa 1905-1915, Ms. Coll. 1343, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania
- Finding Aid's Permanent URL:
Scope and Contents
Photograph album consisting of twelve leaves kept by an unnamed Indian family. The album is comprised of ninety-nine black-and-white photographs. The photographs document the family at their estate or country home and on vacation in Mumbai (Bombay), India and surrounding areas. The pictures were probably taken between the years 1905 to 1915. The images in the album include family portraits; children; sightseeing of gardens, mountains, temples, cricket games, and markets; and travel by boat, bicycle, and automobile. There are a few photographs of the Jesuits Church in Vasai Fort (Bassein) and Parvati Hill Temple in Pune. Some photographs display members of the family with Englishmen. A few souvenir photographs are near the end of the volume. The oblong volume has stamped, gilt title: Photos I have taken.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Donna Brandolisio
This collection is available for research.
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Custodial History note
Label on inside front cover: Thacker & Co., Bombay.
Source of Acquisition
Sold by Chiswick Auctions (London, England), 2017.
Controlled Access Headings
- Black-and-white photographs
- Manuscripts--India--20th century
- Photograph albums
- India--Description and travel--20th century--Pictorial works
- Mumbai (India)--Description and travel--20th century--Pictorial works
- Pune (India)--Description and travel--20th century--Pictorial works