Search Finding Aids
Ms. Codex 1821
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- Business diaries
- Date [inclusive]:
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1821
- 4 volumes
- Four calendar volumes of "Excelsior diaries" kept by an unknown employee of the Franklin Sugar Refining Company in Philadelphia during the years 1924, 1927, 1928, and 1931.
Cite as:Business diaries, 1924-1931, Ms. Codex 1821, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania
- Finding Aid's Permanent URL:
Scope and Contents
Four volumes "Excelsior diaries" for the years 1924, 1927, 1928 and 1931 kept by an unknown employee of the Franklin Sugar Refining Company in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The company was controlled by the American Sugar Refining Company. The employee was probably an account executive as evidenced by notes regarding contacts with grocery companies and creating reports for the treasurer. The almost daily notations in the calendars concern appointments; employees vacation days and sick time; trips to New York and Baltimore; and the day-to-day operations of the company. There is also information regarding executives and other employees in the company. Leaves have been laid in the volumes.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Donna Brandolisio
This four-volume codex collection is open for research.
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Custodial History note
Labels on inside back cover of Volume 2, 1927 and on title page of Volume 3, 1928: James Hogan Company, Stationers, Philadelphia, Pa.
Source of Acquisition
Sold by Matthew Lorber (Burtonsville, Maryland), 2017 (eBay).
Controlled Access Headings
- Appointment books
- Business records
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuscripts, American--19th century
- Philadelphia (Pa.)--History--Sources
- American Sugar Refining Company--History--Sources
- Franklin Sugar Refining Co.--History--20th century--Sources