Search Finding Aids
British soldier's photograph album
Ms. Codex 1798
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- British soldier's photograph album
- Date [inclusive]:
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1798
- 1 volume
- A album containing a collection of photographs probably kept by a British soldier in Lucknow, India between the years 1912 to 1918.
Cite as:Ms. Codex 1798, British soldier's photograph album, 1912-1918, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania
- Finding Aid's Permanent URL:
Scope and Contents
This oblong spiral bound volume with "Snaps" in gold printed on the front cover comprises a collection of photographs probably kept by a British soldier in Lucknow, India between the years from 1912 to 1918. The album contains 103 snapshots taken chiefly Lucknow, India with some images from Palestine and Egypt. The images depict regiments of soldiers in formation, on foot, and on horseback, military camps, individual soldiers, and cannons. Pictures of landmarks include the Sphinx in Egypt and Jaffa Tower in Palestine. A majority of the scenic images are of sites and monuments in Lucknow including Chota Imambara, Remi Darwaza, the British Residency at Lucknow, and the Cawnpore Memorial Well. There are also images of horses and dogs performing tricks. The volume's green covers are detached.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Donna Brandolisio
This codex is open for research.
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Source of Acquisition
Sold by Walkabout Books (Laguna Hills, California), 2016.
Controlled Access Headings
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuscripts, English--20th century
- Photograph albums
- India--History--British occupation, 1765-1947--Pictorial works
- Lucknow (India)--20th century--Pictorial works
- Soldiers--Great Britain--20th century--Pictorial works