Search Finding Aids
Sketchbook of architecture
Ms. Coll. 1042
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- Sketchbook of architecture
- Date [inclusive]:
- Call Number:
- Ms. Coll. 1042
- 1 volume
- Language Note:
- In French.
- A sketchbook by an unknown artist containing sketches and drawings of buildings, monuments, and architectural elements around Paris and Northern France spanning from 1827 to 1843.
Cite as:Sketchbook of Architecture, 1827-1843, Ms. Coll. 1042, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania
- Finding Aid's Permanent URL:
Scope and Contents
A green oblong volume containing sketches and drawings of buildings, monuments, and architectural elements around Paris and Northern France. This sketchbook by an unknown artist spans the years from 1827 to 1843. Using pencil and chiefly monochromatic watercolor washes, the artist has depicted churches, facades, monuments, and the sculptural and decorative elements of architecture. Some drawings focus on the structural details of buildings or churches including measurements. There are some full-page watercolors illustrating buildings set in their landscapes. Most pages are labeled in pencil with the location and year of the drawing. Some places the artist traveled to were Versailles, Fontainebleau, and Sens.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Donna Brandolisio
This collection is open for research.
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Source of Acquisition
Sold by Bogislav Winner (London, England), 2014
Controlled Access Headings
- Drawings (visual works)
- Manuscripts, French--19th century
- Architecture--France--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc.
- Architecture--France--Pictorial works--19th century