Search Finding Aids
Ruth Marilyn Blitzstein Deglin collection
- University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
- Ruth Marilyn Blitzstein Deglin collection
- Date [inclusive]:
- Call Number:
- MC 211
- 1.42 Linear feet
- Mixed materials: [Box]
- Ruth Marilyn Blitzstein Deglin was a Philadelphia-area nurse during the 20th century. She attended Jewish Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and graduated in 1945. This collection contains Deglin’s artifacts and photographs from her time at Jewish Hospital.
Cite as:Ruth Marilyn Blitzstein Deglin collection, Barbara Bates Center for The Study of The History of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
- Finding Aid's Permanent URL:
Ruth Marilyn Deglin, nee Blitzstein, was born on January 10, 1924 and grew up in South Jersey in the town of Salem. In the early 1940s, she entered nursing school at Jewish Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (presently Albert Einstein Medical Center). During her surgical nurse training, which coincided with World War II, she worked at the Naval Hospital in Jamaica, Long Island, New York. She graduated in 1945. After her marriage in 1948, Deglin continued to nurse at many Philadelphia area hospitals and corporations. She also worked as a private duty nurse. While on-staff at Jeanes Hospital in 1968, Ruth got cancer of the thyroid. After treatment, she recovered and continued to work as a nurse until the mid-1970s, when she returned to college and received a Bachelor of Art degree from Temple University. Due to health issues at that time, she did not return to nursing. Deglin moved to California in 2001, residing near her two oldest children until her passing on February 26, 2008.
Scope and Contents
This collection contains Deglin’s nursing cape, as well as other nursing-related artifacts from her career. It also includes photographs of Deglin and her class at Jewish Hospital during WWII. These items are accompanied by biographical information prepared by Ruth Deglin’s daughter, Dana Deglin.
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Bethany Myers
This collection is unrestricted.
Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Dana Deglin, 2010.
Related Archival Materials note
Controlled Access Headings
- Jewish Hospital (Philadelphia, Pa.). Training School for Nurses.
- Personal papers
- Deglin, Dana
- Deglin, Ruth Marilyn Blitzstein, RN