Search Finding Aids
Cours de matière medicale par monsieur Alphonse Leroy
Ms. Codex 1817
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- Cours de matière medicale par monsieur Alphonse Leroy
- between 1770-1780
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1817
- 1 volume
- Language Note:
- In French.
- Volume containing lecture notes in French by an unknown student probably between the years 1770 to 1780. The lecture course in materia medica was taught by Alphonse Vincent Louis Antoine Leroy.
Cite as:Cours de matière medicale par monsieur Alphonse Leroy, between 1770-1780, Ms. Codex 1817, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania
- Finding Aid's Permanent URL:
Scope and Contents
Leather bound volume containing lecture notes in French by an unknown student probably between the years 1770 to 1780. The lecture course in materia medica was taught by Alphonse Vincent Louis Antoine Leroy, a Parisian professor of medicine and physician of obstetrics and pediatrics. The lecture notes comprise studies of acids, air, astringents, earth, electricity, honey, metals, oil, plants, purgatives, and soaps and their effects on the body. There are discussions regarding the body concerning bile, digestion, formation of the body, sweat, and thirst. The numbered pages and the table of contents at the end of the volume appear to be in a different hand. They were probably written by Doctor Bodson of Liège whose inscription is facing the title page: Bodson docteur n Médecine à Liège 1786. "Cours de matie medicate" is stamped on the spine.
This codex is available for research.
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Custodial History note
Inscription facing first page: Bodson docteur n Médeciene à Liège 1786
Source of Acquisition
Sold by Leo Cadogan Rare Books (London, England), 2017.
Controlled Access Headings
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Lecture notes
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Leroy, Alphonse Vincent Louis Antoine, 1741?-1816
- Materia medica--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--France--Study and teaching--18th century
- Medicine--Study and teaching