University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Date: 1930s
Remove
filtered Language: English
Remove
filtered Date: 1940s
Remove
filtered Subject: Person: Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 5 out of 5  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1915-1949
(Bulk: 1915-1918)
Creator:
Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941
Extent: 7.7 linear foot
Clarence S. Fisher was born in Philadelphia in 1876 and attended the University of Pennsylvania, attaining a degree in architecture in 1897 but devoting his entire life to archaeology. His first archaeology field experience was as the architect for the initial Babylonian expedition to Nippur from 1898 to 1900. This was followed by a research fellowship in Babylonian archaeology at the University Museum. Fisher also worked as an assistant to Harvard Archaeologist, George Andrew Reisner in Egypt and Samaria. From Reisner, Fisher learned archaeological techniques and the methods of meticulous record keeping he would use in his later work. Fisher was appointed a curator of the Egyptian section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum by George B. Gordon in 1914. He spent the next nine years in the field collecting data in Dendereh, Giza, Memphis, and Dra Abu el-Naga. Fisher's expedition to the cemetery at Dendereh re-worked a site that had been explored by Charles S. Rosher and W.M. Flinders Petrie, producing more precise data and a wealth of objects from the burial sites. The Clarence S. Fisher Dendereh expedition records consist of seven archival boxes of correspondence, diaries, notebooks, plans, post-excavation notes and photographs. Additional material includes three card files with tomb notecards and object cards. In addition, there are seven large object register books stored in two boxes and oversize materials stored in the map case.
title
Clarence S. Fisher Dendereh Expedition records
creator
Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941
id
PU-Mu. 1011
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
7.7 linear foot
inclusive date
1915-1949
bulk date
1915-1918
abstract/scope/contents
Clarence S. Fisher was born in Philadelphia in 1876 and attended the University of Pennsylvania, attaining a degree in architecture in 1897 but devoting his entire life to archaeology. His first archaeology field experience was as the architect for the initial Babylonian expedition to Nippur from 1898 to 1900. This was followed by a research fellowship in Babylonian archaeology at the University Museum. Fisher also worked as an assistant to Harvard Archaeologist, George Andrew Reisner in Egypt and Samaria. From Reisner, Fisher learned archaeological techniques and the methods of meticulous record keeping he would use in his later work. Fisher was appointed a curator of the Egyptian section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum by George B. Gordon in 1914. He spent the next nine years in the field collecting data in Dendereh, Giza, Memphis, and Dra Abu el-Naga. Fisher's expedition to the cemetery at Dendereh re-worked a site that had been explored by Charles S. Rosher and W.M. Flinders Petrie, producing more precise data and a wealth of objects from the burial sites. The Clarence S. Fisher Dendereh expedition records consist of seven archival boxes of correspondence, diaries, notebooks, plans, post-excavation notes and photographs. Additional material includes three card files with tomb notecards and object cards. In addition, there are seven large object register books stored in two boxes and oversize materials stored in the map case.
date_facet
1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s
bulk_date_facet
1910s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Coxe, Eckley B., 1839-1895 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Flinders Petrie, William M. Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Reisner, George Andrew, 1867-1942
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Field notes Maps Site plans
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1915-1969
(Bulk: 1915-1923)
Creator:
Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941
Extent: 7 linear foot
Clarence S. Fisher was born in Philadelphia in 1876 and attended the University of Pennsylvania, attaining a degree in architecture in 1897 but devoting his entire life to archaeology. His first archaeology field experience was as the architect for the initial Babylonian expedition to Nippur from 1898 to 1900. This was followed by a research fellowship in Babylonian archaeology at the University Museum. Fisher also gained experience as an assistant to Harvard Archaeologist, George Andrew Reisner in Egypt and Samaria. From Reisner, Fisher learned archaeological techniques and the methods of meticulous record keeping he would use in his later work. Fisher was appointed a curator of the Egyptian section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum by George B. Gordon in 1914. He spent the next nine years in the field collecting data in Dendereh, Giza, Memphis, and Dra Abu el-Naga. The Clarence S. Fisher Memphis excavation records consist of six archival boxes of correspondence, notes, field cards, diaries, catalogues and photographs. In addition there is a card file with object notes. Oversize drawings, maps, plans, watercolors and financial records complete the collection.
title
Clarence S. Fisher Memphis Expedition records
creator
Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941
id
PU-Mu. 1010
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
7 linear foot
inclusive date
1915-1969
bulk date
1915-1923
abstract/scope/contents
Clarence S. Fisher was born in Philadelphia in 1876 and attended the University of Pennsylvania, attaining a degree in architecture in 1897 but devoting his entire life to archaeology. His first archaeology field experience was as the architect for the initial Babylonian expedition to Nippur from 1898 to 1900. This was followed by a research fellowship in Babylonian archaeology at the University Museum. Fisher also gained experience as an assistant to Harvard Archaeologist, George Andrew Reisner in Egypt and Samaria. From Reisner, Fisher learned archaeological techniques and the methods of meticulous record keeping he would use in his later work. Fisher was appointed a curator of the Egyptian section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum by George B. Gordon in 1914. He spent the next nine years in the field collecting data in Dendereh, Giza, Memphis, and Dra Abu el-Naga. The Clarence S. Fisher Memphis excavation records consist of six archival boxes of correspondence, notes, field cards, diaries, catalogues and photographs. In addition there is a card file with object notes. Oversize drawings, maps, plans, watercolors and financial records complete the collection.
date_facet
1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
1910s 1920s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Coxe, Eckley B., 1839-1895 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1928-1964
(Bulk: 1928-1933)
Creator:
Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942
Extent: 5.2 linear feet ( )
Located approximately 12 miles west of Jerusalem, this site was originally excavated in 1911 and 1912 by Duncan Mackenzie for the Palestine Exploration Fund. Under the sponsorship of Haverford College, Haverford professor Elihu Grant undertook excavation at this mound from 1928 to 1931 and again in 1933. When the Bet Shemesh (Ain Shems) artifacts, known as the Haverford Collection, were purchased by the University Museum in 1962, the field notes, notes on pottery, plans, drawings, photographs, and correspondence relating to these finds were also acquired.
title
Elihu Grant Beth-Shemesh excavation records
creator
Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942
id
PU-Mu. 1032
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
5.2 linear feet ( )
inclusive date
1928-1964
bulk date
1928-1933
abstract/scope/contents
Located approximately 12 miles west of Jerusalem, this site was originally excavated in 1911 and 1912 by Duncan Mackenzie for the Palestine Exploration Fund. Under the sponsorship of Haverford College, Haverford professor Elihu Grant undertook excavation at this mound from 1928 to 1931 and again in 1933. When the Bet Shemesh (Ain Shems) artifacts, known as the Haverford Collection, were purchased by the University Museum in 1962, the field notes, notes on pottery, plans, drawings, photographs, and correspondence relating to these finds were also acquired.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
1920s 1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942 Haverford College. Rowe, Alan, 1892-1968
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence Field notes
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1879-1955
Creator:
Baker, Mary Louise, b. 1872-d. 1962
Extent: 5 linear feet
During her employment as museum artist at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology from 1908-1936, M. (Mary) Louise Baker established an international reputation as the preeminent archaeological artist of her time with unmatched technical skill in scientific illustration. Her work at the University Museum included paintings of Maya pottery for limited edition folio volumes; paintings and reconstructions of Ur of the Chaldees’ royal tombs findings for Sir C. Leonard Woolley and of the Palace of Merenptah at Memphis, and a reconstructed drawing of the Piedras Negras Lintel 3. She spent much of her career dividing her time between the positions of museum artist and as art teacher at the George School in Bucks County, PA. A life-long Quaker, M. Louise Baker was born in Alliance, Ohio, on August 4, 1872. At the age of 19, she came to Pennsylvania to complete her education. By 1900, she had decided to concentrate on art and enrolled at the Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art. Early in her career, Baker was a free-lance artist for commercial illustrations and children’s magazines. She also did scientific drawings for archaeologist Clarence B. Moore at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia. In 1908, she was hired by Dr. George Byron Gordon at the University of Pennsylvania Museum. During her career as an archaeological artist, Baker traveled to parts of the world where women never ventured unattended. The M. Louise Baker collection spans the years from 1889 to 1962 and contains her unpublished autobiography; 54 detailed diaries from 1889 to 1960; sketches, commercial art, illustrated stories and poems for children’s publications from her early career; scrapbooks which she compiled; drawings and paintings. A large portion of the collection, including Baker’s unpublished memoir, family photographs, scrapbooks, and diaries, was donated to the Penn Museum Archives in 2011 by Baker family members after a connection with Museum Research Associate Dr. Elin Danien. It is housed in ten archival boxes, plus additional drawings and paintings housed in the Oversize Plans and Drawings Collection and other examples of Baker’s work relating to Ur and Egypt on display in Museum exhibit galleries. The Penn Museum owns over 500 works by Baker, including all her work for the Maya Pottery publications, much of it unpublished.
title
M. Louise Baker papers
creator
Baker, Mary Louise, b. 1872-d. 1962
id
PU-Mu. 1107
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
5 linear feet
inclusive date
1879-1955
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
During her employment as museum artist at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology from 1908-1936, M. (Mary) Louise Baker established an international reputation as the preeminent archaeological artist of her time with unmatched technical skill in scientific illustration. Her work at the University Museum included paintings of Maya pottery for limited edition folio volumes; paintings and reconstructions of Ur of the Chaldees’ royal tombs findings for Sir C. Leonard Woolley and of the Palace of Merenptah at Memphis, and a reconstructed drawing of the Piedras Negras Lintel 3. She spent much of her career dividing her time between the positions of museum artist and as art teacher at the George School in Bucks County, PA. A life-long Quaker, M. Louise Baker was born in Alliance, Ohio, on August 4, 1872. At the age of 19, she came to Pennsylvania to complete her education. By 1900, she had decided to concentrate on art and enrolled at the Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art. Early in her career, Baker was a free-lance artist for commercial illustrations and children’s magazines. She also did scientific drawings for archaeologist Clarence B. Moore at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia. In 1908, she was hired by Dr. George Byron Gordon at the University of Pennsylvania Museum. During her career as an archaeological artist, Baker traveled to parts of the world where women never ventured unattended. The M. Louise Baker collection spans the years from 1889 to 1962 and contains her unpublished autobiography; 54 detailed diaries from 1889 to 1960; sketches, commercial art, illustrated stories and poems for children’s publications from her early career; scrapbooks which she compiled; drawings and paintings. A large portion of the collection, including Baker’s unpublished memoir, family photographs, scrapbooks, and diaries, was donated to the Penn Museum Archives in 2011 by Baker family members after a connection with Museum Research Associate Dr. Elin Danien. It is housed in ten archival boxes, plus additional drawings and paintings housed in the Oversize Plans and Drawings Collection and other examples of Baker’s work relating to Ur and Egypt on display in Museum exhibit galleries. The Penn Museum owns over 500 works by Baker, including all her work for the Maya Pottery publications, much of it unpublished.
date_facet
1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Baker, Mary Louise, b. 1872-d. 1962 Allen, E. Constance Baker, Mary Louise, b. 1872-d. 1962 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Wooley, C. Leonard, Sir, b. 1880-d.1960
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Diaries Drawings (visual works)
University Archives and Records Center [Contact Us]
1854-1943
(Bulk: 1891-1927)
Creator:
University of Pennsylvania. Office of the Provost.,
Extent: 5.5 cubic feet
Charles Custis Harrison was Provost at the University of Pennsylvania 1894-1910, a time of expansive growth for the University, especially in the number of buildings added to the campus. Using his extensive personal contacts from his business and political associates, Harrison raised funds (making large contributions himself) for dormitories as well as Houston Hall, the University Museum, the Medical Laboratory, the Law, Engineering, and Dental School buildings from the wealthy of Philadelphia society. The Charles Custis Harrison Files of the Office of the Provost Records document his activities as Provost of the University of Pennsylvania and as Vice President and President of the Board of Directors of the University Museum. This collection though part of the Office of the Provost Records, includes material from almost all aspects of Harrison's career with the University of Pennsylvania.
title
Office of the Provost Records. Charles C. Harrison Administration
creator
University of Pennsylvania. Office of the Provost.,
id
PU-Ar.UPA 6.2H
repository
University of Pennsylvania University Archives and Records Center
extent
5.5 cubic feet
inclusive date
1854-1943
bulk date
1891-1927
abstract/scope/contents
Charles Custis Harrison was Provost at the University of Pennsylvania 1894-1910, a time of expansive growth for the University, especially in the number of buildings added to the campus. Using his extensive personal contacts from his business and political associates, Harrison raised funds (making large contributions himself) for dormitories as well as Houston Hall, the University Museum, the Medical Laboratory, the Law, Engineering, and Dental School buildings from the wealthy of Philadelphia society. The Charles Custis Harrison Files of the Office of the Provost Records document his activities as Provost of the University of Pennsylvania and as Vice President and President of the Board of Directors of the University Museum. This collection though part of the Office of the Provost Records, includes material from almost all aspects of Harrison's career with the University of Pennsylvania.
date_facet
1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s
language_facet
English
name_facet
University of Pennsylvania. Office of the Provost. Clark, Clarence H., (Clarence Howard), 1833-1906 Clark, Edward W., 1828-1904 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Frazier, Charles H., (Charles Harrison), 1870-1936 Gordon, G. B., (George Byron), 1870-1927 Harrison, Charles Custis, 1844-1929 Harrison, Ellen N., (Ellen Nixon), 1846-1922 Haynes, John Henry, 1849-1910 Hilprecht, H. V., (Hermann Vollrat), 1859-1925 Hovenden, Thomas, 1840-1895 Jastrow, Morris, 1861-1921 Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949 Merrick, J. Hartley, (James Hartley), 1869-1946 Miller, William Otto, 1877-1931 Mumford, Edward W., (Edward Warloch), 1868-1941 National Society of the Colonial Dames of America. Penniman, Josiah Harmar, 1868-1941 Peters, John P., (John Punnett), 1851-1921 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Administration.; University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Buildings.; University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Curricula.; University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Faculty.; University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Finance.; University of Pennsylvania. University Museum. Washington Memorial Chapel (Valley Forge, Pa.).
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »