University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Date: 1930s
Remove
filtered Subject: Person: Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929
Remove
filtered Date: 1890s
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 2 out of 2  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1826-1995
(Bulk: 1898-1960)
Extent: 16 linear feet
The American Section was one of the first to evolve during the early development of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. The University Archaeological Association established in 1887 and later, the American Exploration Society, established in 1892, exhibited several small collections in College Hall before the building campaign for the museum began. Charles Abbott was the first curator of the section succeeded by Henry C. Mercer and then Stewart Culin who was also named Director in 1899. Each succeeding curator was responsible for adding collections, many of them representing their own expeditions in the United States, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and South America. Records in the files are dated from 1826 through the 1980s. The transfer of materials to the Archives took place piecemeal and without a central organization. The current re-processing placed the files into three series, Deaccessions and Loans, Collectors and Collections and Exhibits.
title
American Section
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0044
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1826-1995
bulk date
1898-1960
abstract/scope/contents
The American Section was one of the first to evolve during the early development of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. The University Archaeological Association established in 1887 and later, the American Exploration Society, established in 1892, exhibited several small collections in College Hall before the building campaign for the museum began. Charles Abbott was the first curator of the section succeeded by Henry C. Mercer and then Stewart Culin who was also named Director in 1899. Each succeeding curator was responsible for adding collections, many of them representing their own expeditions in the United States, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and South America. Records in the files are dated from 1826 through the 1980s. The transfer of materials to the Archives took place piecemeal and without a central organization. The current re-processing placed the files into three series, Deaccessions and Loans, Collectors and Collections and Exhibits.
date_facet
1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Abbott, Charles C., 1843-1919 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Bruckner, Geraldine M., b. 1901-d. 1982 Coe, William R. , 1926-2009 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Dyson, Robert H., 1927- Eyman, Frances, 1921-1949 Farabee, William Curtis, b. 1865-d. 1925 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Kidder, Alfred Vincent, 1885-1963 King, Mary Elizabeth, b. 1929 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Mercer, Henry C., 1856-1930 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Possehl, , Gregory L., Dr., b. 1941 Rainey, Froelich, Director of the University Museum Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978 Shotridge, Louis Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1893-1984
Extent: 2.8 linear foot
The Museum collections, initially displayed in the University Library in the Furness Building, were transferred to the new building in 1898. In the years that followed, the collections and the space available continued to grow and the Museum prepared both permanent and loan exhibits. The earliest Museum exhibits can be found in the records of the individual sections. An exhibit staff member was appointed in 1940; the staff remaining relatively small. Although exhibit catalogs date from 1892, few files were kept, and the photographic collections are often helpful in documenting past exhibitions. The files are arranged chronologically. Exhibit catalogs are filed separately (see Special Collections— Publications).
title
Exhibits Department records
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0006
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.8 linear foot
inclusive date
1893-1984
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Museum collections, initially displayed in the University Library in the Furness Building, were transferred to the new building in 1898. In the years that followed, the collections and the space available continued to grow and the Museum prepared both permanent and loan exhibits. The earliest Museum exhibits can be found in the records of the individual sections. An exhibit staff member was appointed in 1940; the staff remaining relatively small. Although exhibit catalogs date from 1892, few files were kept, and the photographic collections are often helpful in documenting past exhibitions. The files are arranged chronologically. Exhibit catalogs are filed separately (see Special Collections— Publications).
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Addams, Charles, 1912-1988 Crownover, David Crumbo, Woodrow Wilson (Woody), 1912-1989 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Davis, Griffin J. (Griff), 1923-1993 Evans, Merlyn, 1910-1973 Wenner-Gren Foundation.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet