University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Date: 1950s
Remove
filtered Date: 1930s
Remove
filtered Repository: University of Pennsylvania
Remove
filtered Date: 1920s
Remove
filtered Form/Genre: Field notes
Remove
filtered Bulk date: 1930s
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 3 out of 3  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1928-1964
(Bulk: 1928-1933)
Creator:
Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942
Extent: 5.2 linear feet ( )
Located approximately 12 miles west of Jerusalem, this site was originally excavated in 1911 and 1912 by Duncan Mackenzie for the Palestine Exploration Fund. Under the sponsorship of Haverford College, Haverford professor Elihu Grant undertook excavation at this mound from 1928 to 1931 and again in 1933. When the Bet Shemesh (Ain Shems) artifacts, known as the Haverford Collection, were purchased by the University Museum in 1962, the field notes, notes on pottery, plans, drawings, photographs, and correspondence relating to these finds were also acquired.
title
Elihu Grant Beth-Shemesh excavation records
creator
Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942
id
PU-Mu. 1032
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
5.2 linear feet ( )
inclusive date
1928-1964
bulk date
1928-1933
abstract/scope/contents
Located approximately 12 miles west of Jerusalem, this site was originally excavated in 1911 and 1912 by Duncan Mackenzie for the Palestine Exploration Fund. Under the sponsorship of Haverford College, Haverford professor Elihu Grant undertook excavation at this mound from 1928 to 1931 and again in 1933. When the Bet Shemesh (Ain Shems) artifacts, known as the Haverford Collection, were purchased by the University Museum in 1962, the field notes, notes on pottery, plans, drawings, photographs, and correspondence relating to these finds were also acquired.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
1920s 1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942 Haverford College. Rowe, Alan, 1892-1968
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence Field notes
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1929-1970
(Bulk: 1939-1942)
Creator:
Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967
Extent: 1.5 linear feet
At the turn of the century, the Río Grande de Coclé changed course, revealing the site of a pre-Columbian cemetery when pottery and gold ornaments were washed out of the river banks. In 1940 the University of Pennsylvania Museum began to excavate Sitio Conte, which belonged to a private landowner, located in the province of Coclé. A very small portion of the pre-Columbian cemetery, estimated to cover four or five acres in its entirety, was selected for excavation. The expedition yielded 6,600 pounds of pottery and stone. The textual records consist of 1.5 linear feet of field notes, diaries, and object cards; correspondence; administrative records concerning contracts, expenses, transportation, and equipment; and unpublished and published reports and articles concerning findings. The arrangement of the records became apparent after some research, for the original order had been lost. Most of the original folder titles, however, have been maintained.
title
Sitio Conte, Panama expedition records
creator
Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967
id
PU-Mu. 1108
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1929-1970
bulk date
1939-1942
abstract/scope/contents
At the turn of the century, the Río Grande de Coclé changed course, revealing the site of a pre-Columbian cemetery when pottery and gold ornaments were washed out of the river banks. In 1940 the University of Pennsylvania Museum began to excavate Sitio Conte, which belonged to a private landowner, located in the province of Coclé. A very small portion of the pre-Columbian cemetery, estimated to cover four or five acres in its entirety, was selected for excavation. The expedition yielded 6,600 pounds of pottery and stone. The textual records consist of 1.5 linear feet of field notes, diaries, and object cards; correspondence; administrative records concerning contracts, expenses, transportation, and equipment; and unpublished and published reports and articles concerning findings. The arrangement of the records became apparent after some research, for the original order had been lost. Most of the original folder titles, however, have been maintained.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
1930s 1940s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Kidder, Alfred Vincent, 1885-1963 Madeira, Percy C., Jr., 1889-1967 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology. Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Field notes Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1928-1971
(Bulk: 1931-1935)
Creator:
Petrullo, Vincenzo, 1906-1991
Extent: 1.8 linear feet
Vincenzo M. Petrullo was born in Italy in 1906, entered the United States in 1913, and eventually became a citizen in 1930. Petrullo represented the Penn Museum as the anthropologist for the Matto Grosso Expedition from late 1930 until 1931. Petrullo did archaeological excavations at the expedition headquarters at Descalvados, while waiting five months for governmental permission to conduct research in the Brazilian interior. In 1933 Petrullo returned to South America, his purpose to establish a Latin American Research Institute in Venezuela, with support from that government and the University of Pennsylvania Museum. Petrullo visited South America once again in 1935 in a joint Columbia University-University of Pennsylvania Museum expedition.
title
Vincenzo Petrullo expedition records
creator
Petrullo, Vincenzo, 1906-1991
id
PU-Mu. 1126
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.8 linear feet
inclusive date
1928-1971
bulk date
1931-1935
abstract/scope/contents
Vincenzo M. Petrullo was born in Italy in 1906, entered the United States in 1913, and eventually became a citizen in 1930. Petrullo represented the Penn Museum as the anthropologist for the Matto Grosso Expedition from late 1930 until 1931. Petrullo did archaeological excavations at the expedition headquarters at Descalvados, while waiting five months for governmental permission to conduct research in the Brazilian interior. In 1933 Petrullo returned to South America, his purpose to establish a Latin American Research Institute in Venezuela, with support from that government and the University of Pennsylvania Museum. Petrullo visited South America once again in 1935 in a joint Columbia University-University of Pennsylvania Museum expedition.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Petrullo, Vincenzo, 1906-1991 Petrullo, Vincenzo, 1906-1991
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Field notes Manuscripts for publication