Search Finding Aids
Finding Aids by Repository
Currently Used Filters
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
Sub-repository filters: 2 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
Form/Genre filters: 1 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Biddle Law Library: Manuscripts Collection [Contact Us]
Levin, A. Leo, 1919-
Extent: 30 linear feet
A. Leo Levin, born in 1919 received his B.A. from Yeshiva University in 1939. He attended the University of Pennsylvania Law School and received his J.D. in 1942. Levin then took his first teaching job at the University of Iowa where he taught for two years before returning to his alma mater Penn Law School. Levin taught at Penn Law until his appointment as Director of the Federal Judicial Center in 1977. Levin participated in numerous legal professional organizations such as the American Bar Association, the Association of American Law Schools and the Order of the Coif. Levin also served on a number of high profile judiciary committees such as the Legislative Reapportionment Committee from 1971-1973, the Commission on Revision of the Federal Court Appellate System from 1973-1975, and the Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group. Levin produced or contributed to a number of publications related to the law including Dispatch and Delay: A Field Study of Judicial Administration in Pennsylvania with Edward A. Woolley and Cases and Materials on Civil Procedure with James H. Chadbourn. Levin's interests were not limited solely to the law as evidenced by his active role in the Jewish Community serving on numerous boards of Jewish centric organizations such as the Jewish Exponent, a weekly newspaper published in Philadelphia, the Jewish Federation of Jewish Agencies and the Jewish Publication Society.
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
American Law Institute
Extent: 2.25 linear feet
In the course of establishing what would become the First Restatement of the Law, the American Law Institute (ALI) considered including a clarification of the Law of Evidence. However, due to perceived deficiencies in the law, the American Law Institute resolved to begin a project that would provide a thorough reworking of the existing law of evidence. In 1939, the ALI secured funding to develop such a project. Edmund M. Morgan served as Reporter, and John H. Wigmore served as Chief Consultant. The resulting body of law was the Model Code of Evidence, adopted by the ALI in May 1942. The collection, 1939-1954, includes correspondence, meeting minutes, drafts, memoranda, commentary, outside publications, and related material concerning the drafting and adoption of the Model Code of Evidence, an effort to standardize common-law evidence rules.