University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Date: 1970s
Remove
filtered Language: English
Remove
filtered Date: 1940s
Remove
filtered Sort: Date added (ascending)
Sort Results By:
hide/display content

Possible Sorts:

Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • NextLast »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 25 out of 238  
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2010-02-04
1923-1995
Creator:
American Law Institute., Creator
Extent: 12.5 cubic feet (about 2200 items)
The American Law Institute (ALI) was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American law. Former Penn Law Dean William Draper Lewis was the Institute's first director, running the organization's operations out of his campus office. The ALI was conceived as a representative gathering of the American Bar (including Judges, Lawyers, and Law Professors) for the stated mission "to promote the clarification and simplification of the law and its better adaptation to social needs, to secure the better administration of justice and to encourage and carry on scholarly and scientific legal work." To that end, the ALI has held annual meetings since its inception to adopt its restatements and other codification projects, discuss drafts, analyze pending legislation and aspects of the law, set policy, and initialize new projects. The collection, 1923-1995, includes correspondence, addresses and remarks, reports on codification projects and other ALI-related activity, annual meeting programs, yearbooks, proceedings, and related records regarding activity at the ALI's annual meetings.
title
Annual Meeting Records
creator
American Law Institute., Creator
id
PU-L.ALI.10
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
12.5 cubic feet (about 2200 items)
inclusive date
1923-1995
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The American Law Institute (ALI) was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American law. Former Penn Law Dean William Draper Lewis was the Institute's first director, running the organization's operations out of his campus office. The ALI was conceived as a representative gathering of the American Bar (including Judges, Lawyers, and Law Professors) for the stated mission "to promote the clarification and simplification of the law and its better adaptation to social needs, to secure the better administration of justice and to encourage and carry on scholarly and scientific legal work." To that end, the ALI has held annual meetings since its inception to adopt its restatements and other codification projects, discuss drafts, analyze pending legislation and aspects of the law, set policy, and initialize new projects. The collection, 1923-1995, includes correspondence, addresses and remarks, reports on codification projects and other ALI-related activity, annual meeting programs, yearbooks, proceedings, and related records regarding activity at the ALI's annual meetings.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies [Contact Us]
Date added: 2010-03-25
1905-1986
Creator:
Schulman, Elias, Author
Extent: 15.5 linear feet
title
Elias Schulman MS Collection
creator
Schulman, Elias, Author
id
CJS.ARC MS15
repository
University of Pennsylvania Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies
extent
15.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1905-1986
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Schulman, Elias
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1924-2005
Extent: 1 cubic foot
title
Publications
creator
id
PU-L.ALI.06
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
1 cubic foot
inclusive date
1924-2005
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1935-2003
Creator:
American Law Institute
National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws
Extent: 53.5 linear feet
The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) was the result of a joint project between the American Law Institute (ALI) and the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Law (NCCUSL). Work on the UCC began in 1945 in response to a perceived need by members of both ALI and NCCUSL to consolidate a number of uniform laws, previously enacted by NCCUSL, related to commercial transactions. NCCUSL was established in 1891 for the purpose of codifying state law by creating uniform laws and model acts. ALI was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American Law. The Institute had previously developed a codification of particular areas of the law, known as the Restatement of the Law. Thus, cooperation between ALI and NCCUSL on the UCC presented a likely partnership. The first version of the UCC was approved in 1951. Over the next few years, the states responded to, analyzed, and amended the UCC. In 1961, the Permanent Editorial Board was established to review and help revise the UCC on a continual basis in accordance with the evolving culture of commercial transactions. As a result, the revision of the Uniform Commercial is an ongoing cooperative project between ALI and NCCUSL. The collection, 1935-2003, include historical records, drafts, comments, correspondence, and other materials related to the creation of the Uniform Commercial Code, which consolidated and codified previous uniform laws related to commercial transaction.
title
Uniform Commercial Code Records
creator
American Law Institute National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws
id
PU-L.ALI.04.004
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
53.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1935-2003
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) was the result of a joint project between the American Law Institute (ALI) and the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Law (NCCUSL). Work on the UCC began in 1945 in response to a perceived need by members of both ALI and NCCUSL to consolidate a number of uniform laws, previously enacted by NCCUSL, related to commercial transactions. NCCUSL was established in 1891 for the purpose of codifying state law by creating uniform laws and model acts. ALI was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American Law. The Institute had previously developed a codification of particular areas of the law, known as the Restatement of the Law. Thus, cooperation between ALI and NCCUSL on the UCC presented a likely partnership. The first version of the UCC was approved in 1951. Over the next few years, the states responded to, analyzed, and amended the UCC. In 1961, the Permanent Editorial Board was established to review and help revise the UCC on a continual basis in accordance with the evolving culture of commercial transactions. As a result, the revision of the Uniform Commercial is an ongoing cooperative project between ALI and NCCUSL. The collection, 1935-2003, include historical records, drafts, comments, correspondence, and other materials related to the creation of the Uniform Commercial Code, which consolidated and codified previous uniform laws related to commercial transaction.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949 Permanent Editorial Board for the Uniform Commercial Code Schnader, William A. (William Abraham), 1886-1968
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1924-2003
Creator:
American Law Institute, Creator
Extent: 21 linear feet
The American Law Institute (ALI) was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American law. Former Penn Law Dean William Draper Lewis was the Institute's first director, running the organization's operations out of his campus office. The ALI was conceived as a representative gathering of the American Bar (including Judges, Lawyers, and Law Professors) for the stated mission "to promote the clarification and simplification of the law and its better adaptation to social needs, to secure the better administration of justice and to encourage and carry on scholarly and scientific legal work." The collection, 1924-2003, includes minutes, correspondence, reports, and related records regarding the activity of the American Law Institute Council.
title
Council Records
creator
American Law Institute, Creator
id
PU-L.ALI.01
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
21 linear feet
inclusive date
1924-2003
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The American Law Institute (ALI) was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American law. Former Penn Law Dean William Draper Lewis was the Institute's first director, running the organization's operations out of his campus office. The ALI was conceived as a representative gathering of the American Bar (including Judges, Lawyers, and Law Professors) for the stated mission "to promote the clarification and simplification of the law and its better adaptation to social needs, to secure the better administration of justice and to encourage and carry on scholarly and scientific legal work." The collection, 1924-2003, includes minutes, correspondence, reports, and related records regarding the activity of the American Law Institute Council.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1937-1976
Creator:
American Law Institute
Extent: 2 linear feet (18 items)
In 1934, the American Law Institute (ALI) started publishing volumes entitled The Restatement in the Courts, a supplemental tool that provided references to court decisions that had cited the ALI's Restatements of the Law. The collection, 1937-1976, includes editions of The Restatement in the Courts and undated indices.
title
Restatement in the Courts Volumes
creator
American Law Institute
id
PU-L.ALI.04.019
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
2 linear feet (18 items)
inclusive date
1937-1976
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
In 1934, the American Law Institute (ALI) started publishing volumes entitled The Restatement in the Courts, a supplemental tool that provided references to court decisions that had cited the ALI's Restatements of the Law. The collection, 1937-1976, includes editions of The Restatement in the Courts and undated indices.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1923-2005
Creator:
American Law Institute, Creator
Extent: 18 linear feet
The American Law Institute (ALI) was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American law. Former Penn Law Dean William Draper Lewis was the Institute's first director, running the organization's operations out of his campus office. The ALI was conceived as a representative gathering of the American Bar (including Judges, Lawyers, and Law Professors) for the stated mission "to promote the clarification and simplification of the law and its better adaptation to social needs, to secure the better administration of justice and to encourage and carry on scholarly and scientific legal work." To that end, the ALI has held annual meetings since its inception to adopt its restatements and other codification projects, discuss drafts, analyze pending legislation and aspects of the law, set policy, and initialize new projects. The collection, 1923-1995, includes correspondence, addresses and remarks, reports on codification projects and other ALI-related activity, annual meeting programs, yearbooks, proceedings, and related records regarding activity at the ALI's annual meetings.
title
Annual Meeting Records
creator
American Law Institute, Creator
id
PU-L.ALI.09
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
18 linear feet
inclusive date
1923-2005
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The American Law Institute (ALI) was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American law. Former Penn Law Dean William Draper Lewis was the Institute's first director, running the organization's operations out of his campus office. The ALI was conceived as a representative gathering of the American Bar (including Judges, Lawyers, and Law Professors) for the stated mission "to promote the clarification and simplification of the law and its better adaptation to social needs, to secure the better administration of justice and to encourage and carry on scholarly and scientific legal work." To that end, the ALI has held annual meetings since its inception to adopt its restatements and other codification projects, discuss drafts, analyze pending legislation and aspects of the law, set policy, and initialize new projects. The collection, 1923-1995, includes correspondence, addresses and remarks, reports on codification projects and other ALI-related activity, annual meeting programs, yearbooks, proceedings, and related records regarding activity at the ALI's annual meetings.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1946-1981
(Bulk: 1949-1969)
Creator:
American Law Institute
Extent: 17 linear feet
The Federal Income, State, and Gift Tax Project consisted of a series of non-binding recommendations to students, teachers, litigators, and legislators as they dealt with the evolving tax code. The collection, 1946-1981 (bulk: 1949-1969), includes correspondence, meeting minutes, drafts, memoranda, commentary, outside publications, and related records concerning various tax-related projects conducted by the ALI from the mid-1940s to 1969.
title
Federal Income, Estate, and Gift Tax Project Records
creator
American Law Institute
id
PU-L.ALI.04.011
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
17 linear feet
inclusive date
1946-1981
bulk date
1949-1969
abstract/scope/contents
The Federal Income, State, and Gift Tax Project consisted of a series of non-binding recommendations to students, teachers, litigators, and legislators as they dealt with the evolving tax code. The collection, 1946-1981 (bulk: 1949-1969), includes correspondence, meeting minutes, drafts, memoranda, commentary, outside publications, and related records concerning various tax-related projects conducted by the ALI from the mid-1940s to 1969.
date_facet
1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s
bulk_date_facet
1940s 1950s 1960s
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1923-1999
Creator:
American Law Institute
Extent: 55.25 linear feet
The Executive Office of the American Law Institute (ALI) performs the organization's major administrative functions, including fundraising, negotiating publication of ALI materials, and coordinating ALI projects. With most of the Reporters located at institutions all over the world, the office also serves as the central depository for the collection of records related to ALI projects. The collection, 1923-1999, primarily includes letters written by and received from staff in the ALI's Executive Office, including the Director and Deputy Director. For more detailed information about the scope and content of this collection, please consult the individual series.
title
Executive Office
creator
American Law Institute
id
PU-L.ALI.02
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
55.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1923-1999
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Executive Office of the American Law Institute (ALI) performs the organization's major administrative functions, including fundraising, negotiating publication of ALI materials, and coordinating ALI projects. With most of the Reporters located at institutions all over the world, the office also serves as the central depository for the collection of records related to ALI projects. The collection, 1923-1999, primarily includes letters written by and received from staff in the ALI's Executive Office, including the Director and Deputy Director. For more detailed information about the scope and content of this collection, please consult the individual series.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute Goodrich, Herbert F. (Herbert Funk), 1889-1962 Hazard, Geoffrey C. Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949 Wechsler, Herbert, 1909-2000
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1947-1990
Creator:
American Law Institute
Extent: 30 linear feet
The American Law Institute (ALI) was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American law. Former Penn Law Dean William Draper Lewis was the Institute's first director, running the organization's operations out of his campus office. The ALI was conceived as a representative gathering of the American Bar (including Judges, Lawyers, and Law Professors) for the stated mission "to promote the clarification and simplification of the law and its better adaptation to social needs, to secure the better administration of justice and to encourage and carry on scholarly and scientific legal work." The Second Restatement of the Law was an update to the American Law Institute's initial project, the First Restatement of the Law. The project secured initial funding through a Mellon grant in 1952 and was completed in 1988. The Second Restatement of the Law attempted to refine the clarification of nine broad subject areas of law: Agency, Conflict of Laws, Contracts, Foreign Relations Law, Judgments, Property, Restitution, Torts, and Trusts. The ALI added two principal areas to the Second Restatement projects: Foreign Relations Law, and Landlord and Tenant Relations. The collection, 1947-1990 and undated, includes drafts, comments, correspondence, meeting minutes, state annotations, and other materials related to the Second Restatement of the Law, which sought to improve upon the codification project first established in the First Restatement of the Law. Nine broad subject areas include: Agency, Conflict of Laws, Contracts, Foreign Relations Law, Judgments, Property, Restitution, Torts, and Trusts. Official Institute drafts make up the bulk of the collection. State annotations constitute the second largest portion, while the remainder of the collection consists of correspondence to and from reporters about the restatements, comments from ALI members and outside experts, and related material.
title
Second Restatement of the Law Records
creator
American Law Institute
id
PU-L.ALI.04.002
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
30 linear feet
inclusive date
1947-1990
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The American Law Institute (ALI) was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American law. Former Penn Law Dean William Draper Lewis was the Institute's first director, running the organization's operations out of his campus office. The ALI was conceived as a representative gathering of the American Bar (including Judges, Lawyers, and Law Professors) for the stated mission "to promote the clarification and simplification of the law and its better adaptation to social needs, to secure the better administration of justice and to encourage and carry on scholarly and scientific legal work." The Second Restatement of the Law was an update to the American Law Institute's initial project, the First Restatement of the Law. The project secured initial funding through a Mellon grant in 1952 and was completed in 1988. The Second Restatement of the Law attempted to refine the clarification of nine broad subject areas of law: Agency, Conflict of Laws, Contracts, Foreign Relations Law, Judgments, Property, Restitution, Torts, and Trusts. The ALI added two principal areas to the Second Restatement projects: Foreign Relations Law, and Landlord and Tenant Relations. The collection, 1947-1990 and undated, includes drafts, comments, correspondence, meeting minutes, state annotations, and other materials related to the Second Restatement of the Law, which sought to improve upon the codification project first established in the First Restatement of the Law. Nine broad subject areas include: Agency, Conflict of Laws, Contracts, Foreign Relations Law, Judgments, Property, Restitution, Torts, and Trusts. Official Institute drafts make up the bulk of the collection. State annotations constitute the second largest portion, while the remainder of the collection consists of correspondence to and from reporters about the restatements, comments from ALI members and outside experts, and related material.
date_facet
1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1946-2008
title
ALI-ABA Committee on Continuing Legal Education
creator
id
PU-L.ALI.05
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
1 cubic feet
inclusive date
1946-2008
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
d
date_facet
1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1922-2004
Creator:
American Law Institute
Extent: 15 cubic feet
The American Law Institute (ALI) was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American law. Former Penn Law Dean William Draper Lewis was the Institute's first director, running the organization's operations out of his campus office. The ALI was conceived as a representative gathering of the American Bar (including Judges, Lawyers, and Law Professors) for the stated mission "to promote the clarification and simplification of the law and its better adaptation to social needs, to secure the better administration of justice and to encourage and carry on scholarly and scientific legal work." The collection, 1922-2004, includes minutes, correspondence, reports, and related records regarding the activity of the American Law Institute's Executive Committee, Finance and Development Committee, Investment Committee, and Membership Committee.
title
Committees
creator
American Law Institute
id
PU-L.ALI.03
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
15 cubic feet
inclusive date
1922-2004
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The American Law Institute (ALI) was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American law. Former Penn Law Dean William Draper Lewis was the Institute's first director, running the organization's operations out of his campus office. The ALI was conceived as a representative gathering of the American Bar (including Judges, Lawyers, and Law Professors) for the stated mission "to promote the clarification and simplification of the law and its better adaptation to social needs, to secure the better administration of justice and to encourage and carry on scholarly and scientific legal work." The collection, 1922-2004, includes minutes, correspondence, reports, and related records regarding the activity of the American Law Institute's Executive Committee, Finance and Development Committee, Investment Committee, and Membership Committee.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1924-2008
Creator:
American Law Institute
Extent: 4.5 linear feet
In the midst of World War II, the American Law Institute convened a committee in 1941 to study the international community's position regarding human rights law. The committee's charge was to develop a Statement of Essential Human Rights. William Draper Lewis, then Director of the American Law Institute, was chair of the committee and the project's most outspoken advocate, touring the world to deliver speeches on the importance of a code of basic human rights. International in scope and in participation, the committee included representatives from Britain, Canada, China, France, pre-Nazi Germany, Italy, India, Latin America, Poland, Soviet Russia, Spain, and Syria. A version of the Statement of Essential Human Rights was finalized in 1945. The collection, 1929-1987 and undated, includes research material, constitutions, letters, conference and meeting material, drafts, publications, the writings of William Draper Lewis, and other records related to the drafting of the Statement of Essential Human Rights, finalized in 1945. The bulk of the records spans the years 1941 to 1945.
title
Statement of Essential Human Rights Project Records
creator
American Law Institute
id
PU-L.ALI.04.006
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
4.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1924-2008
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
In the midst of World War II, the American Law Institute convened a committee in 1941 to study the international community's position regarding human rights law. The committee's charge was to develop a Statement of Essential Human Rights. William Draper Lewis, then Director of the American Law Institute, was chair of the committee and the project's most outspoken advocate, touring the world to deliver speeches on the importance of a code of basic human rights. International in scope and in participation, the committee included representatives from Britain, Canada, China, France, pre-Nazi Germany, Italy, India, Latin America, Poland, Soviet Russia, Spain, and Syria. A version of the Statement of Essential Human Rights was finalized in 1945. The collection, 1929-1987 and undated, includes research material, constitutions, letters, conference and meeting material, drafts, publications, the writings of William Draper Lewis, and other records related to the drafting of the Statement of Essential Human Rights, finalized in 1945. The bulk of the records spans the years 1941 to 1945.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949 United Nations. General Assembly. Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: National Bankruptcy Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1948-1996
Creator:
National Bankruptcy Conference (U.S.)
Extent: 1.3 linear feet (56 items)
The National Bankruptcy Conference is a voluntary, non-profit, self-supporting organization of lawyers, law teachers, and bankruptcy judges who have achieved scholarly distinction in the field of bankruptcy law. Its purpose is to study the operation of bankruptcy and related laws and proposals for their reform. The Conference participated as a consultant to Congress in every substantial amendment of the Bankruptcy Act up to the 1970s. The collection includes minutes summaries of proceedings of National Bankruptcy Conference meetings from 1948 to 1996 and reports submitted by the Committee on Coordination of Uniform Commercial Code and Bankruptcy Act.
title
National Bankruptcy Conference Records
creator
National Bankruptcy Conference (U.S.)
id
PU-L.NBA.004
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
1.3 linear feet (56 items)
inclusive date
1948-1996
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The National Bankruptcy Conference is a voluntary, non-profit, self-supporting organization of lawyers, law teachers, and bankruptcy judges who have achieved scholarly distinction in the field of bankruptcy law. Its purpose is to study the operation of bankruptcy and related laws and proposals for their reform. The Conference participated as a consultant to Congress in every substantial amendment of the Bankruptcy Act up to the 1970s. The collection includes minutes summaries of proceedings of National Bankruptcy Conference meetings from 1948 to 1996 and reports submitted by the Committee on Coordination of Uniform Commercial Code and Bankruptcy Act.
date_facet
1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
National Bankruptcy Conference (U.S.)
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Minutes
Biddle Law Library: Law School Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2011-04-28
1873-2010
Creator:
University of Pennsylvania. Law School
Extent: 3.75 linear feet
The University of Pennsylvania Law School was founded in 1850 as the law department of the University of Pennsylvania. In fulfilling its core mission of providing legal education and scholarship, the school has hosted lecture series, symposiums, and other educational programs, and its students, faculty, and alumni have taken part in the activities of various academic legal societies. The school has undergone several renovations and construction projects over the years. In addition, the school has engaged in institutional development activities, including alumni relations and other promotional programs. Members of the school community have also taken part in a variety of extra-curricular activities and law school related social events. The Penn Law School Collection, 1890-2010, includes publications related to the law school's administration, student life, alumni activities, academic programs, departments, and history; promotional materials, invitations, and programs for events related to the law school; correspondence, minutes, and other material pertaining to the Penn Law School chapter of the Order of the Coif, an honorary legal society; and notes, correspondence, building plans, publications, and other material related to law school construction and renovations projects from the 1950s to the 1990s.
title
Penn Law School Collection
creator
University of Pennsylvania. Law School
id
PU-L.BLL.002
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
3.75 linear feet
inclusive date
1873-2010
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The University of Pennsylvania Law School was founded in 1850 as the law department of the University of Pennsylvania. In fulfilling its core mission of providing legal education and scholarship, the school has hosted lecture series, symposiums, and other educational programs, and its students, faculty, and alumni have taken part in the activities of various academic legal societies. The school has undergone several renovations and construction projects over the years. In addition, the school has engaged in institutional development activities, including alumni relations and other promotional programs. Members of the school community have also taken part in a variety of extra-curricular activities and law school related social events. The Penn Law School Collection, 1890-2010, includes publications related to the law school's administration, student life, alumni activities, academic programs, departments, and history; promotional materials, invitations, and programs for events related to the law school; correspondence, minutes, and other material pertaining to the Penn Law School chapter of the Order of the Coif, an honorary legal society; and notes, correspondence, building plans, publications, and other material related to law school construction and renovations projects from the 1950s to the 1990s.
date_facet
1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
University of Pennsylvania. Law School Frankfurter, Felix, 1882-1965 Law Alumni Society (University of Pennsylvania) Order of the coif Roberts, Owen J. (Owen Josephus), 1875-1955 Spaak, Paul-Henri, 1899-1972 Wilson , James, 1742-1798
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Architectural drawings (visual works) Invitations Minutes Programs (documents) Publications
Biddle Law Library: Manuscripts Collection [Contact Us]
Date added: 2013-04-18
1935-1996
Creator:
Levin, A. Leo, 1919-
Extent: 30 linear feet
A. Leo Levin, born in 1919 received his B.A. from Yeshiva University in 1939. He attended the University of Pennsylvania Law School and received his J.D. in 1942. Levin then took his first teaching job at the University of Iowa where he taught for two years before returning to his alma mater Penn Law School. Levin taught at Penn Law until his appointment as Director of the Federal Judicial Center in 1977. Levin participated in numerous legal professional organizations such as the American Bar Association, the Association of American Law Schools and the Order of the Coif. Levin also served on a number of high profile judiciary committees such as the Legislative Reapportionment Committee from 1971-1973, the Commission on Revision of the Federal Court Appellate System from 1973-1975, and the Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group. Levin produced or contributed to a number of publications related to the law including Dispatch and Delay: A Field Study of Judicial Administration in Pennsylvania with Edward A. Woolley and Cases and Materials on Civil Procedure with James H. Chadbourn. Levin's interests were not limited solely to the law as evidenced by his active role in the Jewish Community serving on numerous boards of Jewish centric organizations such as the Jewish Exponent, a weekly newspaper published in Philadelphia, the Jewish Federation of Jewish Agencies and the Jewish Publication Society.
title
A. Leo Levin Papers
creator
Levin, A. Leo, 1919-
id
PU-L.MSS.015
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
30 linear feet
inclusive date
1935-1996
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
A. Leo Levin, born in 1919 received his B.A. from Yeshiva University in 1939. He attended the University of Pennsylvania Law School and received his J.D. in 1942. Levin then took his first teaching job at the University of Iowa where he taught for two years before returning to his alma mater Penn Law School. Levin taught at Penn Law until his appointment as Director of the Federal Judicial Center in 1977. Levin participated in numerous legal professional organizations such as the American Bar Association, the Association of American Law Schools and the Order of the Coif. Levin also served on a number of high profile judiciary committees such as the Legislative Reapportionment Committee from 1971-1973, the Commission on Revision of the Federal Court Appellate System from 1973-1975, and the Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group. Levin produced or contributed to a number of publications related to the law including Dispatch and Delay: A Field Study of Judicial Administration in Pennsylvania with Edward A. Woolley and Cases and Materials on Civil Procedure with James H. Chadbourn. Levin's interests were not limited solely to the law as evidenced by his active role in the Jewish Community serving on numerous boards of Jewish centric organizations such as the Jewish Exponent, a weekly newspaper published in Philadelphia, the Jewish Federation of Jewish Agencies and the Jewish Publication Society.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Levin, A. Leo, 1919- American Bar Association Association of American Law Schools. Federal Judicial Center Order of the coif
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Faculty papers
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
Date added: 2014-02-11
1937-1989
Creator:
Errickson, Sara Maiter, 1937-1989
Extent: 0.8 linear feet
Sara Cecelia Maiter Errickson was a graduate of Seton Hall University, class of 1946. Her public health nursing career involved many New Jersey area nursing and community health organizations. She retired in 1979. This collection includes Errickson's personal files as well as files relating to Errickson's organizational activities. The vast majority of this collection is composed of xeroxed copies.
title
Sara Maiter Errickson papers
creator
Errickson, Sara Maiter, 1937-1989
id
PU-N.MC 42
repository
University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
extent
0.8 linear feet
inclusive date
1937-1989
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Sara Cecelia Maiter Errickson was a graduate of Seton Hall University, class of 1946. Her public health nursing career involved many New Jersey area nursing and community health organizations. She retired in 1979. This collection includes Errickson's personal files as well as files relating to Errickson's organizational activities. The vast majority of this collection is composed of xeroxed copies.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Errickson, Sara Maiter, 1937-1989 Errickson, Sara Maiter, 1937-1989 New Jersey State Nurses Association.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Personal papers
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
Date added: 2014-02-11
1915-1976
Creator:
Tram, Rose Anna, 1915-197?
Extent: 1 linear feet
This collection documents the career of Rose Anna Tram, a U.S. Army nurse during World War II. It includes records, correspondence, artifacts, and one box of photographs.
title
Rose Anna Tram papers
creator
Tram, Rose Anna, 1915-197?
id
PU-N.MC 32
repository
University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
extent
1 linear feet
inclusive date
1915-1976
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection documents the career of Rose Anna Tram, a U.S. Army nurse during World War II. It includes records, correspondence, artifacts, and one box of photographs.
date_facet
1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Tram, Rose Anna, 1915-197? Tram, Rose Anna, 1915-197?
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Personal papers Photographs
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
Date added: 2014-02-11
1915-1977
Creator:
Lambertsen, Eleanor C.
Extent: 7 linear feet
Eleanor Lambertsen was a prominent nurse educator who led the nursing education faculty at both Teachers College, Columbia University and Cornell University/New York Hospital School of Nursing. This collection contains reports of her involvement in national and state-level activities, including the American Medical Association, National Commission for the Study of Nursing and Nursing Education, Nation's Health, and the American Nurses Association, as well as some of her correspondence and personal papers.
title
Eleanor C. Lambertsen papers
creator
Lambertsen, Eleanor C.
id
PU-N.MC 104
repository
University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
extent
7 linear feet
inclusive date
1915-1977
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Eleanor Lambertsen was a prominent nurse educator who led the nursing education faculty at both Teachers College, Columbia University and Cornell University/New York Hospital School of Nursing. This collection contains reports of her involvement in national and state-level activities, including the American Medical Association, National Commission for the Study of Nursing and Nursing Education, Nation's Health, and the American Nurses Association, as well as some of her correspondence and personal papers.
date_facet
1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Lambertsen, Eleanor C. American Hospital Association. American Nurses Association. Lambertsen, Eleanor C.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Faculty papers Personal papers
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
Date added: 2014-02-11
1933-1982
Creator:
Somers, Anne Ramsey, 1913-2008
Extent: 0.4 linear feet
Anne Ramsey Somers was an educator, author, and consultant active in the field of health care and health policy. This collection consists of a typescript study written by Somers, a report, and some publications she collected relating to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
title
Anne Ramsey Somers papers
creator
Somers, Anne Ramsey, 1913-2008
id
PU-N.MC 26
repository
University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
extent
0.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1933-1982
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Anne Ramsey Somers was an educator, author, and consultant active in the field of health care and health policy. This collection consists of a typescript study written by Somers, a report, and some publications she collected relating to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Somers, Anne Ramsey, 1913-2008 Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Somers, Anne Ramsey, 1913-2008
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Typescripts
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
Date added: 2014-02-11
1920-1983
Creator:
Robinson, Alice Merritt, 1920-1983
Extent: 8 linear feet
The strength of this collection lies in the materials which relate to the professional training of nurses and nursing education issues, particularly with regard to psychiatric nursing. Robinson's work as a nursing instructor, administrator, and author are well documented by her speeches, annotated manuscripts for publication, personal and professional writings, employment files, and photographs. The collection also contains several journal issues and reprints of Robinson's writings.
title
Alice Merritt Robinson papers
creator
Robinson, Alice Merritt, 1920-1983
id
PU-N.MC 29
repository
University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
extent
8 linear feet
inclusive date
1920-1983
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The strength of this collection lies in the materials which relate to the professional training of nurses and nursing education issues, particularly with regard to psychiatric nursing. Robinson's work as a nursing instructor, administrator, and author are well documented by her speeches, annotated manuscripts for publication, personal and professional writings, employment files, and photographs. The collection also contains several journal issues and reprints of Robinson's writings.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Robinson, Alice Merritt, 1920-1983 Robinson, Alice Merritt, 1920-1983 Tuft, Mary Ann Vermont League of Nurses.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Personal papers
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
Date added: 2014-02-11
1872-1993
Creator:
Roberts, Doris E., 1872-1993
Extent: 1.25 linear feet
Doris E. Roberts, R.N., Ph.D. was an internationally known nurse leader and educator in the field of community health services. These papers span Roberts’ professional career and documents her educational and academic experience, as well as awards and recognition received as a public health and nursing leader. This collection is comprised of addresses, articles, and documents relating to professional associations, as well as photographs of Roberts.
title
Doris E. Roberts papers
creator
Roberts, Doris E., 1872-1993
id
PU-N.MC 185
repository
University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
extent
1.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1872-1993
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Doris E. Roberts, R.N., Ph.D. was an internationally known nurse leader and educator in the field of community health services. These papers span Roberts’ professional career and documents her educational and academic experience, as well as awards and recognition received as a public health and nursing leader. This collection is comprised of addresses, articles, and documents relating to professional associations, as well as photographs of Roberts.
date_facet
1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Roberts, Doris E., 1872-1993 Roberts, Doris E., 1872-1993 United States Public Health Service.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Personal papers
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
Date added: 2014-02-11
circa 1915-1970
Creator:
Rothrock, Mary A.
Extent: 1.8 linear feet
Mary Alice Rothrock was a Pennsylvania nurse. A graduate of Lankenau Hospital School of Nursing, her career spanned over fifty years. Rothrock's papers and scrapbook document her correspondence with a friend overseas during World War I, her involvement in politics, her membership and activities in Pennsylvania nurse organizations, and her later jobs at Clearfield Hospital and the Albert Einstein Medical Center.
title
Mary A. Rothrock papers
creator
Rothrock, Mary A.
id
PU-N.MC 188
repository
University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
extent
1.8 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1915-1970
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Mary Alice Rothrock was a Pennsylvania nurse. A graduate of Lankenau Hospital School of Nursing, her career spanned over fifty years. Rothrock's papers and scrapbook document her correspondence with a friend overseas during World War I, her involvement in politics, her membership and activities in Pennsylvania nurse organizations, and her later jobs at Clearfield Hospital and the Albert Einstein Medical Center.
date_facet
1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Rothrock, Mary A. Pennsylvania State Nurses' Association. Rothrock, Mary A. Schneider, Jill Schneider, Mary (Polly) Yearsley
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Photographs Scrapbooks
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
Date added: 2014-02-11
1897-1987
Creator:
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Extent: 17.7 linear feet
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia was one of the earliest pediatric hospitals to open a training school for nurses. This collection consists of materials relating to the Hospital, the School of Nursing, and the School of Nursing Alumnae Assocation. It includes administrative records, student files, and photographs.
title
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia School of Nursing records
creator
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
id
PU-N.MC 8
repository
University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
extent
17.7 linear feet
inclusive date
1897-1987
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia was one of the earliest pediatric hospitals to open a training school for nurses. This collection consists of materials relating to the Hospital, the School of Nursing, and the School of Nursing Alumnae Assocation. It includes administrative records, student files, and photographs.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Administrative records Hospital records School records
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
Date added: 2014-02-11
1936-2004
Creator:
Pisani, Dorothy McMullan
Extent: 1 linear feet
Dorothy McMullan Pisani was a public health nurse. During her long career, she worked for a variety of institutions inclusing the Henry Street Visiting Nurse Service in New York City, the Army Nurse Corps during World War II, Indiana State University School of Nursing, and the NLN. This collection contains articles, speeches, and presentations, primarily relating to education and public health.
title
Dorothy McMullan Pisani papers
creator
Pisani, Dorothy McMullan
id
PU-N.MC 152
repository
University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
extent
1 linear feet
inclusive date
1936-2004
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dorothy McMullan Pisani was a public health nurse. During her long career, she worked for a variety of institutions inclusing the Henry Street Visiting Nurse Service in New York City, the Army Nurse Corps during World War II, Indiana State University School of Nursing, and the NLN. This collection contains articles, speeches, and presentations, primarily relating to education and public health.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Pisani, Dorothy McMullan Cornell University New York Hospital. Indiana State University School of Nursing. National League for Nursing. Pisani, Dorothy McMullan Visiting Nurse Service (Henry Street Settlement (New York, N.Y.)).
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Personal papers
« First • Previous • NextLast »