University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Date: 1970s
Remove
filtered Language: English
Remove
filtered Date: 1990s
Remove
filtered All names: Day, Frank Miles, 1861-1918
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 1 out of 1  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1892-2007
Extent: 4.8 linear foot
The first section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum building, designed to exhibit the large archaeological and ethnological collections amassed in the preceding twelve years, was opened in 1899. The architects, Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope and Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day and Brother, envisioned this first section as the westernmost wing of an immense building, at least three times the size of the present museum. The second section, the Harrison Rotunda, consisting of the exhibit hall and auditorium, was added in 1915. It featured a dome constructed by Rafael Guastavino. In 1926 the Eckley B. Coxe, Jr. Egyptian Wing opened, followed by the Administrative Wing (nowadays called the "Sharpe" Wing after the third floor gallery bearing that name) in 1929. Building activity stopped after 1929 until construction began on the Academic Wing in 1969. This section, designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates is the only part of the building that deviates from the original plan by Wilson Eyre. It opened in 1971. The collection consists of four series in nine boxes with additional oversize items in the plans and map cases.
title
Museum Building Records
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0002
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
4.8 linear foot
inclusive date
1892-2007
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The first section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum building, designed to exhibit the large archaeological and ethnological collections amassed in the preceding twelve years, was opened in 1899. The architects, Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope and Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day and Brother, envisioned this first section as the westernmost wing of an immense building, at least three times the size of the present museum. The second section, the Harrison Rotunda, consisting of the exhibit hall and auditorium, was added in 1915. It featured a dome constructed by Rafael Guastavino. In 1926 the Eckley B. Coxe, Jr. Egyptian Wing opened, followed by the Administrative Wing (nowadays called the "Sharpe" Wing after the third floor gallery bearing that name) in 1929. Building activity stopped after 1929 until construction began on the Academic Wing in 1969. This section, designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates is the only part of the building that deviates from the original plan by Wilson Eyre. It opened in 1971. The collection consists of four series in nine boxes with additional oversize items in the plans and map cases.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Conyers, Christopher B. Cope , Walter, 1860-1902 Coxe, Jr., Eckley B., b. 1872-d. 1916 Craig, Richard T. Day, Frank Miles, 1861-1918 Eyre, Jr., Wilson, 1858-1944 Furness, William H., III Guastavino, Rafael, 1842-1908 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 Mitchell/Giurgola Associates. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Stewardson, John, 1858-1896
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet