University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Date: 1970s
Remove
filtered Language: English
Remove
filtered Date: 1990s
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
176
1960s
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« FirstPrevious • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 201 - 210 out of 210  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1948-2008
Creator:
Coe, William R. , 1926-2009
Extent: 65 linear foot
The planning for the Tikal Project began in the mid 1940s when Museum President Percy C. Madeira along with engineer John Dimick and Board member Samuel B. Eckert conceived of a ten year long expedition to the Maya site in the dense forest region of Guatemala. Previous expeditions to investigate the Maya necessarily focused on more accessible sites such as Piedras Negras, Copan, Uxmal and Chichen Itza. Following the construction of a landing strip by the Guatemalan Air Force in 1950 the first scientists arrived in January 1956 for what would turn out to be a thirteen year expedition. For ten of the thirteen years, the project was directed by William Robertson Coe who accomplished major excavations in the Great Plaza, North Terrace and Acropolis sections of the project. Coe also conceptualized the data collection system and reporting guidelines that resulted in the publication of the seventeen volume Tikal Reports. The Tikal Project records contain 134 archival boxes of material that include correspondence, financial records, field notebooks, post excavation notes/analysis, pre-publication material for the Tikal Reports, plans, drawings, photographs, contact sheets and oversize items. Miscellaneous card files complete the collection. The original field cards are held in a forty-four drawer file cabinet installed in the Tikal Room at the museum.
title
Tikal Project
creator
Coe, William R. , 1926-2009
id
PU-Mu. 1112
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
65 linear foot
inclusive date
1948-2008
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The planning for the Tikal Project began in the mid 1940s when Museum President Percy C. Madeira along with engineer John Dimick and Board member Samuel B. Eckert conceived of a ten year long expedition to the Maya site in the dense forest region of Guatemala. Previous expeditions to investigate the Maya necessarily focused on more accessible sites such as Piedras Negras, Copan, Uxmal and Chichen Itza. Following the construction of a landing strip by the Guatemalan Air Force in 1950 the first scientists arrived in January 1956 for what would turn out to be a thirteen year expedition. For ten of the thirteen years, the project was directed by William Robertson Coe who accomplished major excavations in the Great Plaza, North Terrace and Acropolis sections of the project. Coe also conceptualized the data collection system and reporting guidelines that resulted in the publication of the seventeen volume Tikal Reports. The Tikal Project records contain 134 archival boxes of material that include correspondence, financial records, field notebooks, post excavation notes/analysis, pre-publication material for the Tikal Reports, plans, drawings, photographs, contact sheets and oversize items. Miscellaneous card files complete the collection. The original field cards are held in a forty-four drawer file cabinet installed in the Tikal Room at the museum.
date_facet
1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Coe, William R. , 1926-2009 Coe, William R., 1926- Jones, Christopher, b. 1937 Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978 Shook, Edwin M., 1911-2000 Trik, Aubrey, 1910-1968
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
1935-2003
Creator:
American Law Institute
National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws
Extent: 53.5 linear feet
The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) was the result of a joint project between the American Law Institute (ALI) and the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Law (NCCUSL). Work on the UCC began in 1945 in response to a perceived need by members of both ALI and NCCUSL to consolidate a number of uniform laws, previously enacted by NCCUSL, related to commercial transactions. NCCUSL was established in 1891 for the purpose of codifying state law by creating uniform laws and model acts. ALI was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American Law. The Institute had previously developed a codification of particular areas of the law, known as the Restatement of the Law. Thus, cooperation between ALI and NCCUSL on the UCC presented a likely partnership. The first version of the UCC was approved in 1951. Over the next few years, the states responded to, analyzed, and amended the UCC. In 1961, the Permanent Editorial Board was established to review and help revise the UCC on a continual basis in accordance with the evolving culture of commercial transactions. As a result, the revision of the Uniform Commercial is an ongoing cooperative project between ALI and NCCUSL. The collection, 1935-2003, include historical records, drafts, comments, correspondence, and other materials related to the creation of the Uniform Commercial Code, which consolidated and codified previous uniform laws related to commercial transaction.
title
Uniform Commercial Code Records
creator
American Law Institute National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws
id
PU-L.ALI.04.004
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
53.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1935-2003
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) was the result of a joint project between the American Law Institute (ALI) and the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Law (NCCUSL). Work on the UCC began in 1945 in response to a perceived need by members of both ALI and NCCUSL to consolidate a number of uniform laws, previously enacted by NCCUSL, related to commercial transactions. NCCUSL was established in 1891 for the purpose of codifying state law by creating uniform laws and model acts. ALI was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American Law. The Institute had previously developed a codification of particular areas of the law, known as the Restatement of the Law. Thus, cooperation between ALI and NCCUSL on the UCC presented a likely partnership. The first version of the UCC was approved in 1951. Over the next few years, the states responded to, analyzed, and amended the UCC. In 1961, the Permanent Editorial Board was established to review and help revise the UCC on a continual basis in accordance with the evolving culture of commercial transactions. As a result, the revision of the Uniform Commercial is an ongoing cooperative project between ALI and NCCUSL. The collection, 1935-2003, include historical records, drafts, comments, correspondence, and other materials related to the creation of the Uniform Commercial Code, which consolidated and codified previous uniform laws related to commercial transaction.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949 Permanent Editorial Board for the Uniform Commercial Code Schnader, William A. (William Abraham), 1886-1968
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
1963-2000
Creator:
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing. Development Office.
Extent: 3.2 linear feet
This collection contains some of the records of the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing Development Office. Also included are a set of photographs showing School of Nursing activities and events.
title
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing Development Office records
creator
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing. Development Office.
id
PU-N.MC 146
repository
University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
extent
3.2 linear feet
inclusive date
1963-2000
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains some of the records of the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing Development Office. Also included are a set of photographs showing School of Nursing activities and events.
date_facet
1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing. Development Office. Lynch, Theresa I., 1896-1994 Schwartz, Doris R., 1915-1999 University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Photographs
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
1918-1990
Creator:
Visiting Nurse Association of Allegheny County.
Extent: 6.5 linear feet
The records of the Visiting Nurse Association of Allegheny County document a wide range of issues in home nursing that appeared in the period from the association’s founding in 1919, up to the high-tech period of home care in the 1980s. The collection includes Board of Directors minutes, committee reports, and some substation files. There is a significant amount of material documenting the advances in the agency’s health care practices. One of the ways that home care changed was in moving away from the care of patients with declining communicable diseases such as tuberculosis, and moving towards more specialized care like chemotherapy. This collection also includes 300 photographs and several scrapbooks.
title
Visiting Nurse Association of Allegheny County records
creator
Visiting Nurse Association of Allegheny County.
id
PU-N.MC 106
repository
University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
extent
6.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1918-1990
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The records of the Visiting Nurse Association of Allegheny County document a wide range of issues in home nursing that appeared in the period from the association’s founding in 1919, up to the high-tech period of home care in the 1980s. The collection includes Board of Directors minutes, committee reports, and some substation files. There is a significant amount of material documenting the advances in the agency’s health care practices. One of the ways that home care changed was in moving away from the care of patients with declining communicable diseases such as tuberculosis, and moving towards more specialized care like chemotherapy. This collection also includes 300 photographs and several scrapbooks.
date_facet
1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Visiting Nurse Association of Allegheny County. Visiting Nurse Association of Allegheny County.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Administrative records
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
1976-1994
Creator:
Visiting Nurse Association of Greater Philadelphia.
Extent: 5 linear feet
The Visiting Nurse Association of Greater Philadelphia is the only non-profit home care health agency in Philadelphia that serves the entire geographic area. These records consist of cost studies for the delivery of home care, reports to the National League of Nursing and other organizations, internal office files, and annual reports.
title
Visiting Nurse Association of Greater Philadelphia records
creator
Visiting Nurse Association of Greater Philadelphia.
id
PU-N.MC 38
repository
University of Pennsylvania Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
extent
5 linear feet
inclusive date
1976-1994
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Visiting Nurse Association of Greater Philadelphia is the only non-profit home care health agency in Philadelphia that serves the entire geographic area. These records consist of cost studies for the delivery of home care, reports to the National League of Nursing and other organizations, internal office files, and annual reports.
date_facet
1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Visiting Nurse Association of Greater Philadelphia. Visiting Nurse Association of Greater Philadelphia.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Administrative records Financial records
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1938-2005
(Bulk: 1963-1992)
Creator:
Davenport, William H., 1922-2004
Extent: 10 linear feet
The William H. Davenport collection includes records from field research in the Santa Cruz Islands, Guadalcanal and San Cristobal Islands, and other Solomon Islands; the Moluccas and Sulawesi in Indonesia; and Sarawak in Malaysia, among other locations. Materials span the period from 1952-2002 and contain records primarily related to Davenport's field research, professional activities, student mentoring, and articles and publications.
title
William H. Davenport papers
creator
Davenport, William H., 1922-2004
id
PU-Mu. 1133.2005.20
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
10 linear feet
inclusive date
1938-2005
bulk date
1963-1992
abstract/scope/contents
The William H. Davenport collection includes records from field research in the Santa Cruz Islands, Guadalcanal and San Cristobal Islands, and other Solomon Islands; the Moluccas and Sulawesi in Indonesia; and Sarawak in Malaysia, among other locations. Materials span the period from 1952-2002 and contain records primarily related to Davenport's field research, professional activities, student mentoring, and articles and publications.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Davenport, William H., 1922-2004 Davenport, Nancy Davenport, William H., 1922-2004 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Birth certificates Correspondence Faculty papers Field notes Maps Military records Scrapbooks Syllabi
Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]
1868-2002
Creator:
Helfand, William H.
Extent: 61 item
A gift of historian of pharmacy and medicine Dr. William H. Helfand, this collection of ex-votos and devotional paintings on medical subjects offers insight into Mexican religious folk practices. Ex-votos are votive paintings usually hung in churches and religious venues as a sign of gratitude for received blessings or healings. The collection includes ex-votos dated between 1868 and 2002 and dedicated to Jesus Christ, the Virgin Mary, Saint Anthony of Padua, Saint James the Moor-slayer, Saint Paschal Baylon, Saint Barbara, Saint Judas Thaddeus, Saint Nicholas, and Saint Cosmas.
title
William H. Helfand collection of ex-votos and devotional paintings on medical subjects
creator
Helfand, William H.
id
PUSp.Ms. Coll. 1219
repository
University of Pennsylvania Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
extent
61 item
inclusive date
1868-2002
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
A gift of historian of pharmacy and medicine Dr. William H. Helfand, this collection of ex-votos and devotional paintings on medical subjects offers insight into Mexican religious folk practices. Ex-votos are votive paintings usually hung in churches and religious venues as a sign of gratitude for received blessings or healings. The collection includes ex-votos dated between 1868 and 2002 and dedicated to Jesus Christ, the Virgin Mary, Saint Anthony of Padua, Saint James the Moor-slayer, Saint Paschal Baylon, Saint Barbara, Saint Judas Thaddeus, Saint Nicholas, and Saint Cosmas.
date_facet
1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Helfand, William H. Catholic Church.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Devotional literature Paintings (visual works)
Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]
1970-1992
Creator:
William M. (William Musgrave) Calder, 1932-
Extent: 0.6 linear feet (2 boxes)
This collection contains some of the writings, correspondence and research materials of the philologist, historian and classicist William M. Calder III. Although Calder’s intellectual interests are extensive, this collection is primarily composed of his scholarship on and correspondence relating to the German classical philologist Ulrich von Wilamowitz-Moellendorff.
title
William M. Calder collection
creator
William M. (William Musgrave) Calder, 1932-
id
PUSp.Ms. Coll. 1114
repository
University of Pennsylvania Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
extent
0.6 linear feet (2 boxes)
inclusive date
1970-1992
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains some of the writings, correspondence and research materials of the philologist, historian and classicist William M. Calder III. Although Calder’s intellectual interests are extensive, this collection is primarily composed of his scholarship on and correspondence relating to the German classical philologist Ulrich von Wilamowitz-Moellendorff.
date_facet
1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
William M. (William Musgrave) Calder, 1932- Fraenkel, Eduard, 1888-1970 Henrichs, Albert Knauer, Elfriede Regina Knauer, Georg Nicolaus Wilamowitz-Moellendorff, Ulrich von, 1848-1931
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Writings (document genre)
Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]
1900-2003
Creator:
Evans, Wyn Ritchie, 1900-2003
Extent: 14 boxes
The Wyn Ritchie Evans papers include correspondence, writings, photographs, and personal papers that shed light on her connection to the arts scene and to Herman Sachs, her endeavors as a professional writer, and her life with Ray Evans.
title
Wyn Ritchie Evans papers
creator
Evans, Wyn Ritchie, 1900-2003
id
PUSp.Ms. Coll. 861
repository
University of Pennsylvania Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
extent
14 boxes
inclusive date
1900-2003
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Wyn Ritchie Evans papers include correspondence, writings, photographs, and personal papers that shed light on her connection to the arts scene and to Herman Sachs, her endeavors as a professional writer, and her life with Ray Evans.
date_facet
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Evans, Wyn Ritchie, 1900-2003 Evans, Ray, 1915-2007 Sachs, Herman, 1883-1940
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Diaries Manuscripts, American--20th century Photographs Scrapbooks Writings (documents)
Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]
1920-1997
Extent: 3 linear feet (3 boxes)
This collection contains published material relating to atomic energy and the atomic age.
title
Zinman Atomic Energy collection
creator
id
PUSP.Print Collection 46
repository
University of Pennsylvania Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
extent
3 linear feet (3 boxes)
inclusive date
1920-1997
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains published material relating to atomic energy and the atomic age.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
U.S. Atomic Energy Commission.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Books Government publications Publications (documents)
« FirstPrevious • Next • Last »