University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Date: 1970s
Remove
filtered Repository: Penn Museum Archives
Remove
filtered Bulk date: 1930s
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 7 out of 7  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1826-1995
(Bulk: 1898-1960)
Extent: 16 linear feet
The American Section was one of the first to evolve during the early development of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. The University Archaeological Association established in 1887 and later, the American Exploration Society, established in 1892, exhibited several small collections in College Hall before the building campaign for the museum began. Charles Abbott was the first curator of the section succeeded by Henry C. Mercer and then Stewart Culin who was also named Director in 1899. Each succeeding curator was responsible for adding collections, many of them representing their own expeditions in the United States, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and South America. Records in the files are dated from 1826 through the 1980s. The transfer of materials to the Archives took place piecemeal and without a central organization. The current re-processing placed the files into three series, Deaccessions and Loans, Collectors and Collections and Exhibits.
title
American Section
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0044
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1826-1995
bulk date
1898-1960
abstract/scope/contents
The American Section was one of the first to evolve during the early development of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. The University Archaeological Association established in 1887 and later, the American Exploration Society, established in 1892, exhibited several small collections in College Hall before the building campaign for the museum began. Charles Abbott was the first curator of the section succeeded by Henry C. Mercer and then Stewart Culin who was also named Director in 1899. Each succeeding curator was responsible for adding collections, many of them representing their own expeditions in the United States, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and South America. Records in the files are dated from 1826 through the 1980s. The transfer of materials to the Archives took place piecemeal and without a central organization. The current re-processing placed the files into three series, Deaccessions and Loans, Collectors and Collections and Exhibits.
date_facet
1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Abbott, Charles C., 1843-1919 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Bruckner, Geraldine M., b. 1901-d. 1982 Coe, William R. , 1926-2009 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Dyson, Robert H., 1927- Eyman, Frances, 1921-1949 Farabee, William Curtis, b. 1865-d. 1925 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Kidder, Alfred Vincent, 1885-1963 King, Mary Elizabeth, b. 1929 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Mercer, Henry C., 1856-1930 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Possehl, , Gregory L., Dr., b. 1941 Rainey, Froelich, Director of the University Museum Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978 Shotridge, Louis Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1883-2014
(Bulk: 1920-1936)
Creator:
Scott, Alexander
Extent: 0.2 linear foot
Alexander Scott was born in 1854 in Camberwell, Surrey, the son of the famed British portrait painter for the Illustrated London News, Thomas Dewel Scott. He became known as a world traveler, landscape painter and collector of Asian antiquities. This collection was donated to the Penn Museum in 2011 by Anne Bowbeer, the wife of Alexander Scott's nephew, following the death of Mabel Scott Hall, Alexander Scott's widow
title
Anne Bowbeer Alexander Scott Collection
creator
Scott, Alexander
id
PU-Mu.1061
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.2 linear foot
inclusive date
1883-2014
bulk date
1920-1936
abstract/scope/contents
Alexander Scott was born in 1854 in Camberwell, Surrey, the son of the famed British portrait painter for the Illustrated London News, Thomas Dewel Scott. He became known as a world traveler, landscape painter and collector of Asian antiquities. This collection was donated to the Penn Museum in 2011 by Anne Bowbeer, the wife of Alexander Scott's nephew, following the death of Mabel Scott Hall, Alexander Scott's widow
date_facet
1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s
bulk_date_facet
1920s 1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Scott, Alexander Bowbeer, Anne Scott Hall, Mabel Scott, Alexander
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1930-1972
(Bulk: 1930-1931)
Creator:
Schmidt, Erich Friedrich, 1897-1964
Extent: 1.95 linear feet
Excavation at Fara, initiated by German excavators between 1902 and 1903, was resumed in 1931 by Erich Schmidt, an archaeologist working under the aegis of the University Museum. Since the Museum’s participation was limited to one season which took place between February 15 and May 19, the records pertaining to this excavation are not numerous. The textual records at Fara include general correspondence, field notes, indexes and catalogues, and publications. Where possible, a chronological order was imposed on the records.
title
Fara, Iraq expedition records
creator
Schmidt, Erich Friedrich, 1897-1964
id
PU-Mu. 1020
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.95 linear feet
inclusive date
1930-1972
bulk date
1930-1931
abstract/scope/contents
Excavation at Fara, initiated by German excavators between 1902 and 1903, was resumed in 1931 by Erich Schmidt, an archaeologist working under the aegis of the University Museum. Since the Museum’s participation was limited to one season which took place between February 15 and May 19, the records pertaining to this excavation are not numerous. The textual records at Fara include general correspondence, field notes, indexes and catalogues, and publications. Where possible, a chronological order was imposed on the records.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Schmidt, Erich Friedrich, 1897-1964 Schmidt, Erich Friedrich, 1897-1964 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence Dissertations Field notes Inventories
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1930-1973
(Bulk: 1931-1939)
Creator:
Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975
Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967
Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978
Extent: 10 linear feet
Piedras Negras is a Maya site in Guatemala particularly noted for the beautifully sculpted stelae and hieroglyphic inscriptions it has yielded. Between 1931 and 1939 the University of Pennsylvania Museum conducted extensive excavations at this site. John Allen Mason led the first two seasons of work at the site (1931–1932), and Linton Satterthwaite directed the remaining six seasons (1933–1939, excluding 1938). Most of the monuments at the Museum borrowed from Guatemala were returned in 1947; only Stela 14 and one leg from Altar 4 remain on display in the Museum today. The textual records from the excavations of Piedras Negras consist of 11 linear feet of correspondence, financial records, field notes and diaries, catalogs, and reports and publication materials. The arrangement of the records reflects the original order insofar as could be detected, and portions that had been separated over time were re-integrated into this scheme.
title
Piedras Negras, Guatemala expedition records
creator
Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978
id
PU-Mu. 1105
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
10 linear feet
inclusive date
1930-1973
bulk date
1931-1939
abstract/scope/contents
Piedras Negras is a Maya site in Guatemala particularly noted for the beautifully sculpted stelae and hieroglyphic inscriptions it has yielded. Between 1931 and 1939 the University of Pennsylvania Museum conducted extensive excavations at this site. John Allen Mason led the first two seasons of work at the site (1931–1932), and Linton Satterthwaite directed the remaining six seasons (1933–1939, excluding 1938). Most of the monuments at the Museum borrowed from Guatemala were returned in 1947; only Stela 14 and one leg from Altar 4 remain on display in the Museum today. The textual records from the excavations of Piedras Negras consist of 11 linear feet of correspondence, financial records, field notes and diaries, catalogs, and reports and publication materials. The arrangement of the records reflects the original order insofar as could be detected, and portions that had been separated over time were re-integrated into this scheme.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978 Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Proskouriakoff, Tatiana, 1909-1985 Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Field notes Photographic prints Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1929-1970
(Bulk: 1939-1942)
Creator:
Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967
Extent: 1.5 linear feet
At the turn of the century, the Río Grande de Coclé changed course, revealing the site of a pre-Columbian cemetery when pottery and gold ornaments were washed out of the river banks. In 1940 the University of Pennsylvania Museum began to excavate Sitio Conte, which belonged to a private landowner, located in the province of Coclé. A very small portion of the pre-Columbian cemetery, estimated to cover four or five acres in its entirety, was selected for excavation. The expedition yielded 6,600 pounds of pottery and stone. The textual records consist of 1.5 linear feet of field notes, diaries, and object cards; correspondence; administrative records concerning contracts, expenses, transportation, and equipment; and unpublished and published reports and articles concerning findings. The arrangement of the records became apparent after some research, for the original order had been lost. Most of the original folder titles, however, have been maintained.
title
Sitio Conte, Panama expedition records
creator
Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967
id
PU-Mu. 1108
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1929-1970
bulk date
1939-1942
abstract/scope/contents
At the turn of the century, the Río Grande de Coclé changed course, revealing the site of a pre-Columbian cemetery when pottery and gold ornaments were washed out of the river banks. In 1940 the University of Pennsylvania Museum began to excavate Sitio Conte, which belonged to a private landowner, located in the province of Coclé. A very small portion of the pre-Columbian cemetery, estimated to cover four or five acres in its entirety, was selected for excavation. The expedition yielded 6,600 pounds of pottery and stone. The textual records consist of 1.5 linear feet of field notes, diaries, and object cards; correspondence; administrative records concerning contracts, expenses, transportation, and equipment; and unpublished and published reports and articles concerning findings. The arrangement of the records became apparent after some research, for the original order had been lost. Most of the original folder titles, however, have been maintained.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
1930s 1940s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Kidder, Alfred Vincent, 1885-1963 Madeira, Percy C., Jr., 1889-1967 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology. Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Field notes Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1920-1976
(Bulk: 1922-1934)
Creator:
Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975
Legrain, Leon, 1878-1962
Extent: 3.85 linear feet
Sir Leonard Woolley directed the excavations at Ur in southern Iraq from 1922 to 1934 for the Joint Expedition of the British Museum and the University of Pennsylvania Museum. As part of this involvement, the University of Pennsylvania Museum sent Leon Legrain, Curator of the Babylonian Section, during the 1924–1925 and 1925–1926 seasons. Most of the records of the Ur expedition are located at the British Museum. The Museum Archives hold only a few records. The records consist of general correspondence, indexes and catalogs, publications, and Legrain research. Where possible, a chronological order was imposed on the Near East records.
title
Ur, Iraq expedition records
creator
Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975 Legrain, Leon, 1878-1962
id
PU-Mu. 1018
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
3.85 linear feet
inclusive date
1920-1976
bulk date
1922-1934
abstract/scope/contents
Sir Leonard Woolley directed the excavations at Ur in southern Iraq from 1922 to 1934 for the Joint Expedition of the British Museum and the University of Pennsylvania Museum. As part of this involvement, the University of Pennsylvania Museum sent Leon Legrain, Curator of the Babylonian Section, during the 1924–1925 and 1925–1926 seasons. Most of the records of the Ur expedition are located at the British Museum. The Museum Archives hold only a few records. The records consist of general correspondence, indexes and catalogs, publications, and Legrain research. Where possible, a chronological order was imposed on the Near East records.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
1920s 1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975 Legrain, Leon, 1878-1962 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975 Legrain, Leon, 1878-1962 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1928-1971
(Bulk: 1931-1935)
Creator:
Petrullo, Vincenzo, 1906-1991
Extent: 1.8 linear feet
Vincenzo M. Petrullo was born in Italy in 1906, entered the United States in 1913, and eventually became a citizen in 1930. Petrullo represented the Penn Museum as the anthropologist for the Matto Grosso Expedition from late 1930 until 1931. Petrullo did archaeological excavations at the expedition headquarters at Descalvados, while waiting five months for governmental permission to conduct research in the Brazilian interior. In 1933 Petrullo returned to South America, his purpose to establish a Latin American Research Institute in Venezuela, with support from that government and the University of Pennsylvania Museum. Petrullo visited South America once again in 1935 in a joint Columbia University-University of Pennsylvania Museum expedition.
title
Vincenzo Petrullo expedition records
creator
Petrullo, Vincenzo, 1906-1991
id
PU-Mu. 1126
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.8 linear feet
inclusive date
1928-1971
bulk date
1931-1935
abstract/scope/contents
Vincenzo M. Petrullo was born in Italy in 1906, entered the United States in 1913, and eventually became a citizen in 1930. Petrullo represented the Penn Museum as the anthropologist for the Matto Grosso Expedition from late 1930 until 1931. Petrullo did archaeological excavations at the expedition headquarters at Descalvados, while waiting five months for governmental permission to conduct research in the Brazilian interior. In 1933 Petrullo returned to South America, his purpose to establish a Latin American Research Institute in Venezuela, with support from that government and the University of Pennsylvania Museum. Petrullo visited South America once again in 1935 in a joint Columbia University-University of Pennsylvania Museum expedition.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Petrullo, Vincenzo, 1906-1991 Petrullo, Vincenzo, 1906-1991
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Field notes Manuscripts for publication
« First • Previous • Next • Last »