Search Finding Aids
Finding Aids by Repository
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
Repository filters: 3 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
Subject: Place filters: 1 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
Donor filters: 1 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]
Wistar and Horner Museum., Creator
Extent: 0.4 linear feet (1 box)
The Wistar and Horner Museum was originally founded as the Wistar Museum in the early 19th century by Caspar Wistar, chair of the Department of Anatomy at the University of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine. In 1818, shortly before his death, Wistar appointed William Edmonds Horner, Dean of the Medical Faculty and professor of Anatomy at the University of Pennsylvania, as curator of the Wistar Museum. At that time, the combined collections of Wistar and Horner became known as the Wistar and Horner Museum. Dr. Joseph Leidy succeeded Horner as curator of the museum in 1847, and contributed hundreds of anatomical, botanical, and animal specimens to the museum collections. The Wistar and Horner Museum records date from 1822 to 1865, and consist of materials relating to museum collections, finances, funding, and curatorial activities; as well as Horner’s dissecting class at the University of Pennsylvania. The collection documents the evolution, management, finances, and curatorial and collecting activities of a university museum.