University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Language: English
Remove
filtered Repository: Penn Museum Archives
Remove
filtered Date: 1890s
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • NextLast »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 25 out of 30  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1826-1995
(Bulk: 1898-1960)
Extent: 16 linear feet
The American Section was one of the first to evolve during the early development of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. The University Archaeological Association established in 1887 and later, the American Exploration Society, established in 1892, exhibited several small collections in College Hall before the building campaign for the museum began. Charles Abbott was the first curator of the section succeeded by Henry C. Mercer and then Stewart Culin who was also named Director in 1899. Each succeeding curator was responsible for adding collections, many of them representing their own expeditions in the United States, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and South America. Records in the files are dated from 1826 through the 1980s. The transfer of materials to the Archives took place piecemeal and without a central organization. The current re-processing placed the files into three series, Deaccessions and Loans, Collectors and Collections and Exhibits.
title
American Section
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0044
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1826-1995
bulk date
1898-1960
abstract/scope/contents
The American Section was one of the first to evolve during the early development of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. The University Archaeological Association established in 1887 and later, the American Exploration Society, established in 1892, exhibited several small collections in College Hall before the building campaign for the museum began. Charles Abbott was the first curator of the section succeeded by Henry C. Mercer and then Stewart Culin who was also named Director in 1899. Each succeeding curator was responsible for adding collections, many of them representing their own expeditions in the United States, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and South America. Records in the files are dated from 1826 through the 1980s. The transfer of materials to the Archives took place piecemeal and without a central organization. The current re-processing placed the files into three series, Deaccessions and Loans, Collectors and Collections and Exhibits.
date_facet
1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Abbott, Charles C., 1843-1919 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Bruckner, Geraldine M., b. 1901-d. 1982 Coe, William R. , 1926-2009 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Dyson, Robert H., 1927- Eyman, Frances, 1921-1949 Farabee, William Curtis, b. 1865-d. 1925 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Kidder, Alfred Vincent, 1885-1963 King, Mary Elizabeth, b. 1929 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Mercer, Henry C., 1856-1930 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Possehl, , Gregory L., Dr., b. 1941 Rainey, Froelich, Director of the University Museum Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978 Shotridge, Louis Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1883-2014
(Bulk: 1920-1936)
Creator:
Scott, Alexander
Extent: 0.2 linear foot
Alexander Scott was born in 1854 in Camberwell, Surrey, the son of the famed British portrait painter for the Illustrated London News, Thomas Dewel Scott. He became known as a world traveler, landscape painter and collector of Asian antiquities. This collection was donated to the Penn Museum in 2011 by Anne Bowbeer, the wife of Alexander Scott's nephew, following the death of Mabel Scott Hall, Alexander Scott's widow
title
Anne Bowbeer Alexander Scott Collection
creator
Scott, Alexander
id
PU-Mu.1061
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.2 linear foot
inclusive date
1883-2014
bulk date
1920-1936
abstract/scope/contents
Alexander Scott was born in 1854 in Camberwell, Surrey, the son of the famed British portrait painter for the Illustrated London News, Thomas Dewel Scott. He became known as a world traveler, landscape painter and collector of Asian antiquities. This collection was donated to the Penn Museum in 2011 by Anne Bowbeer, the wife of Alexander Scott's nephew, following the death of Mabel Scott Hall, Alexander Scott's widow
date_facet
1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s
bulk_date_facet
1920s 1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Scott, Alexander Bowbeer, Anne Scott Hall, Mabel Scott, Alexander
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1890-1930
(Bulk: 1893-1903)
Creator:
Frothingham, Arthur L.
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
Extent: 1 linear foot
Although classical, including Etruscan, collections had been donated to the University of Pennsylvania Museum since the early 1890s it was in 1896 that the Museum formally authorized excavations in Italy and the acquisition of Etruscan tomb groups, as well as individual objects, for the Museum. Professor Arthur L. Frothingham of Princeton, then Secretary of the American School of Classical Studies in Rome, was commissioned to represent the Museum in Italy. Most of the tomb groups which Frothingham obtained are from Narce and Vulci, although there are objects from many other sites including Cerveteri, Orvieto, and Civita Castellana. The textual records from the excavations in Italy consist of one linear foot of correspondence, notes, financial accounts, and photographs related to the excavation of Etruscan tombs through which the Museum obtained the majority of its Etruscan collections.
title
Arthur L. Frothingham records from the Etruscan tomb groups excavation
creator
Frothingham, Arthur L. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
id
PU-Mu. 1040
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1 linear foot
inclusive date
1890-1930
bulk date
1893-1903
abstract/scope/contents
Although classical, including Etruscan, collections had been donated to the University of Pennsylvania Museum since the early 1890s it was in 1896 that the Museum formally authorized excavations in Italy and the acquisition of Etruscan tomb groups, as well as individual objects, for the Museum. Professor Arthur L. Frothingham of Princeton, then Secretary of the American School of Classical Studies in Rome, was commissioned to represent the Museum in Italy. Most of the tomb groups which Frothingham obtained are from Narce and Vulci, although there are objects from many other sites including Cerveteri, Orvieto, and Civita Castellana. The textual records from the excavations in Italy consist of one linear foot of correspondence, notes, financial accounts, and photographs related to the excavation of Etruscan tombs through which the Museum obtained the majority of its Etruscan collections.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Frothingham, Arthur L. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Frothingham, Arthur L. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Field notes
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1890-1969
Creator:
Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929
Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
Extent: 1.6 linear feet
The Asian Section collection includes correspondence and receipts all dealing with the donation or sale of artifacts to the Penn Museum from 1890 to 1969. Artifacts are mostly from China, Korea, and Japan. Notable donors include Stewart Culin, William Pepper, Phoebe Hearst, and Worch of Paris, C.T. Loo, and Yamanaka and Co.
title
Asian Section
creator
Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
id
PU-Mu. 0543
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.6 linear feet
inclusive date
1890-1969
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Asian Section collection includes correspondence and receipts all dealing with the donation or sale of artifacts to the Penn Museum from 1890 to 1969. Artifacts are mostly from China, Korea, and Japan. Notable donors include Stewart Culin, William Pepper, Phoebe Hearst, and Worch of Paris, C.T. Loo, and Yamanaka and Co.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Bishop, Carl Whiting, b. 1881-d.1942 Fernald, Helen Elizabeth, b. 1921-d. 1937 Getz, John, b. 1853? Hearst, Phoebe Apperson, 1842-1919 Johnson, Eldridge Reeves, b. 1867-d. 1945 Loo, C.T., b.1880-d.1957 Lyons, Elizabeth, b. 1912-d. 1989 McCartee, Divie Bethune, Dr., b. 1820-d.1900 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Scott, Alexander Scott, Hugh, Senator, b. 1900-D.1994 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Wanamaker, John, 1838-1922 Worch of Paris . Yamanaka and Co..
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1890-1969
Creator:
Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929
Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
Extent: 1.6 linear feet
The Asian Section collection includes correspondence and receipts all dealing with the donation or sale of artifacts to the Penn Museum from 1890 to 1969. Artifacts are mostly from China, Korea, and Japan. Notable donors include Stewart Culin, William Pepper, Phoebe Hearst, and Worch of Paris, C.T. Loo, and Yamanaka and Co.
title
Asian Section
creator
Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
id
PU-Mu. 0052
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.6 linear feet
inclusive date
1890-1969
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Asian Section collection includes correspondence and receipts all dealing with the donation or sale of artifacts to the Penn Museum from 1890 to 1969. Artifacts are mostly from China, Korea, and Japan. Notable donors include Stewart Culin, William Pepper, Phoebe Hearst, and Worch of Paris, C.T. Loo, and Yamanaka and Co.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Bishop, Carl Whiting, b. 1881-d.1942 Fernald, Helen Elizabeth, b. 1921-d. 1937 Getz, John, b. 1853? Hearst, Phoebe Apperson, 1842-1919 Johnson, Eldridge Reeves, b. 1867-d. 1945 Loo, C.T., b.1880-d.1957 Lyons, Elizabeth, b. 1912-d. 1989 McCartee, Divie Bethune, Dr., b. 1820-d.1900 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Scott, Alexander Scott, Hugh, Senator, b. 1900-D.1994 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Wanamaker, John, 1838-1922 Worch of Paris . Yamanaka and Co..
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1887-1910
(Bulk: 1891-1906)
Creator:
Pepper, William, 1843-1898
Extent: 2.8 linear foot (the board of managers records fill seven archival boxes plus a few oversize pieces)
William Pepper, originally a Provost of the University of Pennsylvania, was the visionary behind the establishment of the University Archaeological Association in 1889, and the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology in 1891, the precursors to the University Museum. The groups were composed of wealthy Philadelphians, interested in the ancient world, and capable of soliciting subscriptions to the Associations from their friends and colleagues. The University's sponsorship of an expedition to Nippur, Babylonia in 1887, financed by private funds was the impetus for Pepper to work toward the establishment of organizations to support exploration and house artifacts from the ancient world. With the need for a fire-proof building to house the finds, supported by the Trustees, College Hall was designated as the first repository in response to a request from William Pepper. By 1892, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania, was operating under an independent Board of Managers whose first President was Joseph Leidy. Pepper himself became President of the Department in 1894, working tirelessly along with Sara Yorke Stevenson, toward the funding and building of the Free Museum of Science and Art. Toward this goal, the American Exploration Society was created as an independent funding organization for the recovery of artifacts and the establishment of a museum of archaeology. The Board of Managers records consists of seven boxes of correspondence and financial records spanning the creation of the University Archaeological Association, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, the American Exploration Society and the Museum. The records are organized first by the entities that preceeded the museum and contributed to its creation. The next group of records are organized by the tenure of the Presidents of the Board of Managers.
title
Board of Managers
creator
Pepper, William, 1843-1898
id
PU-Mu. 0001.01
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.8 linear foot (the board of managers records fill seven archival boxes plus a few oversize pieces)
inclusive date
1887-1910
bulk date
1891-1906
abstract/scope/contents
William Pepper, originally a Provost of the University of Pennsylvania, was the visionary behind the establishment of the University Archaeological Association in 1889, and the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology in 1891, the precursors to the University Museum. The groups were composed of wealthy Philadelphians, interested in the ancient world, and capable of soliciting subscriptions to the Associations from their friends and colleagues. The University's sponsorship of an expedition to Nippur, Babylonia in 1887, financed by private funds was the impetus for Pepper to work toward the establishment of organizations to support exploration and house artifacts from the ancient world. With the need for a fire-proof building to house the finds, supported by the Trustees, College Hall was designated as the first repository in response to a request from William Pepper. By 1892, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania, was operating under an independent Board of Managers whose first President was Joseph Leidy. Pepper himself became President of the Department in 1894, working tirelessly along with Sara Yorke Stevenson, toward the funding and building of the Free Museum of Science and Art. Toward this goal, the American Exploration Society was created as an independent funding organization for the recovery of artifacts and the establishment of a museum of archaeology. The Board of Managers records consists of seven boxes of correspondence and financial records spanning the creation of the University Archaeological Association, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, the American Exploration Society and the Museum. The records are organized first by the entities that preceeded the museum and contributed to its creation. The next group of records are organized by the tenure of the Presidents of the Board of Managers.
date_facet
1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Baugh, Daniel, 1836-1921 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Coxe, Eckley B., 1839-1895 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Egyptian Exploration Fund. Flinders-Petrie, W.M., Sir, 1853-1942 Harrison, Charles C., 1844-1929 Hearst, Phoebe Apperson, 1842-1919 Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Strawbridge, Justus C., 1838-1911
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1897-1898
Creator:
Rosher, Charles H.
Extent: 01 linear foot
Charles H. Rosher was a trained engineer who worked with W.M. Flinders Petrie on archaeological sites in Egypt. Flinders Petrie's recommendation of Rosher as a capable engineer to the Penn and Cairo Museums resulted in his employment to remove several monuments from a site in Tanis. As a part of his duties, Rosher was charged with obtaining a permit for the work. As the permit did not materialize, Sara Yorke Stevenson of the Egyptian section of the museum traveled to Cairo to expedite the process. The diplomacy required to obtain the necessary permits and approvals from the Egyptian governing authorities proved too difficult for even Mrs. Stevenson. While embroiled in the process however, she dismissed Rosher to work for three months with Flinders Petrie to gain basic archaeological skills. As fate would have it, due to delays, Petrie was not able to meet with Rosher nor to train him. Rosher did perform some work at Dendereh and surveyed at the Tanis site. A dispute over his request for more money from the museum led to Penn accepting Rosher's resignation. The permit was never issued to Penn to excavate or remove monuments at Tanis. The Charles S. Rosher collection consists of two drawings from his time in Egypt. These tiems are oversize and kept in the map case. The first drawing, done in 1898 for the American Exploration Society shows "Details of some of the Tombs Excavated at Dendera." It is a reproduction of an ink drawing on paper. There are two small copies of the larger work that have been encapsulated. The second drawing is "Dendera Sketch Map of the Ancient Cemetery excavated by W.M.Flinders Petrie on behalf of the Egypt Exploration Fund". The drawing was completed by Rosher from "surveys by himself and W.M. Flinders Petrie" during the years 1897-1898. This map is also a reproduction of an ink drawing on paper.
title
Charles H. Rosher Dendereh records
creator
Rosher, Charles H.
id
PU-Mu. 1007
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
01 linear foot
inclusive date
1897-1898
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Charles H. Rosher was a trained engineer who worked with W.M. Flinders Petrie on archaeological sites in Egypt. Flinders Petrie's recommendation of Rosher as a capable engineer to the Penn and Cairo Museums resulted in his employment to remove several monuments from a site in Tanis. As a part of his duties, Rosher was charged with obtaining a permit for the work. As the permit did not materialize, Sara Yorke Stevenson of the Egyptian section of the museum traveled to Cairo to expedite the process. The diplomacy required to obtain the necessary permits and approvals from the Egyptian governing authorities proved too difficult for even Mrs. Stevenson. While embroiled in the process however, she dismissed Rosher to work for three months with Flinders Petrie to gain basic archaeological skills. As fate would have it, due to delays, Petrie was not able to meet with Rosher nor to train him. Rosher did perform some work at Dendereh and surveyed at the Tanis site. A dispute over his request for more money from the museum led to Penn accepting Rosher's resignation. The permit was never issued to Penn to excavate or remove monuments at Tanis. The Charles S. Rosher collection consists of two drawings from his time in Egypt. These tiems are oversize and kept in the map case. The first drawing, done in 1898 for the American Exploration Society shows "Details of some of the Tombs Excavated at Dendera." It is a reproduction of an ink drawing on paper. There are two small copies of the larger work that have been encapsulated. The second drawing is "Dendera Sketch Map of the Ancient Cemetery excavated by W.M.Flinders Petrie on behalf of the Egypt Exploration Fund". The drawing was completed by Rosher from "surveys by himself and W.M. Flinders Petrie" during the years 1897-1898. This map is also a reproduction of an ink drawing on paper.
date_facet
1890s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Rosher, Charles H. Flinders Petrie, William M. Rosher, Charles H. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drawings (visual works)
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1876-1964
(Bulk: 1891-1916)
Creator:
Stephens, Charles H., 1864-1940
Extent: 2.8 linear feet
Charles Hallowell Stephens (1855-1931), followed several careers; illustrator, art teacher, collector of American Indian artifacts, and amateur anthropologist. Born and raised in Philadelphia he attended the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts studying under the tutelage of Thomas Eakins. The importance of Stephens for the Penn Museum resides in his extensive collection of Native American artifacts that was estimated to have about 2000 items, about 1700 of which were acquired by the Penn Museum in 1945. The collection is divided into eight series: Correspondence, Blackfoot, Sioux, Collection Materials, Correspondence on Data, Visual Material, American Pageant Association, and Photographs.
title
Charles H. Stephens Papers
creator
Stephens, Charles H., 1864-1940
id
PU-Mu. 1081
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.8 linear feet
inclusive date
1876-1964
bulk date
1891-1916
abstract/scope/contents
Charles Hallowell Stephens (1855-1931), followed several careers; illustrator, art teacher, collector of American Indian artifacts, and amateur anthropologist. Born and raised in Philadelphia he attended the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts studying under the tutelage of Thomas Eakins. The importance of Stephens for the Penn Museum resides in his extensive collection of Native American artifacts that was estimated to have about 2000 items, about 1700 of which were acquired by the Penn Museum in 1945. The collection is divided into eight series: Correspondence, Blackfoot, Sioux, Collection Materials, Correspondence on Data, Visual Material, American Pageant Association, and Photographs.
date_facet
1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Stephens, Charles H., 1864-1940 Eyman, Frances, 1921-1949 Steele, George, Major, 1837-1916 Stephens, Alice Barber, 1858-1932 Stephens, Charles H., 1864-1940
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1868-1956
Creator:
Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899
Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967
Extent: 1.2 linear foot (the collection consists of thirteen folders housed in two archival boxes)
Daniel Garrison Brinton is considered one of the founders of modern American Anthropology. He was also the first to hold a professorship in Archaeology in the United States. His library, which includes the Carl Hermann Berendt collection of manuscripts in the indigenous languages of Mexico and Central America, is considered the core of the University of Pennsylvania Anthropology Library. Among the collection are 4515 items; rare illustrations, contemporary photographs, portraits of individual authors, and texts in Spanish, French, Italian, and German. Brinton gathered his information from archival and library studies and did not participate in any archaeological expeditions. This small collection, attributed to Brinton by J. Alden Mason of the University Museum, consists of thirteen folders. Two contain linguistic notes on the Maya languages and another two contain drawings of pottery, objects, sites, and maps of Maya regions, primarily in Mexico. Some of the drawings are believed to be those of Carl Hermann Berendt, purchased by Daniel Brinton for the library at the University. The collection also has four scrapbooks and a book of poems written by Dr. Brinton. The collection is in fragile condition and many of the items are in need of conservation assessment, particularly the Berendt drawings.
title
Daniel Garrison Brinton Collection
creator
Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967
id
PU-Mu. 1098
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.2 linear foot (the collection consists of thirteen folders housed in two archival boxes)
inclusive date
1868-1956
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Daniel Garrison Brinton is considered one of the founders of modern American Anthropology. He was also the first to hold a professorship in Archaeology in the United States. His library, which includes the Carl Hermann Berendt collection of manuscripts in the indigenous languages of Mexico and Central America, is considered the core of the University of Pennsylvania Anthropology Library. Among the collection are 4515 items; rare illustrations, contemporary photographs, portraits of individual authors, and texts in Spanish, French, Italian, and German. Brinton gathered his information from archival and library studies and did not participate in any archaeological expeditions. This small collection, attributed to Brinton by J. Alden Mason of the University Museum, consists of thirteen folders. Two contain linguistic notes on the Maya languages and another two contain drawings of pottery, objects, sites, and maps of Maya regions, primarily in Mexico. Some of the drawings are believed to be those of Carl Hermann Berendt, purchased by Daniel Brinton for the library at the University. The collection also has four scrapbooks and a book of poems written by Dr. Brinton. The collection is in fragile condition and many of the items are in need of conservation assessment, particularly the Berendt drawings.
date_facet
1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Berendt, Carl Hermann, 1817-1878 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Guzman, Panteleon de, 1652-1708
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drawings (visual works) Faculty papers
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1899-1911
Creator:
Coxe, Jr., Eckley B., b. 1872-d. 1916
Randall-MacIver, David, b.1873-d.1945
Woolley, C. Leonard, Sir, 1880-1960
Extent: 1.4 linear foot
The Eckley B. Coxe Jr. Expedition to Nubia was among those Egyptian trips financed by Coxe during his short life. The expedition was headed by David Randall-MacIver of the University Museum and C. Leonard Woolley of the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. Ancient Nubia, located in a corridor linking continental Africa and the Mediterranean, was rich in natural resources, especially gold. The northern part is now located under the Aswan Dam. The southernmost part is in modern day Sudan. Its people were culturally and linguistically different from the Egyptians and strong cultural interactions occurred in the ancient history of the region. Randall-MacIver and Woolley dug at Anibeh, Nasr Ibrim, Ma'am, Buhen, Areika and Karanog from 1907 to 1911. The records of the Nubia expedition include correspondence, notes, an object register, account books, photographs and oversize items that fill two archival boxes with additional oversize material in the map and print cases.
title
Eckley B. Coxe Jr. Expedition to Nubia 1899-1911
creator
Coxe, Jr., Eckley B., b. 1872-d. 1916 Randall-MacIver, David, b.1873-d.1945 Woolley, C. Leonard, Sir, 1880-1960
id
PU-Mu. 1008
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.4 linear foot
inclusive date
1899-1911
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Eckley B. Coxe Jr. Expedition to Nubia was among those Egyptian trips financed by Coxe during his short life. The expedition was headed by David Randall-MacIver of the University Museum and C. Leonard Woolley of the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. Ancient Nubia, located in a corridor linking continental Africa and the Mediterranean, was rich in natural resources, especially gold. The northern part is now located under the Aswan Dam. The southernmost part is in modern day Sudan. Its people were culturally and linguistically different from the Egyptians and strong cultural interactions occurred in the ancient history of the region. Randall-MacIver and Woolley dug at Anibeh, Nasr Ibrim, Ma'am, Buhen, Areika and Karanog from 1907 to 1911. The records of the Nubia expedition include correspondence, notes, an object register, account books, photographs and oversize items that fill two archival boxes with additional oversize material in the map and print cases.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Coxe, Jr., Eckley B., b. 1872-d. 1916 Randall-MacIver, David, b.1873-d.1945 Woolley, C. Leonard, Sir, 1880-1960 Randall-MacIver, David, b.1873-d.1945 Steindorff, Georg, b.1861-d.1951 Woolley, C. Leonard, Sir, 1880-1960
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1897-1899
Creator:
McIlhenny, Edward Avery, 1872-1949
Extent: 0.1 linear foot
In 1897, Edward Avery McIlhenny pursued an agreement with Dr. William Pepper, President of the Museum of Anthropology and Archeaology at the University of Pennsylvania to gain the museum's support for his own expedition to Point Barrow, Alaska. In return. he agreed to give the museum all of the specimens recovered. McIlhenny worked in Alaska from 1897 to 1899. The Point Barrow Collection consists of three folders of correspondence and catalogues and two boxes of mounted photographs.
title
Edward Avery McIlhenny Alaska Expedition records
creator
McIlhenny, Edward Avery, 1872-1949
id
PU-Mu. 1073
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.1 linear foot
inclusive date
1897-1899
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
In 1897, Edward Avery McIlhenny pursued an agreement with Dr. William Pepper, President of the Museum of Anthropology and Archeaology at the University of Pennsylvania to gain the museum's support for his own expedition to Point Barrow, Alaska. In return. he agreed to give the museum all of the specimens recovered. McIlhenny worked in Alaska from 1897 to 1899. The Point Barrow Collection consists of three folders of correspondence and catalogues and two boxes of mounted photographs.
date_facet
1890s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
McIlhenny, Edward Avery, 1872-1949 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 McIlhenny, Edward Avery, 1872-1949 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Stone, Witmer, 1866-1939
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1888-1926
Extent: 0.4 linear foot (the records of the egypt exploration fund fill one archival box of correspondence and financial records)
Amelia B. Edwards, a novelist and travel writer, traveled in Egypt from 1873 to 1874 to escape bad weather in her native England. Her stay in Egypt inspired the book, A Thousand Miles Up the Nile. A best seller at the time, Edwards story presented a view of nineteenth century Egypt along with descriptions of the previously unknown antiquities of the ancient civilization. After returning to England, Edwards and Reginald Stuart Poole of the Department of Coins and Metals of the British Museum co-founded the Egypt Exploration Fund. Its 1882 mission was to "explore, survey and excavate ancient sites in Egypt and Sudan and publish the results of this work." The work of W.M. Flinders Petrie was of great interest to the amateur Egyptologist Edwards, and she supported Flinders Petrie's appointment as successor to Edouard Naville in Egypt. Petrie arrived in Egypt in 1884 with funds from University College, London. He later became the first Edwards professor of Egyptology at the University of London. Subscriptions to the Fund came from all over the world. An office was founded in Boston to do the work of the fund in the United States. Organizations such as the Free Museum of Science and Art who subscribed to the fund were able to share in the artifacts recovered by Flinders Petrie's work. The Egypt Exploration Fund records fill one archival box. There are seven folders of correspondence and financial records including several circulars from the London and Boston offices of the Fund.
title
Egypt Exploration Fund
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0032
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.4 linear foot (the records of the egypt exploration fund fill one archival box of correspondence and financial records)
inclusive date
1888-1926
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Amelia B. Edwards, a novelist and travel writer, traveled in Egypt from 1873 to 1874 to escape bad weather in her native England. Her stay in Egypt inspired the book, A Thousand Miles Up the Nile. A best seller at the time, Edwards story presented a view of nineteenth century Egypt along with descriptions of the previously unknown antiquities of the ancient civilization. After returning to England, Edwards and Reginald Stuart Poole of the Department of Coins and Metals of the British Museum co-founded the Egypt Exploration Fund. Its 1882 mission was to "explore, survey and excavate ancient sites in Egypt and Sudan and publish the results of this work." The work of W.M. Flinders Petrie was of great interest to the amateur Egyptologist Edwards, and she supported Flinders Petrie's appointment as successor to Edouard Naville in Egypt. Petrie arrived in Egypt in 1884 with funds from University College, London. He later became the first Edwards professor of Egyptology at the University of London. Subscriptions to the Fund came from all over the world. An office was founded in Boston to do the work of the fund in the United States. Organizations such as the Free Museum of Science and Art who subscribed to the fund were able to share in the artifacts recovered by Flinders Petrie's work. The Egypt Exploration Fund records fill one archival box. There are seven folders of correspondence and financial records including several circulars from the London and Boston offices of the Fund.
date_facet
1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Edwards, Amelia B., 1831-1892 Flinders-Petrie, W.M., Sir, 1853-1942 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Naville, Edouard, 1844-1926 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Williams, Talcott, 1849-1928
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1893-1984
Extent: 2.8 linear foot
The Museum collections, initially displayed in the University Library in the Furness Building, were transferred to the new building in 1898. In the years that followed, the collections and the space available continued to grow and the Museum prepared both permanent and loan exhibits. The earliest Museum exhibits can be found in the records of the individual sections. An exhibit staff member was appointed in 1940; the staff remaining relatively small. Although exhibit catalogs date from 1892, few files were kept, and the photographic collections are often helpful in documenting past exhibitions. The files are arranged chronologically. Exhibit catalogs are filed separately (see Special Collections— Publications).
title
Exhibits Department records
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0006
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.8 linear foot
inclusive date
1893-1984
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Museum collections, initially displayed in the University Library in the Furness Building, were transferred to the new building in 1898. In the years that followed, the collections and the space available continued to grow and the Museum prepared both permanent and loan exhibits. The earliest Museum exhibits can be found in the records of the individual sections. An exhibit staff member was appointed in 1940; the staff remaining relatively small. Although exhibit catalogs date from 1892, few files were kept, and the photographic collections are often helpful in documenting past exhibitions. The files are arranged chronologically. Exhibit catalogs are filed separately (see Special Collections— Publications).
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Addams, Charles, 1912-1988 Crownover, David Crumbo, Woodrow Wilson (Woody), 1912-1989 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Davis, Griffin J. (Griff), 1923-1993 Evans, Merlyn, 1910-1973 Wenner-Gren Foundation.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1895-1904
Creator:
Furness, William H., III
Harrison, Alfred Craven, Jr., 1869-1925
Hiller, Hiram Milliken, 1867-1921
Extent: 4.4 linear feet
Between 1895 and 1901, William Furness, III., Alfred C. Harrison, Jr., and Hiram M. Hiller made a series of extended trips to Oceania, South and Southeast Asia, and East Asia. Furness, Harrison, and Hiller all donated or sold substantial collections of ethnographic, archaeological, and skeletal material acquired on the voyages to the Penn Museum. The Furness, Harrison, and Hiller collections, particularly those from Oceania, are extensive and reasonably well-documented for their time.
title
Furness, Harrison and Hiller expedition records
creator
Furness, William H., III Harrison, Alfred Craven, Jr., 1869-1925 Hiller, Hiram Milliken, 1867-1921
id
PU-Mu. 1060
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
4.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1895-1904
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Between 1895 and 1901, William Furness, III., Alfred C. Harrison, Jr., and Hiram M. Hiller made a series of extended trips to Oceania, South and Southeast Asia, and East Asia. Furness, Harrison, and Hiller all donated or sold substantial collections of ethnographic, archaeological, and skeletal material acquired on the voyages to the Penn Museum. The Furness, Harrison, and Hiller collections, particularly those from Oceania, are extensive and reasonably well-documented for their time.
date_facet
1890s 1900s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Furness, William H., III Harrison, Alfred Craven, Jr., 1869-1925 Hiller, Hiram Milliken, 1867-1921 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Furness, William H., III Harrison, Alfred Craven, Jr., 1869-1925 Hiller, Hiram Milliken, 1867-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Field notes Manuscripts for publication Maps Photographic prints Site plans Travelogs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1893-1956
(Bulk: 1893-1924)
Creator:
Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
Extent: 0.35 linear foot
George Byron Gordon led expeditions to Copan at the end of the nineteenth century and, with his brother MacLaren Gordon, to Alaska in 1905 and 1907. As Professor at the University of Pennsylvania and as Director of the Museum, Gordon was first to conduct regular lectures to undergraduate and graduate students in Anthropology and oversaw one of the the largest periods of Museum growth. The G.B. Gordon Central America collection includes diaries, surveying notes, reports and stories from the Copan Expeditions and the Yucatan Expedition in 1910, original stories, articles, and book reviews written by Dr. Gordon, communication with The British Museum about Maya site excavation, Gordon's introductions composed for speakers for the Saturday Afternoon Lecture Series, speeches to professional organizations, and class lectures.
title
George Byron Gordon Central America expedition records
creator
Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
id
PU-Mu. 1100
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.35 linear foot
inclusive date
1893-1956
bulk date
1893-1924
abstract/scope/contents
George Byron Gordon led expeditions to Copan at the end of the nineteenth century and, with his brother MacLaren Gordon, to Alaska in 1905 and 1907. As Professor at the University of Pennsylvania and as Director of the Museum, Gordon was first to conduct regular lectures to undergraduate and graduate students in Anthropology and oversaw one of the the largest periods of Museum growth. The G.B. Gordon Central America collection includes diaries, surveying notes, reports and stories from the Copan Expeditions and the Yucatan Expedition in 1910, original stories, articles, and book reviews written by Dr. Gordon, communication with The British Museum about Maya site excavation, Gordon's introductions composed for speakers for the Saturday Afternoon Lecture Series, speeches to professional organizations, and class lectures.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Bowditch, Charles P., 1842-1921 Cavell, Edith, 1865-1915 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Faculty papers Field notes
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1891-1956
Creator:
Mercer, Henry C., 1856-1930
Extent: 0.3 linear feet
title
Henry C. Mercer papers
creator
Mercer, Henry C., 1856-1930
id
PU-Mu. 1161
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.3 linear feet
inclusive date
1891-1956
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Mercer, Henry C., 1856-1930 Mercer, Henry C., 1856-1930
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Field notes
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1892-1913
Creator:
Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925
Extent: 2.7 linear feet
Hermann Volrath Hilprecht, eminent Assyriologist, arrived in the United States in 1886, summoned by the Sunday School Times to edit their oriental section. He was also appointed Professor of Assyriology at the University of Pennsylvania. The following year, Hilprecht assumned the duties of Curator of the Babylonian and General Semitic section of the Museum of Archaeology at Penn. Hilprecht was the scientific director for the Babylonian expedition to Nippur. In all, he worked on four expeditions, specializing in the interpretation of the cuneiform tablets. The Hermann V. Hilprecht Near East section records consist of five boxes of data. The folders had been previously organized into correspondence, collections, publications and controversy divisions. During processing, the correspondence was placed more appropriately in general, curatorial and publishing subdivisions. The collection folders as well as the majority of the publication data required only placement in chronological order.
title
Hermann V. Hilprecht Near East Section records
creator
Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925
id
PU-Mu. 0062
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.7 linear feet
inclusive date
1892-1913
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Hermann Volrath Hilprecht, eminent Assyriologist, arrived in the United States in 1886, summoned by the Sunday School Times to edit their oriental section. He was also appointed Professor of Assyriology at the University of Pennsylvania. The following year, Hilprecht assumned the duties of Curator of the Babylonian and General Semitic section of the Museum of Archaeology at Penn. Hilprecht was the scientific director for the Babylonian expedition to Nippur. In all, he worked on four expeditions, specializing in the interpretation of the cuneiform tablets. The Hermann V. Hilprecht Near East section records consist of five boxes of data. The folders had been previously organized into correspondence, collections, publications and controversy divisions. During processing, the correspondence was placed more appropriately in general, curatorial and publishing subdivisions. The collection folders as well as the majority of the publication data required only placement in chronological order.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925 Clay, A.T. (Andrew Tobias), 1866-1925 Coxe, Jr., Eckley B., b. 1872-d. 1916 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Haynes, John Henry Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 McHugh, Jane Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Peters, John P. (John Punnett), 1852-1921 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1895-1907
Creator:
Hiller, Hiram Milliken, 1867-1921
Extent: 0.4 linear foot
Hiram Milliken Hiller, Jr. was born in 1867 in Kahoka, Missouri to Colonel Hiram Milliken Hiller and Sarah Bell Hiller. He graduated from Parson’s College, Iowa, in 1887 and from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in 1891. In 1895, he made the first of a series of voyages to the East with Furness and Harrison. From 1895-1901, Hiller visited Borneo, Japan, Sri Lanka, Siberia, and other locations in Asia. Hiller conducted ethnographical studies of the Dayaks of Borneo, the Nagas of Assam, India, and the Ainu of Japan. These letters span the period from October 1895 to May 1907, with the years 1896-1902 the most significantly represented. Most of them are from Hiram Hiller, Jr. to family members in Kahoka, particularly his mother Sarah and his sister Lida Hiller (Lapsley).
title
Hiram M. Hiller Personal Papers
creator
Hiller, Hiram Milliken, 1867-1921
id
PU-Mu. 1117
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.4 linear foot
inclusive date
1895-1907
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Hiram Milliken Hiller, Jr. was born in 1867 in Kahoka, Missouri to Colonel Hiram Milliken Hiller and Sarah Bell Hiller. He graduated from Parson’s College, Iowa, in 1887 and from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in 1891. In 1895, he made the first of a series of voyages to the East with Furness and Harrison. From 1895-1901, Hiller visited Borneo, Japan, Sri Lanka, Siberia, and other locations in Asia. Hiller conducted ethnographical studies of the Dayaks of Borneo, the Nagas of Assam, India, and the Ainu of Japan. These letters span the period from October 1895 to May 1907, with the years 1896-1902 the most significantly represented. Most of them are from Hiram Hiller, Jr. to family members in Kahoka, particularly his mother Sarah and his sister Lida Hiller (Lapsley).
date_facet
1890s 1900s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Hiller, Hiram Milliken, 1867-1921 Furness, William H., III Hiller, Hiram Milliken, 1867-1921 Hose, Charles, Sir, 1872-1953 Katz, Adria H. Zaifeng, Chun, Prince, 1883-1951
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1898-1968
(Bulk: 1924-1964)
Creator:
Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967
Extent: 1.2 linear feet
J. Alden Mason, noted archaeological anthropologist and linguist, was born in Orland, Indiana and attended school in Philadelphia attaining his A.B. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1907. He pursued his Ph.D. at the University of California, Berkeley completing his dissertation on the ethnography of the Salinan Indians of California. Mason was influenced by Alfred J. Kroeber while at Berkeley and Edward Sapir of the University of Pennsylvania. The J. Alden Mason curatorial years (1922-1967) produced three archival boxes of correspondence and in-house memos, along with Section reports, research notes and articles and notes for publication. This material, in addition to personal records of Dr. Mason and evidence of his scholarship were arranged into series and placed in chronological order.
title
J. Alden Mason American Section records
creator
Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967
id
PU-Mu. 0048
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.2 linear feet
inclusive date
1898-1968
bulk date
1924-1964
abstract/scope/contents
J. Alden Mason, noted archaeological anthropologist and linguist, was born in Orland, Indiana and attended school in Philadelphia attaining his A.B. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1907. He pursued his Ph.D. at the University of California, Berkeley completing his dissertation on the ethnography of the Salinan Indians of California. Mason was influenced by Alfred J. Kroeber while at Berkeley and Edward Sapir of the University of Pennsylvania. The J. Alden Mason curatorial years (1922-1967) produced three archival boxes of correspondence and in-house memos, along with Section reports, research notes and articles and notes for publication. This material, in addition to personal records of Dr. Mason and evidence of his scholarship were arranged into series and placed in chronological order.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Butler, Mary, 1903-1970 Fisher, George S. Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 McHugh, Jane Mercer, Henry C., 1856-1930 Shepard, Anna Osler, 1903-1973 Uhle, Max, 1856-1944 Vaillant, George C., b.1901-d.1945
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1892-1968
(Bulk: 1895-1899)
Creator:
Kerr, M. Henry, 1869-1935
Kerr, S. Logan, d. 1968
Extent: 1.1 linear feet (one manuscript box and one scrapbook box)
Henry Kerr (1869-1935), a Presbyterian minister, worked in several villiages in Cameroon, West Africa from 1892-1899. The Presbyterian Mission League tasked him with expanding the mission locations, translating hymns and the four Gospels, teaching, and promoting industry. Contained in the collection are his own photos and correspondence, both letters sent and replies. The bulk of the collection is in the format of a scrapbook compiled by Kerr.
title
M. Henry Kerr Cameroon expedition papers
creator
Kerr, M. Henry, 1869-1935 Kerr, S. Logan, d. 1968
id
PU-Mu. 1000
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.1 linear feet (one manuscript box and one scrapbook box)
inclusive date
1892-1968
bulk date
1895-1899
abstract/scope/contents
Henry Kerr (1869-1935), a Presbyterian minister, worked in several villiages in Cameroon, West Africa from 1892-1899. The Presbyterian Mission League tasked him with expanding the mission locations, translating hymns and the four Gospels, teaching, and promoting industry. Contained in the collection are his own photos and correspondence, both letters sent and replies. The bulk of the collection is in the format of a scrapbook compiled by Kerr.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
1890s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Kerr, M. Henry, 1869-1935 Kerr, S. Logan, d. 1968 Kerr, Janet K. Kerr, M. Henry, 1869-1935
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Scrapbooks
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1879-1955
Creator:
Baker, Mary Louise, b. 1872-d. 1962
Extent: 5 linear feet
During her employment as museum artist at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology from 1908-1936, M. (Mary) Louise Baker established an international reputation as the preeminent archaeological artist of her time with unmatched technical skill in scientific illustration. Her work at the University Museum included paintings of Maya pottery for limited edition folio volumes; paintings and reconstructions of Ur of the Chaldees’ royal tombs findings for Sir C. Leonard Woolley and of the Palace of Merenptah at Memphis, and a reconstructed drawing of the Piedras Negras Lintel 3. She spent much of her career dividing her time between the positions of museum artist and as art teacher at the George School in Bucks County, PA. A life-long Quaker, M. Louise Baker was born in Alliance, Ohio, on August 4, 1872. At the age of 19, she came to Pennsylvania to complete her education. By 1900, she had decided to concentrate on art and enrolled at the Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art. Early in her career, Baker was a free-lance artist for commercial illustrations and children’s magazines. She also did scientific drawings for archaeologist Clarence B. Moore at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia. In 1908, she was hired by Dr. George Byron Gordon at the University of Pennsylvania Museum. During her career as an archaeological artist, Baker traveled to parts of the world where women never ventured unattended. The M. Louise Baker collection spans the years from 1889 to 1962 and contains her unpublished autobiography; 54 detailed diaries from 1889 to 1960; sketches, commercial art, illustrated stories and poems for children’s publications from her early career; scrapbooks which she compiled; drawings and paintings. A large portion of the collection, including Baker’s unpublished memoir, family photographs, scrapbooks, and diaries, was donated to the Penn Museum Archives in 2011 by Baker family members after a connection with Museum Research Associate Dr. Elin Danien. It is housed in ten archival boxes, plus additional drawings and paintings housed in the Oversize Plans and Drawings Collection and other examples of Baker’s work relating to Ur and Egypt on display in Museum exhibit galleries. The Penn Museum owns over 500 works by Baker, including all her work for the Maya Pottery publications, much of it unpublished.
title
M. Louise Baker papers
creator
Baker, Mary Louise, b. 1872-d. 1962
id
PU-Mu. 1107
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
5 linear feet
inclusive date
1879-1955
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
During her employment as museum artist at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology from 1908-1936, M. (Mary) Louise Baker established an international reputation as the preeminent archaeological artist of her time with unmatched technical skill in scientific illustration. Her work at the University Museum included paintings of Maya pottery for limited edition folio volumes; paintings and reconstructions of Ur of the Chaldees’ royal tombs findings for Sir C. Leonard Woolley and of the Palace of Merenptah at Memphis, and a reconstructed drawing of the Piedras Negras Lintel 3. She spent much of her career dividing her time between the positions of museum artist and as art teacher at the George School in Bucks County, PA. A life-long Quaker, M. Louise Baker was born in Alliance, Ohio, on August 4, 1872. At the age of 19, she came to Pennsylvania to complete her education. By 1900, she had decided to concentrate on art and enrolled at the Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art. Early in her career, Baker was a free-lance artist for commercial illustrations and children’s magazines. She also did scientific drawings for archaeologist Clarence B. Moore at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia. In 1908, she was hired by Dr. George Byron Gordon at the University of Pennsylvania Museum. During her career as an archaeological artist, Baker traveled to parts of the world where women never ventured unattended. The M. Louise Baker collection spans the years from 1889 to 1962 and contains her unpublished autobiography; 54 detailed diaries from 1889 to 1960; sketches, commercial art, illustrated stories and poems for children’s publications from her early career; scrapbooks which she compiled; drawings and paintings. A large portion of the collection, including Baker’s unpublished memoir, family photographs, scrapbooks, and diaries, was donated to the Penn Museum Archives in 2011 by Baker family members after a connection with Museum Research Associate Dr. Elin Danien. It is housed in ten archival boxes, plus additional drawings and paintings housed in the Oversize Plans and Drawings Collection and other examples of Baker’s work relating to Ur and Egypt on display in Museum exhibit galleries. The Penn Museum owns over 500 works by Baker, including all her work for the Maya Pottery publications, much of it unpublished.
date_facet
1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Baker, Mary Louise, b. 1872-d. 1962 Allen, E. Constance Baker, Mary Louise, b. 1872-d. 1962 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Wooley, C. Leonard, Sir, b. 1880-d.1960
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Diaries Drawings (visual works)
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1895-1975
Creator:
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949
Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948
Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943
Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009
Luce, Stephen B.
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
Extent: 2 linear feet
The curatorial files encompass the period from the Section's inauguration by Museum President William Pepper in 1894 to the 1970s. While the material in the Mediterranean curatorial files dates from 1895 to 1979, the bulk of the collection dates to the earlier years (1895-1949) and within that period, the majority relate to Edith Hall Dohan.
title
Mediterranean Section Curatorial records
creator
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948 Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943 Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009 Luce, Stephen B. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
id
PU-Mu. 0059
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1895-1975
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The curatorial files encompass the period from the Section's inauguration by Museum President William Pepper in 1894 to the 1970s. While the material in the Mediterranean curatorial files dates from 1895 to 1979, the bulk of the collection dates to the earlier years (1895-1949) and within that period, the majority relate to Edith Hall Dohan.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948 Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943 Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009 Luce, Stephen B. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974 Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948 Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943 Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009 Luce, Stephen B. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Faculty papers
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1892-2007
Extent: 4.8 linear foot
The first section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum building, designed to exhibit the large archaeological and ethnological collections amassed in the preceding twelve years, was opened in 1899. The architects, Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope and Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day and Brother, envisioned this first section as the westernmost wing of an immense building, at least three times the size of the present museum. The second section, the Harrison Rotunda, consisting of the exhibit hall and auditorium, was added in 1915. It featured a dome constructed by Rafael Guastavino. In 1926 the Eckley B. Coxe, Jr. Egyptian Wing opened, followed by the Administrative Wing (nowadays called the "Sharpe" Wing after the third floor gallery bearing that name) in 1929. Building activity stopped after 1929 until construction began on the Academic Wing in 1969. This section, designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates is the only part of the building that deviates from the original plan by Wilson Eyre. It opened in 1971. The collection consists of four series in nine boxes with additional oversize items in the plans and map cases.
title
Museum Building Records
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0002
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
4.8 linear foot
inclusive date
1892-2007
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The first section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum building, designed to exhibit the large archaeological and ethnological collections amassed in the preceding twelve years, was opened in 1899. The architects, Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope and Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day and Brother, envisioned this first section as the westernmost wing of an immense building, at least three times the size of the present museum. The second section, the Harrison Rotunda, consisting of the exhibit hall and auditorium, was added in 1915. It featured a dome constructed by Rafael Guastavino. In 1926 the Eckley B. Coxe, Jr. Egyptian Wing opened, followed by the Administrative Wing (nowadays called the "Sharpe" Wing after the third floor gallery bearing that name) in 1929. Building activity stopped after 1929 until construction began on the Academic Wing in 1969. This section, designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates is the only part of the building that deviates from the original plan by Wilson Eyre. It opened in 1971. The collection consists of four series in nine boxes with additional oversize items in the plans and map cases.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Conyers, Christopher B. Cope , Walter, 1860-1902 Coxe, Jr., Eckley B., b. 1872-d. 1916 Craig, Richard T. Day, Frank Miles, 1861-1918 Eyre, Jr., Wilson, 1858-1944 Furness, William H., III Guastavino, Rafael, 1842-1908 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 Mitchell/Giurgola Associates. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Stewardson, John, 1858-1896
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1881-1900
Creator:
Haynes, John Henry
Hilprecht, H. V. (Hermann Vollrat), 1859-1925
Peters, John P. (John Punnett), 1852-1921
Extent: 20 linear feet
In 1887, the University of Pennsylvania agreed to sponsor an expedition to the Near East. The idea was conceived by Reverend John Punnett Peters, University of Pennsylvania Professor of Hebrew. Nippur was a pre-Biblical city-state located in the region between the Tigris and Euphrates, the area believed to be the "cradle of civilization." The museum conducted four expeditions between 1889 and 1898. The textual records for Nippur consist of 20 linear feet of files are arranged by Expedition (I, II, III, IV), as well as publications, maps and drawings. The documents for each expedition are separated according to type: Field Notes, Reports and Narratives, Correspondence, Financial Records.
title
Nippur, Iraq expedition records
creator
Haynes, John Henry Hilprecht, H. V. (Hermann Vollrat), 1859-1925 Peters, John P. (John Punnett), 1852-1921
id
PU-Mu. 1017
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
20 linear feet
inclusive date
1881-1900
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
In 1887, the University of Pennsylvania agreed to sponsor an expedition to the Near East. The idea was conceived by Reverend John Punnett Peters, University of Pennsylvania Professor of Hebrew. Nippur was a pre-Biblical city-state located in the region between the Tigris and Euphrates, the area believed to be the "cradle of civilization." The museum conducted four expeditions between 1889 and 1898. The textual records for Nippur consist of 20 linear feet of files are arranged by Expedition (I, II, III, IV), as well as publications, maps and drawings. The documents for each expedition are separated according to type: Field Notes, Reports and Narratives, Correspondence, Financial Records.
date_facet
1880s 1890s 1900s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Haynes, John Henry Hilprecht, H. V. (Hermann Vollrat), 1859-1925 Peters, John P. (John Punnett), 1852-1921 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Haynes, John Henry Hilprecht, H. V. (Hermann Vollrat), 1859-1925 Peters, John P. (John Punnett), 1852-1921 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Field notes Maps
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1893-1981
Creator:
Bruckner, Geraldine M., b. 1901-d. 1982
Extent: 4.2 linear feet
From the earliest days the Museum of the University of Pennsylvania kept records of the artifacts donated and acquired through expeditions. This was originally the responsibility of the curator in each section and resulted in huge, hand-written registers of the collections. In 1929, the system was transferred to a centralized numerical card catalogue under the supervision of Geraldine M. Bruckner the Museum's first Registrar. The responsibilities of the Registrar included insurance, shipping and loans as well as numbering and describing collections. The records of the Office of the Registrar fill seven archival boxes and one card file. The materials did not have an innate order when processed but like documents were filed together in processing and the series describe the major duties of the office. The condition of the materials is fair to good with some flaking of paper due to age and storage problems. Series for the Office of the Registrar include correspondence, insurance, shipping, loans, accessions, deaccessions and receipts.
title
Records of the Registrar's Office
creator
Bruckner, Geraldine M., b. 1901-d. 1982
id
PU-Mu. 0007
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
4.2 linear feet
inclusive date
1893-1981
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
From the earliest days the Museum of the University of Pennsylvania kept records of the artifacts donated and acquired through expeditions. This was originally the responsibility of the curator in each section and resulted in huge, hand-written registers of the collections. In 1929, the system was transferred to a centralized numerical card catalogue under the supervision of Geraldine M. Bruckner the Museum's first Registrar. The responsibilities of the Registrar included insurance, shipping and loans as well as numbering and describing collections. The records of the Office of the Registrar fill seven archival boxes and one card file. The materials did not have an innate order when processed but like documents were filed together in processing and the series describe the major duties of the office. The condition of the materials is fair to good with some flaking of paper due to age and storage problems. Series for the Office of the Registrar include correspondence, insurance, shipping, loans, accessions, deaccessions and receipts.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Bruckner, Geraldine M., b. 1901-d. 1982 Bruckner, Geraldine M., b. 1901-d. 1982
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • NextLast »