University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered All names: Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 3 out of 3  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1826-1995
(Bulk: 1898-1960)
Extent: 16 linear feet
The American Section was one of the first to evolve during the early development of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. The University Archaeological Association established in 1887 and later, the American Exploration Society, established in 1892, exhibited several small collections in College Hall before the building campaign for the museum began. Charles Abbott was the first curator of the section succeeded by Henry C. Mercer and then Stewart Culin who was also named Director in 1899. Each succeeding curator was responsible for adding collections, many of them representing their own expeditions in the United States, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and South America. Records in the files are dated from 1826 through the 1980s. The transfer of materials to the Archives took place piecemeal and without a central organization. The current re-processing placed the files into three series, Deaccessions and Loans, Collectors and Collections and Exhibits.
title
American Section
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0044
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1826-1995
bulk date
1898-1960
abstract/scope/contents
The American Section was one of the first to evolve during the early development of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. The University Archaeological Association established in 1887 and later, the American Exploration Society, established in 1892, exhibited several small collections in College Hall before the building campaign for the museum began. Charles Abbott was the first curator of the section succeeded by Henry C. Mercer and then Stewart Culin who was also named Director in 1899. Each succeeding curator was responsible for adding collections, many of them representing their own expeditions in the United States, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and South America. Records in the files are dated from 1826 through the 1980s. The transfer of materials to the Archives took place piecemeal and without a central organization. The current re-processing placed the files into three series, Deaccessions and Loans, Collectors and Collections and Exhibits.
date_facet
1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Abbott, Charles C., 1843-1919 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Bruckner, Geraldine M., b. 1901-d. 1982 Coe, William R. , 1926-2009 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Dyson, Robert H., 1927- Eyman, Frances, 1921-1949 Farabee, William Curtis, b. 1865-d. 1925 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Kidder, Alfred Vincent, 1885-1963 King, Mary Elizabeth, b. 1929 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Mercer, Henry C., 1856-1930 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Possehl, , Gregory L., Dr., b. 1941 Rainey, Froelich, Director of the University Museum Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978 Shotridge, Louis Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1887-1910
(Bulk: 1891-1906)
Creator:
Pepper, William, 1843-1898
Extent: 2.8 linear foot (the board of managers records fill seven archival boxes plus a few oversize pieces)
William Pepper, originally a Provost of the University of Pennsylvania, was the visionary behind the establishment of the University Archaeological Association in 1889, and the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology in 1891, the precursors to the University Museum. The groups were composed of wealthy Philadelphians, interested in the ancient world, and capable of soliciting subscriptions to the Associations from their friends and colleagues. The University's sponsorship of an expedition to Nippur, Babylonia in 1887, financed by private funds was the impetus for Pepper to work toward the establishment of organizations to support exploration and house artifacts from the ancient world. With the need for a fire-proof building to house the finds, supported by the Trustees, College Hall was designated as the first repository in response to a request from William Pepper. By 1892, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania, was operating under an independent Board of Managers whose first President was Joseph Leidy. Pepper himself became President of the Department in 1894, working tirelessly along with Sara Yorke Stevenson, toward the funding and building of the Free Museum of Science and Art. Toward this goal, the American Exploration Society was created as an independent funding organization for the recovery of artifacts and the establishment of a museum of archaeology. The Board of Managers records consists of seven boxes of correspondence and financial records spanning the creation of the University Archaeological Association, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, the American Exploration Society and the Museum. The records are organized first by the entities that preceeded the museum and contributed to its creation. The next group of records are organized by the tenure of the Presidents of the Board of Managers.
title
Board of Managers
creator
Pepper, William, 1843-1898
id
PU-Mu. 0001.01
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.8 linear foot (the board of managers records fill seven archival boxes plus a few oversize pieces)
inclusive date
1887-1910
bulk date
1891-1906
abstract/scope/contents
William Pepper, originally a Provost of the University of Pennsylvania, was the visionary behind the establishment of the University Archaeological Association in 1889, and the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology in 1891, the precursors to the University Museum. The groups were composed of wealthy Philadelphians, interested in the ancient world, and capable of soliciting subscriptions to the Associations from their friends and colleagues. The University's sponsorship of an expedition to Nippur, Babylonia in 1887, financed by private funds was the impetus for Pepper to work toward the establishment of organizations to support exploration and house artifacts from the ancient world. With the need for a fire-proof building to house the finds, supported by the Trustees, College Hall was designated as the first repository in response to a request from William Pepper. By 1892, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania, was operating under an independent Board of Managers whose first President was Joseph Leidy. Pepper himself became President of the Department in 1894, working tirelessly along with Sara Yorke Stevenson, toward the funding and building of the Free Museum of Science and Art. Toward this goal, the American Exploration Society was created as an independent funding organization for the recovery of artifacts and the establishment of a museum of archaeology. The Board of Managers records consists of seven boxes of correspondence and financial records spanning the creation of the University Archaeological Association, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, the American Exploration Society and the Museum. The records are organized first by the entities that preceeded the museum and contributed to its creation. The next group of records are organized by the tenure of the Presidents of the Board of Managers.
date_facet
1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Baugh, Daniel, 1836-1921 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Coxe, Eckley B., 1839-1895 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Egyptian Exploration Fund. Flinders-Petrie, W.M., Sir, 1853-1942 Harrison, Charles C., 1844-1929 Hearst, Phoebe Apperson, 1842-1919 Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Strawbridge, Justus C., 1838-1911
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1868-1956
Creator:
Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899
Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967
Extent: 1.2 linear foot (the collection consists of thirteen folders housed in two archival boxes)
Daniel Garrison Brinton is considered one of the founders of modern American Anthropology. He was also the first to hold a professorship in Archaeology in the United States. His library, which includes the Carl Hermann Berendt collection of manuscripts in the indigenous languages of Mexico and Central America, is considered the core of the University of Pennsylvania Anthropology Library. Among the collection are 4515 items; rare illustrations, contemporary photographs, portraits of individual authors, and texts in Spanish, French, Italian, and German. Brinton gathered his information from archival and library studies and did not participate in any archaeological expeditions. This small collection, attributed to Brinton by J. Alden Mason of the University Museum, consists of thirteen folders. Two contain linguistic notes on the Maya languages and another two contain drawings of pottery, objects, sites, and maps of Maya regions, primarily in Mexico. Some of the drawings are believed to be those of Carl Hermann Berendt, purchased by Daniel Brinton for the library at the University. The collection also has four scrapbooks and a book of poems written by Dr. Brinton. The collection is in fragile condition and many of the items are in need of conservation assessment, particularly the Berendt drawings.
title
Daniel Garrison Brinton Collection
creator
Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967
id
PU-Mu. 1098
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.2 linear foot (the collection consists of thirteen folders housed in two archival boxes)
inclusive date
1868-1956
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Daniel Garrison Brinton is considered one of the founders of modern American Anthropology. He was also the first to hold a professorship in Archaeology in the United States. His library, which includes the Carl Hermann Berendt collection of manuscripts in the indigenous languages of Mexico and Central America, is considered the core of the University of Pennsylvania Anthropology Library. Among the collection are 4515 items; rare illustrations, contemporary photographs, portraits of individual authors, and texts in Spanish, French, Italian, and German. Brinton gathered his information from archival and library studies and did not participate in any archaeological expeditions. This small collection, attributed to Brinton by J. Alden Mason of the University Museum, consists of thirteen folders. Two contain linguistic notes on the Maya languages and another two contain drawings of pottery, objects, sites, and maps of Maya regions, primarily in Mexico. Some of the drawings are believed to be those of Carl Hermann Berendt, purchased by Daniel Brinton for the library at the University. The collection also has four scrapbooks and a book of poems written by Dr. Brinton. The collection is in fragile condition and many of the items are in need of conservation assessment, particularly the Berendt drawings.
date_facet
1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Berendt, Carl Hermann, 1817-1878 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Guzman, Panteleon de, 1652-1708
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drawings (visual works)