University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered All names: Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 7 out of 7  
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
1923-2000, undated
Creator:
American Law Institute
Extent: 8 linear feet
The American Law Institute (ALI) was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American law. An association of practitioners and scholars known as the “Committee on the Establishment of a Permanent Organization for Improvement of Law” published a study that recommended a lawyers’ organization be formed to improve the law and its administration. The committee was chaired by Elihu Root and counted Learned Hand, Benjamin Cardozo, and Samuel Williston among its members. This photograph collection is comprised of portraits of ALI directors, presidents, members, and staff. Also included are photographs from the Annual Meeting, including the 1st Annual Meeting in 1923.
title
American Law Institute Photograph Collection
creator
American Law Institute
id
PU-L.ALI.11.001
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
8 linear feet
inclusive date
1923-2000, undated
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The American Law Institute (ALI) was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American law. An association of practitioners and scholars known as the “Committee on the Establishment of a Permanent Organization for Improvement of Law” published a study that recommended a lawyers’ organization be formed to improve the law and its administration. The committee was chaired by Elihu Root and counted Learned Hand, Benjamin Cardozo, and Samuel Williston among its members. This photograph collection is comprised of portraits of ALI directors, presidents, members, and staff. Also included are photographs from the Annual Meeting, including the 1st Annual Meeting in 1923.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute Casner, A. James, (Andrew James) 1907-1990 Demott, Deborah A. Ellman, Ira Mark Goodrich, Herbert F. (Herbert Funk), 1889-1962 Greenwald, Michael Hazard, Geoffrey C. Keedy, Edwin R. (Edwin Roulette), 1880-1958 Klonoff, Robert H. Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949 Mikell, William E., 1894- Pepper, George Wharton, 1867-1961 Root, Elihu Schnader, William A. (William Abraham), 1886-1968 Twerski, Aaron D.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
1923-1999
Creator:
American Law Institute
Extent: 55.25 linear feet
The Executive Office of the American Law Institute (ALI) performs the organization's major administrative functions, including fundraising, negotiating publication of ALI materials, and coordinating ALI projects. With most of the Reporters located at institutions all over the world, the office also serves as the central depository for the collection of records related to ALI projects. The collection, 1923-1999, primarily includes letters written by and received from staff in the ALI's Executive Office, including the Director and Deputy Director. For more detailed information about the scope and content of this collection, please consult the individual series.
title
Executive Office
creator
American Law Institute
id
PU-L.ALI.02
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
55.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1923-1999
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Executive Office of the American Law Institute (ALI) performs the organization's major administrative functions, including fundraising, negotiating publication of ALI materials, and coordinating ALI projects. With most of the Reporters located at institutions all over the world, the office also serves as the central depository for the collection of records related to ALI projects. The collection, 1923-1999, primarily includes letters written by and received from staff in the ALI's Executive Office, including the Director and Deputy Director. For more detailed information about the scope and content of this collection, please consult the individual series.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute Goodrich, Herbert F. (Herbert Funk), 1889-1962 Hazard, Geoffrey C. Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949 Wechsler, Herbert, 1909-2000
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
University Archives and Records Center [Contact Us]
1854-1943
(Bulk: 1891-1927)
Creator:
University of Pennsylvania. Office of the Provost.,
Extent: 5.5 cubic feet
Charles Custis Harrison was Provost at the University of Pennsylvania 1894-1910, a time of expansive growth for the University, especially in the number of buildings added to the campus. Using his extensive personal contacts from his business and political associates, Harrison raised funds (making large contributions himself) for dormitories as well as Houston Hall, the University Museum, the Medical Laboratory, the Law, Engineering, and Dental School buildings from the wealthy of Philadelphia society. The Charles Custis Harrison Files of the Office of the Provost Records document his activities as Provost of the University of Pennsylvania and as Vice President and President of the Board of Directors of the University Museum. This collection though part of the Office of the Provost Records, includes material from almost all aspects of Harrison's career with the University of Pennsylvania.
title
Office of the Provost Records. Charles C. Harrison Administration
creator
University of Pennsylvania. Office of the Provost.,
id
PU-Ar.UPA 6.2H
repository
University of Pennsylvania University Archives and Records Center
extent
5.5 cubic feet
inclusive date
1854-1943
bulk date
1891-1927
abstract/scope/contents
Charles Custis Harrison was Provost at the University of Pennsylvania 1894-1910, a time of expansive growth for the University, especially in the number of buildings added to the campus. Using his extensive personal contacts from his business and political associates, Harrison raised funds (making large contributions himself) for dormitories as well as Houston Hall, the University Museum, the Medical Laboratory, the Law, Engineering, and Dental School buildings from the wealthy of Philadelphia society. The Charles Custis Harrison Files of the Office of the Provost Records document his activities as Provost of the University of Pennsylvania and as Vice President and President of the Board of Directors of the University Museum. This collection though part of the Office of the Provost Records, includes material from almost all aspects of Harrison's career with the University of Pennsylvania.
date_facet
1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s
language_facet
English
name_facet
University of Pennsylvania. Office of the Provost. Clark, Clarence H., (Clarence Howard), 1833-1906 Clark, Edward W., 1828-1904 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Frazier, Charles H., (Charles Harrison), 1870-1936 Gordon, G. B., (George Byron), 1870-1927 Harrison, Charles Custis, 1844-1929 Harrison, Ellen N., (Ellen Nixon), 1846-1922 Haynes, John Henry, 1849-1910 Hilprecht, H. V., (Hermann Vollrat), 1859-1925 Hovenden, Thomas, 1840-1895 Jastrow, Morris, 1861-1921 Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949 Merrick, J. Hartley, (James Hartley), 1869-1946 Miller, William Otto, 1877-1931 Mumford, Edward W., (Edward Warloch), 1868-1941 National Society of the Colonial Dames of America. Penniman, Josiah Harmar, 1868-1941 Peters, John P., (John Punnett), 1851-1921 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Administration.; University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Buildings.; University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Curricula.; University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Faculty.; University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Finance.; University of Pennsylvania. University Museum. Washington Memorial Chapel (Valley Forge, Pa.).
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
1924-2008
Creator:
American Law Institute
Extent: 4.5 linear feet
In the midst of World War II, the American Law Institute convened a committee in 1941 to study the international community's position regarding human rights law. The committee's charge was to develop a Statement of Essential Human Rights. William Draper Lewis, then Director of the American Law Institute, was chair of the committee and the project's most outspoken advocate, touring the world to deliver speeches on the importance of a code of basic human rights. International in scope and in participation, the committee included representatives from Britain, Canada, China, France, pre-Nazi Germany, Italy, India, Latin America, Poland, Soviet Russia, Spain, and Syria. A version of the Statement of Essential Human Rights was finalized in 1945. The collection, 1929-1987 and undated, includes research material, constitutions, letters, conference and meeting material, drafts, publications, the writings of William Draper Lewis, and other records related to the drafting of the Statement of Essential Human Rights, finalized in 1945. The bulk of the records spans the years 1941 to 1945.
title
Statement of Essential Human Rights Project Records
creator
American Law Institute
id
PU-L.ALI.04.006
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
4.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1924-2008
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
In the midst of World War II, the American Law Institute convened a committee in 1941 to study the international community's position regarding human rights law. The committee's charge was to develop a Statement of Essential Human Rights. William Draper Lewis, then Director of the American Law Institute, was chair of the committee and the project's most outspoken advocate, touring the world to deliver speeches on the importance of a code of basic human rights. International in scope and in participation, the committee included representatives from Britain, Canada, China, France, pre-Nazi Germany, Italy, India, Latin America, Poland, Soviet Russia, Spain, and Syria. A version of the Statement of Essential Human Rights was finalized in 1945. The collection, 1929-1987 and undated, includes research material, constitutions, letters, conference and meeting material, drafts, publications, the writings of William Draper Lewis, and other records related to the drafting of the Statement of Essential Human Rights, finalized in 1945. The bulk of the records spans the years 1941 to 1945.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949 United Nations. General Assembly. Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
1935-2003
Creator:
American Law Institute
National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws
Extent: 53.5 linear feet
The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) was the result of a joint project between the American Law Institute (ALI) and the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Law (NCCUSL). Work on the UCC began in 1945 in response to a perceived need by members of both ALI and NCCUSL to consolidate a number of uniform laws, previously enacted by NCCUSL, related to commercial transactions. NCCUSL was established in 1891 for the purpose of codifying state law by creating uniform laws and model acts. ALI was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American Law. The Institute had previously developed a codification of particular areas of the law, known as the Restatement of the Law. Thus, cooperation between ALI and NCCUSL on the UCC presented a likely partnership. The first version of the UCC was approved in 1951. Over the next few years, the states responded to, analyzed, and amended the UCC. In 1961, the Permanent Editorial Board was established to review and help revise the UCC on a continual basis in accordance with the evolving culture of commercial transactions. As a result, the revision of the Uniform Commercial is an ongoing cooperative project between ALI and NCCUSL. The collection, 1935-2003, include historical records, drafts, comments, correspondence, and other materials related to the creation of the Uniform Commercial Code, which consolidated and codified previous uniform laws related to commercial transaction.
title
Uniform Commercial Code Records
creator
American Law Institute National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws
id
PU-L.ALI.04.004
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
53.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1935-2003
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) was the result of a joint project between the American Law Institute (ALI) and the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Law (NCCUSL). Work on the UCC began in 1945 in response to a perceived need by members of both ALI and NCCUSL to consolidate a number of uniform laws, previously enacted by NCCUSL, related to commercial transactions. NCCUSL was established in 1891 for the purpose of codifying state law by creating uniform laws and model acts. ALI was founded in 1923 in response to a perceived uncertainty and complexity in American Law. The Institute had previously developed a codification of particular areas of the law, known as the Restatement of the Law. Thus, cooperation between ALI and NCCUSL on the UCC presented a likely partnership. The first version of the UCC was approved in 1951. Over the next few years, the states responded to, analyzed, and amended the UCC. In 1961, the Permanent Editorial Board was established to review and help revise the UCC on a continual basis in accordance with the evolving culture of commercial transactions. As a result, the revision of the Uniform Commercial is an ongoing cooperative project between ALI and NCCUSL. The collection, 1935-2003, include historical records, drafts, comments, correspondence, and other materials related to the creation of the Uniform Commercial Code, which consolidated and codified previous uniform laws related to commercial transaction.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
American Law Institute National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949 Permanent Editorial Board for the Uniform Commercial Code Schnader, William A. (William Abraham), 1886-1968
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
University Archives and Records Center [Contact Us]
1890-1946
(Bulk: 1890-1910)
Creator:
Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949,
Extent: 3.5 cubic feet
William Draper Lewis graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with a LL.B. and Ph.D. In 1896 Lewis appointed Professor of law and Dean of the Law School. This collection is particularly rich for documenting Lewis' early career. His association with the University of Pennsylvania is well represented.
title
William Draper Lewis Papers
creator
Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949,
id
UPT 50 L667
repository
University of Pennsylvania University Archives and Records Center
extent
3.5 cubic feet
inclusive date
1890-1946
bulk date
1890-1910
abstract/scope/contents
William Draper Lewis graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with a LL.B. and Ph.D. In 1896 Lewis appointed Professor of law and Dean of the Law School. This collection is particularly rich for documenting Lewis' early career. His association with the University of Pennsylvania is well represented.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949 University of Pennsylvania. Law School.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Case files. Clippings. Correspondence. Drafts (preliminary versions). Lecture notes. Letterpress copybooks. Manuscripts (for publication). Scrapbooks. Speeches. Theses.
Biddle Law Library: Manuscripts Collection [Contact Us]
1874-1949
Creator:
Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949, Creator
Extent: 1 linear foot (about 235 items)
William Draper Lewis was born in Philadelphia in 1867. In 1891, he received both a law degree and a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Pennsylvania. In 1892, he became editor of the American Law Register, one of the oldest legal periodicals of the time. That same year, Lewis married Caroline Mary Cope. They had four children, Henry, Alfreda Cope, Anna, and William Draper Jr. and resided in Germantown, Pennsylvania. In 1896, Lewis joined the law department at the University of Pennsylvania as Dean and Professor of Law. Under Lewis' leadership, the law school flourished as he recruited new faculty, broadened the curriculum, and strengthened the collections of the Biddle Law Library. He served as Dean until 1914 but continued on the faculty until 1924. In 1923, Lewis became the founding director of the American Law Institute (ALI). Lewis died in Northeast Harbor, Maine in 1949. The collection, 1874-1949, documents Lewis' personal life and span the years 1874-1949. A letter from Lewis to his mother written at age six and a letter from his son Henry to his widow Carrie written the year after his death are also included. The collection includes letters to and from his wife, children, grandchildren, and friends. The collection documents Lewis' observations and opinions on the current events of his time, and his roles as husband, father, grandfather, and friend.
title
William Draper Lewis Personal Correspondence
creator
Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949, Creator
id
PU-L.MSS.002
repository
University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
extent
1 linear foot (about 235 items)
inclusive date
1874-1949
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
William Draper Lewis was born in Philadelphia in 1867. In 1891, he received both a law degree and a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Pennsylvania. In 1892, he became editor of the American Law Register, one of the oldest legal periodicals of the time. That same year, Lewis married Caroline Mary Cope. They had four children, Henry, Alfreda Cope, Anna, and William Draper Jr. and resided in Germantown, Pennsylvania. In 1896, Lewis joined the law department at the University of Pennsylvania as Dean and Professor of Law. Under Lewis' leadership, the law school flourished as he recruited new faculty, broadened the curriculum, and strengthened the collections of the Biddle Law Library. He served as Dean until 1914 but continued on the faculty until 1924. In 1923, Lewis became the founding director of the American Law Institute (ALI). Lewis died in Northeast Harbor, Maine in 1949. The collection, 1874-1949, documents Lewis' personal life and span the years 1874-1949. A letter from Lewis to his mother written at age six and a letter from his son Henry to his widow Carrie written the year after his death are also included. The collection includes letters to and from his wife, children, grandchildren, and friends. The collection documents Lewis' observations and opinions on the current events of his time, and his roles as husband, father, grandfather, and friend.
date_facet
1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »