University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered All names: Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 18 out of 18  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1826-1995
(Bulk: 1898-1960)
Extent: 16 linear feet
The American Section was one of the first to evolve during the early development of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. The University Archaeological Association established in 1887 and later, the American Exploration Society, established in 1892, exhibited several small collections in College Hall before the building campaign for the museum began. Charles Abbott was the first curator of the section succeeded by Henry C. Mercer and then Stewart Culin who was also named Director in 1899. Each succeeding curator was responsible for adding collections, many of them representing their own expeditions in the United States, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and South America. Records in the files are dated from 1826 through the 1980s. The transfer of materials to the Archives took place piecemeal and without a central organization. The current re-processing placed the files into three series, Deaccessions and Loans, Collectors and Collections and Exhibits.
title
American Section
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0044
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1826-1995
bulk date
1898-1960
abstract/scope/contents
The American Section was one of the first to evolve during the early development of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. The University Archaeological Association established in 1887 and later, the American Exploration Society, established in 1892, exhibited several small collections in College Hall before the building campaign for the museum began. Charles Abbott was the first curator of the section succeeded by Henry C. Mercer and then Stewart Culin who was also named Director in 1899. Each succeeding curator was responsible for adding collections, many of them representing their own expeditions in the United States, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and South America. Records in the files are dated from 1826 through the 1980s. The transfer of materials to the Archives took place piecemeal and without a central organization. The current re-processing placed the files into three series, Deaccessions and Loans, Collectors and Collections and Exhibits.
date_facet
1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Abbott, Charles C., 1843-1919 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Bruckner, Geraldine M., b. 1901-d. 1982 Coe, William R. , 1926-2009 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Dyson, Robert H., 1927- Eyman, Frances, 1921-1949 Farabee, William Curtis, b. 1865-d. 1925 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Kidder, Alfred Vincent, 1885-1963 King, Mary Elizabeth, b. 1929 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Mercer, Henry C., 1856-1930 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Possehl, , Gregory L., Dr., b. 1941 Rainey, Froelich, Director of the University Museum Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978 Shotridge, Louis Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1890-1930
(Bulk: 1893-1903)
Creator:
Frothingham, Arthur L.
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
Extent: 1 linear foot
Although classical, including Etruscan, collections had been donated to the University of Pennsylvania Museum since the early 1890s it was in 1896 that the Museum formally authorized excavations in Italy and the acquisition of Etruscan tomb groups, as well as individual objects, for the Museum. Professor Arthur L. Frothingham of Princeton, then Secretary of the American School of Classical Studies in Rome, was commissioned to represent the Museum in Italy. Most of the tomb groups which Frothingham obtained are from Narce and Vulci, although there are objects from many other sites including Cerveteri, Orvieto, and Civita Castellana. The textual records from the excavations in Italy consist of one linear foot of correspondence, notes, financial accounts, and photographs related to the excavation of Etruscan tombs through which the Museum obtained the majority of its Etruscan collections.
title
Arthur L. Frothingham records from the Etruscan tomb groups excavation
creator
Frothingham, Arthur L. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
id
PU-Mu. 1040
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1 linear foot
inclusive date
1890-1930
bulk date
1893-1903
abstract/scope/contents
Although classical, including Etruscan, collections had been donated to the University of Pennsylvania Museum since the early 1890s it was in 1896 that the Museum formally authorized excavations in Italy and the acquisition of Etruscan tomb groups, as well as individual objects, for the Museum. Professor Arthur L. Frothingham of Princeton, then Secretary of the American School of Classical Studies in Rome, was commissioned to represent the Museum in Italy. Most of the tomb groups which Frothingham obtained are from Narce and Vulci, although there are objects from many other sites including Cerveteri, Orvieto, and Civita Castellana. The textual records from the excavations in Italy consist of one linear foot of correspondence, notes, financial accounts, and photographs related to the excavation of Etruscan tombs through which the Museum obtained the majority of its Etruscan collections.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Frothingham, Arthur L. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Frothingham, Arthur L. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Field notes
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1890-1969
Creator:
Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929
Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
Extent: 1.6 linear feet
The Asian Section collection includes correspondence and receipts all dealing with the donation or sale of artifacts to the Penn Museum from 1890 to 1969. Artifacts are mostly from China, Korea, and Japan. Notable donors include Stewart Culin, William Pepper, Phoebe Hearst, and Worch of Paris, C.T. Loo, and Yamanaka and Co.
title
Asian Section
creator
Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
id
PU-Mu. 0543
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.6 linear feet
inclusive date
1890-1969
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Asian Section collection includes correspondence and receipts all dealing with the donation or sale of artifacts to the Penn Museum from 1890 to 1969. Artifacts are mostly from China, Korea, and Japan. Notable donors include Stewart Culin, William Pepper, Phoebe Hearst, and Worch of Paris, C.T. Loo, and Yamanaka and Co.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Bishop, Carl Whiting, b. 1881-d.1942 Fernald, Helen Elizabeth, b. 1921-d. 1937 Getz, John, b. 1853? Hearst, Phoebe Apperson, 1842-1919 Johnson, Eldridge Reeves, b. 1867-d. 1945 Loo, C.T., b.1880-d.1957 Lyons, Elizabeth, b. 1912-d. 1989 McCartee, Divie Bethune, Dr., b. 1820-d.1900 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Scott, Alexander Scott, Hugh, Senator, b. 1900-D.1994 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Wanamaker, John, 1838-1922 Worch of Paris . Yamanaka and Co..
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1887-1910
(Bulk: 1891-1906)
Creator:
Pepper, William, 1843-1898
Extent: 2.8 linear foot (the board of managers records fill seven archival boxes plus a few oversize pieces)
William Pepper, originally a Provost of the University of Pennsylvania, was the visionary behind the establishment of the University Archaeological Association in 1889, and the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology in 1891, the precursors to the University Museum. The groups were composed of wealthy Philadelphians, interested in the ancient world, and capable of soliciting subscriptions to the Associations from their friends and colleagues. The University's sponsorship of an expedition to Nippur, Babylonia in 1887, financed by private funds was the impetus for Pepper to work toward the establishment of organizations to support exploration and house artifacts from the ancient world. With the need for a fire-proof building to house the finds, supported by the Trustees, College Hall was designated as the first repository in response to a request from William Pepper. By 1892, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania, was operating under an independent Board of Managers whose first President was Joseph Leidy. Pepper himself became President of the Department in 1894, working tirelessly along with Sara Yorke Stevenson, toward the funding and building of the Free Museum of Science and Art. Toward this goal, the American Exploration Society was created as an independent funding organization for the recovery of artifacts and the establishment of a museum of archaeology. The Board of Managers records consists of seven boxes of correspondence and financial records spanning the creation of the University Archaeological Association, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, the American Exploration Society and the Museum. The records are organized first by the entities that preceeded the museum and contributed to its creation. The next group of records are organized by the tenure of the Presidents of the Board of Managers.
title
Board of Managers
creator
Pepper, William, 1843-1898
id
PU-Mu. 0001.01
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.8 linear foot (the board of managers records fill seven archival boxes plus a few oversize pieces)
inclusive date
1887-1910
bulk date
1891-1906
abstract/scope/contents
William Pepper, originally a Provost of the University of Pennsylvania, was the visionary behind the establishment of the University Archaeological Association in 1889, and the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology in 1891, the precursors to the University Museum. The groups were composed of wealthy Philadelphians, interested in the ancient world, and capable of soliciting subscriptions to the Associations from their friends and colleagues. The University's sponsorship of an expedition to Nippur, Babylonia in 1887, financed by private funds was the impetus for Pepper to work toward the establishment of organizations to support exploration and house artifacts from the ancient world. With the need for a fire-proof building to house the finds, supported by the Trustees, College Hall was designated as the first repository in response to a request from William Pepper. By 1892, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania, was operating under an independent Board of Managers whose first President was Joseph Leidy. Pepper himself became President of the Department in 1894, working tirelessly along with Sara Yorke Stevenson, toward the funding and building of the Free Museum of Science and Art. Toward this goal, the American Exploration Society was created as an independent funding organization for the recovery of artifacts and the establishment of a museum of archaeology. The Board of Managers records consists of seven boxes of correspondence and financial records spanning the creation of the University Archaeological Association, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, the American Exploration Society and the Museum. The records are organized first by the entities that preceeded the museum and contributed to its creation. The next group of records are organized by the tenure of the Presidents of the Board of Managers.
date_facet
1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Baugh, Daniel, 1836-1921 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Coxe, Eckley B., 1839-1895 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Egyptian Exploration Fund. Flinders-Petrie, W.M., Sir, 1853-1942 Harrison, Charles C., 1844-1929 Hearst, Phoebe Apperson, 1842-1919 Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Strawbridge, Justus C., 1838-1911
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1897-1898
Creator:
Rosher, Charles H.
Extent: 01 linear foot
Charles H. Rosher was a trained engineer who worked with W.M. Flinders Petrie on archaeological sites in Egypt. Flinders Petrie's recommendation of Rosher as a capable engineer to the Penn and Cairo Museums resulted in his employment to remove several monuments from a site in Tanis. As a part of his duties, Rosher was charged with obtaining a permit for the work. As the permit did not materialize, Sara Yorke Stevenson of the Egyptian section of the museum traveled to Cairo to expedite the process. The diplomacy required to obtain the necessary permits and approvals from the Egyptian governing authorities proved too difficult for even Mrs. Stevenson. While embroiled in the process however, she dismissed Rosher to work for three months with Flinders Petrie to gain basic archaeological skills. As fate would have it, due to delays, Petrie was not able to meet with Rosher nor to train him. Rosher did perform some work at Dendereh and surveyed at the Tanis site. A dispute over his request for more money from the museum led to Penn accepting Rosher's resignation. The permit was never issued to Penn to excavate or remove monuments at Tanis. The Charles S. Rosher collection consists of two drawings from his time in Egypt. These tiems are oversize and kept in the map case. The first drawing, done in 1898 for the American Exploration Society shows "Details of some of the Tombs Excavated at Dendera." It is a reproduction of an ink drawing on paper. There are two small copies of the larger work that have been encapsulated. The second drawing is "Dendera Sketch Map of the Ancient Cemetery excavated by W.M.Flinders Petrie on behalf of the Egypt Exploration Fund". The drawing was completed by Rosher from "surveys by himself and W.M. Flinders Petrie" during the years 1897-1898. This map is also a reproduction of an ink drawing on paper.
title
Charles H. Rosher Dendereh records
creator
Rosher, Charles H.
id
PU-Mu. 1007
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
01 linear foot
inclusive date
1897-1898
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Charles H. Rosher was a trained engineer who worked with W.M. Flinders Petrie on archaeological sites in Egypt. Flinders Petrie's recommendation of Rosher as a capable engineer to the Penn and Cairo Museums resulted in his employment to remove several monuments from a site in Tanis. As a part of his duties, Rosher was charged with obtaining a permit for the work. As the permit did not materialize, Sara Yorke Stevenson of the Egyptian section of the museum traveled to Cairo to expedite the process. The diplomacy required to obtain the necessary permits and approvals from the Egyptian governing authorities proved too difficult for even Mrs. Stevenson. While embroiled in the process however, she dismissed Rosher to work for three months with Flinders Petrie to gain basic archaeological skills. As fate would have it, due to delays, Petrie was not able to meet with Rosher nor to train him. Rosher did perform some work at Dendereh and surveyed at the Tanis site. A dispute over his request for more money from the museum led to Penn accepting Rosher's resignation. The permit was never issued to Penn to excavate or remove monuments at Tanis. The Charles S. Rosher collection consists of two drawings from his time in Egypt. These tiems are oversize and kept in the map case. The first drawing, done in 1898 for the American Exploration Society shows "Details of some of the Tombs Excavated at Dendera." It is a reproduction of an ink drawing on paper. There are two small copies of the larger work that have been encapsulated. The second drawing is "Dendera Sketch Map of the Ancient Cemetery excavated by W.M.Flinders Petrie on behalf of the Egypt Exploration Fund". The drawing was completed by Rosher from "surveys by himself and W.M. Flinders Petrie" during the years 1897-1898. This map is also a reproduction of an ink drawing on paper.
date_facet
1890s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Rosher, Charles H. Flinders Petrie, William M. Rosher, Charles H. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1897-1899
Creator:
McIlhenny, Edward Avery, 1872-1949
Extent: 0.1 linear foot
In 1897, Edward Avery McIlhenny pursued an agreement with Dr. William Pepper, President of the Museum of Anthropology and Archeaology at the University of Pennsylvania to gain the museum's support for his own expedition to Point Barrow, Alaska. In return. he agreed to give the museum all of the specimens recovered. McIlhenny worked in Alaska from 1897 to 1899. The Point Barrow Collection consists of three folders of correspondence and catalogues and two boxes of mounted photographs.
title
Edward Avery McIlhenny Alaska Expedition records
creator
McIlhenny, Edward Avery, 1872-1949
id
PU-Mu. 1073
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.1 linear foot
inclusive date
1897-1899
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
In 1897, Edward Avery McIlhenny pursued an agreement with Dr. William Pepper, President of the Museum of Anthropology and Archeaology at the University of Pennsylvania to gain the museum's support for his own expedition to Point Barrow, Alaska. In return. he agreed to give the museum all of the specimens recovered. McIlhenny worked in Alaska from 1897 to 1899. The Point Barrow Collection consists of three folders of correspondence and catalogues and two boxes of mounted photographs.
date_facet
1890s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
McIlhenny, Edward Avery, 1872-1949 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 McIlhenny, Edward Avery, 1872-1949 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Stone, Witmer, 1866-1939
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1888-1926
Extent: 0.4 linear foot (the records of the egypt exploration fund fill one archival box of correspondence and financial records)
Amelia B. Edwards, a novelist and travel writer, traveled in Egypt from 1873 to 1874 to escape bad weather in her native England. Her stay in Egypt inspired the book, A Thousand Miles Up the Nile. A best seller at the time, Edwards story presented a view of nineteenth century Egypt along with descriptions of the previously unknown antiquities of the ancient civilization. After returning to England, Edwards and Reginald Stuart Poole of the Department of Coins and Metals of the British Museum co-founded the Egypt Exploration Fund. Its 1882 mission was to "explore, survey and excavate ancient sites in Egypt and Sudan and publish the results of this work." The work of W.M. Flinders Petrie was of great interest to the amateur Egyptologist Edwards, and she supported Flinders Petrie's appointment as successor to Edouard Naville in Egypt. Petrie arrived in Egypt in 1884 with funds from University College, London. He later became the first Edwards professor of Egyptology at the University of London. Subscriptions to the Fund came from all over the world. An office was founded in Boston to do the work of the fund in the United States. Organizations such as the Free Museum of Science and Art who subscribed to the fund were able to share in the artifacts recovered by Flinders Petrie's work. The Egypt Exploration Fund records fill one archival box. There are seven folders of correspondence and financial records including several circulars from the London and Boston offices of the Fund.
title
Egypt Exploration Fund
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0032
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.4 linear foot (the records of the egypt exploration fund fill one archival box of correspondence and financial records)
inclusive date
1888-1926
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Amelia B. Edwards, a novelist and travel writer, traveled in Egypt from 1873 to 1874 to escape bad weather in her native England. Her stay in Egypt inspired the book, A Thousand Miles Up the Nile. A best seller at the time, Edwards story presented a view of nineteenth century Egypt along with descriptions of the previously unknown antiquities of the ancient civilization. After returning to England, Edwards and Reginald Stuart Poole of the Department of Coins and Metals of the British Museum co-founded the Egypt Exploration Fund. Its 1882 mission was to "explore, survey and excavate ancient sites in Egypt and Sudan and publish the results of this work." The work of W.M. Flinders Petrie was of great interest to the amateur Egyptologist Edwards, and she supported Flinders Petrie's appointment as successor to Edouard Naville in Egypt. Petrie arrived in Egypt in 1884 with funds from University College, London. He later became the first Edwards professor of Egyptology at the University of London. Subscriptions to the Fund came from all over the world. An office was founded in Boston to do the work of the fund in the United States. Organizations such as the Free Museum of Science and Art who subscribed to the fund were able to share in the artifacts recovered by Flinders Petrie's work. The Egypt Exploration Fund records fill one archival box. There are seven folders of correspondence and financial records including several circulars from the London and Boston offices of the Fund.
date_facet
1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Edwards, Amelia B., 1831-1892 Flinders-Petrie, W.M., Sir, 1853-1942 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Naville, Edouard, 1844-1926 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Williams, Talcott, 1849-1928
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1903-1913
Creator:
Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
Extent: 2.75 linear feet
George Byron Gordon, explorer in Central America and Alaska, and first to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Anthropology at the University of Pennsylvania, was born in New Perth, Prince Edward Island, Canada on August 4,1870. Gordon joined the Free Museum of Science and Art(later the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Anthropology and Archaeology)in 1903 as Assistant Curator in the Section of General Ethnology. Gordon was appointed Director of the Free Museum of Science and Art in 1910 and oversaw one of the largest periods of growth in its collection and prestige. The records of the General Ethnology Section fill three archival boxes of alphabetical correspondence. Five bound letter books also record correspondence from 1902 to 1910.
title
George B. Gordon General Ethnology Section Records
creator
Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927
id
PU-Mu. 0066
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.75 linear feet
inclusive date
1903-1913
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
George Byron Gordon, explorer in Central America and Alaska, and first to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Anthropology at the University of Pennsylvania, was born in New Perth, Prince Edward Island, Canada on August 4,1870. Gordon joined the Free Museum of Science and Art(later the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Anthropology and Archaeology)in 1903 as Assistant Curator in the Section of General Ethnology. Gordon was appointed Director of the Free Museum of Science and Art in 1910 and oversaw one of the largest periods of growth in its collection and prestige. The records of the General Ethnology Section fill three archival boxes of alphabetical correspondence. Five bound letter books also record correspondence from 1902 to 1910.
date_facet
1900s 1910s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Boas, Franz, 1858-1942 Coxe, Eckley B., 1839-1895 Furness, William H., III Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Woolley, C. Leonard, Sir, 1880-1960
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1900-1933
(Bulk: 1900-1917)
Creator:
Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943
Hawkes, Harriet B.
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
Extent: 1 linear feet
The textual records from the excavations of Gournia and the papers of Harriet Boyd Hawes consist of one linear foot of correspondence, financial records, field notes and drawings, drafts of lectures and materials for publication, and research notes. The records have been compiled from several sources, none of which contributed a significant original order. Sources of the records include the files of the American Exploration Society, the records of University of Pennsylvania Museum Mediterranean Section Curator Sara Yorke Stevenson, and the papers of Harriet Boyd Hawes, contributed to the Archives on two occasions (in 1973, by her son Alexander Hawes, and in 1993 by her daughter Mrs. Mary Allsebrook via researcher Dr. Vasso Fotou.
title
Gournia, Crete expedition records
creator
Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943 Hawkes, Harriet B. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
id
PU-Mu. 1038
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1 linear feet
inclusive date
1900-1933
bulk date
1900-1917
abstract/scope/contents
The textual records from the excavations of Gournia and the papers of Harriet Boyd Hawes consist of one linear foot of correspondence, financial records, field notes and drawings, drafts of lectures and materials for publication, and research notes. The records have been compiled from several sources, none of which contributed a significant original order. Sources of the records include the files of the American Exploration Society, the records of University of Pennsylvania Museum Mediterranean Section Curator Sara Yorke Stevenson, and the papers of Harriet Boyd Hawes, contributed to the Archives on two occasions (in 1973, by her son Alexander Hawes, and in 1993 by her daughter Mrs. Mary Allsebrook via researcher Dr. Vasso Fotou.
date_facet
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s
bulk_date_facet
1900s 1910s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943 Hawkes, Harriet B. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943 Hawkes, Harriet B.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Field notes
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1895-1975
Creator:
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949
Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948
Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943
Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009
Luce, Stephen B.
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
Extent: 2 linear feet
The curatorial files encompass the period from the Section's inauguration by Museum President William Pepper in 1894 to the 1970s. While the material in the Mediterranean curatorial files dates from 1895 to 1979, the bulk of the collection dates to the earlier years (1895-1949) and within that period, the majority relate to Edith Hall Dohan.
title
Mediterranean Section Curatorial records
creator
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948 Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943 Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009 Luce, Stephen B. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
id
PU-Mu. 0059
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1895-1975
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The curatorial files encompass the period from the Section's inauguration by Museum President William Pepper in 1894 to the 1970s. While the material in the Mediterranean curatorial files dates from 1895 to 1979, the bulk of the collection dates to the earlier years (1895-1949) and within that period, the majority relate to Edith Hall Dohan.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948 Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943 Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009 Luce, Stephen B. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974 Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948 Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943 Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009 Luce, Stephen B. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Faculty papers
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1892-2007
Extent: 4.8 linear foot
The first section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum building, designed to exhibit the large archaeological and ethnological collections amassed in the preceding twelve years, was opened in 1899. The architects, Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope and Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day and Brother, envisioned this first section as the westernmost wing of an immense building, at least three times the size of the present museum. The second section, the Harrison Rotunda, consisting of the exhibit hall and auditorium, was added in 1915. It featured a dome constructed by Rafael Guastavino. In 1926 the Eckley B. Coxe, Jr. Egyptian Wing opened, followed by the Administrative Wing (nowadays called the "Sharpe" Wing after the third floor gallery bearing that name) in 1929. Building activity stopped after 1929 until construction began on the Academic Wing in 1969. This section, designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates is the only part of the building that deviates from the original plan by Wilson Eyre. It opened in 1971. The collection consists of four series in nine boxes with additional oversize items in the plans and map cases.
title
Museum Building Records
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0002
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
4.8 linear foot
inclusive date
1892-2007
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The first section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum building, designed to exhibit the large archaeological and ethnological collections amassed in the preceding twelve years, was opened in 1899. The architects, Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope and Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day and Brother, envisioned this first section as the westernmost wing of an immense building, at least three times the size of the present museum. The second section, the Harrison Rotunda, consisting of the exhibit hall and auditorium, was added in 1915. It featured a dome constructed by Rafael Guastavino. In 1926 the Eckley B. Coxe, Jr. Egyptian Wing opened, followed by the Administrative Wing (nowadays called the "Sharpe" Wing after the third floor gallery bearing that name) in 1929. Building activity stopped after 1929 until construction began on the Academic Wing in 1969. This section, designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates is the only part of the building that deviates from the original plan by Wilson Eyre. It opened in 1971. The collection consists of four series in nine boxes with additional oversize items in the plans and map cases.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Conyers, Christopher B. Cope , Walter, 1860-1902 Coxe, Jr., Eckley B., b. 1872-d. 1916 Craig, Richard T. Day, Frank Miles, 1861-1918 Eyre, Jr., Wilson, 1858-1944 Furness, William H., III Guastavino, Rafael, 1842-1908 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 Mitchell/Giurgola Associates. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Stewardson, John, 1858-1896
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
University Archives and Records Center [Contact Us]
1854-1943
(Bulk: 1891-1927)
Creator:
University of Pennsylvania. Office of the Provost.,
Extent: 5.5 cubic feet
Charles Custis Harrison was Provost at the University of Pennsylvania 1894-1910, a time of expansive growth for the University, especially in the number of buildings added to the campus. Using his extensive personal contacts from his business and political associates, Harrison raised funds (making large contributions himself) for dormitories as well as Houston Hall, the University Museum, the Medical Laboratory, the Law, Engineering, and Dental School buildings from the wealthy of Philadelphia society. The Charles Custis Harrison Files of the Office of the Provost Records document his activities as Provost of the University of Pennsylvania and as Vice President and President of the Board of Directors of the University Museum. This collection though part of the Office of the Provost Records, includes material from almost all aspects of Harrison's career with the University of Pennsylvania.
title
Office of the Provost Records. Charles C. Harrison Administration
creator
University of Pennsylvania. Office of the Provost.,
id
PU-Ar.UPA 6.2H
repository
University of Pennsylvania University Archives and Records Center
extent
5.5 cubic feet
inclusive date
1854-1943
bulk date
1891-1927
abstract/scope/contents
Charles Custis Harrison was Provost at the University of Pennsylvania 1894-1910, a time of expansive growth for the University, especially in the number of buildings added to the campus. Using his extensive personal contacts from his business and political associates, Harrison raised funds (making large contributions himself) for dormitories as well as Houston Hall, the University Museum, the Medical Laboratory, the Law, Engineering, and Dental School buildings from the wealthy of Philadelphia society. The Charles Custis Harrison Files of the Office of the Provost Records document his activities as Provost of the University of Pennsylvania and as Vice President and President of the Board of Directors of the University Museum. This collection though part of the Office of the Provost Records, includes material from almost all aspects of Harrison's career with the University of Pennsylvania.
date_facet
1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s
language_facet
English
name_facet
University of Pennsylvania. Office of the Provost. Clark, Clarence H., (Clarence Howard), 1833-1906 Clark, Edward W., 1828-1904 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Frazier, Charles H., (Charles Harrison), 1870-1936 Gordon, G. B., (George Byron), 1870-1927 Harrison, Charles Custis, 1844-1929 Harrison, Ellen N., (Ellen Nixon), 1846-1922 Haynes, John Henry, 1849-1910 Hilprecht, H. V., (Hermann Vollrat), 1859-1925 Hovenden, Thomas, 1840-1895 Jastrow, Morris, 1861-1921 Lewis, William Draper, 1867-1949 Merrick, J. Hartley, (James Hartley), 1869-1946 Miller, William Otto, 1877-1931 Mumford, Edward W., (Edward Warloch), 1868-1941 National Society of the Colonial Dames of America. Penniman, Josiah Harmar, 1868-1941 Peters, John P., (John Punnett), 1851-1921 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Administration.; University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Buildings.; University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Curricula.; University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Faculty.; University of Pennsylvania. -- General subdivision--Finance.; University of Pennsylvania. University Museum. Washington Memorial Chapel (Valley Forge, Pa.).
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1890-1907
Creator:
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
Extent: 0.8 linear foot (the egyptian section sara yorke stevenson records consist of two archival boxes of correspondence, collection information and financial records)
Sara Yorke Stevenson, the first curator of the Egyptian section of the Free Museum of Science and Art, was a vital force in the creation and success of the museum. Along with William Pepper, Stevenson worked tirelessly through the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology and the American Exploration Society to gain subscriptions, build the Museum and acquire a collection of antiquities. In addition to being the first curator of the Egyptian Section, Stevenson was the Secretary of the Board of Managers and of the American Exploration Society. She served as President of the Board from 1904 to 1905. While Stevenson was performing the dual role of Secretary of the Board of Managers and Curator, the museum relied on the London-based Egypt Exploration Fund to provide a share of the findings of archaeologist W.M. Flinders Petrie to the museum. Stevenson cultivated a relationship with Flinders Petrie and well connected Egyptians such as Yacoub Artin Pasha. Mrs Stevenson traveled to Egypt in 1898 cementing connections and investigating other possible sites for exploration. The Egyptian Section Sara Yorke Stevenson records consist of two archival boxes of correspondence, collection information and financial records.
title
Sara Yorke Stevenson Egyptian Section records
creator
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
id
PU-Mu. 0057
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.8 linear foot (the egyptian section sara yorke stevenson records consist of two archival boxes of correspondence, collection information and financial records)
inclusive date
1890-1907
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Sara Yorke Stevenson, the first curator of the Egyptian section of the Free Museum of Science and Art, was a vital force in the creation and success of the museum. Along with William Pepper, Stevenson worked tirelessly through the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology and the American Exploration Society to gain subscriptions, build the Museum and acquire a collection of antiquities. In addition to being the first curator of the Egyptian Section, Stevenson was the Secretary of the Board of Managers and of the American Exploration Society. She served as President of the Board from 1904 to 1905. While Stevenson was performing the dual role of Secretary of the Board of Managers and Curator, the museum relied on the London-based Egypt Exploration Fund to provide a share of the findings of archaeologist W.M. Flinders Petrie to the museum. Stevenson cultivated a relationship with Flinders Petrie and well connected Egyptians such as Yacoub Artin Pasha. Mrs Stevenson traveled to Egypt in 1898 cementing connections and investigating other possible sites for exploration. The Egyptian Section Sara Yorke Stevenson records consist of two archival boxes of correspondence, collection information and financial records.
date_facet
1890s 1900s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 American Exploration Society. Egyptian Exploration Fund. Flinders Petrie, William M. Muller, W. Max, 1862 to 1919 Parrish, Dillwyn, 1894-1941 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Ranke, Hermann, 1878-1953 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Wanamaker, John, 1838-1922
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1875-1904
Creator:
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
Extent: 0.4 linear foot
Sara Yorke Stevenson was closely involved with creating both the University Archaeological Association and the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, the two organizations that merged and eventually became the Penn Museum. In 1891, she accepted an appointment as curator of the Egyptian Section; in 1892, she also became curator of the Mediterranean Section. In addition to her curatorial responsibilities, she succeeded Stewart Culin as secretary of the Board of Managers in 1894 and served as secretary until 1904, when she became president and chairman. In early 1905, however, she resigned both from the Board and as curator. The textual records comprising the Sara Yorke Stevenson curatorial subgroup consist primarily of correspondence about developing the Mediterranean collection. These records are divided into two series. Series 1 includes correspondence about acquiring potential collections; Series 2 contains documentation about collections that have been acquired.
title
Sara Yorke Stevenson Mediterranean Section records
creator
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
id
PU-Mu. 0060
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.4 linear foot
inclusive date
1875-1904
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Sara Yorke Stevenson was closely involved with creating both the University Archaeological Association and the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, the two organizations that merged and eventually became the Penn Museum. In 1891, she accepted an appointment as curator of the Egyptian Section; in 1892, she also became curator of the Mediterranean Section. In addition to her curatorial responsibilities, she succeeded Stewart Culin as secretary of the Board of Managers in 1894 and served as secretary until 1904, when she became president and chairman. In early 1905, however, she resigned both from the Board and as curator. The textual records comprising the Sara Yorke Stevenson curatorial subgroup consist primarily of correspondence about developing the Mediterranean collection. These records are divided into two series. Series 1 includes correspondence about acquiring potential collections; Series 2 contains documentation about collections that have been acquired.
date_facet
1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Drexel, Lucy Wharton, b. 1838-d.1912 Frothingham, Arthur L. Hearst, Phoebe Apperson, 1842-1919 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Wanamaker, John, 1838-1922 Williams, Talcott, 1849-1928
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1890-1905
(Bulk: 1898-1905)
Creator:
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
Extent: 0.2 linear foot (the sara yorke stevenson papers consist of seven folders of material in an archival box)
Sara Yorke Stevenson, the first curator of the Egyptian section of the Free Museum of Science and Art, was a vital force in the creation and success of the museum. Along with William Pepper, Stevenson worked tirelessly through the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology and the American Exploration Society to gain subscriptions, build the Museum and acquire a collection of antiquities. In addition to being the first curator of the Egyptian Section, Stevenson was the Secretary of both the Board of Managers and the American Exploration Society. She served as President of the Board from 1904 to 1905. While Stevenson was performing the dual role of Secretary of the Board of Managers and Curator, the museum relied on the London-based Egypt Exploration Fund to provide a share of the findings of archaeologist W.M. Flinders Petrie to the museum. Stevenson cultivated a relationship with Flinders Petrie and well connected Egyptians such as Yacoub Artin Pasha. Mrs Stevenson traveled to Egypt in 1898 cementing connections and investigating other possible sites for exploration. The Sara Yorke Stevenson papers consist of seven folders in one archival box of correspondence, family history, writings and lectures.
title
Sara Yorke Stevenson papers
creator
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
id
PU-Mu. 1162
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.2 linear foot (the sara yorke stevenson papers consist of seven folders of material in an archival box)
inclusive date
1890-1905
bulk date
1898-1905
abstract/scope/contents
Sara Yorke Stevenson, the first curator of the Egyptian section of the Free Museum of Science and Art, was a vital force in the creation and success of the museum. Along with William Pepper, Stevenson worked tirelessly through the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology and the American Exploration Society to gain subscriptions, build the Museum and acquire a collection of antiquities. In addition to being the first curator of the Egyptian Section, Stevenson was the Secretary of both the Board of Managers and the American Exploration Society. She served as President of the Board from 1904 to 1905. While Stevenson was performing the dual role of Secretary of the Board of Managers and Curator, the museum relied on the London-based Egypt Exploration Fund to provide a share of the findings of archaeologist W.M. Flinders Petrie to the museum. Stevenson cultivated a relationship with Flinders Petrie and well connected Egyptians such as Yacoub Artin Pasha. Mrs Stevenson traveled to Egypt in 1898 cementing connections and investigating other possible sites for exploration. The Sara Yorke Stevenson papers consist of seven folders in one archival box of correspondence, family history, writings and lectures.
date_facet
1890s 1900s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Guffey, Joseph F., 1870-1959 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1915-1920
Creator:
Luce, Stephen B.
Extent: 04 linear foot
Stephen B. Luce was a graduate of Harvard College, class of 1909. He completed his Ph.D. in 1913 also at Harvard. In addition to his curatorship at Penn, Luce was an Assistant Director at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens in 1928 and 1930. He was affiliated with the Fogg Museum at Harvard in the 1930s and served as Editor in charge of the American Journal of Archaeology from 1938 to 1941. The Luce folders comprise two series. Series 1 includes general correspondence related to the museum and to his research and Series 2 includes correspondence with art dealers related to specific collections
title
Stephen B. Luce Mediterranean Section records
creator
Luce, Stephen B.
id
PU-Mu. 0073
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
04 linear foot
inclusive date
1915-1920
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Stephen B. Luce was a graduate of Harvard College, class of 1909. He completed his Ph.D. in 1913 also at Harvard. In addition to his curatorship at Penn, Luce was an Assistant Director at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens in 1928 and 1930. He was affiliated with the Fogg Museum at Harvard in the 1930s and served as Editor in charge of the American Journal of Archaeology from 1938 to 1941. The Luce folders comprise two series. Series 1 includes general correspondence related to the museum and to his research and Series 2 includes correspondence with art dealers related to specific collections
date_facet
1910s 1920s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Luce, Stephen B. Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Luce, Stephen B. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1904-1938
Creator:
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949
Extent: 1.6 linear foot
William N. Bates (1867-1949) was born and educated in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Bates curated the Mediterranean Section of the Penn Museum from 1904 to 1911. In 1940, the University of Pennsylvania awarded him an honorary doctorate. The William N. Bates curatorial subgroup consists of two folders of general correspondence from 1904 to 1915.
title
William N. Bates Mediterranean Section records
creator
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949
id
PU-Mu. 0071
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.6 linear foot
inclusive date
1904-1938
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
William N. Bates (1867-1949) was born and educated in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Bates curated the Mediterranean Section of the Penn Museum from 1904 to 1911. In 1940, the University of Pennsylvania awarded him an honorary doctorate. The William N. Bates curatorial subgroup consists of two folders of general correspondence from 1904 to 1915.
date_facet
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1893-1903
(Bulk: 1896-1897)
Creator:
Nuttall, Zelia, 1858-1933
Extent: 1 linear foot
In 1896 the University of Pennsylvania Museum sponsored its first expedition to Russia. The Museum sent Zelia Nuttall (now remembered mainly for her work in the area of Mexican studies) as its representative on a trip to establish cordial relations and a system of exchanges and cooperation, and to obtain archaeological and ethnological specimens by gift or exchange. Nuttall traveled to Moscow, Kiev, Troitzkoi, Rostov, Nijni-Novgorod, and Riga. She also attended ceremonies for the coronation of Nicholas II and there acquired commemorative prints which she donated to the Museum and to Mrs. Hearst. The collection consists mainly of correspondence from Nuttall to William Pepper and Sara Yorke Stevenson, inventories of objects acquired, and images collected at the Pan-Russian Industrial and Art Exhibition at Nijni-Novgorod (modern Gorki).
title
Zelia Nuttall papers
creator
Nuttall, Zelia, 1858-1933
id
PU-Mu. 1056
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1 linear foot
inclusive date
1893-1903
bulk date
1896-1897
abstract/scope/contents
In 1896 the University of Pennsylvania Museum sponsored its first expedition to Russia. The Museum sent Zelia Nuttall (now remembered mainly for her work in the area of Mexican studies) as its representative on a trip to establish cordial relations and a system of exchanges and cooperation, and to obtain archaeological and ethnological specimens by gift or exchange. Nuttall traveled to Moscow, Kiev, Troitzkoi, Rostov, Nijni-Novgorod, and Riga. She also attended ceremonies for the coronation of Nicholas II and there acquired commemorative prints which she donated to the Museum and to Mrs. Hearst. The collection consists mainly of correspondence from Nuttall to William Pepper and Sara Yorke Stevenson, inventories of objects acquired, and images collected at the Pan-Russian Industrial and Art Exhibition at Nijni-Novgorod (modern Gorki).
date_facet
1890s 1900s
bulk_date_facet
1890s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Nuttall, Zelia, 1858-1933 Hearst, Phoebe Apperson, 1842-1919 Nuttall, Zelia, 1858-1933 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Photographic prints
« First • Previous • Next • Last »