University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Penn Museum Archives
Remove
filtered Subject: Person: Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 4 out of 4  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1887-1910
(Bulk: 1891-1906)
Creator:
Pepper, William, 1843-1898
Extent: 2.8 linear foot (the board of managers records fill seven archival boxes plus a few oversize pieces)
William Pepper, originally a Provost of the University of Pennsylvania, was the visionary behind the establishment of the University Archaeological Association in 1889, and the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology in 1891, the precursors to the University Museum. The groups were composed of wealthy Philadelphians, interested in the ancient world, and capable of soliciting subscriptions to the Associations from their friends and colleagues. The University's sponsorship of an expedition to Nippur, Babylonia in 1887, financed by private funds was the impetus for Pepper to work toward the establishment of organizations to support exploration and house artifacts from the ancient world. With the need for a fire-proof building to house the finds, supported by the Trustees, College Hall was designated as the first repository in response to a request from William Pepper. By 1892, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania, was operating under an independent Board of Managers whose first President was Joseph Leidy. Pepper himself became President of the Department in 1894, working tirelessly along with Sara Yorke Stevenson, toward the funding and building of the Free Museum of Science and Art. Toward this goal, the American Exploration Society was created as an independent funding organization for the recovery of artifacts and the establishment of a museum of archaeology. The Board of Managers records consists of seven boxes of correspondence and financial records spanning the creation of the University Archaeological Association, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, the American Exploration Society and the Museum. The records are organized first by the entities that preceeded the museum and contributed to its creation. The next group of records are organized by the tenure of the Presidents of the Board of Managers.
title
Board of Managers
creator
Pepper, William, 1843-1898
id
PU-Mu. 0001.01
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.8 linear foot (the board of managers records fill seven archival boxes plus a few oversize pieces)
inclusive date
1887-1910
bulk date
1891-1906
abstract/scope/contents
William Pepper, originally a Provost of the University of Pennsylvania, was the visionary behind the establishment of the University Archaeological Association in 1889, and the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology in 1891, the precursors to the University Museum. The groups were composed of wealthy Philadelphians, interested in the ancient world, and capable of soliciting subscriptions to the Associations from their friends and colleagues. The University's sponsorship of an expedition to Nippur, Babylonia in 1887, financed by private funds was the impetus for Pepper to work toward the establishment of organizations to support exploration and house artifacts from the ancient world. With the need for a fire-proof building to house the finds, supported by the Trustees, College Hall was designated as the first repository in response to a request from William Pepper. By 1892, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania, was operating under an independent Board of Managers whose first President was Joseph Leidy. Pepper himself became President of the Department in 1894, working tirelessly along with Sara Yorke Stevenson, toward the funding and building of the Free Museum of Science and Art. Toward this goal, the American Exploration Society was created as an independent funding organization for the recovery of artifacts and the establishment of a museum of archaeology. The Board of Managers records consists of seven boxes of correspondence and financial records spanning the creation of the University Archaeological Association, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, the American Exploration Society and the Museum. The records are organized first by the entities that preceeded the museum and contributed to its creation. The next group of records are organized by the tenure of the Presidents of the Board of Managers.
date_facet
1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Baugh, Daniel, 1836-1921 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Coxe, Eckley B., 1839-1895 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Egyptian Exploration Fund. Flinders-Petrie, W.M., Sir, 1853-1942 Harrison, Charles C., 1844-1929 Hearst, Phoebe Apperson, 1842-1919 Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Strawbridge, Justus C., 1838-1911
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1892-1913
Creator:
Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925
Extent: 2.7 linear feet
Hermann Volrath Hilprecht, eminent Assyriologist, arrived in the United States in 1886, summoned by the Sunday School Times to edit their oriental section. He was also appointed Professor of Assyriology at the University of Pennsylvania. The following year, Hilprecht assumned the duties of Curator of the Babylonian and General Semitic section of the Museum of Archaeology at Penn. Hilprecht was the scientific director for the Babylonian expedition to Nippur. In all, he worked on four expeditions, specializing in the interpretation of the cuneiform tablets. The Hermann V. Hilprecht Near East section records consist of five boxes of data. The folders had been previously organized into correspondence, collections, publications and controversy divisions. During processing, the correspondence was placed more appropriately in general, curatorial and publishing subdivisions. The collection folders as well as the majority of the publication data required only placement in chronological order.
title
Hermann V. Hilprecht Near East Section records
creator
Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925
id
PU-Mu. 0062
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.7 linear feet
inclusive date
1892-1913
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Hermann Volrath Hilprecht, eminent Assyriologist, arrived in the United States in 1886, summoned by the Sunday School Times to edit their oriental section. He was also appointed Professor of Assyriology at the University of Pennsylvania. The following year, Hilprecht assumned the duties of Curator of the Babylonian and General Semitic section of the Museum of Archaeology at Penn. Hilprecht was the scientific director for the Babylonian expedition to Nippur. In all, he worked on four expeditions, specializing in the interpretation of the cuneiform tablets. The Hermann V. Hilprecht Near East section records consist of five boxes of data. The folders had been previously organized into correspondence, collections, publications and controversy divisions. During processing, the correspondence was placed more appropriately in general, curatorial and publishing subdivisions. The collection folders as well as the majority of the publication data required only placement in chronological order.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925 Clay, A.T. (Andrew Tobias), 1866-1925 Coxe, Jr., Eckley B., b. 1872-d. 1916 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Haynes, John Henry Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 McHugh, Jane Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Peters, John P. (John Punnett), 1852-1921 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1892-2007
Extent: 4.8 linear foot
The first section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum building, designed to exhibit the large archaeological and ethnological collections amassed in the preceding twelve years, was opened in 1899. The architects, Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope and Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day and Brother, envisioned this first section as the westernmost wing of an immense building, at least three times the size of the present museum. The second section, the Harrison Rotunda, consisting of the exhibit hall and auditorium, was added in 1915. It featured a dome constructed by Rafael Guastavino. In 1926 the Eckley B. Coxe, Jr. Egyptian Wing opened, followed by the Administrative Wing (nowadays called the "Sharpe" Wing after the third floor gallery bearing that name) in 1929. Building activity stopped after 1929 until construction began on the Academic Wing in 1969. This section, designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates is the only part of the building that deviates from the original plan by Wilson Eyre. It opened in 1971. The collection consists of four series in nine boxes with additional oversize items in the plans and map cases.
title
Museum Building Records
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0002
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
4.8 linear foot
inclusive date
1892-2007
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The first section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum building, designed to exhibit the large archaeological and ethnological collections amassed in the preceding twelve years, was opened in 1899. The architects, Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope and Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day and Brother, envisioned this first section as the westernmost wing of an immense building, at least three times the size of the present museum. The second section, the Harrison Rotunda, consisting of the exhibit hall and auditorium, was added in 1915. It featured a dome constructed by Rafael Guastavino. In 1926 the Eckley B. Coxe, Jr. Egyptian Wing opened, followed by the Administrative Wing (nowadays called the "Sharpe" Wing after the third floor gallery bearing that name) in 1929. Building activity stopped after 1929 until construction began on the Academic Wing in 1969. This section, designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates is the only part of the building that deviates from the original plan by Wilson Eyre. It opened in 1971. The collection consists of four series in nine boxes with additional oversize items in the plans and map cases.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Conyers, Christopher B. Cope , Walter, 1860-1902 Coxe, Jr., Eckley B., b. 1872-d. 1916 Craig, Richard T. Day, Frank Miles, 1861-1918 Eyre, Jr., Wilson, 1858-1944 Furness, William H., III Guastavino, Rafael, 1842-1908 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 Mitchell/Giurgola Associates. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Stewardson, John, 1858-1896
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1904-1938
Creator:
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949
Extent: 1.6 linear foot
William N. Bates (1867-1949) was born and educated in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Bates curated the Mediterranean Section of the Penn Museum from 1904 to 1911. In 1940, the University of Pennsylvania awarded him an honorary doctorate. The William N. Bates curatorial subgroup consists of two folders of general correspondence from 1904 to 1915.
title
William N. Bates Mediterranean Section records
creator
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949
id
PU-Mu. 0071
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.6 linear foot
inclusive date
1904-1938
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
William N. Bates (1867-1949) was born and educated in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Bates curated the Mediterranean Section of the Penn Museum from 1904 to 1911. In 1940, the University of Pennsylvania awarded him an honorary doctorate. The William N. Bates curatorial subgroup consists of two folders of general correspondence from 1904 to 1915.
date_facet
1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »