University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: University of Pennsylvania
Remove
filtered Subject: Corporate name: Egyptian Exploration Fund.
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 2 out of 2  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1887-1910
(Bulk: 1891-1906)
Creator:
Pepper, William, 1843-1898
Extent: 2.8 linear foot (the board of managers records fill seven archival boxes plus a few oversize pieces)
William Pepper, originally a Provost of the University of Pennsylvania, was the visionary behind the establishment of the University Archaeological Association in 1889, and the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology in 1891, the precursors to the University Museum. The groups were composed of wealthy Philadelphians, interested in the ancient world, and capable of soliciting subscriptions to the Associations from their friends and colleagues. The University's sponsorship of an expedition to Nippur, Babylonia in 1887, financed by private funds was the impetus for Pepper to work toward the establishment of organizations to support exploration and house artifacts from the ancient world. With the need for a fire-proof building to house the finds, supported by the Trustees, College Hall was designated as the first repository in response to a request from William Pepper. By 1892, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania, was operating under an independent Board of Managers whose first President was Joseph Leidy. Pepper himself became President of the Department in 1894, working tirelessly along with Sara Yorke Stevenson, toward the funding and building of the Free Museum of Science and Art. Toward this goal, the American Exploration Society was created as an independent funding organization for the recovery of artifacts and the establishment of a museum of archaeology. The Board of Managers records consists of seven boxes of correspondence and financial records spanning the creation of the University Archaeological Association, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, the American Exploration Society and the Museum. The records are organized first by the entities that preceeded the museum and contributed to its creation. The next group of records are organized by the tenure of the Presidents of the Board of Managers.
title
Board of Managers
creator
Pepper, William, 1843-1898
id
PU-Mu. 0001.01
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.8 linear foot (the board of managers records fill seven archival boxes plus a few oversize pieces)
inclusive date
1887-1910
bulk date
1891-1906
abstract/scope/contents
William Pepper, originally a Provost of the University of Pennsylvania, was the visionary behind the establishment of the University Archaeological Association in 1889, and the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology in 1891, the precursors to the University Museum. The groups were composed of wealthy Philadelphians, interested in the ancient world, and capable of soliciting subscriptions to the Associations from their friends and colleagues. The University's sponsorship of an expedition to Nippur, Babylonia in 1887, financed by private funds was the impetus for Pepper to work toward the establishment of organizations to support exploration and house artifacts from the ancient world. With the need for a fire-proof building to house the finds, supported by the Trustees, College Hall was designated as the first repository in response to a request from William Pepper. By 1892, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania, was operating under an independent Board of Managers whose first President was Joseph Leidy. Pepper himself became President of the Department in 1894, working tirelessly along with Sara Yorke Stevenson, toward the funding and building of the Free Museum of Science and Art. Toward this goal, the American Exploration Society was created as an independent funding organization for the recovery of artifacts and the establishment of a museum of archaeology. The Board of Managers records consists of seven boxes of correspondence and financial records spanning the creation of the University Archaeological Association, the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology, the American Exploration Society and the Museum. The records are organized first by the entities that preceeded the museum and contributed to its creation. The next group of records are organized by the tenure of the Presidents of the Board of Managers.
date_facet
1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Baugh, Daniel, 1836-1921 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Coxe, Eckley B., 1839-1895 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Egyptian Exploration Fund. Flinders-Petrie, W.M., Sir, 1853-1942 Harrison, Charles C., 1844-1929 Hearst, Phoebe Apperson, 1842-1919 Hilprecht, Hermann Volrath, 1859-1925 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Strawbridge, Justus C., 1838-1911
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1890-1907
Creator:
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
Extent: 0.8 linear foot (the egyptian section sara yorke stevenson records consist of two archival boxes of correspondence, collection information and financial records)
Sara Yorke Stevenson, the first curator of the Egyptian section of the Free Museum of Science and Art, was a vital force in the creation and success of the museum. Along with William Pepper, Stevenson worked tirelessly through the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology and the American Exploration Society to gain subscriptions, build the Museum and acquire a collection of antiquities. In addition to being the first curator of the Egyptian Section, Stevenson was the Secretary of the Board of Managers and of the American Exploration Society. She served as President of the Board from 1904 to 1905. While Stevenson was performing the dual role of Secretary of the Board of Managers and Curator, the museum relied on the London-based Egypt Exploration Fund to provide a share of the findings of archaeologist W.M. Flinders Petrie to the museum. Stevenson cultivated a relationship with Flinders Petrie and well connected Egyptians such as Yacoub Artin Pasha. Mrs Stevenson traveled to Egypt in 1898 cementing connections and investigating other possible sites for exploration. The Egyptian Section Sara Yorke Stevenson records consist of two archival boxes of correspondence, collection information and financial records.
title
Sara Yorke Stevenson Egyptian Section records
creator
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
id
PU-Mu. 0057
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
0.8 linear foot (the egyptian section sara yorke stevenson records consist of two archival boxes of correspondence, collection information and financial records)
inclusive date
1890-1907
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Sara Yorke Stevenson, the first curator of the Egyptian section of the Free Museum of Science and Art, was a vital force in the creation and success of the museum. Along with William Pepper, Stevenson worked tirelessly through the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology and the American Exploration Society to gain subscriptions, build the Museum and acquire a collection of antiquities. In addition to being the first curator of the Egyptian Section, Stevenson was the Secretary of the Board of Managers and of the American Exploration Society. She served as President of the Board from 1904 to 1905. While Stevenson was performing the dual role of Secretary of the Board of Managers and Curator, the museum relied on the London-based Egypt Exploration Fund to provide a share of the findings of archaeologist W.M. Flinders Petrie to the museum. Stevenson cultivated a relationship with Flinders Petrie and well connected Egyptians such as Yacoub Artin Pasha. Mrs Stevenson traveled to Egypt in 1898 cementing connections and investigating other possible sites for exploration. The Egyptian Section Sara Yorke Stevenson records consist of two archival boxes of correspondence, collection information and financial records.
date_facet
1890s 1900s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 American Exploration Society. Egyptian Exploration Fund. Flinders Petrie, William M. Muller, W. Max, 1862 to 1919 Parrish, Dillwyn, 1894-1941 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Ranke, Hermann, 1878-1953 Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Wanamaker, John, 1838-1922
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet