University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Subject: Person: Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 1 out of 1  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1928-1964
(Bulk: 1928-1933)
Creator:
Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942
Extent: 5.2 linear feet (the elihu grant beth shemesh excavation records are composed of eight archival boxes of correspondence, notes, notebooks, object and field notes and drawings along with one archival box of mounted photographs, a small file box of object field register cards, a larger flat box with registers from 1928 to 1933 and oversized items stored in the print case and map case )
Located approximately 12 miles west of Jerusalem, this site was originally excavated in 1911 and 1912 by Duncan Mackenzie for the Palestine Exploration Fund. Under the sponsorship of Haverford College, Haverford professor Elihu Grant undertook excavation at this mound from 1928 to 1931 and again in 1933. When the Bet Shemesh (Ain Shems) artifacts, known as the Haverford Collection, were purchased by the University Museum in 1962, the field notes, notes on pottery, plans, drawings, photographs, and correspondence relating to these finds were also acquired.
title
Elihu Grant Beth-Shemesh excavation records
creator
Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942
id
PU-Mu. 1032
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
5.2 linear feet (the elihu grant beth shemesh excavation records are composed of eight archival boxes of correspondence, notes, notebooks, object and field notes and drawings along with one archival box of mounted photographs, a small file box of object field register cards, a larger flat box with registers from 1928 to 1933 and oversized items stored in the print case and map case )
inclusive date
1928-1964
bulk date
1928-1933
abstract/scope/contents
Located approximately 12 miles west of Jerusalem, this site was originally excavated in 1911 and 1912 by Duncan Mackenzie for the Palestine Exploration Fund. Under the sponsorship of Haverford College, Haverford professor Elihu Grant undertook excavation at this mound from 1928 to 1931 and again in 1933. When the Bet Shemesh (Ain Shems) artifacts, known as the Haverford Collection, were purchased by the University Museum in 1962, the field notes, notes on pottery, plans, drawings, photographs, and correspondence relating to these finds were also acquired.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
1920s 1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942 Haverford College. Rowe, Alan, 1892-1968
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence Field notes