University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Subject: Topic: Antiquities
Remove
filtered Date: 1950s
Remove
filtered Form/Genre: Photographs
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 4 out of 4  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1949-1967
Creator:
Coon, Carleton S., b. 1904-d. 1981
Extent: 1.25 linear feet
Carleton Stevens Coon was born on June 23, 1904, in Wakefield, Massachusetts. He graduated from the Phillips Academy in 1921, and then went on to graduate Magna Cum Laude from Harvard University in 1925. Coon then received both his Masters degree and Doctorate degree from Harvard University in 1928. Coon's field work was extensive, including the excavations of five cave sites in Iran (1949-1955), Afghanistan (1954), Syria and Central Africa (1955), and Chad and Libya (1966-1967). Contained in this collection are mostly records that pertain to Coon’s survey and archaeological excavations during 1949-1955 of five cave sites in Iran: Bisitun in Luristan; Tamtama in Azerbaijan; the Khunik rock shelter in Southern Khorassan; and Belt and Hotu in Gorgan.
title
Carleton Coon Papers
creator
Coon, Carleton S., b. 1904-d. 1981
id
PU-Mu. 1141
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1949-1967
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Carleton Stevens Coon was born on June 23, 1904, in Wakefield, Massachusetts. He graduated from the Phillips Academy in 1921, and then went on to graduate Magna Cum Laude from Harvard University in 1925. Coon then received both his Masters degree and Doctorate degree from Harvard University in 1928. Coon's field work was extensive, including the excavations of five cave sites in Iran (1949-1955), Afghanistan (1954), Syria and Central Africa (1955), and Chad and Libya (1966-1967). Contained in this collection are mostly records that pertain to Coon’s survey and archaeological excavations during 1949-1955 of five cave sites in Iran: Bisitun in Luristan; Tamtama in Azerbaijan; the Khunik rock shelter in Southern Khorassan; and Belt and Hotu in Gorgan.
date_facet
1940s 1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Coon, Carleton S., b. 1904-d. 1981 Coon, Carleton S., b. 1904-d. 1981
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Negatives (photographic) Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1947-2008
Creator:
DeVries, Keith, 1937-2006
Kohler, Ellen L., 1916-2008
Sams, G. Kenneth (Gilbert Kenneth)
Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
Extent: 7 linear feet
The Gordion Project collection documents the University of Pennsylvania survey and excavation of the ancient site of Gordion in central Turkey from 1947 until 2008. Collection series include excavation and conservation records under the authority of project directors Rodney S. Young (1950-1974), Keith R. DeVries (1975-1987) and G. Kenneth Sams (1988-2008) as well as fundraising and publication records during this period. Significant gaps and omissions in documentation occur after about 1990. The textual records are followed by photographs from the excavation site taken mostly between 1950 and 1975. Additional graphic material and field notebooks remain to be added to this collection.
title
Gordion Project records
creator
DeVries, Keith, 1937-2006 Kohler, Ellen L., 1916-2008 Sams, G. Kenneth (Gilbert Kenneth) Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
id
PU-Mu. 1163
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
7 linear feet
inclusive date
1947-2008
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Gordion Project collection documents the University of Pennsylvania survey and excavation of the ancient site of Gordion in central Turkey from 1947 until 2008. Collection series include excavation and conservation records under the authority of project directors Rodney S. Young (1950-1974), Keith R. DeVries (1975-1987) and G. Kenneth Sams (1988-2008) as well as fundraising and publication records during this period. Significant gaps and omissions in documentation occur after about 1990. The textual records are followed by photographs from the excavation site taken mostly between 1950 and 1975. Additional graphic material and field notebooks remain to be added to this collection.
date_facet
1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
DeVries, Keith, 1937-2006 Kohler, Ellen L., 1916-2008 Sams, G. Kenneth (Gilbert Kenneth) Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974 Brixhe, Claude Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948 DeVries, Keith, 1937-2006 Dyson, Robert H., 1927- Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009 Kohler, Ellen L., 1916-2008 Kuniholm, Peter I. Payne, Sebastian, b. 1945 Rainey, Froelich, Director of the University Museum Ralph, Elizabeth K., 1911-2000 Sams, G. Kenneth (Gilbert Kenneth) Simpson, Elizabeth, b.1947 Voigt, Mary M., b.1939 Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence Faculty papers Field notes Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1948-1952
Extent: 4 linear feet
The Joint Expedition to Nippur was conducted by the University of Chicago Oriental Institute and the University of Pennsylvania. The collaboration lasted for three seasons until Penn withdrew in 1952. The collection consists of four archival boxes organized into four series.
title
Joint Expedition to Nippur, Iraq
creator
id
PU-Mu. 1024
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
4 linear feet
inclusive date
1948-1952
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Joint Expedition to Nippur was conducted by the University of Chicago Oriental Institute and the University of Pennsylvania. The collaboration lasted for three seasons until Penn withdrew in 1952. The collection consists of four archival boxes organized into four series.
date_facet
1940s 1950s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Coon, Carleton S., b. 1904-d. 1981 Jacobsen, Thorkild, Director, 1904-1933 -- Correspondence Kraeling, Carl Herman, 1897-1966 -- Correspondence Kramer, Samuel Noah, 1897-1990 -- Correspondence McCown, Donald Eugene, 1910- -- Correspondence Rainey, Froelich, Director of the University Museum Steele, Francis Rue, 1915- -- Correspondence
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1931-1950
(Bulk: 1932-1938)
Creator:
Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975
Speiser, E. A. (Ephraim Avigdor), 1902-1965
Extent: 6.25 linear foot
Tepe Gawra is an ancient Mesopotamian settlement in northern Iraq, near the ancient site of Nineveh and fifteen miles northeast of the modern city of Mosul. It was excavated by archaeologists from the University of Pennsylvania, led by E.A. Speiser, who first discovered the site in 1927, and later, C. Bache. The excavations showed that the Tepe Gawra site was occupied from approximately 5000 B.C. to 1500 B.C. The textual records from Tepe Gawra consist of 11.85 linear feet of General Correspondence, Field Notes, Indexes and Catalogues, Field Registers, and Publications, plus Maps and Drawings. Where possible, a chronological order was imposed on the Near East records.
title
Tepe Gawra, Iraq expedition records
creator
Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975 Speiser, E. A. (Ephraim Avigdor), 1902-1965
id
PU-Mu. 1021
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
6.25 linear foot
inclusive date
1931-1950
bulk date
1932-1938
abstract/scope/contents
Tepe Gawra is an ancient Mesopotamian settlement in northern Iraq, near the ancient site of Nineveh and fifteen miles northeast of the modern city of Mosul. It was excavated by archaeologists from the University of Pennsylvania, led by E.A. Speiser, who first discovered the site in 1927, and later, C. Bache. The excavations showed that the Tepe Gawra site was occupied from approximately 5000 B.C. to 1500 B.C. The textual records from Tepe Gawra consist of 11.85 linear feet of General Correspondence, Field Notes, Indexes and Catalogues, Field Registers, and Publications, plus Maps and Drawings. Where possible, a chronological order was imposed on the Near East records.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s
bulk_date_facet
1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975 Speiser, E. A. (Ephraim Avigdor), 1902-1965 Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975 Speiser, E. A. (Ephraim Avigdor), 1902-1965 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Field notes Photographs Site plans
« First • Previous • Next • Last »