University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Date: 1970s
Remove
filtered Date: 1900s
Remove
filtered Subject: Person: Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
Remove
filtered Sort: Date added (descending)
Sort Results By:
hide/display content

Possible Sorts:

Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 3 out of 3  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2017-03-09
1826-1995
(Bulk: 1898-1960)
Extent: 16 linear feet
The American Section was one of the first to evolve during the early development of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. The University Archaeological Association established in 1887 and later, the American Exploration Society, established in 1892, exhibited several small collections in College Hall before the building campaign for the museum began. Charles Abbott was the first curator of the section succeeded by Henry C. Mercer and then Stewart Culin who was also named Director in 1899. Each succeeding curator was responsible for adding collections, many of them representing their own expeditions in the United States, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and South America. Records in the files are dated from 1826 through the 1980s. The transfer of materials to the Archives took place piecemeal and without a central organization. The current re-processing placed the files into three series, Deaccessions and Loans, Collectors and Collections and Exhibits.
title
American Section
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0044
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1826-1995
bulk date
1898-1960
abstract/scope/contents
The American Section was one of the first to evolve during the early development of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. The University Archaeological Association established in 1887 and later, the American Exploration Society, established in 1892, exhibited several small collections in College Hall before the building campaign for the museum began. Charles Abbott was the first curator of the section succeeded by Henry C. Mercer and then Stewart Culin who was also named Director in 1899. Each succeeding curator was responsible for adding collections, many of them representing their own expeditions in the United States, Alaska, Mexico, Central America and South America. Records in the files are dated from 1826 through the 1980s. The transfer of materials to the Archives took place piecemeal and without a central organization. The current re-processing placed the files into three series, Deaccessions and Loans, Collectors and Collections and Exhibits.
date_facet
1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s
bulk_date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Abbott, Charles C., 1843-1919 Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899 Bruckner, Geraldine M., b. 1901-d. 1982 Coe, William R. , 1926-2009 Culin, Stewart, 1858-1929 Dyson, Robert H., 1927- Eyman, Frances, 1921-1949 Farabee, William Curtis, b. 1865-d. 1925 Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Kidder, Alfred Vincent, 1885-1963 King, Mary Elizabeth, b. 1929 Mason, John Alden, 1885-1967 Mercer, Henry C., 1856-1930 Pepper, William, 1843-1898 Possehl, , Gregory L., Dr., b. 1941 Rainey, Froelich, Director of the University Museum Satterthwaite, Linton, 1897-1978 Shotridge, Louis Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2017-03-02
1892-2007
Extent: 4.8 linear foot
The first section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum building, designed to exhibit the large archaeological and ethnological collections amassed in the preceding twelve years, was opened in 1899. The architects, Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope and Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day and Brother, envisioned this first section as the westernmost wing of an immense building, at least three times the size of the present museum. The second section, the Harrison Rotunda, consisting of the exhibit hall and auditorium, was added in 1915. It featured a dome constructed by Rafael Guastavino. In 1926 the Eckley B. Coxe, Jr. Egyptian Wing opened, followed by the Administrative Wing (nowadays called the "Sharpe" Wing after the third floor gallery bearing that name) in 1929. Building activity stopped after 1929 until construction began on the Academic Wing in 1969. This section, designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates is the only part of the building that deviates from the original plan by Wilson Eyre. It opened in 1971. The collection consists of four series in nine boxes with additional oversize items in the plans and map cases.
title
Museum Building Records
creator
id
PU-Mu. 0002
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
4.8 linear foot
inclusive date
1892-2007
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The first section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum building, designed to exhibit the large archaeological and ethnological collections amassed in the preceding twelve years, was opened in 1899. The architects, Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope and Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day and Brother, envisioned this first section as the westernmost wing of an immense building, at least three times the size of the present museum. The second section, the Harrison Rotunda, consisting of the exhibit hall and auditorium, was added in 1915. It featured a dome constructed by Rafael Guastavino. In 1926 the Eckley B. Coxe, Jr. Egyptian Wing opened, followed by the Administrative Wing (nowadays called the "Sharpe" Wing after the third floor gallery bearing that name) in 1929. Building activity stopped after 1929 until construction began on the Academic Wing in 1969. This section, designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates is the only part of the building that deviates from the original plan by Wilson Eyre. It opened in 1971. The collection consists of four series in nine boxes with additional oversize items in the plans and map cases.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Conyers, Christopher B. Cope , Walter, 1860-1902 Coxe, Jr., Eckley B., b. 1872-d. 1916 Craig, Richard T. Day, Frank Miles, 1861-1918 Eyre, Jr., Wilson, 1858-1944 Furness, William H., III Guastavino, Rafael, 1842-1908 Houston, Samuel F., 1867-1952 Mitchell/Giurgola Associates. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Stewardson, John, 1858-1896
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
Date added: 2017-03-02
1895-1975
Creator:
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949
Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948
Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943
Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009
Luce, Stephen B.
Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921
Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
Extent: 2 linear feet
The curatorial files encompass the period from the Section's inauguration by Museum President William Pepper in 1894 to the 1970s. While the material in the Mediterranean curatorial files dates from 1895 to 1979, the bulk of the collection dates to the earlier years (1895-1949) and within that period, the majority relate to Edith Hall Dohan.
title
Mediterranean Section Curatorial records
creator
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948 Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943 Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009 Luce, Stephen B. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
id
PU-Mu. 0059
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1895-1975
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The curatorial files encompass the period from the Section's inauguration by Museum President William Pepper in 1894 to the 1970s. While the material in the Mediterranean curatorial files dates from 1895 to 1979, the bulk of the collection dates to the earlier years (1895-1949) and within that period, the majority relate to Edith Hall Dohan.
date_facet
1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948 Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943 Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009 Luce, Stephen B. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974 Bates, William Nickerson, 1867-1949 Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948 Dohan, Edith Hall, 1877-1943 Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009 Luce, Stephen B. Stevenson, Sara Yorke, 1847-1921 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Correspondence Faculty papers