University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: University of Pennsylvania
Remove
filtered Language: English
Remove
filtered Form/Genre: Card catalogs
Remove
filtered Form/Genre: Field notes
Remove
filtered Sort: Title (descending)
Sort Results By:
hide/display content

Possible Sorts:

Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 9 out of 9  
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1930-1933
Creator:
Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975
Extent: 2.31 linear feet
Tell Billa is located eight miles east of Tepe Gawra and was excavated by the same staff. Because Tell Billa and Tepe Gawra were excavated simultaneosly, records from the excavations are somewhat mixed and should be used together. Although it is difficult to determine amounts of time spent at Tell Billa, emphasis shifted after the third season to the prehistoric layers at Tepe Gawra. When other order is lacking, a chronological order was imposed on the general correspondence according to field season. Related material may be found in correspondence from the Directors Office, Jayne (1929-1940) in the files for Dorothy Cross, George A. Barton, A.S.O.R., and Paul Beidler.
title
Tell Billa, Iraq expedition records
creator
Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975
id
PU-Mu. 1022
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.31 linear feet
inclusive date
1930-1933
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Tell Billa is located eight miles east of Tepe Gawra and was excavated by the same staff. Because Tell Billa and Tepe Gawra were excavated simultaneosly, records from the excavations are somewhat mixed and should be used together. Although it is difficult to determine amounts of time spent at Tell Billa, emphasis shifted after the third season to the prehistoric layers at Tepe Gawra. When other order is lacking, a chronological order was imposed on the general correspondence according to field season. Related material may be found in correspondence from the Directors Office, Jayne (1929-1940) in the files for Dorothy Cross, George A. Barton, A.S.O.R., and Paul Beidler.
date_facet
1930s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975 American School of Oriental Research in Baghdad. Jayne, Horace Howard Furness, 1898-1975 Speiser, E. A. (Ephraim Avigdor), 1902-1965 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence Field notes
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1965-2005
(Bulk: 1980-1996)
Creator:
Possehl, , Gregory L., Dr., b. 1941
Extent: 54 cubic feet (the collection consists of twelve records storage containers of correspondence, thirty-seven records storage containers of original notes and data, plus two file boxes of bibliographic cards and note cards )
Gregory L. Possehl, known for his discoveries in India and Pakistan, was born in Tacoma, Washington in 1941 and studied at the University of Washington and the University of Chicago attaining his Ph.D.in anthropology from the latter in 1974. Possehl's field work in Pakistan and India explored the Harappan civilization who populated the Gujarat region of India including the sites of Rojdi, Oriyo Timbo, and Babar Kot from 2500 BC to 2000 BC. Possehl was funded for his work from the late 1970s to the mid 1990s by the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation. Dr. Possehl is also a noted professor at Penn in the Departments of Anthropology and Oriental Studies and a curator in the Asian section of the Penn Museum. He published award-winning books on the Harappan civilization and trained many future scholars in the field. The Gregory L. Possehl Indus Civilization papers are composed of twelve boxes of correspondence, a seven box visual archive of negatives, slides, photographs and drawings and twenty-three boxes of field data, notebooks, field cards, analysis, professional and publication material and correspondence related to the individual sites and years of the expeditions. There are two small file boxes of notes and a bibliography. Oversize maps, drawings and photographs are placed in eight drawers in the map case.
title
Gregory L. Possehl Indus Civilization papers
creator
Possehl, , Gregory L., Dr., b. 1941
id
PU-Mu. 1067
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
54 cubic feet (the collection consists of twelve records storage containers of correspondence, thirty-seven records storage containers of original notes and data, plus two file boxes of bibliographic cards and note cards )
inclusive date
1965-2005
bulk date
1980-1996
abstract/scope/contents
Gregory L. Possehl, known for his discoveries in India and Pakistan, was born in Tacoma, Washington in 1941 and studied at the University of Washington and the University of Chicago attaining his Ph.D.in anthropology from the latter in 1974. Possehl's field work in Pakistan and India explored the Harappan civilization who populated the Gujarat region of India including the sites of Rojdi, Oriyo Timbo, and Babar Kot from 2500 BC to 2000 BC. Possehl was funded for his work from the late 1970s to the mid 1990s by the Smithsonian Institution and the National Science Foundation. Dr. Possehl is also a noted professor at Penn in the Departments of Anthropology and Oriental Studies and a curator in the Asian section of the Penn Museum. He published award-winning books on the Harappan civilization and trained many future scholars in the field. The Gregory L. Possehl Indus Civilization papers are composed of twelve boxes of correspondence, a seven box visual archive of negatives, slides, photographs and drawings and twenty-three boxes of field data, notebooks, field cards, analysis, professional and publication material and correspondence related to the individual sites and years of the expeditions. There are two small file boxes of notes and a bibliography. Oversize maps, drawings and photographs are placed in eight drawers in the map case.
date_facet
1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
1980s 1990s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Possehl, , Gregory L., Dr., b. 1941 Fairservis,, Walter A., 1921-1994 Possehl, , Gregory L., Dr., b. 1941
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence Field notes Maps Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1947-2008
Creator:
DeVries, Keith, 1937-2006
Kohler, Ellen L., 1916-2008
Sams, G. Kenneth (Gilbert Kenneth)
Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
Extent: 7 linear feet
The Gordion Project collection documents the University of Pennsylvania survey and excavation of the ancient site of Gordion in central Turkey from 1947 until 2008. Collection series include excavation and conservation records under the authority of project directors Rodney S. Young (1950-1974), Keith R. DeVries (1975-1987) and G. Kenneth Sams (1988-2008) as well as fundraising and publication records during this period. Significant gaps and omissions in documentation occur after about 1990. The textual records are followed by photographs from the excavation site taken mostly between 1950 and 1975. Additional graphic material and field notebooks remain to be added to this collection.
title
Gordion Project records
creator
DeVries, Keith, 1937-2006 Kohler, Ellen L., 1916-2008 Sams, G. Kenneth (Gilbert Kenneth) Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
id
PU-Mu. 1163
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
7 linear feet
inclusive date
1947-2008
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Gordion Project collection documents the University of Pennsylvania survey and excavation of the ancient site of Gordion in central Turkey from 1947 until 2008. Collection series include excavation and conservation records under the authority of project directors Rodney S. Young (1950-1974), Keith R. DeVries (1975-1987) and G. Kenneth Sams (1988-2008) as well as fundraising and publication records during this period. Significant gaps and omissions in documentation occur after about 1990. The textual records are followed by photographs from the excavation site taken mostly between 1950 and 1975. Additional graphic material and field notebooks remain to be added to this collection.
date_facet
1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
DeVries, Keith, 1937-2006 Kohler, Ellen L., 1916-2008 Sams, G. Kenneth (Gilbert Kenneth) Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974 Brixhe, Claude Daniel, J. F. (John Franklin), 1910-1948 DeVries, Keith, 1937-2006 Dyson, Robert H., 1927- Edwards, G. Roger, 1914-2009 Kohler, Ellen L., 1916-2008 Kuniholm, Peter I. Payne, Sebastian, b. 1945 Rainey, Froelich, Director of the University Museum Ralph, Elizabeth K., 1911-2000 Sams, G. Kenneth (Gilbert Kenneth) Simpson, Elizabeth, b.1947 Voigt, Mary M., b.1939 Young, Rodney S. (Rodney Stuart), 1907-1974
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence Faculty papers Field notes Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1956-1964
Creator:
Pritchard, James B. (James Bennett), 1909-1997
Extent: 6 linear feet
James Pritchard, first Curator of Biblical Archaeology, Professor of Religious Thought, Associate Director (1967-1976), and Director (1976-1977) at the University of Pennsylvania Museum, conducted his primary fieldwork in three sites in the Near East. Of these, locating the site of Ancient Gibeon (El-Jib) in Jordan was perhaps Pritchard’s most notable accomplishment. He and his team conducted five seasons of fieldwork here, discovering three prominent architectural features: a tunnel, pool, and the city wall. The archival records for these excavations consist six linear feet of field notes, reports, a field diary, correspondence, object catalogues, drawings, photographs and a photographic catalogue, an annotated map, publication notes, and financial records.
title
Gibeon expedition records
creator
Pritchard, James B. (James Bennett), 1909-1997
id
PU-Mu. 1033
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
6 linear feet
inclusive date
1956-1964
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
James Pritchard, first Curator of Biblical Archaeology, Professor of Religious Thought, Associate Director (1967-1976), and Director (1976-1977) at the University of Pennsylvania Museum, conducted his primary fieldwork in three sites in the Near East. Of these, locating the site of Ancient Gibeon (El-Jib) in Jordan was perhaps Pritchard’s most notable accomplishment. He and his team conducted five seasons of fieldwork here, discovering three prominent architectural features: a tunnel, pool, and the city wall. The archival records for these excavations consist six linear feet of field notes, reports, a field diary, correspondence, object catalogues, drawings, photographs and a photographic catalogue, an annotated map, publication notes, and financial records.
date_facet
1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Pritchard, James B. (James Bennett), 1909-1997 Pritchard, James B. (James Bennett), 1909-1997 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence Field notes Photographic prints
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1960-1972
Creator:
Dales, George F.
Extent: 5.5 linear feet
George Franklin Dales was born in Akron, Ohio in 1927. He received his Ph.D. at Penn in 1960 studying the history, art and archaeology of the Middle East. Dales lectured at the University of Toronto from 1961 to 1963. He returned to Penn and was appointed both assistant and then Associate Curator of the South Asian Collection at the Penn Museum and moved from Assistant to Associate Professor in the Department of South Asian Regional Studies. Dales left Penn in 1972 to work at the University of California, Berkeley. The George F. Dales Papers consist of seven archival boxes of data and one card file box. The records are arranged by site-Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ceylon, Thailand and Indonesia.
title
George F. Dales Papers
creator
Dales, George F.
id
PU-Mu. 1066
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
5.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1960-1972
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
George Franklin Dales was born in Akron, Ohio in 1927. He received his Ph.D. at Penn in 1960 studying the history, art and archaeology of the Middle East. Dales lectured at the University of Toronto from 1961 to 1963. He returned to Penn and was appointed both assistant and then Associate Curator of the South Asian Collection at the Penn Museum and moved from Assistant to Associate Professor in the Department of South Asian Regional Studies. Dales left Penn in 1972 to work at the University of California, Berkeley. The George F. Dales Papers consist of seven archival boxes of data and one card file box. The records are arranged by site-Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ceylon, Thailand and Indonesia.
date_facet
1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
English
name_facet
Dales, George F. Dales, George F. Kenoyer, Jonathan M.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence Field notes Photographs
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1930-1972
(Bulk: 1930-1931)
Creator:
Schmidt, Erich Friedrich, 1897-1964
Extent: 1.95 linear feet
Excavation at Fara, initiated by German excavators between 1902 and 1903, was resumed in 1931 by Erich Schmidt, an archaeologist working under the aegis of the University Museum. Since the Museum’s participation was limited to one season which took place between February 15 and May 19, the records pertaining to this excavation are not numerous. The textual records at Fara include general correspondence, field notes, indexes and catalogues, and publications. Where possible, a chronological order was imposed on the records.
title
Fara, Iraq expedition records
creator
Schmidt, Erich Friedrich, 1897-1964
id
PU-Mu. 1020
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
1.95 linear feet
inclusive date
1930-1972
bulk date
1930-1931
abstract/scope/contents
Excavation at Fara, initiated by German excavators between 1902 and 1903, was resumed in 1931 by Erich Schmidt, an archaeologist working under the aegis of the University Museum. Since the Museum’s participation was limited to one season which took place between February 15 and May 19, the records pertaining to this excavation are not numerous. The textual records at Fara include general correspondence, field notes, indexes and catalogues, and publications. Where possible, a chronological order was imposed on the records.
date_facet
1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Schmidt, Erich Friedrich, 1897-1964 Schmidt, Erich Friedrich, 1897-1964 University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence Dissertations Field notes Inventories
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1928-1964
(Bulk: 1928-1933)
Creator:
Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942
Extent: 5.2 linear feet ( )
Located approximately 12 miles west of Jerusalem, this site was originally excavated in 1911 and 1912 by Duncan Mackenzie for the Palestine Exploration Fund. Under the sponsorship of Haverford College, Haverford professor Elihu Grant undertook excavation at this mound from 1928 to 1931 and again in 1933. When the Bet Shemesh (Ain Shems) artifacts, known as the Haverford Collection, were purchased by the University Museum in 1962, the field notes, notes on pottery, plans, drawings, photographs, and correspondence relating to these finds were also acquired.
title
Elihu Grant Beth-Shemesh excavation records
creator
Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942
id
PU-Mu. 1032
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
5.2 linear feet ( )
inclusive date
1928-1964
bulk date
1928-1933
abstract/scope/contents
Located approximately 12 miles west of Jerusalem, this site was originally excavated in 1911 and 1912 by Duncan Mackenzie for the Palestine Exploration Fund. Under the sponsorship of Haverford College, Haverford professor Elihu Grant undertook excavation at this mound from 1928 to 1931 and again in 1933. When the Bet Shemesh (Ain Shems) artifacts, known as the Haverford Collection, were purchased by the University Museum in 1962, the field notes, notes on pottery, plans, drawings, photographs, and correspondence relating to these finds were also acquired.
date_facet
1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s
bulk_date_facet
1920s 1930s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Grant, Elihu, 1873-1942 Haverford College. Rowe, Alan, 1892-1968
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Correspondence Field notes
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1966-1974
(Bulk: 1966-1968)
Creator:
Dyson, Robert H., 1927-
Extent: 2.66 linear feet
Dr. Robert H. Dyson, Jr., Director of the University of Pennsylvania Museum 1982-1994, directed excavations in 1966 and 1968 at Dinkha Tepe in the Ushnu Valley, west Azerbaijan, northwestern Iran. This expedition formed part of the Hasanlu Project. The papers documenting these excavations are for the most part primary reference materials and were deposited as a closed collection in The University of Pennsylvania Museum Archives for safekeeping until publication research begins within the next several years. Records were kept in their original order. The textual records of Dinkha Tepe consist of 2.66 linear feet of excavation notebooks, indexes and catalogues, photographic material, manuscripts, and drawings, maps and plans.
title
Dinkha Tepe expedition records
creator
Dyson, Robert H., 1927-
id
PU-Mu. 1030
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
2.66 linear feet
inclusive date
1966-1974
bulk date
1966-1968
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Robert H. Dyson, Jr., Director of the University of Pennsylvania Museum 1982-1994, directed excavations in 1966 and 1968 at Dinkha Tepe in the Ushnu Valley, west Azerbaijan, northwestern Iran. This expedition formed part of the Hasanlu Project. The papers documenting these excavations are for the most part primary reference materials and were deposited as a closed collection in The University of Pennsylvania Museum Archives for safekeeping until publication research begins within the next several years. Records were kept in their original order. The textual records of Dinkha Tepe consist of 2.66 linear feet of excavation notebooks, indexes and catalogues, photographic material, manuscripts, and drawings, maps and plans.
date_facet
1960s 1970s
bulk_date_facet
1960s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Dyson, Robert H., 1927- Dyson, Robert H., 1927- University of Pennsylvania. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Field notes Inventories Manuscripts for publication Maps Photographic prints Photographs Site plans
Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1915-1949
(Bulk: 1915-1918)
Creator:
Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941
Extent: 7.7 linear foot
Clarence S. Fisher was born in Philadelphia in 1876 and attended the University of Pennsylvania, attaining a degree in architecture in 1897 but devoting his entire life to archaeology. His first archaeology field experience was as the architect for the initial Babylonian expedition to Nippur from 1898 to 1900. This was followed by a research fellowship in Babylonian archaeology at the University Museum. Fisher also worked as an assistant to Harvard Archaeologist, George Andrew Reisner in Egypt and Samaria. From Reisner, Fisher learned archaeological techniques and the methods of meticulous record keeping he would use in his later work. Fisher was appointed a curator of the Egyptian section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum by George B. Gordon in 1914. He spent the next nine years in the field collecting data in Dendereh, Giza, Memphis, and Dra Abu el-Naga. Fisher's expedition to the cemetery at Dendereh re-worked a site that had been explored by Charles S. Rosher and W.M. Flinders Petrie, producing more precise data and a wealth of objects from the burial sites. The Clarence S. Fisher Dendereh expedition records consist of seven archival boxes of correspondence, diaries, notebooks, plans, post-excavation notes and photographs. Additional material includes three card files with tomb notecards and object cards. In addition, there are seven large object register books stored in two boxes and oversize materials stored in the map case.
title
Clarence S. Fisher Dendereh Expedition records
creator
Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941
id
PU-Mu. 1011
repository
University of Pennsylvania Penn Museum Archives
extent
7.7 linear foot
inclusive date
1915-1949
bulk date
1915-1918
abstract/scope/contents
Clarence S. Fisher was born in Philadelphia in 1876 and attended the University of Pennsylvania, attaining a degree in architecture in 1897 but devoting his entire life to archaeology. His first archaeology field experience was as the architect for the initial Babylonian expedition to Nippur from 1898 to 1900. This was followed by a research fellowship in Babylonian archaeology at the University Museum. Fisher also worked as an assistant to Harvard Archaeologist, George Andrew Reisner in Egypt and Samaria. From Reisner, Fisher learned archaeological techniques and the methods of meticulous record keeping he would use in his later work. Fisher was appointed a curator of the Egyptian section of the University of Pennsylvania Museum by George B. Gordon in 1914. He spent the next nine years in the field collecting data in Dendereh, Giza, Memphis, and Dra Abu el-Naga. Fisher's expedition to the cemetery at Dendereh re-worked a site that had been explored by Charles S. Rosher and W.M. Flinders Petrie, producing more precise data and a wealth of objects from the burial sites. The Clarence S. Fisher Dendereh expedition records consist of seven archival boxes of correspondence, diaries, notebooks, plans, post-excavation notes and photographs. Additional material includes three card files with tomb notecards and object cards. In addition, there are seven large object register books stored in two boxes and oversize materials stored in the map case.
date_facet
1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s
bulk_date_facet
1910s
language_facet
English
name_facet
Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Coxe, Eckley B., 1839-1895 Fisher, Clarence Stanley, 1876-1941 Flinders Petrie, William M. Gordon, G. B. (George Byron), 1870-1927 Reisner, George Andrew, 1867-1942
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Card catalogs Field notes Maps Site plans
« First • Previous • Next • Last »