Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Doylestown Historical Society local real estate collection

circa 1955-2013, 48 linear feet

01

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Doylestown Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
Doylestown Historical Society
Creator:
Doylestown Historical Society (Doylestown, Pa.)
Title:
Doylestown Historical Society local real estate collection
Date:
circa 1955-2013
Call Number:
01
Extent:
48 Linear feet
Language:
English
Abstract:
The area now known as Doylestown (Bucks County, Pennsylvania) was given to Edward Doyle as a land grant from William Penn in 1692. Doylestown became the county seat of Bucks County in 1812, and the area flourished when a railroad line was completed between Doylestown and Philadelphia in 1856. Doylestown's historic downtown began to deteriorate in the early 1960s, but the town was revitalized in part due to an architectural preservation movement. The Doylestown Historical Society local real estate collection, circa 1955-2013, contains mostly secondary-source materials--such as real estate listings, narrative house histories, photocopies of original documents with some original photographs--organized alphabetically by street address.
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

Doylestown is the county seat of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Founded in the mid 18th century, it became the county seat in 1813 and was formally incorporated as a borough in 1838.

"Doylestown is named after the Doyle family. The Doyle family originally came from France (the name was D'Ouilli), but moved to Ireland during the Inquisition. Circa 1600 the name was changed to D'Oyley and later was changed again to Doyle. Edward Doyle sailed to America in 1640 and lived for a time in Rhode Island until he moved to Bucks County upon receiving a land grant from William Penn in 1692. He died in 1703. Edward Doyle's children remained in Bucks County and settled in the area of Doylestown. In 1730, Edward Doyle Jr. (born 1690) bought 150 acres of land in what is now Doylestown, and further purchases were made by the Doyle family in 1737. The Doyles built an inn in 1745 and the town was known early on as "William Doyl's Tavern" and "Doyle's Town." In 1752, a second tavern was built, which still stands today (though now much modified). In 1776, the inn was sold by William Doyle (born in 1712, son of Edward Doyle, Jr.), who moved to Plumstead, Bucks County, where he died in 1780. After the sale of the tavern, the town became known by its present name. In 1778, George Washington and his Continental Army camped near Doylestown, on their way from Valley Forge to fight the British in New Jersey. In 1812, Doylestown became the County Seat of Bucks County.

"In 1856, a railroad line was completed between Doylestown and Philadelphia. The present train station dates from 1876. A trolley line was installed that ran to Trenton and Easton. The older part of town is listed on the National Register of Historic Places."

Bibliography:

Quoted text from: Ludwig, Ed. "Brief History of Doylestown." Accessed July 22, 2013. http://www.doylestownhistorical.org/0HistoryDoylestown.htm.

Scope and Contents

This collection of information about Doylestown properties is organized alphabetically by street address. It contains mostly secondary-source materials, principally: real estate ads, computer print-outs of real estate listings, real estate appraisal cards (Bucks County Speedway Appraisal Service), and information cards with photographs from a local real estate office (circa 1955); narrative house histories, research notes, and newspaper clippings; and photocopies of original documents, including blueprints and technical drawings, and sketches/drawings. There are also some original photographs and computer print-outs of photographs.

There was a historic plaque program in Doylestown circa 1980. The files for properties included in that program have correspondence about the plaque and photocopies of corroborating primary-source documents such as deeds.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

Doylestown Historical Society

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories

Sponsor

This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Access Restrictions

Contact Doylestown Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition Note

Files compiled from various sources over time by the Doylestown Historical Society.

Processing Information Note

Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.

In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Doylestown Historical Society directly for more information.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Geographic Name(s)
  • Bucks County (Pa.)
  • Doylestown (Pa.)
Subject(s)
  • Architecture
  • Buildings
  • Historic buildings
  • Historical markers

Return to Top »