Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Date: 1950-2000
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • NextLast »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 50 out of 2595  
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1892-1971
(Bulk: 1967-1968)
Extent: 2.1 linear feet (5 archival boxes)
The "Literary Landmarks of Princeton" Exhibition Collection consists of author files and miscellaneous materials related to the "Literary Landmarks of Princeton" exhibition curated by Alfred L. Bush in 1967. The exhibition chronicled works of fiction, drama, and poetry written in Princeton by over 100 authors from the early 18th century to the mid-1960s. (View full finding aid.)
title
"Literary Landmarks of Princeton" Exhibition Collection
creator
id
C0939
repository
extent
2.1 linear feet (5 archival boxes)
inclusive date
1892-1971
bulk date
1967-1968
abstract/scope/contents
The "Literary Landmarks of Princeton" Exhibition Collection consists of author files and miscellaneous materials related to the "Literary Landmarks of Princeton" exhibition curated by Alfred L. Bush in 1967. The exhibition chronicled works of fiction, drama, and poetry written in Princeton by over 100 authors from the early 18th century to the mid-1960s.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1957
Extent: 0.2 linear feet (1 half-size archival box)
Contains the autograph manuscript and typed manuscript of Leslie A. Fiedler's short story "Nude Croquet." Also included is a screenplay and an outline of action for a film version of the story. (View full finding aid.)
title
"Nude Croquet," Short Story by Leslie A. Fiedler with related material
creator
id
C0156
repository
extent
0.2 linear feet (1 half-size archival box)
inclusive date
1957
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Contains the autograph manuscript and typed manuscript of Leslie A. Fiedler's short story "Nude Croquet." Also included is a screenplay and an outline of action for a film version of the story.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library. Princeton University Archives. 65 Olden Street Princeton, New Jersey 08540 USA [Contact Us]
1859-1989
Extent: 1.3 linear feet (two archival boxes, one 16 x 20 x 3 oversize box)
This collection contains early scores and lyrics to Princeton University's alma mater "Old Nassau" as well as information about the song and the men who created it. (View full finding aid.)
title
"Old Nassau" Collection
creator
id
AC051
repository
extent
1.3 linear feet (two archival boxes, one 16 x 20 x 3 oversize box)
inclusive date
1859-1989
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains early scores and lyrics to Princeton University's alma mater "Old Nassau" as well as information about the song and the men who created it.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Philadelphia History Museum [Contact Us]
1918-1975
Creator:
Rockwell, Norman, 1894-1978
Extent: 2.5 linear feet
The Saturday Evening Post was first published on August 4, 1821 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as a weekly magazine. In 1897, the magazine was purchased by the Curtis Publishing Company. From 1916 to the 1960s, Norman Rockwell (1894-1978) created over 300 paintings for use as Post covers, contributing to his reputation as one of America's favorite native-born artists. The "Saturday Evening Post" covers by Norman Rockwell, 1918-1975, consist of over 300 covers of the Saturday Evening Post featuring Rockwell's illustrations. (View full finding aid.)
title
"Saturday Evening Post" covers by Norman Rockwell
creator
Rockwell, Norman, 1894-1978
id
PHM.23
repository
extent
2.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1918-1975
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Saturday Evening Post was first published on August 4, 1821 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as a weekly magazine. In 1897, the magazine was purchased by the Curtis Publishing Company. From 1916 to the 1960s, Norman Rockwell (1894-1978) created over 300 paintings for use as Post covers, contributing to his reputation as one of America's favorite native-born artists. The "Saturday Evening Post" covers by Norman Rockwell, 1918-1975, consist of over 300 covers of the Saturday Evening Post featuring Rockwell's illustrations.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
University of Pennsylvania: Biddle Law Library: American Law Institute Archives [Contact Us]
1950-1983
Creator:
American Law Institute-American Bar Association Committee on Continuing Professional Education
Extent: 11.75 linear feet
"The Practical Lawyer" was first printed in 1955 by ALI-ABA, the American Law Institute and American Bar Association joint establishment that provides continuing legal education to law professionals. The periodical focuses on educating professionals about issues related to commercial and corporate law, litigation, tax and estate planning, and real estate. The collection, 1950-1983, includes records relating to the creation, management, and operations of the magazine. The majority of the files are correspondence, printed and rejected articles, and subject files relating to different aspects of "The Practical Lawyer." (View full finding aid.)
title
"The Practical Lawyer" Editorial Office Files
creator
American Law Institute-American Bar Association Committee on Continuing Professional Education
id
PU-L.ALI.05.001
repository
extent
11.75 linear feet
inclusive date
1950-1983
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
"The Practical Lawyer" was first printed in 1955 by ALI-ABA, the American Law Institute and American Bar Association joint establishment that provides continuing legal education to law professionals. The periodical focuses on educating professionals about issues related to commercial and corporate law, litigation, tax and estate planning, and real estate. The collection, 1950-1983, includes records relating to the creation, management, and operations of the magazine. The majority of the files are correspondence, printed and rejected articles, and subject files relating to different aspects of "The Practical Lawyer."
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
University of Pennsylvania: Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1950-1975
(Bulk: 1950-1966)
Creator:
Rainey, Froelich, Director of the University Museum
Extent: 2.91 linear feet
title
"What in the World" television program records
creator
Rainey, Froelich, Director of the University Museum
id
PU-Mu. 0039
repository
extent
2.91 linear feet
inclusive date
1950-1975
bulk date
1950-1966
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
1st Regiment Infantry Museum [Contact Us]
1812-1970
Creator:
Pennsylvania. Army National Guard. 1st Infantry Regiment.
Extent: 16 linear feet
The First Regiment Infantry, Pennsylvania, or "The Dandy First," is considered by some to be the oldest continuously existing troop in the United States National Guard, and the only existing Pennsylvania unit that served in the Continental Army. The unit, which today is known as the 103rd Engineer Battalion, Pennsylvania Army National Guard, has fought in nearly every major American battle beginning with the Revolutionary War. The 1st Regiment Infantry, Pennsylvania records, 1812-1970, consist of about 100 record books of the regiment and its predecessor and successor units, as well as several photograph albums and scrapbooks. (View full finding aid.)
title
1st Regiment Infantry, Pennsylvania records
creator
Pennsylvania. Army National Guard. 1st Infantry Regiment.
id
1R.02
repository
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1812-1970
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The First Regiment Infantry, Pennsylvania, or "The Dandy First," is considered by some to be the oldest continuously existing troop in the United States National Guard, and the only existing Pennsylvania unit that served in the Continental Army. The unit, which today is known as the 103rd Engineer Battalion, Pennsylvania Army National Guard, has fought in nearly every major American battle beginning with the Revolutionary War. The 1st Regiment Infantry, Pennsylvania records, 1812-1970, consist of about 100 record books of the regiment and its predecessor and successor units, as well as several photograph albums and scrapbooks.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Free Library of Philadelphia: Rare Book Department [Contact Us]
1808-1966
(Bulk: 1892-1941)
Creator:
Newton, A. Edward (Alfred Edward), 1864-1940, Author
Newton, E. Swift (Edward Swift), Compiler
Extent: 8 linear feet
This collection consists of the personal and professional papers of Philadelphia book collector A. Edward Newton (1864-1940). The bulk of the materials are book manuscripts, correspondence, keepsakes, and newspaper clippings, with published volumes cataloged separately. The collection relates to his book collecting activities and was primarily compiled by his son, E. Swift Newton, with additional material given by various donors. (View full finding aid.)
title
A. Edward Newton collection
creator
Newton, A. Edward (Alfred Edward), 1864-1940, Author Newton, E. Swift (Edward Swift), Compiler
id
FLP.RBD.NEWTON
repository
extent
8 linear feet
inclusive date
1808-1966
bulk date
1892-1941
abstract/scope/contents
This collection consists of the personal and professional papers of Philadelphia book collector A. Edward Newton (1864-1940). The bulk of the materials are book manuscripts, correspondence, keepsakes, and newspaper clippings, with published volumes cataloged separately. The collection relates to his book collecting activities and was primarily compiled by his son, E. Swift Newton, with additional material given by various donors.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
University of Pennsylvania: Penn Museum Archives [Contact Us]
1951-1961
Creator:
Eyman, Frances, 1921-1949
Extent: 1.2 linear foot
A.(Alice) Frances Eyman, Assistant Curator and Keeper of the American section of the Penn Museum was educated at Oberlin College and the University of Pennsylvania (B.A.) and did graduate work at Columbia and the University of New Mexico. While at the University of New Mexico, Eyman participated in archaeological field work with the Navajo. Eyman taught as a part of the education departments of both the American Museum of Natural History and the Penn Museum. Her special interest involved American Indian objects and how they fill the gap in the ethnology of the native people. The American Section records of A. Frances Eyman consist of three boxes of information. The collection is divided into three series; correspondence, notes and writings/manuscripts. (View full finding aid.)
title
A. Frances Eyman American Section records
creator
Eyman, Frances, 1921-1949
id
PU-Mu. 0049
repository
extent
1.2 linear foot
inclusive date
1951-1961
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
A.(Alice) Frances Eyman, Assistant Curator and Keeper of the American section of the Penn Museum was educated at Oberlin College and the University of Pennsylvania (B.A.) and did graduate work at Columbia and the University of New Mexico. While at the University of New Mexico, Eyman participated in archaeological field work with the Navajo. Eyman taught as a part of the education departments of both the American Museum of Natural History and the Penn Museum. Her special interest involved American Indian objects and how they fill the gap in the ethnology of the native people. The American Section records of A. Frances Eyman consist of three boxes of information. The collection is divided into three series; correspondence, notes and writings/manuscripts.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library. Public Policy Papers. 65 Olden Street Princeton, New Jersey 08540 USA [Contact Us]
1936-1961
Extent: 1.38 linear feet (2 boxes)
A. Frederick Gerstell is a member of the Princeton University Class of 1960. The collection is composed of mostly World War II-era correspondence, photographs, and ephemera collected by Gerstell. (View full finding aid.)
title
A. Frederick Gerstell Collection of Military Materials
creator
id
MC286
repository
extent
1.38 linear feet (2 boxes)
inclusive date
1936-1961
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
A. Frederick Gerstell is a member of the Princeton University Class of 1960. The collection is composed of mostly World War II-era correspondence, photographs, and ephemera collected by Gerstell.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1910-1993
(Bulk: 1910-1929)
Extent: 0.2 linear feet (1 half-size archival box)
Consists of selected manuscripts, correspondence, and documents of the twentieth-century British biographer and bibliophile A. J. A. Symons. (View full finding aid.)
title
A. J. A. Symons collection
creator
id
C1301
repository
extent
0.2 linear feet (1 half-size archival box)
inclusive date
1910-1993
bulk date
1910-1929
abstract/scope/contents
Consists of selected manuscripts, correspondence, and documents of the twentieth-century British biographer and bibliophile A. J. A. Symons.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Society of Montgomery County [Contact Us]
1868-1966
(Bulk: 1868-1913)
Creator:
A. K. Shearer & Son.
Extent: 8 linear feet
Abel K. Shearer started a lumber company in North Wales, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania in 1861. The A. K. Shearer Lumber Company was still active as of 2012. The A. K. Shearer & Son Lumber Company records, 1868-1966 [bulk 1868-1913], are comprised of daybooks, ledgers, and cashbooks. (View full finding aid.)
title
A. K. Shearer & Son records
creator
A. K. Shearer & Son.
id
HSMC.27
repository
extent
8 linear feet
inclusive date
1868-1966
bulk date
1868-1913
abstract/scope/contents
Abel K. Shearer started a lumber company in North Wales, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania in 1861. The A. K. Shearer Lumber Company was still active as of 2012. The A. K. Shearer & Son Lumber Company records, 1868-1966 [bulk 1868-1913], are comprised of daybooks, ledgers, and cashbooks.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
University of Pennsylvania: Biddle Law Library: Manuscripts Collection [Contact Us]
1935-1996
Creator:
Levin, A. Leo, 1919-
Extent: 30 linear feet
A. Leo Levin, born in 1919 received his B.A. from Yeshiva University in 1939. He attended the University of Pennsylvania Law School and received his J.D. in 1942. Levin then took his first teaching job at the University of Iowa where he taught for two years before returning to his alma mater Penn Law School. Levin taught at Penn Law until his appointment as Director of the Federal Judicial Center in 1977. Levin participated in numerous legal professional organizations such as the American Bar Association, the Association of American Law Schools and the Order of the Coif. Levin also served on a number of high profile judiciary committees such as the Legislative Reapportionment Committee from 1971-1973, the Commission on Revision of the Federal Court Appellate System from 1973-1975, and the Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group. Levin produced or contributed to a number of publications related to the law including Dispatch and Delay: A Field Study of Judicial Administration in Pennsylvania with Edward A. Woolley and Cases and Materials on Civil Procedure with James H. Chadbourn. Levin's interests were not limited solely to the law as evidenced by his active role in the Jewish Community serving on numerous boards of Jewish centric organizations such as the Jewish Exponent, a weekly newspaper published in Philadelphia, the Jewish Federation of Jewish Agencies and the Jewish Publication Society. (View full finding aid.)
title
A. Leo Levin Papers
creator
Levin, A. Leo, 1919-
id
PU-L.MSS.015
repository
extent
30 linear feet
inclusive date
1935-1996
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
A. Leo Levin, born in 1919 received his B.A. from Yeshiva University in 1939. He attended the University of Pennsylvania Law School and received his J.D. in 1942. Levin then took his first teaching job at the University of Iowa where he taught for two years before returning to his alma mater Penn Law School. Levin taught at Penn Law until his appointment as Director of the Federal Judicial Center in 1977. Levin participated in numerous legal professional organizations such as the American Bar Association, the Association of American Law Schools and the Order of the Coif. Levin also served on a number of high profile judiciary committees such as the Legislative Reapportionment Committee from 1971-1973, the Commission on Revision of the Federal Court Appellate System from 1973-1975, and the Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group. Levin produced or contributed to a number of publications related to the law including Dispatch and Delay: A Field Study of Judicial Administration in Pennsylvania with Edward A. Woolley and Cases and Materials on Civil Procedure with James H. Chadbourn. Levin's interests were not limited solely to the law as evidenced by his active role in the Jewish Community serving on numerous boards of Jewish centric organizations such as the Jewish Exponent, a weekly newspaper published in Philadelphia, the Jewish Federation of Jewish Agencies and the Jewish Publication Society.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area [Contact Us]
1862-1968
Creator:
A.C. Bishop Funeral Home
Extent: 1.25 linear feet
The A.C. Bishop Funeral Home, located in Phoenixville, Chester County, Pennsylvania, was owned and operated by three generations of the Bishop family. George M. Bishop (1836-1914) ran the business from 1862 until his death in 1914, when his son, Alonzo C. Bishop (1858-1949), took over. A.C. Bishop's sons, Francis A. and Cooper T. Bishop, succeeded their father as proprietors. The business was very successful, operating for over 100 years. The A.C Bishop Funeral Home registers, 1862-1968, consist of over 30 funeral home registers and coffin records, 1862-1911 and 1931-1968, that provide names of decedents and often biographical information. (View full finding aid.)
title
A.C. Bishop Funeral Home registers
creator
A.C. Bishop Funeral Home
id
HSPA.10
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1862-1968
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The A.C. Bishop Funeral Home, located in Phoenixville, Chester County, Pennsylvania, was owned and operated by three generations of the Bishop family. George M. Bishop (1836-1914) ran the business from 1862 until his death in 1914, when his son, Alonzo C. Bishop (1858-1949), took over. A.C. Bishop's sons, Francis A. and Cooper T. Bishop, succeeded their father as proprietors. The business was very successful, operating for over 100 years. The A.C Bishop Funeral Home registers, 1862-1968, consist of over 30 funeral home registers and coffin records, 1862-1911 and 1931-1968, that provide names of decedents and often biographical information.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Newtown Historic Association [Contact Us]
1918-2003
(Bulk: 1918-1922)
Creator:
A.W. and W.M. Watson Lumber Company.
Extent: 2.75 linear feet
A.W. and W.M. Watson Lumber Company was founded in Newtown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania in 1872. The company was acquired by Frost Lumber in 1953 and became Frost-Watson Lumber Corporation. The A.W. and W.M. Watson Company mill work order forms, 1918-2003 (bulk 1918-1922), consist of two large volumes of mill work order forms, 1918-1922, as well as several items of ephemera. (View full finding aid.)
title
A.W. and W.M. Watson Lumber Company mill work order forms
creator
A.W. and W.M. Watson Lumber Company.
id
NHA.16
repository
extent
2.75 linear feet
inclusive date
1918-2003
bulk date
1918-1922
abstract/scope/contents
A.W. and W.M. Watson Lumber Company was founded in Newtown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania in 1872. The company was acquired by Frost Lumber in 1953 and became Frost-Watson Lumber Corporation. The A.W. and W.M. Watson Company mill work order forms, 1918-2003 (bulk 1918-1922), consist of two large volumes of mill work order forms, 1918-1922, as well as several items of ephemera.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1930-1984
Extent: 9.7 linear feet (27 full-size archival boxes, 2 half-size boxes and 1 oversize flat case)
Contains manuscripts for 47 mystery novels written by American detective fiction writer Aaron Marc Stein. (View full finding aid.)
title
Aaron Marc Stein Mystery Novels
creator
id
C0255
repository
extent
9.7 linear feet (27 full-size archival boxes, 2 half-size boxes and 1 oversize flat case)
inclusive date
1930-1984
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Contains manuscripts for 47 mystery novels written by American detective fiction writer Aaron Marc Stein.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1958-1993
Extent: 0.4 linear feet (1 archival box)
Consists of letters received (1958-1974) by Peruvian author Abelardo Oquendo. (View full finding aid.)
title
Abelardo Oquendo Correspondence
creator
id
C0778
repository
extent
0.4 linear feet (1 archival box)
inclusive date
1958-1993
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Consists of letters received (1958-1974) by Peruvian author Abelardo Oquendo.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Old York Road Historical Society [Contact Us]
1925-2002
Creator:
Abington Civic Club.
Extent: 7.5 linear feet
The Abington Civic Club was organized in 1925 by local women as the Highlands Farm Civic Club, "hoping to better conditions in our community and to establish neighborly relations among the residents." The Abington Civic Club records, 1925-2002, consist of minutes, financial records, scrapbooks, yearbooks, and newsletters. (View full finding aid.)
title
Abington Civic Club records
creator
Abington Civic Club.
id
OYR.2003.128
repository
extent
7.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1925-2002
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Abington Civic Club was organized in 1925 by local women as the Highlands Farm Civic Club, "hoping to better conditions in our community and to establish neighborly relations among the residents." The Abington Civic Club records, 1925-2002, consist of minutes, financial records, scrapbooks, yearbooks, and newsletters.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Old York Road Historical Society [Contact Us]
1803-1988
Creator:
Abington Library Society.
Extent: 0.2 linear feet
The Abington Library Society was established in 1803 as a subscription library. In 1908 it purchased the Jenkinstown Lyceum building on Old York Road and, after major remodeling, opened its doors there in 1910. The Abington Library Society continues as the governing body of the Jenkintown Library, still located in the 1910 building as of 2015. The Abington Library Society miscellaneous records, 1803-1988, include extracts of minutes, financial records, and records of books. (View full finding aid.)
title
Abington Library Society miscellaneous records
creator
Abington Library Society.
id
OYR.2004.21
repository
extent
0.2 linear feet
inclusive date
1803-1988
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Abington Library Society was established in 1803 as a subscription library. In 1908 it purchased the Jenkinstown Lyceum building on Old York Road and, after major remodeling, opened its doors there in 1910. The Abington Library Society continues as the governing body of the Jenkintown Library, still located in the 1910 building as of 2015. The Abington Library Society miscellaneous records, 1803-1988, include extracts of minutes, financial records, and records of books.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Old York Road Historical Society [Contact Us]
1956-1971
(Bulk: 1968-1971)
Creator:
Abington Township Public Library (Pa.).
Extent: 0.75 linear feet
The Abington Township Public Library was established in 1966. The Abington Township Public Library Board records, 1956-1971, consist of minutes, correspondence, and financial records. (View full finding aid.)
title
Abington Township Public Library board records
creator
Abington Township Public Library (Pa.).
id
OYR.2004.013
repository
extent
0.75 linear feet
inclusive date
1956-1971
bulk date
1968-1971
abstract/scope/contents
The Abington Township Public Library was established in 1966. The Abington Township Public Library Board records, 1956-1971, consist of minutes, correspondence, and financial records.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
University of Pennsylvania: Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies [Contact Us]
1910-1966
(Bulk: 1940-1960)
Extent: 90 linear feet (91 boxes)
title
Abraham A. Neuman Papers
creator
id
CJS.ARC MS 43
repository
extent
90 linear feet (91 boxes)
inclusive date
1910-1966
bulk date
1940-1960
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: Archives and Special Collections [Contact Us]
c. 1910-1994
(Bulk: 1938-1991)
Extent: 2.17 cubic feet
This collection consists of photographs of Drexel University academic departments or programs and related colleges, locations, and other subjects. (View full finding aid.)
title
Academics photographs
creator
id
PC.00.011
repository
extent
2.17 cubic feet
inclusive date
c. 1910-1994
bulk date
1938-1991
abstract/scope/contents
This collection consists of photographs of Drexel University academic departments or programs and related colleges, locations, and other subjects.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1925-1990
(Bulk: 1976-1989)
Creator:
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
Extent: 11.5 linear feet (12 containers)
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (ANSP) is a natural history museum which was founded in 1812, “for the encouragement and cultivation of the sciences, and the advancement of useful learning.” The ANSP Board of Trustees, was established in 1925, as one of the institution’s primary administrative bodies. The Board of Trustees was charged with establishing financial policies, selecting the Academy President, assisting with fund raising and community relations, and serving as a board of review. This collection of Trustees records dating from 1925 to 1990 contains minutes and correspondence of various Board committees, policies and procedures, departmental activity reports, annual meetings and files from the President's office related to board matters. (View full finding aid.)
title
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Board of Trustees records
creator
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
id
ANSP.2010.009
repository
extent
11.5 linear feet (12 containers)
inclusive date
1925-1990
bulk date
1976-1989
abstract/scope/contents
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (ANSP) is a natural history museum which was founded in 1812, “for the encouragement and cultivation of the sciences, and the advancement of useful learning.” The ANSP Board of Trustees, was established in 1925, as one of the institution’s primary administrative bodies. The Board of Trustees was charged with establishing financial policies, selecting the Academy President, assisting with fund raising and community relations, and serving as a board of review. This collection of Trustees records dating from 1925 to 1990 contains minutes and correspondence of various Board committees, policies and procedures, departmental activity reports, annual meetings and files from the President's office related to board matters.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1952-1995
Creator:
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Division of Environmental Research.
Extent: 21 linear feet (22 containers)
The Division of Environmental Research (DER) was established as a department of the Academy of Natural Sciences in 1947 by botanist and limnologist, Dr. Ruth Patrick. Originally called the Department of Limnology, the department was envisioned by Patrick as a multidisciplinary team of scientists devoted to helping protect the quality of the environment. Not only was environmental research a novel idea for the time, but the multidisciplinary nature of the research was also innovative. The primary goals of the Division were to, "understand aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, including the effects of natural processes and human activities; apply this knowledge to assess ecosystems health and developing watershed-level strategies for enhancing environmental quality; and work with diverse stakeholders, including government, community groups, industry and environmental organizations to improve environmental stewardship" (ansp.org). This collection provides evidence of the activities of the Division of Environmental Research between the years 1952 and 1995. The bulk of the collection consists of raw data collected at various locations for research projects sponsored by private corporations. The majority of the remaining portion of the collection consists of the papers of DER Director and Vice President Louis E. Sage. This collection also includes a small body of Dr. Ruth Patrick’s working files, as well as publications related to environmental research. Due to the complex scientific nature of the records, the original order of the collection material has been preserved. (View full finding aid.)
title
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Division of Environmental Research records
creator
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Division of Environmental Research.
id
ANSP.2010.039
repository
extent
21 linear feet (22 containers)
inclusive date
1952-1995
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Division of Environmental Research (DER) was established as a department of the Academy of Natural Sciences in 1947 by botanist and limnologist, Dr. Ruth Patrick. Originally called the Department of Limnology, the department was envisioned by Patrick as a multidisciplinary team of scientists devoted to helping protect the quality of the environment. Not only was environmental research a novel idea for the time, but the multidisciplinary nature of the research was also innovative. The primary goals of the Division were to, "understand aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, including the effects of natural processes and human activities; apply this knowledge to assess ecosystems health and developing watershed-level strategies for enhancing environmental quality; and work with diverse stakeholders, including government, community groups, industry and environmental organizations to improve environmental stewardship" (ansp.org). This collection provides evidence of the activities of the Division of Environmental Research between the years 1952 and 1995. The bulk of the collection consists of raw data collected at various locations for research projects sponsored by private corporations. The majority of the remaining portion of the collection consists of the papers of DER Director and Vice President Louis E. Sage. This collection also includes a small body of Dr. Ruth Patrick’s working files, as well as publications related to environmental research. Due to the complex scientific nature of the records, the original order of the collection material has been preserved.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1852-2001
Creator:
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
Extent: 49 linear feet (50 containers)
Prior to the 1930s, the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia had neither an education department nor an exhibits department. However, the museum clearly stated that “to see that our scientific work is shared with the public in ways that instruct and entertain is one of our direct responsibilities, for knowledge of Nature not only widens the mental horizon, but helps to ease the common burdens of life.” In 1920, Harold T. Green came to work at the Academy. At first, he was in charge of arranging the public lectures funded by the Ludwick Institute. However, within a year he was also “superintending” exhibits. His skills as a taxidermist and artist soon overtook his role as a program coordinator and, in 1930 his title was officially changed to “Curator of Museum Exhibits.” In 1929, Green created his first habitat group, or “diorama” which depicted a group of rocky mountain goats. Over the years, the priorities and goals of the Exhibits Department shifted and expanded based upon new ideas in museum education, public perception, and financial challenges. In the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Exhibits Department records, researchers will find a range of materials that span the better part of the 20th century. Of special interest are the Harold T. Green papers, for these include paintings, specimens, color swatches, sketches, photographs, and illustrations of all sorts taken in situ on expeditions to Africa in the 1930s. Later series reflect the operating methods of the Exhibit Department's project managers into the 1990s. (View full finding aid.)
title
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Exhibits Department records
creator
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
id
ANSP.2010.004
repository
extent
49 linear feet (50 containers)
inclusive date
1852-2001
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Prior to the 1930s, the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia had neither an education department nor an exhibits department. However, the museum clearly stated that “to see that our scientific work is shared with the public in ways that instruct and entertain is one of our direct responsibilities, for knowledge of Nature not only widens the mental horizon, but helps to ease the common burdens of life.” In 1920, Harold T. Green came to work at the Academy. At first, he was in charge of arranging the public lectures funded by the Ludwick Institute. However, within a year he was also “superintending” exhibits. His skills as a taxidermist and artist soon overtook his role as a program coordinator and, in 1930 his title was officially changed to “Curator of Museum Exhibits.” In 1929, Green created his first habitat group, or “diorama” which depicted a group of rocky mountain goats. Over the years, the priorities and goals of the Exhibits Department shifted and expanded based upon new ideas in museum education, public perception, and financial challenges. In the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia Exhibits Department records, researchers will find a range of materials that span the better part of the 20th century. Of special interest are the Harold T. Green papers, for these include paintings, specimens, color swatches, sketches, photographs, and illustrations of all sorts taken in situ on expeditions to Africa in the 1930s. Later series reflect the operating methods of the Exhibit Department's project managers into the 1990s.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1819-1969
Creator:
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
Extent: 6 containers
The oldest natural sciences institution in the Western Hemisphere, the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, was founded when the United States hugged the Atlantic coastline, and Philadelphia was the cultural, commercial, and scientific center of the new nation. Classic expeditions to explore the western wilderness were organized at the Academy. These explorers brought back new species of plants and animals, which were studied and catalogued; and which formed the foundation of the Academy's scientific collections, now consisting of more than 17,000,000 specimens. This collection documents the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia's expeditions across the globe from 1891 to 1977. The collection is rich in material, particularly regarding the Academy's expedition to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia in 1969. There is some general information regarding expeditions, especially in regard to the Committee on Names, which is responsible for selecting offical names for special exhibitions. Also included is information regarding other expeditions in which Academy representatives participated during the late 19th and 20th centuries. (View full finding aid.)
title
Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia papers on expeditions
creator
Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
id
ANSP.Coll.113
repository
extent
6 containers
inclusive date
1819-1969
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The oldest natural sciences institution in the Western Hemisphere, the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, was founded when the United States hugged the Atlantic coastline, and Philadelphia was the cultural, commercial, and scientific center of the new nation. Classic expeditions to explore the western wilderness were organized at the Academy. These explorers brought back new species of plants and animals, which were studied and catalogued; and which formed the foundation of the Academy's scientific collections, now consisting of more than 17,000,000 specimens. This collection documents the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia's expeditions across the globe from 1891 to 1977. The collection is rich in material, particularly regarding the Academy's expedition to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia in 1969. There is some general information regarding expeditions, especially in regard to the Committee on Names, which is responsible for selecting offical names for special exhibitions. Also included is information regarding other expeditions in which Academy representatives participated during the late 19th and 20th centuries.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]
1911-1955
Creator:
Academy of Stomatology (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Extent: 1 linear foot (3 boxes)
The Academy of Stomatology was founded in 1894 with the goal of advancing the field of oral medicine. The Academy of Stomatology records contains the minutes from the Academy’s monthly meetings from 1930 to 1955 and the council meetings from 1941 to 1955 as well as a small amount of information regarding fluoridation of water in New Castle, Pennsylvania. (View full finding aid.)
title
Academy of Stomatology records
creator
Academy of Stomatology (Philadelphia, Pa.).
id
PUSp.Ms. Coll. 1181
repository
extent
1 linear foot (3 boxes)
inclusive date
1911-1955
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Academy of Stomatology was founded in 1894 with the goal of advancing the field of oral medicine. The Academy of Stomatology records contains the minutes from the Academy’s monthly meetings from 1930 to 1955 and the council meetings from 1941 to 1955 as well as a small amount of information regarding fluoridation of water in New Castle, Pennsylvania.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1936-1973
(Bulk: 1958-1972)
Extent: 3 linear feet (2 boxes, 2 cartons)
This collection consists of personal and professional papers of Adamantia Pollis, professor of political science on the Graduate Faculty of Political and Social Science of the New School for Social Research in New York. Included are drafts of various articles, papers of her students, personal memorabilia and papers, grant proposals, and correspondence. (View full finding aid.)
title
Adamantia Pollis Papers
creator
id
C0797
repository
extent
3 linear feet (2 boxes, 2 cartons)
inclusive date
1936-1973
bulk date
1958-1972
abstract/scope/contents
This collection consists of personal and professional papers of Adamantia Pollis, professor of political science on the Graduate Faculty of Political and Social Science of the New School for Social Research in New York. Included are drafts of various articles, papers of her students, personal memorabilia and papers, grant proposals, and correspondence.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library. Public Policy Papers. 65 Olden Street Princeton, New Jersey 08540 USA [Contact Us]
1861-2001
(Bulk: 1952-1965)
Extent: 274 linear feet (668 archival boxes and 2 oversize folder)
The Adlai E. Stevenson Papers document the public life of Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965), governor of Illinois, Democratic presidential candidate, and United Nations ambassador. The collection contains correspondence, speeches, writings, campaign materials, subject files, United Nations materials, personal files, photographs, and audiovisual materials, illuminating Stevenson's career in law, politics, and diplomacy, primarily from his first presidential campaign until his death in 1965. (View full finding aid.)
title
Adlai E. Stevenson Papers
creator
id
MC124
repository
extent
274 linear feet (668 archival boxes and 2 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1861-2001
bulk date
1952-1965
abstract/scope/contents
The Adlai E. Stevenson Papers document the public life of Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965), governor of Illinois, Democratic presidential candidate, and United Nations ambassador. The collection contains correspondence, speeches, writings, campaign materials, subject files, United Nations materials, personal files, photographs, and audiovisual materials, illuminating Stevenson's career in law, politics, and diplomacy, primarily from his first presidential campaign until his death in 1965.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library. Princeton University Archives. 65 Olden Street Princeton, New Jersey 08540 USA [Contact Us]
1854-2017
(Bulk: 1922-1998)
Extent: 36.24 linear feet (42 boxes)
The Admission Office has determined who should be allowed to enroll as undergraduates at Princeton University since 1922. The actual composition and the desired composition of each class have been contentious campus issues since the introduction of selective admission. The debates over the value of recruiting and admitting alumni sons, war veterans, athletes, disadvantaged students (especially racial minorities), and women are reflected in the records of the Admission Office. This collection includes a number of reports and minutes, some of which are restricted, news clippings and releases about Princeton admission, historical materials, and a series of Admission Office publications. (View full finding aid.)
title
Admission Office Records
creator
id
AC152
repository
extent
36.24 linear feet (42 boxes)
inclusive date
1854-2017
bulk date
1922-1998
abstract/scope/contents
The Admission Office has determined who should be allowed to enroll as undergraduates at Princeton University since 1922. The actual composition and the desired composition of each class have been contentious campus issues since the introduction of selective admission. The debates over the value of recruiting and admitting alumni sons, war veterans, athletes, disadvantaged students (especially racial minorities), and women are reflected in the records of the Admission Office. This collection includes a number of reports and minutes, some of which are restricted, news clippings and releases about Princeton admission, historical materials, and a series of Admission Office publications.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1920-1982
(Bulk: 1981-1982)
Extent: 2 linear feet
This collection contains photographs, notes and interpretations of multiple aerial mapping projects conducted over the city of Philadelphia. The largest of the “Aerial maps” series (1981-1982) contains two linear feet of black and white photos which are the result of a major Fairmount Park Commission mapping project undertaken between 1981 and 1983. The survey was performed by Aerial Data Reproduction Associates, Incorporated. This series contains visual documentation of East and West Fairmount Park, Wissahickon Valley Park, Pennypack Park, Cobb’s Creek Park and Tacony Creek Park. The series contains both positive and negative images. The photos are accompanied by three binders of analytical aero-triangulation data and field notes. (View full finding aid.)
title
Aerial Mapping Project Files
creator
id
FP.2011.007
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1920-1982
bulk date
1981-1982
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains photographs, notes and interpretations of multiple aerial mapping projects conducted over the city of Philadelphia. The largest of the “Aerial maps” series (1981-1982) contains two linear feet of black and white photos which are the result of a major Fairmount Park Commission mapping project undertaken between 1981 and 1983. The survey was performed by Aerial Data Reproduction Associates, Incorporated. This series contains visual documentation of East and West Fairmount Park, Wissahickon Valley Park, Pennypack Park, Cobb’s Creek Park and Tacony Creek Park. The series contains both positive and negative images. The photos are accompanied by three binders of analytical aero-triangulation data and field notes.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas [Contact Us]
1790-2019
Creator:
St. Thomas' Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Extent: 50 linear feet
Established in 1792 by and for persons of African descent, the African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is the first African American Episcopal Church in the United States. St. Thomas' founder and first rector was Absalom Jones (1746-1818), the first African American ordained in the Episcopal Church. The African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas records, 1790-2019, consist mainly of original church records, as well as some accumulated secondary-source materials. The collection also contains photographs, audio-visual materials, printed materials, and objects. (View full finding aid.)
title
African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas records
creator
St. Thomas' Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
id
AECST.01
repository
extent
50 linear feet
inclusive date
1790-2019
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Established in 1792 by and for persons of African descent, the African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is the first African American Episcopal Church in the United States. St. Thomas' founder and first rector was Absalom Jones (1746-1818), the first African American ordained in the Episcopal Church. The African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas records, 1790-2019, consist mainly of original church records, as well as some accumulated secondary-source materials. The collection also contains photographs, audio-visual materials, printed materials, and objects.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1928-2002
Extent: 2.25 linear feet
Dr. Agnes Gowdey graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1935, after attending Carroll College in Wisconsin. She was in general practice with a concentration in obstetrics for most of her career, practicing first in Philadelphia and later in Riverton, New Jersey. She had an ongoing relationship with the American Youth Foundation (AYF), especially their Camp Merrowvista. The collection documents this ongoing relationship with the camp and its champions. After retirement, Dr. Gowdey was very involved with elder care initiatives in Moorestown, N.J. The collection is most informative about Dr. Gowdey’s time as a student at Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania, her early private practice in the 1940s, and her involvement with Camp Merrowvista. Dr. Gowdey’s most influential work in the areas of obstetrics, elder care, and sex education for young people, is strongly represented here. The collection consists of correspondence, patient records, family papers, anatomical drawings, lecture notes, autobiographical writings, poems, photographs and press clippings, as well as manuscript drafts of the book she wrote with Ray Budde, eventually titled “Bread Crumbs and other Founder Wisdom.” (View full finding aid.)
title
Agnes Gowdey papers
creator
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.531
repository
extent
2.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1928-2002
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Agnes Gowdey graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1935, after attending Carroll College in Wisconsin. She was in general practice with a concentration in obstetrics for most of her career, practicing first in Philadelphia and later in Riverton, New Jersey. She had an ongoing relationship with the American Youth Foundation (AYF), especially their Camp Merrowvista. The collection documents this ongoing relationship with the camp and its champions. After retirement, Dr. Gowdey was very involved with elder care initiatives in Moorestown, N.J. The collection is most informative about Dr. Gowdey’s time as a student at Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania, her early private practice in the 1940s, and her involvement with Camp Merrowvista. Dr. Gowdey’s most influential work in the areas of obstetrics, elder care, and sex education for young people, is strongly represented here. The collection consists of correspondence, patient records, family papers, anatomical drawings, lecture notes, autobiographical writings, poems, photographs and press clippings, as well as manuscript drafts of the book she wrote with Ray Budde, eventually titled “Bread Crumbs and other Founder Wisdom.”
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]
1926-2001
(Bulk: 1940-1954)
Creator:
Aitala Family
Extent: 5 boxes (and 1 oversized folder)
Documents, notebooks, and diary entries relaying the narrative of the Aitala family’s migration through and immigration from Italy to the United States during and after World War II. (View full finding aid.)
title
Aitala family papers
creator
Aitala Family
id
PUSp.Ms. Coll. 697
repository
extent
5 boxes (and 1 oversized folder)
inclusive date
1926-2001
bulk date
1940-1954
abstract/scope/contents
Documents, notebooks, and diary entries relaying the narrative of the Aitala family’s migration through and immigration from Italy to the United States during and after World War II.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1951-1961
Extent: 1.2 linear feet (3 archival boxes)
Consists of manuscripts for three novels by American novelist and children's writer Al Hine. (View full finding aid.)
title
Al Hine Novels
creator
id
C0225
repository
extent
1.2 linear feet (3 archival boxes)
inclusive date
1951-1961
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Consists of manuscripts for three novels by American novelist and children's writer Al Hine.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1939-1970
Extent: 16 linear feet (36 containers)
Consists of personal papers of Alan S. Downer, Princeton professor of English (1946-1970), including correspondence, articles, lecture notes, and photographs, as well as material relating to various professional organizations to which he belonged, much of it associated with American theater. (View full finding aid.)
title
Alan S. Downer Collection
creator
id
TC095
repository
extent
16 linear feet (36 containers)
inclusive date
1939-1970
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Consists of personal papers of Alan S. Downer, Princeton professor of English (1946-1970), including correspondence, articles, lecture notes, and photographs, as well as material relating to various professional organizations to which he belonged, much of it associated with American theater.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Chester County Historical Society [Contact Us]
1645-1960
Creator:
Myers, Albert Cook, 1874-1960
Extent: 81 linear feet
Albert Cook Myers (1874-1960) was a Pennsylvania historian, who dedicated his life’s work to the identification, study and organization of William Penn’s published writings and personal papers. Beginning in 1910, after securing an endorsement from the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, he set out to publish: “The Complete Works of William Penn.” All told, Myers devoted fifty years of his life to this project. Though his publication goals were never realized, he assembled a massive and notable body of information about William Penn. To complete his studies, Myers travelled abroad and throughout the United States. As a result of his efforts, he came to be regarded as an expert on the topic and often spoke publicly on the life and times of William Penn. The Albert Cook Myers research collection of William Penn materials contains the information gathered by Myers in his pursuit to thoroughly research and publish a volume documenting the complete writings of William Penn. Researchers will find Myers' notes, transcriptions, photocopies of documents, newspaper clippings, various author articles, first editions and other early editions of Penn's works, picture postcards of places related to Penn, and photos and original manuscript material. The bulk of the collection is "The Manuscript" series, which focuses on Myer's work on Penn's own writings. Researchers should be aware that the bulk of the collection is Myers' notes and only a small portion is original manuscript material related to Penn. The collection spans the dates of 1645 to 1960, however, the bulk of the material was collected and created by Myers from 1910 to 1960. (View full finding aid.)
title
Albert Cook Myers Historical Collection: William Penn papers
creator
Myers, Albert Cook, 1874-1960
id
CCHS.MS.Coll.190
repository
extent
81 linear feet
inclusive date
1645-1960
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Albert Cook Myers (1874-1960) was a Pennsylvania historian, who dedicated his life’s work to the identification, study and organization of William Penn’s published writings and personal papers. Beginning in 1910, after securing an endorsement from the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, he set out to publish: “The Complete Works of William Penn.” All told, Myers devoted fifty years of his life to this project. Though his publication goals were never realized, he assembled a massive and notable body of information about William Penn. To complete his studies, Myers travelled abroad and throughout the United States. As a result of his efforts, he came to be regarded as an expert on the topic and often spoke publicly on the life and times of William Penn. The Albert Cook Myers research collection of William Penn materials contains the information gathered by Myers in his pursuit to thoroughly research and publish a volume documenting the complete writings of William Penn. Researchers will find Myers' notes, transcriptions, photocopies of documents, newspaper clippings, various author articles, first editions and other early editions of Penn's works, picture postcards of places related to Penn, and photos and original manuscript material. The bulk of the collection is "The Manuscript" series, which focuses on Myer's work on Penn's own writings. Researchers should be aware that the bulk of the collection is Myers' notes and only a small portion is original manuscript material related to Penn. The collection spans the dates of 1645 to 1960, however, the bulk of the material was collected and created by Myers from 1910 to 1960.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]
1914-1973
Creator:
Baugh, Albert C., (Albert Croll), 1891-1981
Extent: 15 boxes
Consists of 15 boxes of Albert Croll Baugh’s professional papers, including correspondence, research materials, a catalog of the book collection he donated to the University of Pennsylvania libraries, and reproductions of various medieval manuscripts. The correspondence is professional and overwhelmingly relates to Baugh’s research. The research materials consist primarily of notes, unpublished article reviews, reprints of articles, and newspaper clippings, and make up the greater bulk of the collection. These materials cover Middle English, French and Anglo-Latin literature and literary history in the twelfth through sixteenth centuries. Specific topics covered in the research materials include Arthurian legends, Chaucer, Middle English language (including spelling, grammar and punctuation) and literature (especially romances, plays and lyric works), Piers Plowman, and the concept of the table dormant, as well as the teaching of English and the editing of medieval texts. The catalog records Baugh’s extensive personal research library and can additionally be found on microfilm, along with various medieval manuscripts on microfilm. The bulk of the manuscript reproductions are, however, in photograph, facsimile or photocopied form. These manuscripts are primarily in Middle English (with a few in Latin) and include various transcriptions of the Ancren riwle (a 13th century text of rules for anchoresses, one version of which Baugh edited and then published in 1956), two versions of Piers Plowman, (the B and C texts), various English public records, and miscellaneous other Middle English works. (View full finding aid.)
title
Albert Croll Baugh papers
creator
Baugh, Albert C., (Albert Croll), 1891-1981
id
PUSp.Ms. Coll. 689
repository
extent
15 boxes
inclusive date
1914-1973
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Consists of 15 boxes of Albert Croll Baugh’s professional papers, including correspondence, research materials, a catalog of the book collection he donated to the University of Pennsylvania libraries, and reproductions of various medieval manuscripts. The correspondence is professional and overwhelmingly relates to Baugh’s research. The research materials consist primarily of notes, unpublished article reviews, reprints of articles, and newspaper clippings, and make up the greater bulk of the collection. These materials cover Middle English, French and Anglo-Latin literature and literary history in the twelfth through sixteenth centuries. Specific topics covered in the research materials include Arthurian legends, Chaucer, Middle English language (including spelling, grammar and punctuation) and literature (especially romances, plays and lyric works), Piers Plowman, and the concept of the table dormant, as well as the teaching of English and the editing of medieval texts. The catalog records Baugh’s extensive personal research library and can additionally be found on microfilm, along with various medieval manuscripts on microfilm. The bulk of the manuscript reproductions are, however, in photograph, facsimile or photocopied form. These manuscripts are primarily in Middle English (with a few in Latin) and include various transcriptions of the Ancren riwle (a 13th century text of rules for anchoresses, one version of which Baugh edited and then published in 1956), two versions of Piers Plowman, (the B and C texts), various English public records, and miscellaneous other Middle English works.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1859-1979
(Bulk: 1912-1955)
Extent: 37.9 linear feet (94 boxes)
Consists of a photocopied duplicate archive of the original Albert Einstein Archive at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, divided into scientific and non-scientific sections, including published and unpublished manuscripts, articles, lectures, notebooks, notes, travel diaries (1925-1933), family papers, and correspondence. (View full finding aid.)
title
Albert Einstein Duplicate Archive
creator
id
C0701
repository
extent
37.9 linear feet (94 boxes)
inclusive date
1859-1979
bulk date
1912-1955
abstract/scope/contents
Consists of a photocopied duplicate archive of the original Albert Einstein Archive at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, divided into scientific and non-scientific sections, including published and unpublished manuscripts, articles, lectures, notebooks, notes, travel diaries (1925-1933), family papers, and correspondence.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]
1928-1964
Creator:
Albert Einstein Medical Center School of Nursing.
Extent: 0.75 linear feet
The Albert Einstein Medical Center (AEMC) School of Nursing was founded in 1953 upon the consolidation of the nursing schools of Jewish Hospital and Mt. Sinai Hospital. Until its close in 1987, it had one of the highest enrollements in the Philadelphia area, including many students of color. This collection contains administrative records, catalogues, evaluation studies and reports, and other materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
Albert Einstein Medical Center School of Nursing records
creator
Albert Einstein Medical Center School of Nursing.
id
PU-N.MC 88
repository
extent
0.75 linear feet
inclusive date
1928-1964
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Albert Einstein Medical Center (AEMC) School of Nursing was founded in 1953 upon the consolidation of the nursing schools of Jewish Hospital and Mt. Sinai Hospital. Until its close in 1987, it had one of the highest enrollements in the Philadelphia area, including many students of color. This collection contains administrative records, catalogues, evaluation studies and reports, and other materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1855-1954
Extent: 1.63 linear feet
This collection focuses on one family’s multi-generational U.S. Naval service during the Civil War and World War II. Additionally, there is small but significant focus on one family member’s involvement with the 1876 Centennial Exhibition. (View full finding aid.)
title
Albert Family Papers.
creator
id
1987.43.1985.73.1986.107
repository
extent
1.63 linear feet
inclusive date
1855-1954
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection focuses on one family’s multi-generational U.S. Naval service during the Civil War and World War II. Additionally, there is small but significant focus on one family member’s involvement with the 1876 Centennial Exhibition.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Society of Pennsylvania [Contact Us]
1911-1965
Creator:
Gerberich, Albert H. (Albert Horwell), 1898-1965
Extent: 2.2 linear feet (; 2 boxes, 13 volumes)
Dr. Albert Horwell Gerberich (1898-1965) was an educator, foreign service diplomat, and genealogist. He was one of the foremost authorities on the Pennsylvania Germans, and was the author of several books and articles in this field. From 1911 until shortly before his death in 1965, he kept diaries in which he recorded his daily life and activities, and more importantly, his observations and opinions on politics, world events, and the changing cultural and moral values of his time. The diaries consist of thirteen ledger-sized volumes, with entries from a single line to several pages. They also include entries inserted from the diaries of his wife, Gisela Margit Gerberich (1898-1953). Ephemera inserted into the diaries have been removed and separated to boxes and folders. (View full finding aid.)
title
Albert H. Gerberich diaries
creator
Gerberich, Albert H. (Albert Horwell), 1898-1965
id
PHi.3271
repository
extent
2.2 linear feet (; 2 boxes, 13 volumes)
inclusive date
1911-1965
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Albert Horwell Gerberich (1898-1965) was an educator, foreign service diplomat, and genealogist. He was one of the foremost authorities on the Pennsylvania Germans, and was the author of several books and articles in this field. From 1911 until shortly before his death in 1965, he kept diaries in which he recorded his daily life and activities, and more importantly, his observations and opinions on politics, world events, and the changing cultural and moral values of his time. The diaries consist of thirteen ledger-sized volumes, with entries from a single line to several pages. They also include entries inserted from the diaries of his wife, Gisela Margit Gerberich (1898-1953). Ephemera inserted into the diaries have been removed and separated to boxes and folders.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Westtown School Archives [Contact Us]
1931-1990
(Bulk: 1940-1974)
Creator:
Baily, Albert L., 1890-1974
Extent: 1.25 linear feet
Albert L. Baily, Jr. (1890-1974) was a teacher at Westtown School (a prominent Quaker boarding school in Chester County, Pennsylvania) from 1921 to 1955, where he taught French, botany, biology and Bible, and was involved in music and theater. As a scholar, Baily was interested in studies about the New Testament Gospels, specifically Henry B. Sharman's (1865-1953) study, Records of the Life of Jesus (1917). The Albert L. Baily, Jr. papers, 1931-1990 (bulk, 1940-1974), consist primarily of materials relating to Baily's studies, teachings, and writings of the New Testament Gospels. Also included are oral histories about a student work camp, "Three Fevers Camp," that Baily and his wife ran in the fishing town of Sebasco, Maine during the Great Depression; as well as materials relating to Baily's music compositions. (View full finding aid.)
title
Albert L. Baily, Jr. papers
creator
Baily, Albert L., 1890-1974
id
WTS.10
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1931-1990
bulk date
1940-1974
abstract/scope/contents
Albert L. Baily, Jr. (1890-1974) was a teacher at Westtown School (a prominent Quaker boarding school in Chester County, Pennsylvania) from 1921 to 1955, where he taught French, botany, biology and Bible, and was involved in music and theater. As a scholar, Baily was interested in studies about the New Testament Gospels, specifically Henry B. Sharman's (1865-1953) study, Records of the Life of Jesus (1917). The Albert L. Baily, Jr. papers, 1931-1990 (bulk, 1940-1974), consist primarily of materials relating to Baily's studies, teachings, and writings of the New Testament Gospels. Also included are oral histories about a student work camp, "Three Fevers Camp," that Baily and his wife ran in the fishing town of Sebasco, Maine during the Great Depression; as well as materials relating to Baily's music compositions.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Society of Pennsylvania [Contact Us]
1918-1969, undated
(Bulk: 1930-1950)
Creator:
Greenfield, Albert M., 1887-1967.
Extent: 436.4 linear feet (;1069 boxes, 85 volumes, 22 flat files)
The Albert M. Greenfield papers consist of correspondence, office files, appointment books, photographs, audio-visual materials, and scrapbooks spanning almost fifty years of business and personal records. The collection reflects Greenfield’s career as a real estate mogul, banker, department store developer, mortgage financier, motion-picture theater owner, hotelier, philanthropist, and Philadelphia City commissioner. He also served as delegate to national conventions of both the Democratic and the Republican parties, and was appointed to commissions by Philadelphia mayors and U.S. presidents, keeping thorough records of his involvement in multiple social, political, religious, and business organizations. (View full finding aid.)
title
Albert M. Greenfield papers
creator
Greenfield, Albert M., 1887-1967.
id
PHi.1959
repository
extent
436.4 linear feet (;1069 boxes, 85 volumes, 22 flat files)
inclusive date
1918-1969, undated
bulk date
1930-1950
abstract/scope/contents
The Albert M. Greenfield papers consist of correspondence, office files, appointment books, photographs, audio-visual materials, and scrapbooks spanning almost fifty years of business and personal records. The collection reflects Greenfield’s career as a real estate mogul, banker, department store developer, mortgage financier, motion-picture theater owner, hotelier, philanthropist, and Philadelphia City commissioner. He also served as delegate to national conventions of both the Democratic and the Republican parties, and was appointed to commissions by Philadelphia mayors and U.S. presidents, keeping thorough records of his involvement in multiple social, political, religious, and business organizations.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1913-1955
Extent: 9 linear feet ((7 record cartons, 5 archival boxes))
Albert Mathias Friend, Jr. (Princeton Class of 1915), was an officer and a scholar. Friend served in World War I and then did his graduate studies in art and architecture in Europe, studying and salvaging the great works of art and architecture that may have been damaged by the fighting. He then worked with Harvard’s Dumbarton Oaks Research Library before becoming a professor at Princeton University. The collection contains notes and course materials from Friend’s time as a student and as a professor, correspondence, and some of his research materials, photographs, and negatives, focusing on medieval art and architecture in Greece, Rome, and other Mediterranean cultures. (View full finding aid.)
title
Albert Mathias Friend Papers
creator
id
C0924
repository
extent
9 linear feet ((7 record cartons, 5 archival boxes))
inclusive date
1913-1955
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Albert Mathias Friend, Jr. (Princeton Class of 1915), was an officer and a scholar. Friend served in World War I and then did his graduate studies in art and architecture in Europe, studying and salvaging the great works of art and architecture that may have been damaged by the fighting. He then worked with Harvard’s Dumbarton Oaks Research Library before becoming a professor at Princeton University. The collection contains notes and course materials from Friend’s time as a student and as a professor, correspondence, and some of his research materials, photographs, and negatives, focusing on medieval art and architecture in Greece, Rome, and other Mediterranean cultures.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library. Public Policy Papers. 65 Olden Street Princeton, New Jersey 08540 USA [Contact Us]
1900-2008
(Bulk: 1950-2000)
Extent: 346 linear feet (84 boxes)
Albert O. Hirschman (1915- ) was a leading scholar in the field of economic development whose work focused on Latin America but encompassed the globe. He was a professor at Yale, Columbia, Harvard, and the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey. Hirschman's papers document his scholarship on economic development and his academic career and include his correspondence written while he was at the Institute for Advanced Study, his writings, and his research notes and materials, especially related to his work in Latin America and for the World Bank. (View full finding aid.)
title
Albert O. Hirschman Papers
creator
id
MC160
repository
extent
346 linear feet (84 boxes)
inclusive date
1900-2008
bulk date
1950-2000
abstract/scope/contents
Albert O. Hirschman (1915- ) was a leading scholar in the field of economic development whose work focused on Latin America but encompassed the globe. He was a professor at Yale, Columbia, Harvard, and the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey. Hirschman's papers document his scholarship on economic development and his academic career and include his correspondence written while he was at the Institute for Advanced Study, his writings, and his research notes and materials, especially related to his work in Latin America and for the World Bank.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1896-1976
(Bulk: 1930-1965)
Extent: 5.8 linear feet (11 archival boxes, 1 half-size archival box, 1 record center carton, 1 small flat box)
The collection contains both original and printed material relating to Albert Schweitzer, the French missionary physician who founded the Lambaréné Hospital in French Equatorial Africa in 1913 and who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1953 for his philosophy of "reverence for life." (View full finding aid.)
title
Albert Schweitzer Collection
creator
id
C0326
repository
extent
5.8 linear feet (11 archival boxes, 1 half-size archival box, 1 record center carton, 1 small flat box)
inclusive date
1896-1976
bulk date
1930-1965
abstract/scope/contents
The collection contains both original and printed material relating to Albert Schweitzer, the French missionary physician who founded the Lambaréné Hospital in French Equatorial Africa in 1913 and who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1953 for his philosophy of "reverence for life."
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1954-1972
(Bulk: 1960-1972)
Extent: 4 linear feet (9 archival boxes, 1 half-size archival box)
The Alejandra Pizarnik Papers consists of diaries, manuscripts, correspondence, drawings, and other papers of the Argentine poet Alejandra Pizarnik (1936-1972). (View full finding aid.)
title
Alejandra Pizarnik Papers
creator
id
C0395
repository
extent
4 linear feet (9 archival boxes, 1 half-size archival box)
inclusive date
1954-1972
bulk date
1960-1972
abstract/scope/contents
The Alejandra Pizarnik Papers consists of diaries, manuscripts, correspondence, drawings, and other papers of the Argentine poet Alejandra Pizarnik (1936-1972).
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1812-2010
(Bulk: 1955-2009)
Extent: 16.2 linear feet (34 archival boxes, 3 half-size archival boxes and 2 record center cartons)
The Alejandro Rossi Papers consist of personal notebooks, manuscripts, correspondence with writers, academics, editors and artists, and printed material of the celebrated writer. (View full finding aid.)
title
Alejandro Rossi Papers
creator
id
C1422
repository
extent
16.2 linear feet (34 archival boxes, 3 half-size archival boxes and 2 record center cartons)
inclusive date
1812-2010
bulk date
1955-2009
abstract/scope/contents
The Alejandro Rossi Papers consist of personal notebooks, manuscripts, correspondence with writers, academics, editors and artists, and printed material of the celebrated writer.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Princeton University. Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections Manuscripts Division One Washington Road Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA [Contact Us]
1924-1989
Extent: 6 linear feet (8 archival boxes, 4 flat print boxes)
Alexander D. Wainwright (Princeton Class of 1939) was an avid bookman and collector. He had a lengthy career at the Princeton University Library, serving as assistant university librarian for collection development and as curator of the Morris L. Parrish Collection of Victorian Novelists. His collection consists of of manuscripts, correspondence, drawings, and related material by and about Thomas Wolfe, the American novelist, playwright, and storywriter. (View full finding aid.)
title
Alexander D. Wainwright Collection of Thomas Wolfe
creator
id
C0851
repository
extent
6 linear feet (8 archival boxes, 4 flat print boxes)
inclusive date
1924-1989
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Alexander D. Wainwright (Princeton Class of 1939) was an avid bookman and collector. He had a lengthy career at the Princeton University Library, serving as assistant university librarian for collection development and as curator of the Morris L. Parrish Collection of Victorian Novelists. His collection consists of of manuscripts, correspondence, drawings, and related material by and about Thomas Wolfe, the American novelist, playwright, and storywriter.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • NextLast »