New Franklin Help
About new Franklin - What's Different?
- All searches are keyword searches. There are no left anchored searches in new Franklin.
- Author search results are not presented in an index form, but are displayed instead according to a specialized
weighting system. After an author search, consider using the Author/Creator limit on the left of the screen to further
refine your search.
- Subject search results are not presented in an index form, but are displayed instead according to a specialized
weighting system. After a subject search, consider using the Subject or Classification limits on the left of the
screen to further refine your search.
- The Advanced Search allows for both
fielded searching and command line searching.
- New Franklin allows you to start a search or narrow search results using limits. These limits, displayed on the left of
include: Access, Format, Subject, Language, Library and Specific location,
Publication date, Classification, Author/Creator, and Genre.
- Limits can be sorted alphabetically or by frequency. More on Using Limits.
- Brief: The brief view of a record is now incorporated into the search results display.
- Detailed: Click on the title in the search results to see the detailed view.
- Staff: A link to the staff view (MARC record) is provided in the lower right corner of the detailed view.
- Classic Franklin: A link to the same record in Classic Franklin is provided in the lower right corner of the detailed view.
- Status Icons:
(green): Available to be charged out.
(yellow): Available for use in library or must be requested.
(red): Unavailable (with a link to request options)
- Format Icons:
- These icons are best explained by the labels accompanying them in the format limit box.
Additional sorting options for search results:
- Relevance ranking is the default for all searches.
- Title (a-z and z-a).
- Author (a-z and z-a).
- Publication date (new-old, old-new).
- Date Added (new-old).
Course reserves module is linked from the new Franklin homepage.
- Keyword searching of instructor, course name, course number, and department.
- Limit search to Instructor, Course number, Course name, Course number, Department, and Location.
- Browse by Instructor, Course number, Course name, Course number, Department, and Location.
- Search results are sortable by Title, Instructor, Course number, Course name, and
- Contextual links to Request Options for materials that are in storage or are unavailable.
- Permanent URLs to records.
- RSS feeds for any combination of search terms and limits.
- Bib ID displayed in bottom right corner of detailed view.
- Links to Classic Franklin.
- Cover images provided by Google Books.