University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Cottrell's Charity accounts, Yardley

Ms. Codex 1926

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
Creator:
John Cottrell's Charity.
Title:
Cottrell's Charity accounts, Yardley
Date [inclusive]:
1858-1951
Call Number:
Ms. Codex 1926
Extent:
1 volume
Language:
English
Abstract:
A ledger containing an account of receipts, disbursements, and yearly accountin of funds for John Cottrell's Charity spanning the years from 1858 to 1951. The charity supported housing for widows in the Parish of Yardley, Worcestershire.
Cite as:
Cottrell's Charity accounts, Yardley, 1858-1951, Ms. Codex 1926, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

John Cottrell deeded land in 1715 in Yardley Parish, Worcestershire, England and established almshouses for widows. Two cottages were built on the land and each was occupied by a widow.

Scope and Contents

This volume is a ledger containing an account of receipts and disbursements for John Cottrell's Charity. The charity supported two cottages housing two widows in the Parish of Yardley, Worcestershire. A yearly accounting of the funds spans the years from 1858 to 1951. The accounts were reconciled at the end of March to the mid-April each year. A funds clerk was named each year, the accounts were signed by auditors, and passed by the board of trustees. In the first year, 1858, expenditures were for the erection of the cottages including payments for the builder and the surveyor. Incoming funds for the almshouses were noted. From 1858 until 1894 some funding was supplied by a trust of the Rev. John Ellis and interest earned at Lloyd's. In 1895 funds were provided by renters who occupied other portions of the properties. The women who lived in the almshouses were named each year until 1911. Expenditures for the cottages included gardening, insurance, maintenance, and repairs. A letter dated March 30, 1896 regarding the deed in Yardley is pasted on the inside back cover. The title appears on stamped-leather label on front cover.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts,  June 2018

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Donna Brandolisio

Access Restrictions

This codex is available for research.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Source of Acquisition

Sold by Leslie Aitchison (Bristol, United Kingdom), 2018.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Form/Genre(s)
  • Account books
  • Codices (bound manuscripts)
  • Manuscripts, English--19th century
  • Manuscripts, English--20th century
Subject(s)
  • Almshouses--England--Worcestershire--19th century
  • Almshouses--England--Worcestershire--20th century
  • Charities--England--Worcestershire--History--Sources
  • Widows--England--Worcestershire

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Volume

Cottrell's Charity accounts, Yardley, 1858-1951.

1