University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids

Navigation Aids

University of Pennsylvania Finding Aids
Search Finding Aids
 

Main Content

Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia records

Ms. Coll. 90

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Summary Information

Repository:
University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
Creator:
Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia.
Title:
Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia records
Date:
circa 1820-1994
Call Number:
Ms. Coll. 90
Extent:
126 boxes
Language:
English
Abstract:
The correspondence and business records of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia contain minutes of its earliest meetings; the membership, repertoire, and organization of its orchestra and chorus; information regarding financial relief afforded to its professional members and their families; programs and other materials related to the history of Musical Fund Hall (1848-1982); committee files; financial records; photographs of portraits painted by John Clarendon Darley, Thomas Sully, Rembrandt Peale, Charles Willson Peale, and others; and administrative records for the Musical Fund Society Foundation, a separate corporation formed in 1983.
Cite as:
Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia records, circa 1820-1994, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania
PDF Version:

Return to Top »

Biography/History

The Society

In his memoirs John K. Kane (1795-1858), a lawyer and Judge for the District Court of the United States for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, has left us an engaging account of the beginnings of the Musical Fund Society. Kane, an amateur musician, founded the Musical Fund Society in company with his friends, Dr. Robert M. Patterson, Dr. William P. DeWees, and a number of noted professional musicians in Philadelphia.

In 1820, Dr. Patterson, Dr. DeWees, and myself gathered together the better sort from among the Musicians of Philadelphia, and organized the Musical Fund. Old Ben Carr, the kind and simple-hearted, - queer George Schetky, with his one eye and one wig, both fiery, - Charles Hupfeldt [sic], who was up to that time the Solo Violin of Philadelphia, for all except some Gramsetral variations that Gillingham used to play delightfully as often as he could get a concert of hearers, - Gilles, a violoncello, fresh from the Conservatoire, - Load [sic, Thomas Loud] and Ben Cross the elder, deputies of Carr, - these made the staple of the Society. (Autobiography of the Honorable John K. Kane, pp. 63-64.) John K. Kane served as the first secretary of the Musical Fund Society from 1820 to 1821, was vice-president from 1829 to 1834, and was its third president from 1854 to 1856. The first president was Dr. William P. DeWees from 1820 to 1838, followed by Kane's friend Dr. Robert M. Patterson from 1838 to 1853. Conductors Benjamin Carr and his business partner George Schetky both served as Directors of the Music and Managers of the Fund for the Society.

The purposes of the Musical Fund Society were two (as stated in the Charter): "the relief of decayed musicians and their families, and the cultivation of skill and diffusion of taste in music." In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the Musical Fund performed some of the functions of a beneficial and protective association, providing monetary relief to professional members who were sick, payment for funeral expenses, and payments to surviving widows and children of professional members. After 1938 no new members were admitted to the former professional membership category, and, therefore, the provision of relief for members and their families has gradually diminished: only two widows were receiving relief in 1994.

The "cultivation of skill and diffusion of taste in music" was provided for by performances given by the orchestra and chorus of the Musical Fund Society, conducted by Benjamin Carr (1768-1831), Benjamin Cross (1786-1857), George Schetky (1776-1831), Charles F. Hupfeld (1787-1864), Thomas Loud (1752-1833), and Peter Gilles, violoncellist and composer. At the inception of the Society, both men and women were admitted as amateur and professional members. Benjamin Carr came to America from England with his family in 1792, and established businesses as a music dealer in Philadelphia and New York, while his father Joseph and brother Thomas operated the family music publishing firm in Baltimore. Carr was a publisher, actor, singer, organist (at St. Peter's and at St. Augustine's in Philadelphia), pianist, composer, and conductor both in New York and Philadelphia. Many of Benjamin Carr's compositions and arrangements have been collected (and cataloged) in the Keffer Collection of Sheet Music, part of the library of the Musical Fund Society. Carr's death in 1831 was a blow to the Musical Fund Society, but his work was carried on by one of his former students, Benjamin Cross, one of the principal leaders of the Society until 1857. The Musical Fund Society voted funds to erect a memorial, designed by William Strickland, to Benjamin Carr at his grave in St. Peter's cemetery in Philadelphia.

Many notable performers and performances were presented under the auspices of the Musical Fund Society, from its first concert in 1821 throughout the nineteenth century. Haydn's oratorio The Creation was given its first performance in Philadelphia in 1822 by the Musical Fund Society, featuring the highly praised singing of Mrs. French, a pupil of Benjamin Carr. Haydn's The Seasons was performed in 1835 and again in 1839. The Musical Fund Society gave the first performance in the United States of Mozart's Die Zauberflöte in 1841.

Following the death of conductor Benjamin Cross in 1857, the Society's concerts were directed by Leopold Meignen. The Germania Orchestra was reorganized in 1856 and played weekly "public rehearsals" in Musical Fund Hall until 1868. Later, just before the turn of the cenntury, in 1896-1897, members of the Germania Orchestra conducted by Henry Gordon Thunder gave a series of performances in Musical Fund Hall, subsidized by the Musical Fund Society. This orchestra was the core group of musicians that were to form the Philadelphia Orchestra, founded in 1900 under conductor Fritz Scheel. Encouraged by the Musical Fund Society, the Philadelphia Orchestra rehearsed in Musical Fund Hall in 1900 and 1901 and on a number of occasions thereafter. The Musical Fund Society also supported the Philadelphia Orchestra by helping to raise funds for the Orchestra during a financial crisis in 1919 and by helping financially to establish its summer concerts in Robin Hood Dell in the 1930s.

Thomas Sully (1783-1872), the noted Philadelphia painter, was a member of the Musical Fund Society, served as vice-president, and painted portraits of many of its founders and presidents. These paintings along with other portraits of Musical Fund Society presidents by artists John Clarendon Darley, Rembrandt Peale (1778-1860), Wayman Adams (1883-1959), and Leopold G. Seyffert were dispersed during the 1940s and 1950s (some were given to family members of past-presidents of the Society). A photographic record of these portraits can be found in Box 64.

Musical Fund Hall

All the historical and anecdotal descriptions of Musical Fund Hall praise the building for its unsurpassed acoustics. Located on the 800 block of Locust Street near Washington Square in Philadelphia, the building was constructed in 1824, just a few years after the founding of the Society, with plans developed by William Strickland (1787-1854), the eminent American architect and civil engineer. John K. Kane recalled his part in building Musical Fund Hall: It [the Musical Fund Society] met, and made bad music for a year or two in the third story of Dufief's bookstore, - then hired the hall of the Carpenters' Company, and gave its concerts in the Washington Hall, - till that burnt down, - and then in a moment of lucky delirium we determined to build a hall for ourselves. I bought the ground of Alexander Henry, a church of premature dilapidation, and its graveyard [the Fifth Presbyterian Church]. The Congregation had balked Henry of his ground rent, and Presbyterian Elder and U.S. bankman as he was, he would trust no Corporation. We dug up the dead, such as the living would pay us for removing; and Strickland built us our Hall, over the bones of the others, the doors and windows and everything else that his ingenuity could make convertible being transferred without modification to the new structure. Even the old pew backs, worthless for all purposes else, made our platform for the Orchestra; They were dry enough to vibrate well. Strangely enough, our room, limited in dimensions, proportion, and style by the condition of our treasury, was and is the best music room in the country, and unless all the musicians lie, in the world. (Autobiography of the Honorable John K. Kane, p. 64)

The expenses for the building of the Hall were indeed modest, $23,547.08 for the property, building, and furnishings. From its start the Musical Fund Hall was an enormous success; General Lafayette attended a concert there held in his honor in 1825. Rossini's oratorio Moses in Egypt was performed in 1833. Donizetti's La Favorita made its Philadelphia premiere in the 1830s. Among the famous musicians who performed during the nineteenth century were singers Marie Malibran (in 1826 and 1831); Caradori Allen; Jenny Lind; Adelina Patti; Anna Bishop, wife of the distinguished composer, Sir Henry Bishop; Henriette Sontag; Giulietta Grisi; Erminia Frezzolini; and members of the Italian Opera Company and the Havana Opera Company. The extraordinary Norwegian violinist Ole Bull (1810-1880) appeared in recital in 1843, and in 1844 Henri Vieuxtemps (1820-1881) gave his first recital there on a date (4 May 1844) which unfortunately coincided with the native American riots in Kensington. Camillo Sivori, Paganini's student and successor, performed in the Hall in the 1840s. The Musical Fund Hall had achieved a world-wide reputation for its acoustics, and performers making tours to the United States made special arrangements to perform in this Hall. Jenny Lind (1820-1887) gave eight concerts at Musical Fund Hall in the fall of 1850. Prominent American performers included Louis Moreau Gottschalk (1829-1869), composer and pianist, and Musical Fund Society board member Septimus Winner (1827-1902), composer of "Listen to the Mocking Bird."

Throughout most of the nineteenth century, the Musical Fund Hall provided a steady rental income, which did much to place the organization on a sound financial footing. In addition to the musical performances sponsored by the Musical Fund Society, the Hall was used for political meetings. The Pennsylvania Constitutional Convention met there for ninety days in 1837. The first convention of the national Republican Party was held there in 1856. There were frequent lectures by many distinguished individuals, including Horace Mann, Samuel Lover, Edward Everett, William Makepeace Thackeray, Ralph Waldo Emerson, William H. Furness, Horace Greeley, Henry Ward Beecher, and Conan Doyle.

The completion of Philadelphia's grand opera hall, the Academy of Music, in 1857 affected the primacy of Musical Fund Hall as a venue for classical music performances. Operas with full staging at the Academy proved more attractive than the concerts held in the Hall. However, the Hall was still in demand for balls, meetings, lectures, weddings, and commencement exercises for a number of distinguished music schools. The University of Pennsylvania held commencements there, with faculty, trustees, degree candidates, judges, United States Senators and Representatives, the mayor, and aldermen of the city all marching in the procession to the Hall. Commemorative exercises at the fiftieth anniversary of the Franklin Institute were held there in 1874. In the latter part of the century meetings of the Pennsylvania Rail Road were held in the Hall, as were the state medical examinations for doctors and dentists. The Musical Fund Hall underwent two major renovations in the nineteenth century. In 1847 two members of the Society, architect Napoleon Le Brun (1821-1901) (who later was the architect for the Academy of Music) and artist Franklin Peale planned the alterations, which included an enlargement of the Hall to increase its seating capacity to 1500. The stage was moved from the north end of the building to the south end. A Ladies' Bazaar was held to raise money for the renovations (a great success), and a grand Bazaar Ball was held on 23 December 1847 to celebrate. In 1891 the Hall again underwent a major renovation, removing the wings that had been constructed on the stage and completely changing the facade of the building.

By the turn of the century the Musical Fund Hall had become a venue for widely diverse performances. The Hall's fine acoustics and historic reputation meant that it continued to be booked for classical music performances and pupils' recitals for many of the major musical academies in Philadelphia, particularly the Combs Broad Street Conservatory of Music, the Philadelphia Conservatory of Music, the Philadelphia Musical Academy, the Hyperion School of Music, the Leefson-Hille Conservatory of Music, as well as a number of others. The Musical Fund Hall was used for minstrel shows and vaudeville, for boxing matches, basketball games, political meetings, and services for the Jewish holidays. Annie Besant (1847-1933) lectured in the Musical Fund Hall for the Theosophical Society in 1906. The Greek Orthodox Church, which shares the block with the Musical Fund Hall, engaged the hall for meetings and parties, as did Frank Palumbo, who operated a second restaurant nearby (in addition to his South Philadelphia location).

Noted African-American poets and musicians performed in the Musical Fund Hall. Paul Laurence Dunbar gave a reading there on 17 November 1897. Contralto Marian Anderson (1897-1993) gave a number of performances there, at first as a chorus member of the People's Choral Society and the following year (1916) as soloist (with Roland W. Hayes singing tenor) in the People's Choral Society performance of Handel's Messiah. Programs from some of Marian Anderson's earliest performances in Philadelphia are in the Musical Fund Society Records. Roland Hayes gave several performances in the Hall, often for the benefit of charitable causes. Another important African-American musician was Carl Rossini Diton (1886-1962), organist at St. Thomas's African Episcopal Church in Philadelphia and a noted classical pianist, composer, and arranger: he gave concerts at Musical Fund Hall on a number of occasions. The Italian-American community in Philadelphia used Musical Fund Hall extensively for parish fundraisers, balls, and parties and for benefit concerts to aid victims of earthquakes in Italy. They brought a number of prominent Italian singers to the stage of the Hall. In 1906 the Verdi Italian Orchestral Society directed by Ettore Martini began an annual season of performances in Musical Fund Hall. Many Irish and Jewish fraternal and charitable organizations used the Hall as well, the programs that document these events and organizations (Ms. Coll. 90, Boxes 40-52) contain much material of interest to social historians of Philadelphia.

The Musical Fund Society began to consider selling the Musical Fund Hall in 1918, but the sale was not completed until 1924. There were a number of reasons for the Musical Fund Society to sell the Hall, which required expensive maintenance and repairs in addition to the salary and wages of the superintendent and a number of workers. The rentals of the Hall fell off considerably during the years of World War I and had been up and down over the previous thirty years. The income from rentals no longer covered the expenses of maintaining the Hall, but perhaps the most important reason for the sale was the perception that the Hall and its surrounding neighborhood had lost its former "status."

The sale of Musical Fund Hall to the Philadelphia Labor Institute in 1924 meant that the Society had to find new locations for office space, meetings, and storage for the music library and portraits. The Society had offices at 407 Sansom Street and 400 Chestnut Street in Philadelphia before moving to the Public Ledger Building, where it was situated until 1952. During the time that the Philadelphia Labor Institute was headquartered in the Musical Fund Hall, many more distinguished speakers graced its stage as part of the Labor Institute English Forum. They included Bertrand Russell, Clarence Darrow, James Weldon Johnson, Rabbi W. H. Fineshriber, Arthur Garfield Hayes, and W.E.B. DuBois. The Institute also ran a Yiddish Forum along the same lines as its English Forum, and a Yiddish studio for theater as part of its Drama Guild. There was a Labor Institute Chorus with classes in music theory, harmony and voice culture, and chamber music concerts presented by Shreibman's trio, along with appearances by the best artists from the Jewish stages of Philadelphia and New York.

With the onset of the Depression in the early 1930s, the Philadelphia Labor Institute was not able to make the mortgage payments or pay taxes on the property: the mortgage was foreclosed, and the Musical Fund Hall again became the responsibility of the Musical Fund Society in 1934. It was eventually leased in 1937 to James Toppi, a boxing promoter, and was used mainly for athletic events. In 1945 the building was sold to Yahn & McDonnell, and it became a storage warehouse for tobacco products. The building was acquired by the City of Philadelphia's Redevelopment Authority in 1964, and a number of plans and studies were undertaken to restore the Hall as a musical performance space, cultural center, or museum.

Several members of the Musical Fund Society--notably George E. Nitzsche (1874-1961), Samuel L. Singer, and Sol Schoenbach--were strong advocates for restoring the Hall to its former functions and dignity. The matter was studied for a number of years by Musical Fund Society's Plans and Scope Committee. The building was designated a National Registered Landmark by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The money, however, to operate the Hall as a venue for musical events was not forthcoming, and in 1982 the building was renovated for luxury condominiums. As most of the building’s original integrity has been compromised, landmark designation for the Musical Fund Hall was withdrawn on January 13, 1989. Music Library of the Musical Fund Society

From its inception, the Society appropriated money for the purchase of scores and parts, sheet music, and musical instruments. By 1879 when a catalog of the printed music owned by the Musical Fund was published, the music library numbered 304 pieces and included overtures with full orchestral parts, opera, oratorios, sacred music, symphonies, and chamber music. In 1931 the Society purchased a collection of music known as the Newland-Zeuner Collection—music that had been collected by Charles Zeuner and augmented by William A. Newland near the end of the nineteenth century. In 1933 Dr. Edward I. Keffer donated his large collection of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century sheet music to the Musical Fund Society. Together with its other acquisitions this Library is a valuable record of the repertoire of early music in the United States.

In 1936 the Musical Fund Society entered into an agreement with the Free Library of Philadelphia to house the entire music library of the Society, with ownership retained by the Musical Fund Society. In 1991, when the Musical Fund Society donated its archive to the University of Pennsylvania Library (to be housed in its Rare Book and Manuscript Library), the music library was transferred from the Free Library of Philadelphia to the University of Pennsylvania’s Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center.

Musical Fund Society Competitions for the Composition of New Music

In 1925 the Society announced $10,000 in prizes in a world-wide chamber music contest designed to encourage composers of new music. After long deliberation by the judges, prizes were awarded in 1928: Béla Bartók's Third String Quartet (dedicated to the Musical Fund Society) shared the first prize with Alfred Casella's Serenata. The second prize was shared by H. Waldo Warner and Carlo Jachino. Bartók's string quartet was first performed in Philadelphia at the Bellevue Stratford Hotel to mixed reviews.

On 30 July 1925, "The Edward Garrett McCollin Memorial Fund for the Encouragement of Creative Work in the Higher Forms of Music" was established by the Musical Fund Society with a Trust created by the widow of McCollin. McCollin had been president of the Musical Fund Society from 1910 to 1923 and was one of the key figures in supporting the founding of the Philadelphia Orchestra. The winning composition in 1931 was written by the Catalonian composer, Josep Valls, and is now included in the papers of Edward G. McCollin, held in the University Archives and Records Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The McCollin com¬petitions have been held periodically, whenever sufficient funds have accumulated in the Trust.

Current Activities of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia

Throughout the twentieth century the Musical Fund Society has continued as an active organization sponsoring music and musicians. In the 1930s the Musical Fund Quartet performed the complete chamber music of Brahms in cooperation with the Curtis String Quartet and co-sponsored by the Philadelphia Art Alliance. The Society sponsored a free chamber music series at the Free Library of Philadelphia for most of this century, and has offered many concerts featuring music by Philadelphia and American composers. Over the years the Musical Fund Society has given a number of scholarships to music students and recently began a program to foster the careers of emerging young artists and ensembles through professional counseling by master musicians; by offering debut recitals in New York, Philadelphia, and other cities; through grants toward the purchase of concert quality musical instruments; and by hosting seminars on the ongoing professional and business aspects of musical careers.

In addition to this program that aids individual musicians, the Society gives annual grants to worthy non-profit organizations that carry on the goals of the Musical Fund Society through their own work. In 1983 the Society established a fully tax-exempt foundation, called the Musical Fund Society Foundation, which accepts gifts to further the Society's goals and programs.

Bibliography

Kane, John K. Autobiography of the Honorable John K. Kane 1795-1858. Philadelphia: Privately printed, 1949.

Mactier, William L. A Sketch of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Henry B. Ashmead, 1885.

Madeira, Louis C. Annals of Music in Philadelphia and History of the Musical Fund Society from its organization in 1820 to the year 1858. Edited by Philip H. Goepp. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott Company, 1896.

Nitzsche, George E. "The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia," Philadelphia History 4, No. 6, 1960.

150th Anniversary of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: 1970.

Scope and Contents

The Records and Music Library of the Musical Fund Society were maintained in the Society's offices in Musical Fund Hall until the sale of the Hall in 1924. Since that time several different arrangements have been made for the preservation of these historic documents. In December 1936 an agreement was made with the Free Library of Philadelphia to house the Music Library of the Society, with ownership to the materials retained by the Society. In 1991 these materials were donated by the Musical Fund Society to the University of Pennsylvania Library. The musical scores, parts, and sheet music are now housed in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Van Pelt Library; many have already been individually cataloged. The minute books, engagement books, and other archival materials of the Musical Fund Society were kept in the Society's offices in Philadelphia and in a bank vault. In December 1952, when the Society gave up its offices in the Public Ledger building, some of the historic correspondence and many engagement books and scrapbooks were deposited with the Historical Society of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

Most of the minute books, receipt books, the engagement books for Musical Fund Hall from 1883 to 1918, and some memorabilia were retained by the Society in a bank vault until the Fall of 1986, when a trunk and several tin boxes of records were moved to the Free Library.

This history of transfers of the records of the Musical Fund Society accounts for the limited scope of the correspondence remaining in the collection at the University of Pennsylvania. Most of it dates from 1946 to 1980, the post World War II years, and comprises routine correspondence relating to membership matters, concerts, grants, or to the business of the officers of the Society. There is some important correspondence from the 1920s and 1930s, including the Free Library of Philadelphia correspondence about the deposit of the Music Library and access to it by scholars, as well as the correspondence of Edward I. Keffer and Henry S. Drinker, Jr.

A few nineteenth-century items of correspondence include a note from E. Ives, ca. 1833, requesting the loan of the Messiah orchestra parts for a rehearsal that he was conducting. There is a single letter dated 1867 from Thomas Sully, an active member and officer of the Society.

The series of minutes of the Musical Fund Society is fairly complete up through the end of the bound volumes (ca. 1955). Engagement books for Musical Fund Hall cover the period from 1883 to 1918, a time period when the Hall was used much more frequently for balls, cotillions, union meetings, political meetings, religious services, vaudeville acts, and sporting events than it was for concerts produced by the Musical Fund Society itself. As such, these books document a particularly vibrant time in the life of the ethnically diverse neighborhood of South Philadelphia, near where the Hall was located.

The remaining series are categorized according to the administrative functions of the Society: Board of Directors, Committee on the Music (programs and music competitions), Committee on Relief, Committee on Admissions, Committee of the Fund (including all financial records), and Special Committees. Minutes, records, and committee reports are not complete for the years later than those recorded in the bound minute books; scattered records exist for the 1950s to the early 1980s and more complete records from approximately 1987 to 1993. Related collections

Supplementary to this collection are additional records acquired in a 2004 transfer from the Historical Society of Pennsylvania:

* Ms. Coll. 513. Musical Fund Society Supplementary Records, ca. 1820-2004.

The following collections located in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library of Van Pelt are from the Music Library of the Musical Fund Society:

* Ms. Coll. 35. Béla Bartók. Third String Quartet. 1927. The manuscript score was purchased from the Musical Fund Society in 1991 by Mrs. Eugene Ormandy and donated to the University of Pennsylvania's Eugene Ormandy Archive in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library.

Other winning scores from Musical Fund Society's competitions include:

* Ms. Coll. 93. Alan Leichtling. Concerto for chamber orchestra opus 40. 1966.

* Ms. Coll. 94. Alfredo Casella (1883-1947). Serenata. 1927.

* Ms. Coll. 95. Carlo Jachino (1887-1971). Quartetto in mi minore. 1927.

* Ms. Coll. 96. H. Waldo Warner (1874-1945). Quintet. 1927.

The Keffer Collection of Sheet Music and the Keffer Collection of Music Manuscripts have been completely cataloged on-line at the University of Pennsylvania, with records made available in national databases and world-wide via the internet.

In addition, there several related collections at the University of Pennsylvania:

* Ms. Coll. 186. John Rowe Parker Correspondence: contains a number of letters of Benjamin Carr to Parker (1777-1844).

* Ms. Coll. 53. Philadelphia Art Alliance Records, 1915-1980: contain programs of concerts jointly sponsored by the Musical Fund Society and the Art Alliance. In addition, a number of prominent Philadelphians were active members of both organizations, notably Henry S. Drinker, Jr., Philip H. Goepp, Thaddeus Rich, and Vincent Persichetti.

The University Archives and Records Center of the University of Pennsylvania holds the papers of Edward G. McCollin, past president of the Musical Fund Society. The collection includes his own compositions, scrapbooks related to the Germania Orchestra and founding of the Philadelphia Orchestra, and the winning score from the Musical Fund Society's first McCollin competition by Josep Valls (1931). Also located at the University Archives are the papers of John Kintzing Kane, past president of the Musical Fund Society.

The records of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia are divided physically into two parts: the first consists predominantly of materials dated from 1820 to 1924, the date of the original sale of Musical Fund Hall; the second part consists predominantly of materials dated from 1925 to 1994. There are some exceptions to this overall chronological arrangement. For example, most of the materials related to the history of Musical Fund Hall, including the later proposals for its renovation (through 1982) are with the earlier nineteenth-century materials from Musical Fund Hall. In addition, many of the mortgages and property bonds relating to the purchase of the Musical Fund Hall are located in Oversize Drawer No. 10. Some of the series of bound Minute Books are continuous from 1820 through as late as 1966 and are located in the first part of the records. The second part begins with the general Correspondence series (bulk 1946-1994); this part, however, does include a few items of nineteenth-century correspondence.

The donation included a oil portrait of William Potts Dewees, co-founder of the Musical Fund Society; it was painted by Thomas Sully.

Administrative Information

Publication Information

University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts,  1997

Finding Aid Author

Finding aid prepared by Dr. Maggie Kruesi, revised by Leann Currie

Revision Description

 2004

Access Restrictions

The bulk of this collection is open for research use; however, access to original audio/visual materials and computer files is restricted. The Kislak Center will provide access to the information on these materials from duplicate master files. If the original does not already have a copy, it will be sent to an outside vendor for copying. Patrons are financially responsible for the cost. The turnaround time from request to delivery of digital items is about two weeks for up to five items and three to seven weeks for more than five items. Please contact Reprographic Services (reprogr@upenn.edu) for cost estimates and ordering. Once digital items are received, researchers will have access to the files on a dedicated computer in the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center. Researchers should be aware of specifics of copyright law and act accordingly.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Source of Acquisition

Gift of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia, received in 1991 with additional donations received 1993-1997; some materials integrated from 2004 Historical Society of Pennsylvania transfer.

Electronic Guide

The creation of the electronic guide for this collection was made possible through a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, administered through the Council on Library and Information Resources’ “Cataloging Hidden Special Collections and Archives” Project. The finding aid was entered into the Archivists' Toolkit by Garrett Boos.

Return to Top »

Controlled Access Headings

Form/Genre(s)
  • Audiovisual materials
  • Concert programs
  • Correspondence
  • Financial records
  • Legal documents
  • Memorabilia
  • Photographs
Personal Name(s)
  • Bartók, Béla, 1881-1945
  • Carr, Benjamin, 1768-1831
Subject(s)
  • Music--Societies--19th century
  • Music--Societies--20th century
  • Musical Fund Hall

Return to Top »

Collection Inventory

Part 1. I.  Early Membership. 2 volumes.

Series Description

List of members and roll of officers covering the period from 1820 to 1909; these volumes list all the nineteenth-century members and officers of the Musical Fund Society.

Box
List of Members. Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia., 1820-1904.
Description

Members included both men and women as amateur members, professional members and honorary members. Entries continue until circa 1904.

1

Roll of Officers of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia. Indexed. [Compiled ca. 1909.], 1820-1909.

2

Return to Top »

Part 1. II.  Minutes (bound volumes). 23 boxes.

Series Description

The earliest documents of the Musical Fund Society are these bound minute books dating from 1820. They are divided into four subseries according to administrative and committee functions of the Society: A. Minutes of the Joint Board of Officers, later the Board of Directors, 1820-1966, and Annual and Special Meetings, 1827-1958: Boxes 3-12; B. Rough minutes of the Joint Board of Officers, 1820-1872: Boxes 13-14; C. Minutes of the Committee on the Fund, 1820-1959: Boxes 15-20; D. Minutes of the Committee on the Music, 1820-1947: Boxes 21-25.

A.  Joint Board of Officers, [Board of Directors], 1820-1966, and Annual and Special Meetings, 1823-1958.

Box

Minutes of the proceedings of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia at their stated and other meetings including the Joint Board. January 7, 1820-May 7, 1822 [pp. 1-102]. Minutes of the proceedings of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia, at their stated annual and other meetings May 1, 1827-May 1, 1866 [pp. 107-end]. ["Minutes Volume 1" on spine.] 1 volume.

3

Minutes of Annual and Special Meetings. 1867-1958 Volume 2. Annual reports. Election of officers, membership report, report on number of rentals and income from Musical Fund Hall, deaths of members and officers, report of Committee on Relief to members, widows and children, financial reports, including investments (stocks and bonds). ["Minutes Volume 2" on spine.] 1 volume.

4

Minutes of the Joint Board of Officers. May 31, 1822-December 15, 1831. Minutes of Annual and Special Meetings 1823-1826. ["Minutes of the Joint Board No. 2" on spine.] 1 volume.

5

Minutes of the Joint Board of Officers. January 3, 1832-April 2, 1850. ["Minutes of the Joint Board No. 3" on spine.] 1 volume.

6

Minutes of the Joint Board of Officers. May 14, 1850-April 27, 1875. ["Minutes of the Joint Board No. 4" on spine.] 1 volume.

7

Minutes of the Board of Directors. ["Minutes of the Board of Directors No. 5" on spine, covers off.] 1 volume., May 11, 1875-April 26, 1892.

8

Minutes of the Board of Directors. ["Minutes of the Board of Directors No. 6" on spine.] 1 volume., May 10, 1892-May 4, 1909.

9

Minutes of the Board of Directors. ["Minutes of the Board of Directors No. 7" on spine.] 1 volume., May 11, 1909-April 23, 1929.

10

Minutes of the Board of Directors. 1 volume., May 14, 1929-April 13, 1943.

11

Minutes of the Board of Directors. 1 volume., April 27, 1943-April 26, 1966.

12

B.  Joint Board of Officers, Rough Minutes, 1820-1872.

Box

Vol. A. May 17, 1820-May 1, 1821. J. K. Kane, Secretary. List of members in back of volume. Accounts of members. Original "Act to incorporate the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia, February 28, 1823" was folded in the pages of this volume (now located in oversize drawer). 4 volumes. Vol. B. May 7, 1821-September 28, 1826. List of members in the back of volume. 1 volume. October 3, 1826-July 2, 1833. 1 leaf unbound. Minutes of Board of Managers of the Fund, 1833. 1 volume. October 1, 1833-May 7, 1844. 1 volume.

13

May 14, 1844-April 22, 1862. 2 volumes. May 13, 1862-January 10, 1872. Rough minutes. [Continuation of Minutes of Joint Board of Officers above.] 1 volume.

14

C.  Committee on the Fund, 1820-1959 (except parts of 1906-1908).

Box

Minutes of Board of Managers of the Fund. March 7, 1820-De¬cem¬ber 30, 1828. ["Minutes of Managers 1" on spine.] 1 volume.

15

Rough Minutes of Committee of Distribution [relief]. May 28, 1823-October 1823. Minutes of Board of Managers of the Fund. December 30, 1828-April 2, 1844. Binding broken, covers off. 1 volume.

16

Minutes of the Committee on the Fund. May 21, 1844-September 2, 1862. 1 volume. Minutes of the Committee on the Fund. October 7, 1862-May 17, 1881. 1 volume.

17

Minutes of the Committee on the Fund. May 17, 1881-July 9, 1906. 1 leaf. 1 volume.

18

Minutes of the Committee on the Fund. June 2, 1908-June 22, 1937. 1 volume.

19

Minutes of the Committee of the Fund. September 7, 1937-May 19, 1959. 1 volume.

20

D.  Committee on the Music, 1820-1947 (except 1840-1844 and 1900-1927).

Box

Minutes of Board of Directors [of the Music]. March 1, 1820-November 1, 1831. Minutes relate to organization of orchestra and practicing. ["Minutes of Directors I" on spine.] 1 volume.

21

Minutes of the Directors of the Music. November 8, 1831-January 7, 1833. ["Board of Directors of the Music, Vol. 2" on spine.] 1 volume.

22

Rough Minutes of Directors of the Music. November 2, 1826-October 1, 1833. 5 leaves unbound stuck in bound volume. March 8, 1833; September 21, 1833; October 1, 1833; October 10 and 14, [1833]; October 17 and 26, 1833. 1 volume. Rough Minutes of Directors of the Music. November 12, 1833-October 30, 1840. Re: music to be purchased. 1 volume.

23

Minutes of Committee on Music. May 21, 1844-June 5, 1900. 2 leaves unbound. 1 volume.

24

Minutes of the Committee of Music. June 7, 1927-October 21, 1947. 1 volume.

25

Return to Top »

Part 1. III.  Musical Fund Hall.

Series Description

This series is divided into five subseries:

A. Receipt Books. 10 volumes in 8 boxes. Dating from 1848-1924, the receipt books for Musical Fund Hall include entries on maintenance and wages for people who worked in the Hall.

B. Engagement Books. 6 volumes in 5 boxes. The first 4 volumes cover the engagements in Musical Fund Hall from 1883 to 1918. They include the names of individuals and organizations who rented the hall, notations about the weather, the success of the event, and the behavior of the crowd, and the rental fee. The last two volumes in the series are oversize engagement books that duplicate the years covered in two previous volumes, i.e., 1901 to 1918.

C. Photographs. 1 box.

D. Programs. 13 boxes. This series consists of programs for various events which took place in Musical Fund Hall from 1851 until the sale of the Hall in 1924. Most of the programs date from 1895-1924. For the most part these are programs printed by the beneficial and protective associations, the unions, athletic clubs, social clubs, New Year's Associations (Mummers), religious organizations, and music schools who rented the Hall for balls, weddings, graduations, and benefit concerts. They reflect the ethnic diversity and vitality of the neighborhoods of Philadelphia, particularly South Philadelphia. These groups included immigrant Italian, Irish, Jewish, and African-American community organizations, as well as occupational groups ranging from waiters, cooks, horseshoers, bricklayers, cigar makers, and pressmen to postal workers and firemen.

The programs are arranged chronologically, but within each calendar year they are filed alphabetically by the name of the organization or individual renting the Hall. If an organization sponsored more than one event in a calendar year, the programs for all the events are in one folder for that year. A number of these organizations rented the Hall year after year for their annual balls or meetings.

E. Miscellany, 1891-1982. 3 boxes. Includes legal documents related to the sale and lease of Musical Fund Hall, memorabilia, photographs, studies and correspondence related to the effort to renovate Musical Fund Hall from 1965 to 1982.

A.  Receipt Books.

Box

May 10, 1848-April 24, 1863. Thomas J. Beckett, superintendent.

26

April 30, 1863-November 30, 1871. Thomas J. Beckett, superintendent.

27

December 8, 1871- May 7, 1880. Thomas J. Beckett, superintendent.

28

May 13, 1880-March 30, 1889. Maintenance and wages. Josiah A. Kelch, superintendent.

29

Superintendent's Receipt Books. For rental of hall. No. 11 May 12, 1880-April 4, 1884, Josiah A. Kelch, superintendent; No. 12 April 19, 1884-April 6, 1888, Josiah A. Kelch, superintendent; No. 13 April 17, 1888-May 2, 1892, Josiah A. Kelch and Charles F. Heaton, superintendents.

30

April 15, 1889-November 30, 1894. Maintenance and wages. Josiah A. Kelch and Charles F. Heaton, superintendents.

31

December 3, 1894-April 4, 1906.

32

September 13, 1920-July 21, 1924. Joseph M. Hagan, superintendent.

33

B.  Engagement Books.

Box

No. 7. April 1883-April 1891. Binding broken. [May not be photocopied.] 1 volume.

34

No. 8. April 1891-December 1901. Comments include weather and attendance and deportment of crowds. Remarks on renovations to the building in June 1891. 1 volume.

35

No. 9. List of directors of Musical Fund Society pasted inside first leaf. April 1901-April 1909. Brief remarks on weather, size of crowd, behavior. 1 volume.

36

January 1909-June 1918. 1 volume.

37

"No. 9," 1901-1911. 1 volume. "No. 10," 1911-1918. 1 volume.

38

C.  Photographs.

Box

Photographs show exterior of building after renovation in 1847, exterior and interior of building after renovation in 1891. 12 items.

39

D.  Programs.

Arrangement note

Programs are arranged chronologically, then filed alphabetically by individual or organization within each year.

Box Folder

Folder 3, "Amphion" Concert to benefit Children's Hospital, 1872, Newland-Zeuner Collection, program has annotations re performers, probably in W. A. Newland's hand, 1851, 1872, 1890, 1894, 1895-1901, undated.

40 1-83

1902-1903.

41 84-140

1904.

42 141-179

1905.

43 180-226

1906.

44 227-270

1907.

45 271-314

1908.

46 315-361

1909.

47 362-404

1910.

48 405-441

1911-1912.

49 442-492

1913-1916.

50 493-546

1917-1920.

51 547-604

1921-1924.

52 605-649

E.  Miscellany, 1891-1982.

Box Folder

Musical Fund Hall to be restored...clipping., 1891.

53 650

Letter from Hall manager Charles Y. Heaton to Board of Directors., 1904.

53 651

Modern Mandolin Symphony Orchestra. Flyer (photograph)., undated.

53 652

Southwark Field Club. Letter to Hall manager, Mr. Hagan., 1916.

53 653

Board of Directors Resolution re sale of Musical Fund Hall., 1921.

53 654

Newspaper clipping "One hundred years ago" [on he original opening of Musical Fund Hall]., 1924.

53 655

Title Insurance. Agreement of sale, January 4, 1924.

53 656

Papers re Foreclosure of mortgage of Musical Fund Hall with Workman's Circle Lyceum Federation, 1924-1934.

53 657

Correspondence, real estate tax bills re foreclosure of Musical Fund Hall. Henry S. Drinker, Jr. to Miers Busch., 1930-1934.

53 658

Philadelphia Labor Institute, Joseph Schwartz. Correspondence and financial statement re foreclosure., 1933-1935.

53 659

Lease of Musical Fund Hall to James Toppi, November 15, 1937.

53 660

Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia vs. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Correspondence and legal papers re lease of Hall to Pennsylvania State Emergency Relief Board, 1940.

53 661

Sheriff's Deed, 1945.

53 662

Real estate appraisal by Richard J. Seltzer, February 19, 1945.

53 663

Correspondence with Richard J. Seltzer, realtor., 1941-1945.

53 664

Musical Fund Society notes and minutes re history of sale of Hall, 1945.

53 665

Real estate appraisal by Jackson Cross Co., including 1 photograph, March 10, 1945.

53 666

Correspondence, settlement papers and deed. Sale of Hall to Yahn and McDonnell Corporation, October 5, 1945.

53 667

Alfred Bendiner. Cartoon and article re saving Musical Fund Hall, undated [1960s].

53 668

Clippings and memorabilia re Musical Fund Hall.

53 669

Proposed restoration of Musical Fund Hall, ca. 1965-1982. Correspondence arranged alphabetically. See also files for the Society's Committee on Plans and Scope (Box 84, Folders 1573-1575), which was concerned almost entirely with the plans for Musical Fund Hall..

54

Correspondence A-W, with individuals, real estate companies, historic preservation firms, governmental agencies and the Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority regarding the restoration of Musical Fund Hall.

54 670-710

Newspaper clippings re restoration of Musical Fund Hall, 1965-1982.

54 711

Temple, Charlotte [Secretary to Stanley P. Reimann]. The Musical Fund Society and Hall of Philadelphia. Compiled in 1965. 10 pp. Restoration Possibilities of the Musical Fund Hall. 8 pp, 1965.

55 712

Price Waterhouse & Co., Philadelphia, Pa. Feasibility Study Report Relating to Restoration and Use of Musical Fund Hall. Original and 1 copy., May 16, 1969.

55 713-714

Musical Fund Hall Project 1976. Correspondence and study (2 copies). 1975-1976.

55 715-716

Chin, Ronald D. Rehabilitation of the Musical Fund Hall. Master of Architecture thesis. University of Pennsylvania. 102 pp. Illustrated with numerous interior and exterior color photographs of Musical Fund Hall. Proposed client for this restoration was the Chapel of the Four Chaplains, 1978.

55 717

Return to Top »

Part 1. IV.  Charter, Constitution, By-Laws, 1822-1989. 1 box.

Box Folder

Constitution of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia. Annotated copy. Blue cover., 1822.

56 718

An act to incorporate the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia. 4 photocopies. [Original is in oversize drawer No. 59.], 1823.

56 719

Act of Incorporation, By-Laws, and Orchestral Regulations of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia. Annotated copy. Marbled cover, January 1826.

56 720

Act of Incorporation, By-Laws, and Orchestral Regulations of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia. Marbled cover. This copy was a gift from Ben and Ruth Wolf [see general correspondence 3/28/90]., January 1826.

56 721

Act of Incorporation and By-Laws of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia. Annotated copy. "Dr. Dunglison" written on cover., October 1831.

56 722

Act of Incorporation and By-laws of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia., 1849.

56 723

An Act to amend an Act entitled an Act to incorporate the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia., 1857.

56 724

Act of Incorporation and By-Laws of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia. Annotated copy. "Committee of the fund" on cover., 1878.

56 725

Act of Incorporation and By-Laws of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia. Annotated copies. 2 copies., 1882.

56 726

Act of Incorporation approved February 22, 1823. Amendment thereof, approved April 28, 1857, and By-Laws as revised and amended., May 7, 1912.

56 727

Act of Incorporation approved February 22, 1823. Amendment thereof, approved April 28, 1857, and By-Laws as revised and amended May 7, 1912. Together with a list of the officers and members. Office copy, annotated., September 1912.

56 728

Re Charter and By-Laws. 4 leaves, 1912.

56 729

Act of Incorporation approved February 22, 1823. Amendment thereof, approved April 28, 1857, and By-Laws as revised and amended May 7, 1912. Together with a list of officers and members, historical data and list of portraits. 2 copies., September 1930.

56 730

Charter and By-Laws as amended May 7, 1946 with Deed of Trust of the McCollin Memorial Fund and Deposit Agreement with the Free Library of Philadelphia. 2 copies., 1946.

56 731

Charter and By-Laws as amended May 7, 1946 with Deed of Trust of the McCollin Memorial Fund and Deposit Agreement with the Free Library of Philadelphia together with supplemental lists of officers and members. Annotated Office Copy., 1946.

56 732

By-Laws as last amended. 2 copies., December 21, 1956.

56 733

By-Laws as last amended December 21, 1956, with supplemental lists of officers and members. Annotated office copy., 1957.

56 734

By-Laws. Proposed amendments., 1946-1964.

56 735

Charter and By-Laws. Proposed amendments., 1964-1966.

56 736

Charter and By-Laws as amended May 5, 1964 with list of officers and members, 1966.

56 737

By-Laws. Proposed amendments., 1969.

56 738

Re By-Law amendments. Correspondence Edwin S. Henry, Jr., 1976-1977.

56 739

By-Laws. Proposed amendments., 1987.

56 740

By-Laws. Memo., 1989.

56 741

Abstract of statutory charter of the Musical Fund Society., undated.

56 742

Charter of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia [amended version], undated.

56 743

Return to Top »

Part 1. V.  Histories and Memorabilia. 7 boxes.

Series Description

This material dates from as early as 1811 and includes pamphlets, prints, plays, and memorabilia. A few items are from the Newland-Zeuner collection (mostly comprising music scores), notably the account book of William A. Newland.

Box Folder

“Oration on Masonry, delivered at St. John's Church, in the City of Philadelphia, at the request of the right worshipful Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania, on St. John's Day, June 24, 1811.” By James Milnor, Esquire, Grand Master. To which is prefixed an account of the procession, and of the ceremonies attending the consecration and dedication of the new Masonic Hall. [penciled note: New Masonic hall dedication 1811 July 24 Contains Carr and Taylor songs.] Pamphlet, no cover. 41 pp, ca. 1811.

57 744

"Concert of Sacred Music. Vocal and Instrumental by the Handelian Society. Samuel Dyer." March 21, 1815. Advertisement with program. With attached letter from Henry S. Drinker, Jr., September 20, 1954.

57 745

D. I. Ruddach. Musical Fund Society Membership card, October 1837.

57 746

Septimus Winner. Drama March. "Composed & respectfully dedicated to Edwin Forrest Esqr. by Sep: Winner." Cover lithograph only (no music) [depicts Edwin Forrest], 1857.

57 747

Clara Austin. Broadside ballad. “Composed and Written by Mrs. Clara Austin Whose Husband was killed in a Coal Mine at Tower City, Pa. November 18, 1881.” Newland-Zeuner Collection, ca. 1881.

57 748

George P. Kimball. "The Choral School of the Musical Fund Society." Quarterly report, June 4, 1886.

57 749

Ancient Oder Hibernians, Division No. 7, Ticket for annual ball, February 1, 1887.

57 750

Fortnight Club. Invitation, 1896.

57 751

Musical Fund Society annual meeting and collation. Menu, May 1, 1917.

57 752

Nicolo Paganini. Lock of his hair presented to the Musical Fund Society, 1924.

57 753

Arch Street Theatre, Philadelphia, Pa. Drawn and engraved by J. Yeager, undated.

57 754

"David Garrick Esqr." [Print depicts Garrick learning Macbeth], undated.

57 755

W. H. Boner and Company, Philadelphia, Pa. "Catalogue of Musical Publications." Newland-Zeuner collection, undated [mid 19th century].

57 756

Walnut Street Theatre, Philadelphia, Pa. Print, undated.

57 757

Board of Directors resolutions, 1880-1893.

57 758

Committee of Music, appointments, 1887-1903.

57 759

Committee of the Fund, treasurer's reports, 1871-1897.

57 760

Committee of the Fund, correspondence, resolutions, 1903-1918.

57 761

John K. Kane. Autobiography of the Honorable John K. Kane (1795-1858). Written from 1848-1849. Philadelphia: Privately printed. [A few pages from this autobiography discuss the history of the Musical Fund Society.], 1949.

58 762

William L. Mactier. "A Sketch of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia," Read before the Society, January 20, 1885. Philadelphia: Press of Henry B. Ashmead, 1885, 1885.

58 763

The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia, 1820-1910, 1910.

58 764

The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia, 1820-1910.

58 765-766

The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia Centenary, May 4, 1920.

58 767

Brief history of Musical Fund Society, ca. 1930s.

59 768

Histories, 1942-ca. 1945.

59 769

George E. Nitzsche. "The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia." Essay read before the City History Society of Philadelphia, reprinted in several publications, 1954, 1960.

59 770-771

150th Anniversary of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia, 1970.

59 772-773

University of Pennsylvania, Van Pelt Library, Kamin Gallery Exhibition on the history of Musical Fund Society. Exhibition label copy, April 18-June 14, 1995.

59 774

Notes on history of Musical Fund Society, undated.

59 775

Paul Burani. Wives Insured, undated.

60 776

Max Maurey. Rosalie. [in French], undated.

60 777

Hippilyte Raymond and Maxime Boucheron. Cocard et Bicquet. In three act [in French]. First presented in Paris in 1888.

60 778-780

Envelope Waterloo Medals awarded to Adolph Schmitz (1796-1890), teacher of music at the Musical Fund Society's Academy of Music, founded in 1825 and discontinued in 1931.

61

Certificates, awarded to Adolph Schmitz (in German), 1816 and 1863.

61 781

Correspondence, Charles M. Schmitz and William H. Hollis, 1909.

61 782

Waterloo Medals. Booklet. Translations (from German to English) of award.

61 783

Photographs of medals, 1909.

61 784

Memorabilia (8 items): Printer's plate. Illustration of Musical Fund Hall. Printer's plate. Invitation to award presentation for 1928 Chamber Music Contest. [copper plate, engraved] Printer's plate. Invitation. 193? Brass name plate. "Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia." Conductor's baton. Wood, end is broken off. 3 rubber stamps. "Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia.".

62

William A. Newland (composer, conductor, organist). Account book. Missing first leaf (pp. 1-2); second leaf in mylar. Newland-Zeuner Collection., 1834-1868 (Bulk, 1843-1868) .

63

Return to Top »

Part 1. VI.  Photographs. 2 boxes.

Scope and Contents note

Photographs of the portraits of past presidents of the Musical Fund Society, prize winners, and a few publicity shots.

Box
30 photographs.
Scope and Contents note

1. Benjamin Carr, founding member, conductor, director of music, portrait by John Clarendon Darley

2. George Schetky, founding member, conductor, director of music, portrait by John Clarendon Darley

3. Benjamin Cross, conductor, director of music, portrait by Thomas Sully

4. William P. Dewees, president 1820-1838, portrait by Thomas Sully

5. Francis Gurney Smith, treasurer 1820-1864, portrait by Thomas Sully

6. George Campbell, secretary, 1827-1856, portrait by Thomas Sully

7. Robert M. Patterson, president 1838-1853, portrait by Thomas Sully

8. John K. Kane, president 1854-1856, portrait by Thomas Sully

9. Robley Dunglison, president 1856-1869, portrait by Thomas Sully

10. Thomas Sully, vice-president, 1860-1873, self-portrait

11. Franklin Peale, president 1869-1870, portrait by Thomas Sully

12. Franklin Peale, president 1869-1870, portrait by Rembrandt Peale

13. Mrs. Charles Willson Peale (Elizabeth De Peyster), portrait by Charles Willson Peale

14. Mrs. Julia Wood as "Anima" in the opera "La Somnanibula," portrait by John Neagle

15. Edward G. McCollin, president 1910-1923, portrait by Wayman Adams

16. Murray Gibson, president 1923-1926, portrait by Leopold Seyffert

17. Dr. Gilbert Raynolds Combs, president 1927-1934

18. Edward Brooks Keffer, president 1947-1961

19. A. Carson Simpson, president 1961-1964

20. Adolph Vogel, President 1964-1967 21. Adolph Vogel receives honorary degree of Doctor of Music at Annual Meeting, May 1976

22. E. Brooks Keffer, Jr. 23-24. Photographs of portraits of founding members Ann Dallet Gilles (or Gillies) and Elijah Dallett, sent by descendent Francis James Dallett, Jr. 25-26. Mabel Garrison as "Jenny Lind," performance for the 100th anniversary of the Musical Fund Society, May 4, 1920. 2 copies, incorrect date on tissue paper [see programs]

27. H. Waldo Warner, second place winner in Chamber Music Competition, October 1928, autographed photograph

28. Alfredo Casella, first place winner in Chamber Music Competition, 1929, autographed photograph

29-30. 2 unidentified photographs [of presidents?]

64

Photograph album. Photographs of the portraits of past presidents of the Musical Fund Society, plus a photograph of Murray Gibson.

65

Return to Top »

Part 2. I.  General Correspondence, 1833-1994 (Bulk, 1946-1994) . 8 boxes.

Series Description

Correspondence related to general Society business, membership, and grants to non-profit organizations and to individuals. Note that legal correspondence is in the next series (Box 74), financial correspondence is with financial records (Boxes 91-92) and correspondence related to the proposed renovation of Musical Fund Hall is located with other materials related to the Hall (Boxes 53-54).

Box Folder

Abramovic, Charles--Busch, Miers.

66 785-857

Camerata Strings of Philadelphia--Ezerman, Willem.

67 858-937

Faragalli, Michael--Hayes, Cassandra.

68 938-1014

Heaton, Wallace--Krush, Jay.

69 1015-1086

Laciar, Samuel L.--Mozart on the Square.

70 1087-1155

Mumford, Jeffrey--Purcell, Susan.

71 1156-1225

Radu, Valentin--Symphony Club of Philadelphia.

72 1226-1312

Tarr, Lawrence--Zur, M.

73 1313-1374

Return to Top »

Part 2. II.  Legal Documents and Correspondence, 1888-1974. 1 box.

Series Description

Chiefly concerns additions to the Society’s Music Library, as well as its deposit at the Free Library of Philadelphia. Also includes documentation regarding bequests to the Society.

Box Folder

Properties on Dauphin Street. Alfred H. Williams, 1888.

74 1375

Property at 407 Sansom Street, 1928.

74 1376

Lease. 400 Chestnut Street, 1930.

74 1377

Correspondence re 234 S. Darien St. and 213 Schell St, 1941-1946.

74 1378

Correspondence and lease. Public Ledger Building, 1949-1952.

74 1379

Trust agreement with D. Hendrik Ezerman Foundation, 1930; correspondence, 1930-1942, 1930-1942.

74 1380-1381

Newland-Zeuner Collection report and purchase, 1931.

74 1382-1383

Agreement of sale re Hopkinson manuscripts [forged] with Charles J. Nagy, 1933.

74 1384

Correspondence of Henry S. Drinker, counsel for the Musical Fund Society re Musical Fund Hall and purchase of Hopkinson manuscripts, 1933-1935.

74 1385-1387

Free Library of Philadelphia. Agreement re Musical Fund Society Music Library, 1936.

74 1388-1390

Gilbert Raynolds Combs will and subsequent actions related to his estate, 1933-1986.

74 1391-1396

Meyer L. Casman claim re Musical Fund Society relief provisions, 1969-1974.

74 1397-1398

Return to Top »

Part 2. III.  Musical Fund Society Programs, Events, Announcements, 1945-1994. 2 boxes.

Note

Holdings incomplete.

Box Folder

Programs for musical events, 1944-1976.

75 1399-1430

Programs for musical events 1976-1994, undated; for 1989-1994 includes announcements for Winter Receptions and Annual Collations, 1976-1994.

76 1431-1453

Return to Top »

Part 2. IV.  Musical Fund Society Newsletter, 1976-1993. 1 box.

Note

Later called Musical Fund Note, 1976-1992. Irregularly published newsletter; holdings incomplete.

Box Folder

Holdings incomplete.

77 1454-1466

Return to Top »

Part 2. V.  Annual Lists of Officers and Members, 1946-1994. 1 box.

Note

Holdings incomplete.

Box Folder

List of first officers of the Musical Fund Society.

78 1467

Officers and members, 1946-1947.

78 1468

Directors, officers, and members, 1953-1994.

78 1469-1473

Return to Top »

Part 2. VI.  Musical Fund Society Annual Reports, 1928-1994. 1 box.

Series Description

Complete holdings for the years 1918 to 1959; no holdings for 1960 to 1967; incomplete holdings for annual meeting minutes and annual reports for 1968 to 1994.

Box Folder

Annual Reports, 1928-1959.

79 1474-1477

Annual Meetings, Minutes, Agendas, not complete, 1968-1987.

79 1478-1487

Annual Meetings, Minutes and Annual Reports, 1989-1994.

79 1488-1495

Return to Top »

Part 2. VII.  Board of Directors, 1946-1994. 1 box.

Series Description

Minutes, agendas, and resolutions of the Board. Holdings incomplete.

Box Folder

Resolutions, minutes, not complete, 1946-1987.

80 1496-1508

Minutes, 1988-1994.

80 1509-1519

Return to Top »

Part 2. VIII.  Musical Fund Society Foundation, 1983-1993. 1 box.

Series Description

Administrative documents related to the Foundation. Holdings incomplete.

Box Folder

Notice of incorporation, first meeting, 1983.

81 1520

Minutes and annual reports, 1983-1990.

81 1521-1523

Copy of By-Laws, 1991.

81 1524

Minutes and annual reports, 1991-1993.

81 1525-1528

Financial statements, 1989-1993.

81 1529

Fundraising.

81 1530-1532

Brochures, stationary.

81 1533

Return to Top »

Part 2. IX.  Musical Fund Society Standing Committees and Special Committees, 1925-1994. 9 boxes.

Series Description

Includes minutes, special reports, correspondence for all of the Society’s committees. The work of the Committee on the Music includes the chamber music competition of 1928.

A.  Special Committees.

Box Folder

Nominating Committee, not complete, 1970-1993.

82 1534-1536

Committee on Admissions. 2 items, 1918-1932.

82 1537

Committee on Admissions, not complete, 1968-1993.

82 1538-1545

Membership list, historical.

82 1546

Membership forms, notices, 1986-1992.

82 1547

Membership applications, 1984-1987.

82 1548-1550

Membership lists, 1968-1993.

82 1551-1556

Membership dues, 1986-1991.

82 1557

Committee list, undated.

83 1558

Report of the Special Committee to Tabulate the Music, October 1936.

83 1559

Committee on portraits owned by the Musical Fund Society, includes correspondence with Alfred H. Peiffer regarding appraisal of the portraits in May 1930, 1952; May 1930.

83 1560

Committee of the Sesqui-Centennial of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia, 1967.

83 1561

150th Anniversary of the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia, 1971.

83 1562

Historical Committee, 1971-1981.

83 1563

Historical Committee, James C. Dorsey's Archivist reports and notes, 1968-1973.

83 1564-1565

Bicentennial Committee of the Musicall Fund Society, 1973.

83 1566

Committee on Constitution and By-Laws, 1975. see also folder 718.

83 1567

Ad Hoc Committee. Minutes and reports, 1980-1990.

83 1568-1570

Bartok Manuscript Committee, 1985-1986.

83 1571

Musical Fund Society Archives at the U. of Pennsylvania, 1994.

83 1572

Committee on Plans and Scope, mostly re plans to renovate Musical Fund Hall, 1965-1977.

84 1573-1575

Committee on Scholarships and Education, 1977-1982.

85 1576-1577

Committee on Career Advancement, minutes, 1982-1989.

85 1578-1584

Committee on Career Advancement, correspondence and agendas, 1981-1989.

85 1585-1591

Committee on Career Advancement and the American Academy in Rome, 1984-1988.

85 1592

Committee on Career Advancement, applications and Career Advancement seminars, 1984-1993.

83 1593-1597

Audio tapes of Seminar on Careers in Music. Edward Arian (side A); Matthew Dooley (side B); Bob Grossman, Christopher Keene (side C); Livia Blumenthal (side D); John Gingrich, Jay Hoffman (side E); Ray Green, Jay Hoffman (side F). 3 audio cassette tapes, recorded by Magnetik Productions [RESTRICTED], undated.

85 1598

B.  Standing Committees.

Box Folder

Chamber Music Competition, Announcements and program for concert of prize-winning compositions at the Bellevue-Stratford Hotel, December 30, 1928.

86 1599

Chamber Music Competition, Announcements and correspondence, 1927-1929.

86 1600-1604

Edward Garrett McCollin Memorial Fund. Deed of Trust, 30 July 1925.

86 1605

Edward Garrett McCollin Memorial Fund announcements and correspondence for contests, 1932, 1948, 1954, 1963-1964, 1969, 1979.

86 1606-1626

Distinguished Artist Award, 1988-1993.

86 1627-1628

Young Musicians' Recitals, 1945-1954.

87 1629-137

Young Musicians' Recital, publicity, including 7 photographs of prize winners, 1954.

87 1638

1949-1956. Includes correspondence re Young Musicians' Recitals and McCollin contest, 1954.

87 1639-1644

Minutes, reports. [incomplete], 1958-1993.

87 1645-1651

Special concerts, 1979.

88 1652

Special concerts. 1 audio cassette tape for Bristol Memorial Concert at Sts. Peter and Paul, Philadelphia, 11/01/81, Peter Lamanna Conducting [RESTRICTED], 1981.

88 1653

Special concerts. Works by Robert Capanna, 1985.

88 1654

Entertainment Committee, 1966, 1975.

88 1655-1656

Committee files, meetings and reports, 1943-1993.

89 1657-1660

Correspondence files, arranged alphabetically, with individual widows receiving relief, 1913-1978.

89 1661-1670

Finance Committee, not complete, 1967-1984.

90 1671-1674

Committee of the Fund, projected income, 1977, 1980-1987.

90 1675

Committee of the Fund, notices, reports, 1988-1990.

90 1676

Committee of the Fund, Grants. On formulating grants guidelines.

90 1677

Committee of the Fund, minutes, not complete, 1966-1988.

90 1678-1680

Committee of the Fund, minutes, 1988-1994.

90 1681-1693

Return to Top »

Part 2. X.  Financial Correspondence and Records, 1920-1994. 6 boxes.

Series Description

Includes correspondence (incomplete) of the Society’s secretaries and treasurers from 1938 to 1992 and statements from the Society’s investment companies and banks, as well as tax returns and audits.

A.  Secretaries, Treasurers, and Accountants for the Musical Fund Society, 1938-1992.

Scope and Contents note

Dates listed are inclusive dates of correspondence in the folders, not the dates of tenure of the officers of the Society.

Box Folder

Robert Meade Smith, Jr. (Treasurer), 1938-1969.

91 1694

Spencer P. Hazard (Secretary), 1952-1956.

91 1695-1696

Arthur Claffy (Secretary), 1967-1972.

91 1697-1698

Charles H. Hanby (Accountant), 1974-1980.

91 1699

Charles F. Ludwig (Secretary), 1975-1980.

91 1700

William E. Vauclain, 1976-1984.

91 1701

George J. Lincoln III (Treasurer), 1984-1986.

91 1702

Mimi O'Malley (for Mr. Lincoln), 1985-1987.

91 1703

Horace W. Schwarz (Treasurer), 1986-1989.

91 1704

Edith A. Reinhardt (Treasurer), 1989-1992.

91 1705

Secretary's lists. Contents of Financial Records in Tin Box, undated (ca. 1956).

91 1706

Form letters, samples, and forms.

91 1707

Stationary, brochures.

91 1708

B.  Insurance, Correspondence and Policies.

Box Folder

Hare & Chase, Robert Meade Smith. Re Fine arts policy and a liability claim, 1939-1940.

92 1709

Insurance Company of North America, 1951-1969.

92 1710

Marsh & McLennan, 1980-1986.

92 1711

Maryland Casualty Company, 1928.

92 1712

Narrigan Associates, 1981-1987.

92 1713

Stokes, Packard & Smith, 1953.

92 1714

C.  Accountants, Banks, Investment Companies.

Box Folder

Miscellaneous correspondence re stocks and bonds, 1950-1952.

92 1715

Central Penn National Bank, 1945.

92 1716

Fidelity Bank, 1968-1987.

92 1717

Fidelity Philadelphia Trust Company, 1934-1965.

92 1718-1723

Girard Bank, 1972.

92 1724

Ichan Group, Inc, 1985.

92 1725

Kidder, Peabody & Co, 1986.

92 1726

Mathison, Aitken & Co., accountants, 1965-1988.

92 1727-1728

Mellon Bank re estate of Gilbert R. Combs, 1985-1986. see Box 74, Folders 1391-1396.

92 1729

PSFS, 1983-1989.

92 1730

Provident National Bank, 1986-1987.

92 1731

Tacony-Palmyra Bridge Company, 1948.

92 1732

United States. Treasury Dept, 1951.

92 1733

W.E. Hutton & Co, 1948-1955.

92 1734-1736

Western Saving Fund Society, 1954.

92 1737

D.  Investments (Statements), 1934-1994.

Box Folder

Schedule of Bonds and Stocks Owned, 1934.

93 1738

Investment statements, 1963, 1975, 1978. for other years see Treasurer's Financial Statements, Box 94.

93 1739-1741

Investment Statements, Fidelity Bank, 1980-1986.

93 1742-1755

Investment Statements, 1986-1994.

93 1756-1763

E.  Musical Fund Society Treasurers' Financial Statements.

Box Folder

Treasurer's Financial Statements, 1951-1987.

94 1764-1792

Treasurer's Financial Statements, 1988-1994.

95 1793-1799

F.  Auditors' Reports.

Box Folder

Auditors' Reports Upon Examination of Accounts, 1928-1944.

96 1800-1816

Auditors' Reports Upon Examination of Accounts, 1945-1979.

97 1817-1844

Report upon Examination of Financial Statements, 1980-1990.

98 1845-1853

G.  Tax Reports and Exemptions (City, State, and Federal).

Box Folder

Pennsylvania taxes and sales and use tax exemptions.

99 1854-1856

Philadelphia taxes and wage tax.

99 1857-1858

United States. Internal Revenue Service, exemption letter. (photostat), 1942.

99 1859

United States. Internal Revenue Service, victory tax, 1942-1943.

99 1860

United States. Internal Revenue Service, exemption letters, 1965-1987.

99 1861

Income Tax Returns, not complete for all years, 1929-1986.

99 1862-1868

Employer's Tax Returns and forms, not complete, 1943-1984.

99 1869-1873

H.  Invoices/Receipts for Society Expenses.

Box Folder

1963-1964.

100 1874

1980-1988.

100 1875-1890

I.  Vouchers.

Box Folder

Musical Fund Hall, April 7, 1920-March 30, 1922.

101 1891-1900

Society expenses, 1952-1953.

102 1901

Relief account, 1952-1955.

102 1902-1905

J.  Receipts and Disbursements (bound volumes), 1933-1985.

Box

September 1933-July 1944 [pp. 2-349]. Journal entries: March 1934-March 1950 [pp. 350-400]. 1 volume. August 1944-November 1955 [pp. 2-349]. Journal entries: April 1950-December 1955 [pp. 350-384]. 1 volume.

103

December 1955-September 1967. Journal entries: January 1956-December 1984. 1 volume.

104

October 1967-May 1985. 1 volume.

105

K.  Ledgers.

Box Folder

Entries arranged alphabetically. 1 volume, ca. 1935-1953.

106

Entries arranged alphabetically. 1 volume, ca. 1957-1986.

107

Ledger entries, loose sheets, re investments.

107 1906

Ledger entries, loose sheets, 1957-1983.

107 1907

Ledger pad. 1 volume, 1985-1987.

108

L.  Accounts, Checks, and Statements. [not complete for all years], 1925-1986.

Box Folder

Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Company. Edward G. McCollin Fund, check stubs, 1925-1952; canceled checks, 1946-1956.

109 1908-1913

Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Company, general account, bank statements, March 1945-April 1958.

110 1914-1921

Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Company, check stubs. 2 volumes, January 1943-October 1957.

111

Fidelity-Philadelphia Trust Company. Edward G. McCollin Fund, check book. 1 volume, 1963-1964.

112

Central Penn National Bank, canceled checks, 1945-1956.

113 1922-1930

Central Penn National Bank, check stubs. 4 volumes, 1945-1956.

114

Fidelity Bank, check stubs, 1 volume. October 1973-April 1977. Fidelity Bank, check stubs, 1 volume. April 1977-November 1978. Fidelity Bank, check stubs, 1 volume. November 1978-July 1980, 1973-1980.

115

Fidelity Bank, 1 volume. check stubs, July 1980-March 1982. Fidelity Bank, check stubs, March 1982-December 1983. Fidelity Bank, check stubs, December 1983-October 1985. Fidelity Bank, check stubs, October 1985-December 1986, 1980-1986.

116

Fidelity Bank, statements, June 1980-May 1983.

117 1931-1933

Fidelity Bank, statements, June 1983-October 1986.

118 1934-1937

Fidelity Bank, McCollin Fund, savings, 1972-1985.

118 1938

Fidelity Bank, Musical Fund Society Foundation, check stubs. 1 volume, November 1985-November 1986.

119

Provident National Bank, canceled checks, 1986-1988.

120 1939

Return to Top »

Part 2. XI.  Catalogs. 6 boxes.

Series Description

The first four boxes contain catalogs to the Musical Fund Society's Chamber Music collection. The fifth is a catalog prepared in 1974 of the orchestral and choral music in the collection dated prior to 1840. The last box contains various lists of music that were compiled by the Society at different times. The musical scores and parts are cataloged individually and housed in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library.

Box

Chamber Music. Piano and other instruments. 1 volume.

121

Two pianos. Sonatas. 1 volume Chamber Music. Piano trios and other pieces. 1 volume.

122

Miscellaneous Chamber Music. 1 volume.

123

String Chamber Music. 2 volumes.

124

Catalog of Orchestral and Choral Compositions. Published and in manuscript between 1790 and 1840. 2 copies, Printed 1974.

125

Lists of music and miscellaneous, 1940-1944.

126

Return to Top »

Part 2. XII.  Oversize.

Series Description

Drawer No. 10 contains the original act of incorporation for the Musical Fund Society (1823); numerous mortgages and property bonds relating to the Musical Fund Hall; historic photographs; architect’s drawings for the renovation of Musical Fund Hall (1960s); and posters.

A.  Musical Fund Hall.

Drawer

Deed: Anne Mifflin to Perry Warren re house and lot on Blackberry Alley, February 15, 1814.

10

Deed: Alexander Henry and wife to the Reverend James K. Burch, March 30, 1815.

10

Deed: The Reverend James K. Burch and wife to Joseph Montgomery, April 12, 1817.

10

Deed: Alexander Henry and wife to the Fifth Presbyterian Congregation of the City of Philadelphia, March 30, 1815. Includes endorsement: The Fifth Presbyterian Congregation of the City of Philadelphia to Alexander Henry, April 1, 1824.

10

Mortgage: The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia to the Philadelphia Saving Fund Society, December 15, 1824.

10

Account of expenditures in building of the Musical Fund Hall. 2 leaves, March 16, 1825.

10

Bond and Warrant: The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia to Joseph Montgomery, November 29, 1825.

10

Mortgage: The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia to Joseph Montgomery, November 29, 1825.

10

Bond and Warrant: The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia to the Philadelphia Saving Fund Society, December 15, 1825.

10

Bond: The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia to the Philadelphia Saving Fund Society, December 31, 1830.

10

Mortgage: The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia to the Philadelphia Saving Fund Society, December 31, 1830.

10

Bond: The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia to the Philadelphia Saving Fund Society, June 25, 1847.

10

Mortgage: The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia to the Philadelphia Saving Fund Society, re Hall renovations, June 25, 1847.

10

Deed: Alexander Henry and wife to the Reverend James K. Burch, March 30, 1815. Includes endorsement: John K. Mitchell, et. al. to Martha H. Chambers, August 14, 1848.

10

Deed: James A. Freeman to Nancy H. Freeman for premises on Blackberry Alley, February 2, 1854.

10

Bond and Warrant: The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia to the American Fire Insurance Co, January 6, 1862.

10

Mortgage: The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia to the American Fire Insurance Co, January 6, 1862.

10

Deed: Mrs. Nancy H. Freeman to Sarah Ann Mitchell for the property at no. 234 Blackberry Alley (now S. Darien St.), October 25, 1866.

10

Bond and Warrant: Sarah Ann Mitchell to James A. Freeman, October 25, 1866.

10

Mortgage: Sarah Ann Mitchell to James A. Freeman, October 25, 1866.

10

Deed: S. Weir Mitchell and Alexander Henry to Letitia H. Harrison and Nathaniel Chapman Mitchell for property at nos. 235, 237, and 239 Duponceau St. (now S. Darien St.), June 4, 1881.

10

Deed: George L. Harrison and wife to S. Weir Mitchell for property at nos. 235, 237, and 239 Duponceau St. (now S. Darien St.), June 6, 1881.

10

Release of liens to the building committee for the Musical Fund Hall, April 15, 1892.

10

Architects' drawings for planned renovations of Musical Fund Hall. Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority. 25 leaves, 1960s-1970s.

10

B.  Concerts.

Drawer

Program for concert by pupils of Miss Emma I. James, Philadelphia, May 9, 1898.

10

Young Artists Recitals. Posters, ca. 1945-1954.

10

C.  Histories.

Drawer

"Act to incorporate the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia", February 28, 1823.

10

Photograph of Musical Fund Society members on steps of Musical Fund Hall. (sometime after the Hall was remodeled in 1891?) [very fragile item, in foam board], undated.

10

Items commemorating the 100th anniversary of Musical Fund Society: copy of letter from Jenny Lind's daughter mounted on board. Gift of Mrs. Cary W. Bok.

10

150th Anniversary of Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia. Resolution by Philadelphia City Council, May 21, 1970.

10

Poster. The University of Pennsylvania Library exhibition. "The Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia, 175 Years of Musical Patronage." Kamin Gallery, April 18-June 14, 1995.

10

Return to Top »