New Franklin Help
Searching - Field Searching from Menus
To limit your search to a specific field (author, title, call number, etc.), use the pull-down menus in the Basic or Advanced
Search. Information about searching selected fields is provided here.
- An Author search is a keyword search of the author fields. You can enter the names in any order.
- If you search only a last name and get too many results, you can use the Author/Creator limit on the left to narrow your
search to a specific author.
- To do a proximity search use the tilde, "~", symbol following a phrase search
"william buckley"~2 finds william AND buckley within 2 words of each other.
- You can use just parentheses around two names in the author field, but since the order of the author's name is
last name, first name in the author fields of a record, "russo richard" will get more hits than "richard
- Author searching with a last name and truncated initial (hardy t*) is not very functional as the search is translated to hardy AND t*. Also, truncation cannot be used within a phrase/quotation marks
- Title searches are not left anchored, they are keyword searches of the title fields.
- We live in water searches we and live and in and water,
however, due to relevance factors, the closest
matches will be at the top of the results.
- To search a title as a phrase, enter it in quotes: "way of all flesh"
- the is a stopword.
- Subject searches are not left anchored, they are keyword searches of the subject fields.
- If your search gets too many search, use the Subject or Classification limits to narrow your search.
- Form/Genre searches are not left anchored, they are keyword searches of the form/genre fields.
- Currently only videorecordings and manuscripts are displayed in the Genre limit, but all form/genre information
is keyword and field searchable.