New Franklin Help
Searching - Field Searching from Menus
To limit your search to a specific field (author, title, call number, etc.), use the pull-down menus in the Basic or Advanced Search. Information about searching selected fields is provided here.
- An Author search is a keyword search of the author fields. You can enter the names in any order.
- If you search only a last name and get too many results, you can use the Author/Creator limit on the left to narrow your
search to a specific author.
- To do a proximity search use the tilde, "~", symbol following a phrase search
"william buckley"~2 finds william AND buckley within 2 words of each other.
- You can use just parentheses around two names in the author field, but since the order of the author's name is
last name, first name in the author fields of a record, "russo richard" will get more hits than "richard
- Author searching with a last name and truncated initial (hardy t*) is not very functional as the search is translated to hardy AND t*. Also, truncation cannot be used within a phrase/quotation marks
- Title searches are not left anchored, they are keyword searches of the title fields.
We live in water searches we and live and in and water,
however, due to relevance factors, the closest
matches will be at the top of the results.
- To search a title as a phrase, enter it in quotes: "way of all flesh"
the is a stopword.
- Subject searches are not left anchored, they are keyword searches of the subject fields.
- If your search gets too many search, use the Subject or Classification limits to narrow your search.
- Form/Genre searches are not left anchored, they are keyword searches of the form/genre fields.
- Currently only videorecordings and manuscripts are displayed in the Genre limit, but all form/genre information
is keyword and field searchable.