Access, holdings & availability
- Amsterdam : KIT Publishers ; Utrecht : Centraal Museum, c2009.
199 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 28 cm.
- Art, Indonesian -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.
Art, Indonesian -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.
Art, Dutch -- Influence -- Exhibitions.
- "Beyond the Dutch" gives a colourful picture of that struggle. Leading artists, curators and historians from Indonesia and the Netherlands have pored over a series of questions posed by the history of art in the Dutch East Indies/Indonesia. What was and still is Dutch about Indonesian art? What relationship does it have with Western techniques and views on art? How does contemporary art in Indonesia and the Netherlands allow for the links between the two countries? And how do we actually perceive Indonesian art? "Beyond the Dutch" is being published to accompany the exhibition of the same name at the Centraal Museum in Utrecht. The book takes three cross-sections through fine art in the Dutch East Indies/Indonesia: the colonial period around 1900, decolonisation and independence around 1950, and the current, post-colonial period around 2000. Only by taking a detailed look at these three pivotal moments can a clear picture be obtained of the turbulent development of art in Indonesia. Exhibition: Oktober 16, 2009 to January 10, 2010.
- Published to accompany the exhibition at the Centraal Museum in Utrecht from 16 October 2009 to 10 January 2010.
Also published 2009 in Dutch with title: Beyond the Dutch : Indonesië, Nederland en de beeldende kunsten van 1900 tot nu.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Dr. Craig Baxter Memorial Fund.
- Knol, Meta.
Raben, R. (Remco)
Centraal Museum (Utrecht, Netherlands)
Dr. Craig Baxter Memorial Fund.
- Web link:
- The Dr. Craig Baxter Memorial Fund Home Page