Access, holdings & availability
- Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland, c2010.
vi, 212 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Sailors -- United States -- Biography.
Sailors -- Great Britain -- Biography.
Impressment -- History -- 18th century.
Impressment -- History -- 19th century.
United States -- History, Naval -- 18th century.
United States -- History, Naval -- 19th century.
Great Britain -- History, Naval -- 18th century.
Great Britain -- History, Naval -- 19th century.
Pirates -- History.
Seafaring life -- History.
- "This book provides an historical overview of impressment, in which naval officers oversaw a gang that abducted British and American citizens, and held them captive until they were sent to sea as unwilling sailors. Included are personal accounts of thirteen men and a chapter on Dartmoor Prison which held thousands of impressed Americans during the War of 1812"--Provided by publisher.
pt. I. Impressed
James R. Durand
pt. II. Afterward
William Molyneux afterward
John Newton afterward
Joseph Bates afterward
Jacob Nagle afterward
Joshua Penny afterward.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Herman V. Ames Fund.
Herman V. Ames Fund.
- 9780786443741 (pbk. : alk. paper)
078644374X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
The Herman V. Ames Fund Home Page