This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Catholic Church.
- Standardized title:
- Missal. Selections
- ca. 1150-1175.
1 item (1 leaf) : parchment ; 349 x 236 (250 x 163) mm.
- Cistercians -- Liturgy -- Texts.
Missals -- Specimens.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 12th century.
- In Latin.
- Leaf from a Cistercian missal containing texts from the Mass for Septuagesima Sunday, including readings from 1 Corinthians (9:24-10:4) and Matthew (20:1-10, incomplete). Written in Austria or southern Germany, in 24 long lines of a protogothic script. Decorated with 3 4-line initials, one each in red, green, and blue with a green checkerboard; 1 2-line initial in red; 1-line initials alternating red and green throughout; initials slashed with red; rubrics in red. Bound in full calf over boards with marbled endsheets by Edward Bayntun of Bayntun's of Bath.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Henry Charles Lea Fund.
- Parent manuscript sold as part of the residue of the estate of Arnold Mettler of St. Gall at auction at Parke-Bernet Galleries,
30 Nov. 1948, lot 317, to Otto F. Ege.
Leaf described in this record sold by the family of Cleveland manuscripts dealer Otto F. Ege at auction at Sotheby's, 26 Nov. 1985, lot 44.
Sold by King Alfred's Notebook (Cayce, S.C.), cat. 2 (2010), no. 7.
- Related collections:
- Other known leaves from the same manuscript are MS 9/1:87, Kenneth Spencer Research Library, University of Kansas; and Acc. 1953.59, Toledo Museum of Art.
- Mettler, Arnold, former owner.
Ege, Otto F., former owner.
- Web link:
- The Henry Charles Lea Fund Home Page
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order