This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Angeli, Francesco Maria, 1632-1698.
- Other title:
- Collis Paradisi amoenitas
Sacri Conventus Assisiensis historiae libri II
Sacri Conventus Assisiensis historiae ...
- Montefalisco : Ex typographia seminarii ..., MDCCIV .
, 104, 78 [i.e. 80], , 16 p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill., coat of arms, plans ; 30 cm. (fol.)
- emo- o.us uea- gaex (3) 1704 (R)
- Sacro convento di S. Francesco (Assisi, Italy)
San Francesco (Church : Assisi, Italy)
Franciscans -- History -- Early works to 1800.
Franciscan architecture -- Early works to 1800.
Assisi (Italy) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- Italy Montefiascone.
- Angeli used the archives of the Sacro Convento to write this detailed history of the Franciscan order and description of the Basilica and Sacro Convento, as well as other important Franciscan sites. Providoni's etchings show the town of Assisi, bird's-eye views of the convent and church seen from the north and south, an interior view of the vault, and several plans of the nearby Franciscan churches and sanctuaries, including the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli, with the Porziuncola.
- Date precedes imprint on title page.
"Icon amoris Christi, & Francisci duobus epigrammatum centuriis expressa. Auctore P.M. Balthasare Paglia ...": 16 p. at end.
Dedicated to Pope Clement XI.
Leaves of plates, including frontispiece, drawn and etched by Franciscus Providonus; etched and engraved allegorical frontispiece illustrates Genesis 2:10.
Woodcuts: inhabited initials; head- and tailpieces; coat of arms of Pope Clement XI on title page.
Signatures: [superscript pi]A⁴ A-N⁴, ²A-K⁴ chi1, ³A-B⁴.
Errors in pagination: p. 55 (leaf ²G3 recto) numbered "56", numbers 71 and 72 (leaves ²I4 and ²K1) repeated.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Constance L. Rosenthal Book Fund.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Perkins Architectural Rare Book Fund.
Penn Libraries copy has the bookseller's description laid in.
Penn Libraries copy has contemporary ms. ownership inscription of an unidentified Franciscan convent (partly illegible) on the front free endpaper.
Penn Libraries copy has effaced ms. inscription on the title page.
- Cited in:
- Fumagalli, p. 244
Manzoni, L. Bibliografia degli statuti, ordini e leggi dei municipii italiani, I:114
- Carosi, Francesco Antonio Felice.
Providoni, Francesco, d. 1697?
Constance L. Rosenthal Book Fund.
Perkins Architectural Rare Book Fund.
- Paglia, Baldassarre, 1662-1705. Icon amoris Christi et Francisci duobus epigrammatum centuriis expressa.
- Web link:
- The Constance L. Rosenthal Book Fund Home Page
The Perkins Architectural Rare Book Fund Home Page
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order