Access, holdings & availability
- New York : Springer Pub. Co., c2011.
xxvi, 291 p. : ill., map ; 23 cm.
- Disaster nursing -- United States -- History.
- Medical subjects:
- Disasters -- history -- United States.
Nurse's Role -- history -- United States.
History, 19th Century -- United States.
History, 20th Century -- United States.
History, 21st Century -- United States.
- The 1878 yellow fever epidemic in Mississippi : "for God's sake, send us some nurses and doctors" / Deanne Stephens Nuwer
The 1900 Galveston hurricane : "unspeakable calamity" / Barbra Mann Wall
The San Francisco earthquake and fire, 1906 : "a lifetime of experience" / Barbra Mann Wall and Marie E. Kelly
The Monongah mine disaster, December 1907 : a "roar like a thousand Niagras" / John C. Kirchgessner
Nurses' response across geographic boundaries in the Halifax disaster, December 6, 1917 : border crossings / Deborah A. Sampson
The Boston Instructive District Nurses Association and the 1918 influenza epidemic : "intelligent cooperation" / Arlene W. Keeling
The 1921 Tulsa race riot and the "angels of mercy" / Barbra Mann Wall
The New London, Texas, school explosion, 1937 : "unparalleled disaster" / Barbra Mann Wall
The 1942 Cocoanut Grove nightclub fire : out of the ashes / Patricia A. Connor Ballard
The great Alaska earthquake of 1964 : lessons in leadership / Barbra Mann Wall
Gendered notions of expertise and bravery : New York City 2001 / Julie A. Fairman and Jonathan Gilbride
A tale of two shelters : a Katrina story, 2005 / Teresa M. O'Neill and Patricia M. Prechter
Striving for the "new normal" : the aftermath of international disasters / Audrey Snyder, Fusun Terzioglu, and Arlene W. Keeling.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Edward Potts Cheyney Memorial Fund.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Frances C. Thielbar Memorial Fund.
- Wall, Barbra Mann.
Keeling, Arlene Wynbeek, 1948-
Edward Potts Cheyney Memorial Fund.
Frances C. Thielbar Memorial Fund.
- Web link:
- The Edward Potts Cheyney Memorial Fund Home Page
The Frances C. Thielbar Memorial Fund Home Page