This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Brézin, E.
- New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2010.
x, 166 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Phase transformations (Statistical physics)
Field theory (Physics)
- "Knowledge of the renormalization group and field theory is a key part of physics, and is essential in condensed matter and particle physics. Written for advanced undergraduate and beginning graduate students, this textbook provides a concise introduction to this subject. The textbook deals directly with the loop-expansion of the free-energy, also known as the background field method. This is a powerful method, especially when dealing with symmetries, and statistical mechanics. In focussing on free-energy, the author avoids long developments on field theory techniques. The necessity of renormalization then follows"-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note: 1. A few well-known basic results; 2. Introduction: order parameters, broken symmetries; 3. Examples of physical situations modelled by the Ising model; 4. A few results about the Ising model; 5. High temperature and low temperature expansions; 6. Some geometric problems related to phase transitions; 7. Phenomenological description of the critical behaviour; 8. Mean field theory; 9. Beyond mean field theory; 10. Introduction to the renormalization group; 11. Renormalization group for the [phi]4 theory; 12. Renormalized theory; 13. Goldstone modes; 14. Large n; Index.
- Includes index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Jessie A. Rodman Fund.
- Jessie A. Rodman Fund.
- 9780521193030 (hardback)
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
- The Jessie A. Rodman Fund Home Page
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order