This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Prout, Samuel, 1783-1852.
- ca. 1839-1846.
Prout, Samuel, 1783-1852 -- Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc.
Artists' preparatory studies -- England -- 19th century.
Art, English -- 19th century.
France -- Pictorial works.
Italy -- Pictorial works.
Switzerland -- Pictorial works.
Manuscripts, English -- 19th century.
- Established draughtsman, watercolor painter, and art teacher born in Plymouth, England, died in London.
- Comprises sketches on 74 leaves from Prout's continental tour of France, Switzerland, and Italy dating between 1839 and 1846. His studies of streetscapes, landscapes, and architectural interiors capture views in Orleans, Reims, Venice, Verona, and the Alpine region. Some sketches have notations by the artist regarding color, suggesting the drawing's use for a later watercolor. In addition, there are some place name notes and small studies.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Edward W. Lanius Book Fund for Romance Language Collections.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Class of 1953 Fund.
- Sold by Samuel Gedge Ltd. (Mundesley, England), cat. 9 (2011), no. 90.
- Web link:
The Edward W. Lanius Book Fund for Romance Language Collections Home Page
The Class of 1953 Fund Home Page