Access, holdings & availability
Table of contents only
- Hegel, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich, 1770-1831.
- Standardized title:
- Wissenschaft der Logik. English
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, c2010.
Hegel, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich, 1770-1831. English. 2009. Cambridge University Press. Selections.
Cambridge Hegel translations
lxxiv, 790 p. ; 24 cm.
- Translated from the German.
- "The purpose of the Cambridge Hegel Translations is to offer translations of the best modern German editions of Hegel's work in a uniform format suitable for Hegel scholars, together with philosophical introductions and full editorial apparatus. This new translation of The Science of Logic by G.W. F. Hegel (also known as his Greater Logic) includes the revised Book One (1832), Book Two (1813), and Book Three (1816). Recent research has given us a detailed picture of the process that led Hegel to his final conception of the System of Philosophy and of the place of the Logic within it.We now understand how and why Hegel distanced himself from Schelling, how radical this break with his early mentor was, and to what extent it entailed a return (but with a difference) to Fichte and Kant. In the introduction to the volume, George di Giovanni presents in synoptic form the results of recent scholarship on the subject, and, while recognizing the fault lines in Hegel's System that allow opposite interpretations, argues that the Logic marks the end of classical metaphysics. The translation is accompanied by a full apparatus of historical and explanatory notes"-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note: Acknowledgments; List of abbreviations; Introduction; Notes on the translation; The Science of Logic: Preface to the first edition; Preface to the second edition; Introduction; Book I: the doctrine of being; Book II: essence; Book III: the doctrine of the concept; Appendix: Hegel's logic in its revised and unrevised parts; Bibliography; Index.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Sabin W. Colton, Jr., Memorial Fund.
Di Giovanni, George, 1935-
Sabin W. Colton, Jr., Memorial Fund.
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
Contributor biographical information
The Sabin W. Colton, Jr., Memorial Fund Home Page