This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- Standardized title:
- Elements. Book 1-6. English
- Other title:
- Elements of Euclid, in which coloured diagrams and symbols are used instead of letters for the greater ease of learners
- Köln : Taschen, c2010.
xxix, 268 p. : col. ill. ; 24 cm + 1 commentary volume (95 p. : col. ill. ; 24 cm)
- Euclid. Elements.
Geometry -- History.
De Morgan, Augustus, 1806-1871.
- Full-color facsimile reproduction of Byrne's 1847 edition, accompanied by a volume of commentary.
"This remarkable example of Victorian printing has been described as one of the most peculiar yet beautiful books of the 19th century"--Publisher's leaflet laid in case.
Facsimile volume originally published: London : William Pickering, 1847.
The accompanying commentary volume contains two essays by Werner Oechslin; each essay is printed in the original German and in English and French translations. The English titles of the essays are: Euclid's geometry, (not) a Via Regia?; and, "To facilitate their acquirement" : Oliver Byrne's The first six books of the Elements of Euclid : didactic, colourful, and eccentric.
"Project management: Petra Lamers-Schütze, Cologne"--Commentary volume, p. 95.
Includes bibliographical references (commentary volume, p. 93-95).
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Orville H. Bullitt Classics Fund.
- Byrne, Oliver.
Orville H. Bullitt Classics Fund.
- Web link:
- The Orville H. Bullitt Classics Fund Home Page