Access, holdings & availability
- Basingstoke ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
x, 243 p. ; 23 cm.
- Women in motion pictures.
Motion pictures for women.
Motion pictures and women.
Women on television.
Television and women.
- "A timely intervention into debates on the representation of feminist and feminine identities in contemporary visual culture. The essays in this collection interrogate how and why certain formulations of feminism and femininity are currently prevalent in mainstream cinema and television, offering new insights into postfeminist media phenomena"-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note: Introduction
GENERATIONS. Nancy Meyers and Popular Feminism / K. Glitre
'I'm nothing like you!' Postfeminist Generationalism and Female Stardom in the Contemporary Chick Flick / S. Cobb
Alias: Quality Television and the New Woman Professional / R. White
The Horrors of Home: Feminism and Femininity in the Suburban Gothic / M. Waters
SEX AND SEXUALITY. Bad Girls in Crisis: The New Teenage Femme Fatale / K. Farrimond
Butch Lesbians: Televising Female Masculinity / H. Fenwick
'Challenging and Alternative': Screening Queer Girls on Channel 4 / M. Zeller-Jacques
THE MAKEOVER. Under the Knife: Feminism and Cosmetic Surgery in Contemporary Culture / S. Genz
Imperialist Projections: Manners, Makeovers, and Models of Nationality / B.R. Weber
Femininity Repackaged: Postfeminism and Ladette to Lady / A. Mith
Performing Postfeminist Identities: Gender, Costume and Transformation in Teen Cinema / S. Gilligan
VIOLENCE. Return of the 'Angry Woman': Authenticating Female Physical Action in Contemporary Cinema / L. Purse
Negotiating Shifts in Feminism: The 'Bad' Girls of James Bond / L. Funnell
A Pathological Romance: Authority, Expert Knowledge and the Postfeminist Profiler/ L. Steenberg
'A Caligula-like despot': Matriarchal Tyranny in The Sopranos/ A. Gething.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Jacobs Family Cinema Studies Fund.
- Waters, Melanie, 1979-
Jacobs Family Cinema Studies Fund.
- 9780230229655 (hardback)
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
- The Jacobs Family Cinema Studies Fund Home Page